Do they know it's Friday after all?

Started by MetalDog, January 03, 2014, 07:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on January 04, 2014, 04:05:52 AM
Quote from: tgb on January 04, 2014, 03:29:08 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 03, 2014, 01:19:52 PM
Quote from: tgb on January 03, 2014, 07:52:58 AM
Blackguards and Wizardry 8 for sure.  Perhaps some Rise of Venice aswell.

I expect a report on Blackguards.  :)

It's very good and quite polished for an "early access" game.  It's essentially a series of deep turn-based tactical battles broken up by occasional forays into towns to regain health and upgrade equipment.  It's not completely linear, but it's not an open world game either.  I would compare it to Temple of Elemental Evil, but instead of D&D it uses the ruleset of Germany's "Dark Eye" games (Drakensang, Realms of Arkania), so character building is also very deep.  There are no technical issues that I can see. and other than some of the locations having placeholder text, and some balance issues, you'd never know it was a beta. The story is broken into chapters, and the developers are saying that the fifth and final chapter will be released the end of this month, and the game will be "finished".  From what I can tell they've been very good about sticking to their announced schedule so far.

Excellent.

Thanks tgb!  :)

I looked at some gameplay videos. It looks like all you do is fight and then go to a cut scene, then fight and back to a cut scene. Is there any walking around and exploring? I love to fight but a lot of the fun in these games comes from just exploring the world.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Toonces

For no real good reason I finally decided to spend some time learning Wargame: AirLand Battle.  It took a bit of an investment of time, but I think I'm starting to understand it a little bit.  It doesn't help that I really don't know the nuances between most of the ground vehicles, so picking the right tool for the job has been challenging.

I'm playing through the first, easy campaign right now.  I'm not doing a very good job of it, but I am starting to understand the gist of the game.

It's not as clicky as I expected, but then again I'm playing small 2500 or less point battles so far.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Kushan

I used some Gamersgate blue coins and got Rogue Legacy. I've been eying it on Steam for a few months but its currently $5 at GG. Starts out rather difficult (could just because I suck at platformers) but it is still fun. Happy I finally got my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

Quote from: Kushan on January 05, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
I used some Gamersgate blue coins and got Rogue Legacy. I've been eying it on Steam for a few months but its currently $5 at GG. Starts out rather difficult (could just because I suck at platformers) but it is still fun. Happy I finally got my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC.

I couldn't survive long enough to enjoy it. 

I generally haven't played any platformers since the original Nintendo days, except maybe Terraria but that one doesn't feel quite so platformer to me.   Rogue Legacy, however, murderizes me in record time.  Every time.  I can't get enough loot to buy anything - maybe once I got some very minor upgrade.  Even using a 360 controller didn't help.  I don't think I made it past three rooms in. 

Normally I catch on quick to most games, and can even manage the twitchy stuff well enough, but RL was the death of me.  I gave up.

Kushan

Quote from: Nefaro on January 06, 2014, 12:19:32 AM
Quote from: Kushan on January 05, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
I used some Gamersgate blue coins and got Rogue Legacy. I've been eying it on Steam for a few months but its currently $5 at GG. Starts out rather difficult (could just because I suck at platformers) but it is still fun. Happy I finally got my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC.

I couldn't survive long enough to enjoy it. 

I generally haven't played any platformers since the original Nintendo days, except maybe Terraria but that one doesn't feel quite so platformer to me.   Rogue Legacy, however, murderizes me in record time.  Every time.  I can't get enough loot to buy anything - maybe once I got some very minor upgrade.  Even using a 360 controller didn't help.  I don't think I made it past three rooms in. 

Normally I catch on quick to most games, and can even manage the twitchy stuff well enough, but RL was the death of me.  I gave up.

Yea. It is a frustrating game at times. I have all the starter armor/weapons/runes I can buy, go into what I'm assuming is the first the bosses room and get killed in one shot. But I have noticed every time I go into the dungeon I'm doing a little better.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

undercovergeek

Quote from: Toonces on January 05, 2014, 11:17:43 PM
For no real good reason I finally decided to spend some time learning Wargame: AirLand Battle.  It took a bit of an investment of time, but I think I'm starting to understand it a little bit.  It doesn't help that I really don't know the nuances between most of the ground vehicles, so picking the right tool for the job has been challenging.

I'm playing through the first, easy campaign right now.  I'm not doing a very good job of it, but I am starting to understand the gist of the game.

It's not as clicky as I expected, but then again I'm playing small 2500 or less point battles so far.

