Free-key Monday for Making History: The Great War

Started by MuzzyDev, June 02, 2014, 12:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MuzzyDev

Free-key, Free-key!

GX05X-RGCIG-G3JIY
ZQZVE-PVCQI-AIG70



Chris Parsons
Product Manager, Muzzy Lane

OJsDad

I really like the research.  I've always felt that one of the low points of most strategy games is that research costs are always the same, so you break the secret of the order that you need to research, it's pretty much the same from game to game.  But with TGW, you don't get research points, you get chances to earn them.  You know how many points you need, you just don't know how long it will take to get them.  Very good indeed. 

More developers need to implement ways to make the research trees more dynamic. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

GDS_Starfury

the very first thing I do with a city to build up its research value.  piss off the world and take Canada, Central America and the top of South America are your researching quite quickly.   ;D
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


smithcorp

Bother - both keys taken already. Appreciate the offers though - better luck next week!

Rayfer

Got one of the free keys last week and finally got around to playing today. Not enough to draw any conclusions but enough to get the same feel I get with CK2, EUIV and HOI3......lots going on and a steep learning curve. And that's not a criticism, just an observation. All of these games are challenging at first because it's hard to figure out what to do, how much of it to do, and the pacing as you move forward.  I look forward to figuring it out. I see on the Steam forums there are some youtube getting started videos.  Will have to check them out.

GDS_Starfury

you will definitely get to the point about 270 turns in that you need to start over.
and you will.
and then you'll get to the point 350 turns in that you need to start over.
and you will.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


TheCommandTent

Quote from: Rayfer on August 12, 2014, 05:41:16 PM
Got one of the free keys last week and finally got around to playing today. Not enough to draw any conclusions but enough to get the same feel I get with CK2, EUIV and HOI3......lots going on and a steep learning curve. And that's not a criticism, just an observation. All of these games are challenging at first because it's hard to figure out what to do, how much of it to do, and the pacing as you move forward.  I look forward to figuring it out. I see on the Steam forums there are some youtube getting started videos.  Will have to check them out.

Please post the links to any helpful videos you find.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 12, 2014, 08:08:05 PM
you will definitely get to the point about 270 turns in that you need to start over.
and you will.
and then you'll get to the point 350 turns in that you need to start over.
and you will.

I'm like that with all grand strategy games.  Even if I'm doing okay.

Gotta test out different strategies.   ^-^

Rayfer

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 12, 2014, 08:37:44 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 12, 2014, 05:41:16 PM
Got one of the free keys last week and finally got around to playing today. Not enough to draw any conclusions but enough to get the same feel I get with CK2, EUIV and HOI3......lots going on and a steep learning curve. And that's not a criticism, just an observation. All of these games are challenging at first because it's hard to figure out what to do, how much of it to do, and the pacing as you move forward.  I look forward to figuring it out. I see on the Steam forums there are some youtube getting started videos.  Will have to check them out.

Please post the links to any helpful videos you find.

Still looking. The 4 I went through last night were not at all helpful.

GDS_Starfury

so after building up what I can in the Philippines Ive been mostly ignoring it as it seems to revolt later in the game no matter what you do.  what I was surprised by was seeing all these new territories popping up under my control.  it seems they got bored and decided to take Hong Kong, Malaysia and Borneo!  now even though theyre a protectorate Im still not at war with the Dutch or Chinese.   O0
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

and a crash to desktop for being out of memory.
which is odd because Ive got 16 gigs of the good stuff on a pc that isnt 2 months old.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

according to Steam Ive got 93 hours under my belt so far.   8)
the 3th campaign has been interesting.  by 1915 Europe was still very quite and peaceful.  rebels on the Mexican border forced me to act and invade.  this caused the UK to declare war on me dragging its whole alliance along with it.  well....  its now mid 1918 and Central America, Northern South America, France, Ireland, UK, Germany, Italy, Russia and bits of Africa are now conquered.  Im all set to finish of South America, steamroll the Low Countries and take out Persia. 
Im still running into 'out of memory' crashes.  having superstacks of units seems to be the cause.  Ive got 4 stacks with over 200 units in each on the Persian border and the game hangs when I mouse over one.  done to often and it CTD.  stacks with a max or 50 to 60 units causes no problems.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Rayfer

GDS....I'm 50+ turns into a campaign as the USA.  I'm considering an excursion into Mexico. Appears there will be serious consequences! Seems you can't put artillery into an army stack...I wonder why not?

GDS_Starfury

one of the things I like very much is that the overall dynamic of the game changes each time.  in my first game it was Germany that DOWed me not the UK.  just look at the country's diplomacy screen to see who theyre allied to before attacking.  also keep in mind that the Philippines are a hot mess with no resolution.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Rayfer

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 16, 2014, 02:51:17 PM
one of the things I like very much is that the overall dynamic of the game changes each time.  in my first game it was Germany that DOWed me not the UK.  just look at the country's diplomacy screen to see who theyre allied to before attacking.  also keep in mind that the Philippines are a hot mess with no resolution.

Not sure what to do with the Phillippines...out of sight, out of mind. Probably a mistake.