Main Menu

Israel

Started by GDS_Starfury, October 07, 2023, 07:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

most people cant be bothered to learn history or care about it.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

If I ask my daughters right now: 'What do I always say?' they will, with 100% certainty, respond 'People are morons.'

I hate being proven right every single day, like 25 times.

But I guess it comes in handy when dealing with things from the most mundane (bad drivers) to epic levels of idiocy like denying the Holocaust.

Best to know that these people are out there and just prepare accordingly.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

Quote from: Gusington on December 09, 2023, 01:54:26 PMIf I ask my daughters right now: 'What do I always say?' they will, with 100% certainty, respond 'People are morons.'

I hate being proven right every single day, like 25 times.

But I guess it comes in handy when dealing with things from the most mundane (bad drivers) to epic levels of idiocy like denying the Holocaust.

Best to know that these people are out there and just prepare accordingly.

How is your and your family's Krav Maga?

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

steve58

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 09, 2023, 12:15:35 PMmost people cant be bothered to learn history or care about it.

They can't learn what is not taught or denigrated by their so-called teachers.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

al_infierno

Quote from: steve58 on December 09, 2023, 03:42:02 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 09, 2023, 12:15:35 PMmost people cant be bothered to learn history or care about it.

American schools still spend a ton of time teaching the holocaust.  It's absolutely not the fault of the education system except insofar as not teaching critical thinking skills.

IMO it's more the fault of social media giving platforms to people who spread misinformation and disguise it as being some secret knowledge hidden by mainstream media/schools.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

My family's krav maga ain't bad. My younger daughter is a unit and with the right training could be very dangerous.

The Wife has always been shredded and I joke to friends that she is my bodyguard...except I really mean it  :3musketeer:

My older daughter, like me, is too kind to really do anyone any real harm unless directly threatened.

And our dog is a huge doofus but doesn't like anyone approaching any of us that he doesn't know. He knows he's Jewish.

I agree with you Al on education, at least in our district. It is excellent here but there is no combatting the sea of total idiots on line. The best I can do about that is laugh and point at them, and then quietly curse them later on for being so stupid and contagious.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Quote from: al_infierno on December 09, 2023, 04:32:13 PM

American schools still spend a ton of time teaching the holocaust.  It's absolutely not the fault of the education system except insofar as not teaching critical thinking skills.

IMO it's more the fault of social media giving platforms to people who spread misinformation and disguise it as being some secret knowledge hidden by mainstream media/schools.

C'mon, even CNN says otherwise.  Granted the article is from 2021, but 31 states don't even require that the Holocaust be taught?  More than half of American adults don't know how many people died in the Holocaust?  11% of millennial and Gen Z respondents said they believe Jews caused the Holocaust?  I'd bet that number has gone up since Oct 7.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SirAndrewD

Last time I was teaching I was competing directly with YouTube and having to spend time explaining to my students that the world was really, definitely round.  When you're starting from that position it's an uphill fight for almost anything.

So no, it doesn't shock me that people increasingly believe the Holocaust didn't happen.  I had quite a bit of those too, even back in Private School in the early '00's but I can assure you it wasn't for my lack of teaching it or even having resources or backing of administration.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

Quote from: steve58 on December 09, 2023, 05:04:43 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on December 09, 2023, 04:32:13 PM

C'mon, even CNN says otherwise.  Granted the article is from 2021, but 31 states don't even require that the Holocaust be taught?  More than half of American adults don't know how many people died in the Holocaust?  11% of millennial and Gen Z respondents said they believe Jews caused the Holocaust?  I'd bet that number has gone up since Oct 7.

That article does not say schools are not teaching about the Holocaust.  The article is primarily talking about how Holocaust comparisons cheapen its history, and points out that many states don't have laws officially requiring the Holocaust to be taught in schools.  That's not the same thing as "schools aren't teaching about the Holocaust."

The trend I see on hellhole sites like Twitter and TikTok among budding antisemites is the notion that the Holocaust is actually over-emphasized, thus it's the work of a Jewish cabal who want to brainwash you.

Also, I don't really find not knowing the exact number of deaths in the Holocaust to be compelling evidence that the Holocaust is simply not being taught.  For one, the number varies depending on how wide a net you cast (e.g. do you include non-Jewish slavs, queer people, etc or do you keep it strictly on Jewish deaths?), but I would guess the majority of people who aren't grognards or history buffs simply don't tend to keep things like mass murder death tolls in their back pocket.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on December 09, 2023, 05:29:18 PMThat article does not say schools are not teaching about the Holocaust.  The article is primarily talking about how Holocaust comparisons cheapen its history, and points out that many states don't have laws officially requiring the Holocaust to be taught in schools.  That's not the same thing as "schools aren't teaching about the Holocaust."

Exactly this.  Alabama does not mandate the teaching of the Holocaust, yet I promise you I was teaching it at both Private and Public school at all levels taking World History. 

It was in every textbook we had, it was on the test materials in public school that we were required to use, and I don't know of any World History teacher that didn't cover it when they got to it in the material. 

What is true is that the vast majority of the history teachers at the places I taught weren't degreed in the subject and often times knew about as much about History as someone who frequents the Armchair Historian channel.  They covered the text and heck, half the time would use YouTube as their lecture.  So it's hard for kids to be educated in it when the educators don't have a lot of background themselves.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

The last time I taught was just about 20 years ago and YouTube and TikTok didn't even exist, but would you believe it if I told you...there were still Holocaust deniers then?

Growing in Brooklyn amongst tons of Jews, it used to be hard for me to believe that deniers like this existed in the wider world.

Now that I am in the strict minority up in semi-rural NY State...well...it's crystal clear all these years later that deniers clearly exist.

But for the majority of deniers I think they are not coming at the issue from a purely evil perspective. Similar to what was posted above, most people who lean that way just don't give an f...in anything, really. They are more concerned about Dunkin' running out of their favorite drink or the McRib coming back. This is the world we live in.

I still think it is a smaller, hardcore group that are true believers in Jewish extermination. Since October that number has most likely gone up.

Or maybe I'm just being naive again. Maybe I should just watch video of Nazi marches in Charlottesville or Asheville again.

I dunno  :buck2:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on December 09, 2023, 06:26:16 PMThe last time I taught was just about 20 years ago and YouTube and TikTok didn't even exist, but would you believe it if I told you...there were still Holocaust deniers then?

I would.  I was teaching 20 years ago as well and not only did I have deniers, but I had a couple of full on youth KKK members. 

I even got a warning from a parent once that I better "Teach the Holohoax right". 

I was young and full of piss and vinegar back then so I probably kicked a few hornets nests with those people that I should've thought better about doing. 

Gusington

Was that warning in person?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on December 09, 2023, 06:51:22 PMWas that warning in person?

Oh yes.  And no I didn't get myself fired by slugging him. 

I however made sure I needled in other ways.