Main Menu

X-Rebirth

Started by JudgeDredd, May 17, 2014, 12:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on February 27, 2016, 08:21:58 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 27, 2016, 03:29:21 PM
Intrigued, I went to the Steam page to check out the sale. Guess what I found?

QuoteX Rebirth is already in your Steam library

D'oh!

<Snicker> I bet it happens to Jarhead all the time (Mr. 600+ Steam games...)

Nah. I usually err on the side of having it already.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Was a bit surprised I didn't have Rebirth already.

Managed to hold off buying it. I still have, Lord, Evochron and the X3 games to mess with at least.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Shelldrake

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 27, 2016, 10:29:24 PM
Was a bit surprised I didn't have Rebirth already.

Managed to hold off buying it. I still have, Lord, Evochron and the X3 games to mess with at least.

Same here. There is also a new version of Evochron just released that is tempting me.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

PanzersEast

I am tempted to jump back in... IF they have extended the markets and purchasing/controlling powers you have for building your empire.  I found plenty of mods to spice the game up, but in the end I lost interest.  Maybe there is enough there in the patches and the DLC to get back into it as I did enjoy it, however eventually I just fired the meh guns.....

PE 

JasonPratt

The new Evochron is REALLY nice for such a low-rent game. I have played some of it, recently.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

PanzersEast

Anyone jumped back in?  Just wondering because I have yet to pick up any of the DLC and have waited, and waited for them to patch and get X-Rebirth back up to speed.

PE

Yskonyn

Havent had time for a proper sitdown yet.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Geezer

Sorry for the thread necro but X Rebirth Complete is on the Steam sale until Nov. 1st for $12.49.  I already have X3: Terran Conflict and see that X3: Albion Prelude is on sale for $6.99.  Anyone who has played both have any thoughts on which way I should go?  I don't have the time to play both.  Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on October 27, 2017, 12:59:03 PM
Sorry for the thread necro but X Rebirth Complete is on the Steam sale until Nov. 1st for $12.49.  I already have X3: Terran Conflict and see that X3: Albion Prelude is on sale for $6.99.  Anyone who has played both have any thoughts on which way I should go?  I don't have the time to play both.  Thanks.

X3 is a totally different beast from Rebirth.  When Rebirth came out, it was in a pretty poor state, and so different from what people were expecting, it got hammered by fans and the press alike. However, since release, the game has been patched, updated, added to and expanded in a lot of ways that have addressed many of the loudest complaints. However, its still not X4, and is really a very different game. Personally, I would give Rebirth a shot now because X4 is in development and it looks like it will be the game that everyone was hoping Rebirth would have been. So, its hard to justify getting Albion Prelude now if X4 is coming down the pipeline. My vote would be to give Rebirth a shot, since it has really improved and is probably worth the $12.49. Heck, I just picked up the VR version for $25. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Rebirth is a fun little game in the X universe, but its definately not a traditional X game. No big empire to create and other ships to fly. Just upgrading the Junkrat or whatever its called.

While the gameworld feels more alive in Rebirth (until your empire is large enough in X3), I feel X3 is the more rewarding game. Its slower paced, but much more options.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Geezer

Thanks for the replies guys.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

mikeck

Definitely worth the price. I don't mind not being able to pilot other ships and I actually love the concept of ordering a ship to specifications, watching it be built is a ship yard, commanding it to load goods and actually watching the transport droids go back and forth loading material. Things like that are what made it unique. It's not the empire builder X3 was but with mods, you can do a lot. Frankly, it has the best looking damage graphics when you are taking out a huge ship of any games I have seen.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Toonces

^ Following this thread with interst.   :timeout:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

Quote from: mikeck on October 27, 2017, 06:03:06 PM
Definitely worth the price. I don't mind not being able to pilot other ships and I actually love the concept of ordering a ship to specifications, watching it be built is a ship yard, commanding it to load goods and actually watching the transport droids go back and forth loading material. Things like that are what made it unique. It's not the empire builder X3 was but with mods, you can do a lot. Frankly, it has the best looking damage graphics when you are taking out a huge ship of any games I have seen.

I agree! The amount of little details is amazing and really makes the game world feel plausible and alive.
Has the tedious scanning of objects mechanic been changed at all? That was super annoying.

mikeck

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 27, 2017, 08:52:37 PM
Quote from: mikeck on October 27, 2017, 06:03:06 PM

I agree! The amount of little details is amazing and really makes the game world feel plausible and alive.
Has the tedious scanning of objects mechanic been changed at all? That was super annoying.

Dunno. you still fly around the station unlocking trade deals but I think there is a mod that increases
The range that you can detect it so you dont have to get so close. I think anyway
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson