Grand Prix Racing Online (browser F1 management sim)

Started by Huw the Poo, October 08, 2014, 03:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Huw the Poo

Would anyone care to play some GPRO?  You don't have to be a fan of Formula 1 - I'm certainly not - to enjoy it (but it probably enhances it if you are).  As browser-based sims go it's by far the best I've ever played.  Free to play with optional purchase of supporter credits for quality-of-life enhancements.

In a nutshell, you are the manager of a team, so as well as managing the car, team and pit crew you also need to hire your driver, train him, and enter him in races.  The current season just ended (I scored a whopping one point) and a new one will start soon so now is the ideal time to sign up.

There are two races per week, Tuesday and Friday.  Before each race you will run practice laps to develop your driver and car, work with your driver to find the ideal tuning for the coming track, qualify, set race strategies and so on.  The races can be watched live (a semi-dynamic race screen which updates every two minutes with the next lap) and also in retrospect, with the ability to chat with other managers.  Things that affect each race are weather, driver mistakes, race strategy (e.g. how aggressive should your driver be at the start of the race, should he take risks overtaking), pit strategy, fuel strategy, etc.  Even such things as should you pit straight away if it starts raining, or pit after a few laps in case it was a brief shower, etc.

It's enormously detailed.  The website has a screenshot tour and feature overview so you can see I'm not exaggerating.  You'll find yourself building a spreadsheet to keep track of track data, fuel consumption under various conditions, etc.  The goal of course is to win each season and be promoted to a higher group, but a cup also runs throughout each season.  To progress in the cup you have to beat your opponent in the grand prix, with progression rewarded with money.

Each group has its own subforum within the main forum and managers can use the internal messaging system to chat too.  When you satisfy certain criteria you can also form teams - it would be fantastic to have a Grogheads team eventually!

I could ramble for ages about the game but why not take a look at the website if you're curious?  I also humbly offer my referral link if you fancy it but don't feel any pressure; I'd rather people just played and I'm not particularly bothered by free referral credits. :)

Also check out the wiki, FAQ and new player guide which can freely be browsed without registering.

Estimated time commitment: One to two hours per week as a minimum...plenty more if you really get into it and want to do well.  The rookie group has certain special conditions like a total reset of finances, car etc between seasons.  The next season will start soon.  They require a real name to sign up (which will appear as your manager name) but as long as it looks like a real name, anything you enter will be accepted.

GDS_Starfury

I love me some F1..
Pick Mercedes, hire Hamilton and win everything.  Just like real life.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Huw the Poo

So sign up then!  I'll try to answer any questions but I R Noob myself.

I love your new avatar by the way, Star!

GDS_Starfury

Thanks!  Its boob month so get yourself a gif.  O0
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Slick Wilhelm

I'm a huge F1 fan, and my registration is awaiting approval. My manager's name will be Johnny Flash.

This outta be lots of fun.  O0

My goodness, Star. That Avatar...wow!

GDS_Starfury

Thanks

for reference:
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11394.0

Im actually really pissed that I slept through the last 2 races because of time zone differences.  >:(
but Im glad that Hamilton is back on top.  Mercedes is just crushing it this season.
Ive been trying to get a bunch of buddies to go to Austin this year but it aint happening.  :(
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Huw the Poo

Cool, welcome aboard chaps!  It can take a day or two to get approved but they'll definitely do it in time for the next season.  Make absolutely sure to read the beginner guide and FAQ!

Slick Wilhelm

Dangit, they rejected my application because I used "Johnny Flash" as my name. What a bunch of party poopers. Now I have to resubmit another application and use my real, boring name.  ::)

JudgeDredd

That looks a bit too in-depth for anything I have time for at the moment.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 09, 2014, 08:40:37 AM
Dangit, they rejected my application because I used "Johnny Flash" as my name. What a bunch of party poopers. Now I have to resubmit another application and use my real, boring name.  ::)

Haha, I did warn you!

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 09, 2014, 09:20:53 AM
That looks a bit too in-depth for anything I have time for at the moment.

Yeah it would be too hard for you, JD. :P

To anyone who plays on Windows, I strongly recommend downloading GPRO GO which will make your lives easier. :)

GDS_Starfury

How long do you have to wait for a race to start?  This isn't geared to my immediate gratification needs.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Huw the Poo

7 days, 20 hours. :)

Have patience!  You have one week to hire a driver if you don't already have one, read all the help docs, and get some practice stints in.  Oh, not to mention qualifying!

Quick tips: Pay attention to the weather forecast when qualifying; the tyres you choose to qualify with are the tyres you'll start the race with.  Note that the weather can change from Q1 to Q2.  Download and use GPRO GO.  Go for a sponsor but only focus on one at a time.  Don't upgrade your car too much, in fact spend as little money as possible in your first season; virtually everything you spend money on will increase your driver's OA (overall ability) and if it goes above 85 you will lose him at the end of the season if you aren't promoted (you won't be going for promotion in your first season).

Use the first season to learn how to play...expect to be at the back of every grid...grab as much track data as you can after each race as it will be invaluable next season (GPRO GO is extremely useful for this!).  Pay close attention to race strategy settings, especially fuel strategy.

GDS_Starfury

how long does a season last?

I'm sure theres a FAQ I could read but this is your fault so you get the questions.   ;)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Huw the Poo

About two months, with two races a week.  Trust me, once it gets going it won't seem slow at all...you'll be rushing to make sure you're absolutely prepared for each race.

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 09, 2014, 05:43:39 PM
I'm sure theres a FAQ I could read but this is your fault so you get the questions.   ;)

No problem, but I'm hardly an authority!  I'll do my best. :)

You really ought to read the FAQ though!