You can call it FRIDAY another lonely day

Started by undercovergeek, July 11, 2014, 04:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

#30
Probably going to wade a bit deeper into Making History The Great War, try out the updated demo for Battleplan ACW and play around with my latest impulse buy Habitat (which I found out after buying that it does not yet have a Save feature and features from previous demo videos have been removed, but are supposed to be brought back ???)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

DennisS

Dominions 4.

I just started my third game, played for about 30 turns, and looked at the graphs.

....aaand I'm getting my ass kicked. Third from last in total army strength, six from last (out of 16) in total provinces, middle of the pack for research and revenue.

Apparently slow and steady isn't going to work for me...but attacking provinces with less than a true Alpha stack leads to dead armies. Gotta find the middle ground here.

I SUCK at these kind of games!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: DennisS on July 11, 2014, 03:56:43 PM
Dominions 4.

I just started my third game, played for about 30 turns, and looked at the graphs.

....aaand I'm getting my ass kicked. Third from last in total army strength, six from last (out of 16) in total provinces, middle of the pack for research and revenue.

Apparently slow and steady isn't going to work for me...but attacking provinces with less than a true Alpha stack leads to dead armies. Gotta find the middle ground here.

I SUCK at these kind of games!

I will never, ever get the hang of this game, but I'm damned if I'm not having fun playing it!  The strategies are just too intricate and systems too intertwined for me to ever be any good at it, unless it was literally my day job.  Of course, that says more about me than the game.  This is all testament to what an incredible achievement it is.

airboy

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 11, 2014, 04:15:43 PM
Quote from: DennisS on July 11, 2014, 03:56:43 PM
Dominions 4.

I just started my third game, played for about 30 turns, and looked at the graphs.

....aaand I'm getting my ass kicked. Third from last in total army strength, six from last (out of 16) in total provinces, middle of the pack for research and revenue.

Apparently slow and steady isn't going to work for me...but attacking provinces with less than a true Alpha stack leads to dead armies. Gotta find the middle ground here.

I SUCK at these kind of games!

I will never, ever get the hang of this game, but I'm damned if I'm not having fun playing it!  The strategies are just too intricate and systems too intertwined for me to ever be any good at it, unless it was literally my day job.  Of course, that says more about me than the game.  This is all testament to what an incredible achievement it is.

I can consistently beat Dominions 3 with several factions (T'Chien; Ermor; the Fire faction).  I cannot beat it with others.  You have to find both a Pretender build and a faction that you can handle.  The wrong Pretender build with a faction is just deadly.  T'Chien is the only faction that I have mastered which has a highly flexible development plan.  The other factions I have played have a specific way of play against the AI that is pretty consistent from game to game. 

How you set the game parameters also makes a big difference.  Select high initial province defense for independent provinces and your growth rate will be very slow.

You also have to be very flexible in your strategy depending on the random opponents that you get.  You also have to reprogram your spell and troop orders when you attack different groups.  Scouts are essential.

It took quite a bit of study, thought and reading before I figured out how to beat the AI.  Once I figured it out for one faction, I could start seeing how to do it for other factions.  I played T'Chien a lot just to figure out the magic system which is a game in and of itself.

airboy

I'm playing Fallen Enchantress.  If I get time I'll write a review.

Rayfer

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 11, 2014, 02:56:56 PM
^ Yeah, that's kind of weird...IV lets you do that too but I only figured it out on accident. I only had a bow on my Ranger and a sling on my Sorcerer, then I noticed it let me equip a melee and a ranged weapon...then I put bows into everyone's hands, and little gets close enough to me to do damage. Kind of cool hearing six 'twangs' and thok-thok-thok-thok-thok-thok.

Thanks for the tips, I might try VI this weekend just to see. I didn't like I, II, or III, for spending so much time trying to get decent stat rolls, then having something or other go wrong when I finally got into it.

You don't roll stats in VI.  Depending on class choice you get a certain number of points in each skill. Then you have a pool of 50 (if I remember correctly??) points to put wherever you want.

mikeck

But it's so satisfying when you finally put together an army, strategy and magic to beat an enemy army that has been giving you fits
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

KyzBP

It looks like World Cup Fever has struck and I'll be continuing an FM14 save.  I noticed OOTP15 is on sale for 50% off.  It looks like I'll be saying goodbye to OOTP 12.

Also, on my recommendation, a friend at work picked up Warlock.  He's already hooked and asking about playing multi-player.   ;D

Gusington

I would like to try Making History: The Great War but it's more complex than I thought it would be. Any advice?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on July 11, 2014, 06:27:02 PM
I would like to try Making History: The Great War but it's more complex than I thought it would be. Any advice?

Stop being a pussy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

Always good advice. I guess that cancels out anything else.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Blucher

This weekend I have Tex Murphy: Under a killing moon  and Victoria II on tap as well as some Goldstar Beers when I'm not dodging incoming rockets.

MetalDog

Quote from: KyzBP on July 11, 2014, 05:43:23 PM
It looks like World Cup Fever has struck and I'll be continuing an FM14 save.  I noticed OOTP15 is on sale for 50% off.  It looks like I'll be saying goodbye to OOTP 12.

Also, on my recommendation, a friend at work picked up Warlock.  He's already hooked and asking about playing multi-player.   ;D


Did someone say Warlock MP?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Barthheart

Quote from: MetalDog on July 11, 2014, 07:53:15 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on July 11, 2014, 05:43:23 PM
It looks like World Cup Fever has struck and I'll be continuing an FM14 save.  I noticed OOTP15 is on sale for 50% off.  It looks like I'll be saying goodbye to OOTP 12.

Also, on my recommendation, a friend at work picked up Warlock.  He's already hooked and asking about playing multi-player.   ;D


Did someone say Warlock MP?

Don't do it!  :o  :knuppel2:

KyzBP

Quote from: Barthheart on July 11, 2014, 10:40:43 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 11, 2014, 07:53:15 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on July 11, 2014, 05:43:23 PM
It looks like World Cup Fever has struck and I'll be continuing an FM14 save.  I noticed OOTP15 is on sale for 50% off.  It looks like I'll be saying goodbye to OOTP 12.

Also, on my recommendation, a friend at work picked up Warlock.  He's already hooked and asking about playing multi-player.   ;D


Did someone say Warlock MP?

Don't do it!  :o  :knuppel2:
I hope to give it a try soon.  I wouldn't mind starting out against an inexperienced player...like MetalDog... ;)