Main Menu

ARMA 3

Started by Toonces, February 20, 2015, 03:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on June 16, 2016, 12:10:36 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2016, 08:39:56 AM
I'm not sure how reasonable it is to hold ARMA up to SB standards. Its one thing for a dedicated tank simulator to provide detailed and complex options for tank operations. its quite another to expect the same level of fidelity for an entire virtual warfare sandbox. One second the player may be in a tank, the next in a jeep, then on foot, in a helicopter, in an airplane, piloting a drone, while on a boat, etc. etc.

I think what ARMA does it does well. Not saying there isn't room for improvement...but, you know...

I dont think having a reasonable driving model is asking for the same level of fidelity as Steel Beasts. If you have an AI driver, it should react to exactly what I'm inputting on my keyboard. Currently, there is too much lag between orders when the AI is driving.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't notice any "lag" when ordering my AI driver to move forward, halt, reverse, turn left or turn right. It all feels pretty seamless to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2016, 08:39:56 AM
I'm not sure how reasonable it is to hold ARMA up to SB standards. Its one thing for a dedicated tank simulator to provide detailed and complex options for tank operations. its quite another to expect the same level of fidelity for an entire virtual warfare sandbox. One second the player may be in a tank, the next in a jeep, then on foot, in a helicopter, in an airplane, piloting a drone, while on a boat, etc. etc.

I think what ARMA does it does well. Not saying there isn't room for improvement...but, you know...

I am not sure I agree with you JH. If anything I would call it the reverse: ArmA 3 being a much more advanced piece of software than SB (save for the ballistics and damage modelling).
SB is a small dev team, Bohemia much larger and both have real world military contracts to develop software for.
The movement system is not only for the Tanks, but is applicable to all vehicles.

But I think the 'lag' being discussed is a function of pathfinding in a much more detailed environment in ArmA 3 than what the AI has to calculate for in SB.
When SB gets an as detailed world as ArmA I am sure we will see similar weirdness here.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Well, I guess I can see both sides of the argument there.

Overall, for me, I just think a lot of the complaints about ARMA 3 are very nit picky. No game is going to be perfect, but the support is second to none and look at the game world as a whole. It has accomplished so much, where so many others have failed, or not even tried. Bohemia should be commended for what they have given to the gaming world, not criticized.

There will always be room for improvement and you can truly see how the game engine has evolved and been improved over the years, starting with ARMA, moving to ARMA 2 and now into ARMA 3. It always gets better and better, in my opinion.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Amen to that!
I fullheartedly agree.

I just thought you did ArmA 3 short by implying SB might be more advanced. I don't think it is. Not anymore anyway, one time it probably was.

But the point about the order lag IMO would be more logical to state ArmA3 should have a better system than SB because its devteam is bigger AND the engine is more advanced, so why does it have this 'lag' we perceive?
I think because its this much more advanced gameworld like I stated above.
The reasoning I found a little upside down here, that's All.

But ArmA 3 is the King of combined warfare simulation if you ask me!

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 17, 2016, 09:22:56 AM
But ArmA 3 is the King of combined warfare simulation if you ask me!

I agree. It absolutely is - and its the only game that truly integrates playable dismounted combat. Steel Beasts and DCS are severely lacking in those areas; SB only has ATGM and Machine Gunners playable, and DCS has nothing playable. To attempt a modern warfare-based game without enabling the use of dismounted ground forces is completely insane.

Father Ted

Quote from: Toonces on June 13, 2016, 05:41:58 PM
Hey, for those of you guys enjoying King of the Hill servers, I just installed the 1944 mod for it.  It's pretty fun, certainly a bit of a change of pace from the normal KotH. 

You have to install a mod called IFA3LITE (easily found on the Steam Workshop via search).  Simply subscribe to it, allow it to download (about 2.2GB), enable it and you'll be able to join the KotH 1944 servers.  It plays exactly like regular KotH but with the Iron Front skins and gear.

I still completely suck at KotH, but now I suck dressed in German kit!

Thanks for this - a bit rough around the edges, but, as you say, a nice change of pace.  Mind you, I wish KotH could dispense with the shenanigans of getting to the battle area...

Jarhead0331

The co-op campaign has been released to the development branch.

The cutscenes have not been implemented yet, but the missions themselves seem to be very well constructed.  One thing I was not expecting is that the missions are played now more like a traditional multi-player game in that they are drop in/drop out style. If you die, you "respawn" at a location of your choice and pick up where you left off. Its not like you revert back to an old save like in prior ARMA games.

Overall, very happy with this release. I feel the Tanoa content, plus the 1.62 platform update is going to bring the game to a new level. Can't wait to see what the modding community puts together in the weeks and months to come.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Apocalypse 31

I played through the first three missions with a friend in coop. really enjoying it so far.

the cut scenes and voice acting are a huge improvement, and they did a good job (thusfar) with engaging players into a counter-guerrilla conflict.  Bohemia has really stepped their game up in this regard.

The second and third missions take place in thick jungle, where small roving patrols will harass you with AK47 and machine gun fire as you move between objectives. Hard cover, wide flanking moves, and hand grenades are your friend! There were a few times where my buddy and I got sloppy with our movement and the AI was quick to remind us; we found that staggering our spacing and creating space between us was the most ideal way to approach the jungle movements. there were several instances where one of us would come under fire, and the other would have freedom of movement to locate and flank the threat.

i highlight this because i think many players, like my buddy and I, will need to reevaluate how they approach the new scenarios. Tanoa and the Syndikate are much different than Altis and CSAT. Based on the first three missions, it seems like the folks at bohemia are building their missions differently to simulate what i imagine counter-guerrilla jungle conflict is like.

the new coop UI is nice. now they need to go back and remake the first campaign using the new coop UI.

Grim.Reaper

I was reading post on this and seems like might be tough for purely solo players....they mention a ton of enemies thrown at you without being able to command ai troops or them being able to help you, plus the respawning system.  Of course I am sure a lot of mods will be created to take care of it so I likely will still pick up at some point.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 06, 2016, 09:52:46 AM
I was reading post on this and seems like might be tough for purely solo players....they mention a ton of enemies thrown at you without being able to command ai troops or them being able to help you, plus the respawning system.  Of course I am sure a lot of mods will be created to take care of it so I likely will still pick up at some point.

The difficulty scales depending on the number of players. I've been playing exclusively solo, and although difficult, I don't find it off-putting. ARMA has always been somewhat challenging, but as long as forward progress remains possible, I enjoy it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 06, 2016, 09:54:37 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 06, 2016, 09:52:46 AM

The difficulty scales depending on the number of players. I've been playing exclusively solo, and although difficult, I don't find it off-putting. ARMA has always been somewhat challenging, but as long as forward progress remains possible, I enjoy it.

Excellent to hear..

Grim.Reaper

Looks officially out now...

Dammit Carl!

This series is so engrossing; don't know why I haven't played it sooner.

I'm now going to go through this thread from the start, but what I want to know is what recommendations you all have for mods, scenarios and the like.

And this could be for either Arma 2 or 3, by the way.

Gracias!

Hofstadter

Got it, love it, its so pretty.

But the campaign, when you can respawn theres so tension. I dont really give a damn cos I just kill one enemy and go right in again and again
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Jarhead0331

I agree. Much less stress in completing campaign missions with the new respawn system. Also, although totally playable solo, it is unquestionably designed for co-op.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog