Main Menu

Israel

Started by GDS_Starfury, October 07, 2023, 07:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on October 28, 2023, 07:48:55 PM^Good.

Only partly.  He's done a good job of setting himself up as a little tyrant.  Those secular movements are mostly concentrated in the western parts of the country and the east is increasingly Islamist.

The extreme Islamic right in Turkey is pushing hard for an eventual Iran style Islamic Revolution. 

Never forget that even today a large segment of Iran is secular and has mostly what would be considered Western values but live in a nightmare police state.  I've got a lot of friends who are Iranian ex-pats who are from that group.  They dream of a life where they can return to their homes and families and live in a freedom they believe Iran deserves.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^I do too. The Iranians that I am friends with here in New York are some of the warmest, kindest people I know.

And some of the women...hubba hubba. That's Persian for 'hawt.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on October 28, 2023, 08:31:58 PM^I do too. The Iranians that I am friends with here in New York are some of the warmest, kindest people I know.

And some of the women...hubba hubba. That's Persian for 'hawt.'

Yeah, same.  We have a "Little Persia" here in Montgomery, that's mostly moved off to Pike Road.  I had a lot of those kids as my students and parents as friends.  They're heavy into local business ownership here and a few of those guys and girls were people I've known since High School. 

Extremely decent people.   They hate what's happening in Iran with a white hot fury that I can't even comprehend.  They feel like the birthright of their entire nation and culture has been taken from them.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Most of the people I know here are through my wife's family. The patriarch and his wife fled here in 1979 and were extremely wealthy in Iran. Here the man became a surgeon. One of their daughters is pretty well known:

https://www.instagram.com/yasminvossoughian/?hl=en

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

Can't locate the thread for posting hypocrisy, so I'll post it here.  https://ca.rogers.yahoo.com/news/russia-says-israels-gaza-bombardment-114134986.html

QuoteRussian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said that Israel's bombardment of Gaza runs counter to international law and risks creating a catastrophe that could last decades.

Maybe Lavrov will end up being the joker in the deck of cards.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Uberhaus on October 28, 2023, 09:15:32 PMMaybe Lavrov will end up being the joker in the deck of cards.

Send Lavrov to Gaza to put a flower in the barrel of an IDF soldiers' gun.

GDS_Starfury

ok hive mine, go aggregate info on sponge bombs.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

al_infierno

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 27, 2023, 08:56:59 PMlooking for confirmation on this statement.

QuoteNews: USMC Lt. Gen. James Glynn, dispatched by Pentagon to advise Israel on risks inherent in an invasion of Gaza Strip, has returned to the US.

"Make no mistake: what is, has or will unfold in Gaza is purely an Israeli decision." -USMC commandant Gen. Eric Smith told reporters.

I saw the video myself, I don't have the link offhand but it's definitely real.

I know not to believe everything I read that pops up due to propaganda, but I have to admit I'm extremely disturbed by the death tolls being reported in Gaza, including that of children.  I have to wonder if what appears to be mass bombing campaigns will really help root out Hamas rather than embolden survivors to join them.  Their leaders aren't even present in Gaza, but rather living comfortably in cities far from the conflict.

I don't feel that I'm in a position to criticize Israel for what measures they choose to take to defend themselves, but it makes me extremely uncomfortable to read about what's going on and know that one of our major representatives is essentially washing the United States' hands of Israel's conduct.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MikeGER

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 28, 2023, 11:58:02 PMsponge bombs.

its probably a PU foam, (expanding foam in your DIY-store)

the tricky part is to optimze a method of application for field use and the mixture for a bit faster reaction and more volume (bigger bubbles in the foam) 

(there is a 1-component variant which needs humidity to expand  and has an expansion factor of 55
so a 400ml can  expand to  22 liter of foam )

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on October 29, 2023, 01:00:06 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 27, 2023, 08:56:59 PMlooking for confirmation on this statement.

QuoteNews: USMC Lt. Gen. James Glynn, dispatched by Pentagon to advise Israel on risks inherent in an invasion of Gaza Strip, has returned to the US.

"Make no mistake: what is, has or will unfold in Gaza is purely an Israeli decision." -USMC commandant Gen. Eric Smith told reporters.

I saw the video myself, I don't have the link offhand but it's definitely real.

I know not to believe everything I read that pops up due to propaganda, but I have to admit I'm extremely disturbed by the death tolls being reported in Gaza, including that of children.  I have to wonder if what appears to be mass bombing campaigns will really help root out Hamas rather than embolden survivors to join them.  Their leaders aren't even present in Gaza, but rather living comfortably in cities far from the conflict.

It isn't anywhere close to a "mass bombing campaign". Israel is using precision strikes to hit valid military targets. Once again, it is not fair or logical to expect Israel to avoid civilian casualties when those civilians are used by Hamas as shields for the most critical of command, logistical and offensive sites. Of course civilians will die, but the blood is on hamas' hands. Furthermore, I've said it many times here and nobody has really commented...in world war 2, and wars since, by the way, we bombed cities indiscriminately in order to destroy the enemies will and ability to fight. Nobody questioned or was concerned about whether the hundreds of thousands of civilians who died or were displaced were actual nazis or Tojo supporting samurai. It was total war, and the more damage inflicted, the faster the end would come. Why should Israel now be held to an entirely different standard?

Finally, there are leaders and commanders in Gaza, as should be evident from the reports of the numbers of them who have been killed.

Quote from: al_infierno on October 29, 2023, 01:00:06 AMI don't feel that I'm in a position to criticize Israel for what measures they choose to take to defend themselves, but it makes me extremely uncomfortable to read about what's going on and know that one of our major representatives is essentially washing the United States' hands of Israel's conduct.

Why should the US in any way be responsible for how Israel fights its war? Weren't we complaining about NATO interference in how Ukraine fights its war? I believe most felt that the US should provide Ukraine with the weapons and let Ukraine decide for itself the best way to employ them. Why the difference in attitude here?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: al_infierno on October 29, 2023, 01:00:06 AMI have to admit I'm extremely disturbed by the death tolls being reported in Gaza, including that of children. 

the last thing I'm going believe right now are hamas casualty reports.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

al_infierno

I don't really see how you can look at this image and characterize it as the result of precise strikes and not mass bombing. By all accounts, swathes of Gaza is being leveled. Was every one of the buildings in this picture a command, logistical, or offensive site?

As for the Ukraine comparison, the obvious difference is that Ukraine isn't bombing any Russian cities as far as I'm aware, and certainly not to the extent that Gaza is getting bombed.

JH I agree that the blood is on Hamas's hands. My point was that when this is over, I'm concerned Hamas will actually grow stronger due to further radicalization of Palestinians toward their cause.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

my off the cuff analogy would be thinking about that one area of Chicago were all the shitty things happen.