It's on my to do list of 2014 to get my money's worth from this

mikeck

Quote from: Toonces on January 05, 2014, 11:17:43 PM
For no real good reason I finally decided to spend some time learning Wargame: AirLand Battle.  It took a bit of an investment of time, but I think I'm starting to understand it a little bit.  It doesn't help that I really don't know the nuances between most of the ground vehicles, so picking the right tool for the job has been challenging.

I'm playing through the first, easy campaign right now.  I'm not doing a very good job of it, but I am starting to understand the gist of the game.

It's not as clicky as I expected, but then again I'm playing small 2500 or less point battles so far.

I just started trying to figure this one out as well. For me, it's not so much that it is a continual click fest because it's not...it's once combat starts. It goes so fast I can't tell what's going in. I end up click dragging and attacking  and by that time, I'm dead.

I'm going to keep trying ..just like my endless space experience
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

BanzaiCat

The biggest challenge in this game for a newcomer is to understand the units' strengths and weaknesses. It rather boils down to something like rock-paper-scissors, in essence. I know that's oversimplifying it, but that's my perspective.

Kushan

#53
Quote from: Nefaro on January 06, 2014, 12:19:32 AM
Quote from: Kushan on January 05, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
I used some Gamersgate blue coins and got Rogue Legacy. I've been eying it on Steam for a few months but its currently $5 at GG. Starts out rather difficult (could just because I suck at platformers) but it is still fun. Happy I finally got my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC.

I couldn't survive long enough to enjoy it. 

I generally haven't played any platformers since the original Nintendo days, except maybe Terraria but that one doesn't feel quite so platformer to me.   Rogue Legacy, however, murderizes me in record time.  Every time.  I can't get enough loot to buy anything - maybe once I got some very minor upgrade.  Even using a 360 controller didn't help.  I don't think I made it past three rooms in. 

Normally I catch on quick to most games, and can even manage the twitchy stuff well enough, but RL was the death of me.  I gave up.

After playing it some more this morning, I think I agree with you. I've got exploring the castle down rather well but its still instant kill as soon as I run into a boss or mini boss. At this point all I can do is to keep doing gold runs and hope I get enough to get a health upgrade. Its the worse part of the grinding in Diablo 3 (although from my experience on the PTR this weekend they seem to have solved the gear drop problem most people had with D3).
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Kushan on January 06, 2014, 12:39:21 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 06, 2014, 12:19:32 AM
Quote from: Kushan on January 05, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
I used some Gamersgate blue coins and got Rogue Legacy. I've been eying it on Steam for a few months but its currently $5 at GG. Starts out rather difficult (could just because I suck at platformers) but it is still fun. Happy I finally got my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC.

I couldn't survive long enough to enjoy it. 

I generally haven't played any platformers since the original Nintendo days, except maybe Terraria but that one doesn't feel quite so platformer to me.   Rogue Legacy, however, murderizes me in record time.  Every time.  I can't get enough loot to buy anything - maybe once I got some very minor upgrade.  Even using a 360 controller didn't help.  I don't think I made it past three rooms in. 

Normally I catch on quick to most games, and can even manage the twitchy stuff well enough, but RL was the death of me.  I gave up.

Yea. It is a frustrating game at times. I have all the starter armor/weapons/runes I can buy, go into what I'm assuming is the first the bosses room and get killed in one shot. But I have noticed every time I go into the dungeon I'm doing a little better.

Well...yeah. It's a roguelike. And as you play through, your characters improve.  ;D

Nefaro

Quote from: Kushan on January 06, 2014, 12:39:21 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 06, 2014, 12:19:32 AM
Quote from: Kushan on January 05, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
I used some Gamersgate blue coins and got Rogue Legacy. I've been eying it on Steam for a few months but its currently $5 at GG. Starts out rather difficult (could just because I suck at platformers) but it is still fun. Happy I finally got my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC.

I couldn't survive long enough to enjoy it. 

I generally haven't played any platformers since the original Nintendo days, except maybe Terraria but that one doesn't feel quite so platformer to me.   Rogue Legacy, however, murderizes me in record time.  Every time.  I can't get enough loot to buy anything - maybe once I got some very minor upgrade.  Even using a 360 controller didn't help.  I don't think I made it past three rooms in. 

Normally I catch on quick to most games, and can even manage the twitchy stuff well enough, but RL was the death of me.  I gave up.

Yea. It is a frustrating game at times. I have all the starter armor/weapons/runes I can buy, go into what I'm assuming is the first the bosses room and get killed in one shot. But I have noticed every time I go into the dungeon I'm doing a little better.


The reason I quit was because I wasn't getting better.  I thought it extremely odd.  We always get better at something, the more experience we have.  But not this.  I walked away in shame after attempting to get better for about an hour and a half.  :(