Middle East campaign series releases sep. 24

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 21, 2015, 08:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Staggerwing

What's the max rez that the game can display at?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

panzerde

Quote from: Warhorse on September 23, 2015, 06:49:02 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 23, 2015, 06:39:01 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2015, 02:14:17 PM

But as somebody who was madly in love with the original East Front and East Front 2 back in the day, I still prefer 3D, and have found it to hold up very well.

Same.  I thought the pseudo-3D mode worked best for this series.

I wholeheartedly concur!! Although I have moved over to the 2d side as well periodically, what with the new size I can actually see them! Added a crap-load of new NATO-Military symbols as well, and most units have a dedicated 2d AND 3d icon!!


Cyrano taunts me for it, but I like the 3D mode, too.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 23, 2015, 06:57:35 PM
What's the max rez that the game can display at?


I'm playing the existing games at 1920x1080, so I'd expect at least that.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Pinetree

Quote from: Nefaro on September 23, 2015, 06:39:01 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2015, 02:14:17 PM

But as somebody who was madly in love with the original East Front and East Front 2 back in the day, I still prefer 3D, and have found it to hold up very well.

Same.  I thought the pseudo-3D mode worked best for this series.
+1
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

jomni

As a CS veteran.  I'm not really hoping for any graphical upgrade.  Just new post-WW2 scenarios.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jason Petho on September 23, 2015, 05:22:11 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 23, 2015, 03:46:57 AM
Not many games with this subject matter so would like to purchase some time, but will depend on the pricing they come up with.  I believe the older campaign series game is $30 so assuming it will be in that range, but one never knows with this company.

Good day.

I believe the retail price will be $39.99 USD for the download, $49.99 USD for the boxed version.

We thought that was both reasonable and competitive.

Jason Petho

Thanks for info...more than I expected so not sure if an immediate purchase, will monitor.

Al

Quote from: Nefaro on September 23, 2015, 11:35:16 AM
The ATGMs in the original Divided Ground were buggy as hell.  Specifically ones fired from helos.  Even though you'd have a clear LOS, the missile would exploded against terrain nowhere near your target when fired.  Even the helos would run into hillsides and explode sometimes IIRC.

I'm sure that quick video was to show they've succeeded in creating a version that actually works.  The sound effects are bad in the vid.  Sounds like they came via desktop speakers much more distant than the mic, rather than recorded from the game itself.

Not a great feast for the eyes and ears, but if it works I'll have it sometime.  Been wanting to dodge Saggers & shoot T-55/62s with my Centurions & M-60s for awhile.  ^-^  Was so sad after buying the original to find that it was unplayable.

Almost everything in the original Divided Ground was buggy.  I was disappointed too because I wanted something on that scale that covered the "modern" era.  I am confident that what they have put together this time will be well worth the cost.  $40 seems reasonable.
Al

Tuna

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 23, 2015, 08:04:16 PM
Quote from: Jason Petho on September 23, 2015, 05:22:11 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 23, 2015, 03:46:57 AM
Not many games with this subject matter so would like to purchase some time, but will depend on the pricing they come up with.  I believe the older campaign series game is $30 so assuming it will be in that range, but one never knows with this company.

Good day.

I believe the retail price will be $39.99 USD for the download, $49.99 USD for the boxed version.

We thought that was both reasonable and competitive.

Jason Petho

Thanks for info...more than I expected so not sure if an immediate purchase, will monitor.

Agreed... 39 bucks for a 15 year old engine is a lil steep.. I know a lot of love and care went into it, but again, the program itself is very old, when I go back to the campaign series nowadays, I don't stay very long. But I do have fond memories when it first came out.

Jason Petho

Quote from: Tuna on September 23, 2015, 08:34:22 PM
Agreed... 39 bucks for a 15 year old engine is a lil steep.. I know a lot of love and care went into it, but again, the program itself is very old, when I go back to the campaign series nowadays, I don't stay very long. But I do have fond memories when it first came out.

While there are elements of the engine that are the same, there are so many new features and advancements, it really isn't the same beast.

It would be like comparing a original BMW 3 series with a more current version. Principally, it's the same, but very different under the hood.

Jason Petho
Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985 : v3.00 coming 2024

Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967 : v1.30 released April 26, 2023

Campaign Series Cold War 1948-1985 : v1.00 coming 202?

Jason Petho

Quote from: Al on September 23, 2015, 08:33:09 PM

Almost everything in the original Divided Ground was buggy.  I was disappointed too because I wanted something on that scale that covered the "modern" era.  I am confident that what they have put together this time will be well worth the cost.  $40 seems reasonable.

We decided to scrap Divided Ground. We found it subpar.

With that said, it has been built from the ground up as new. There may be some similar looking features, but that's where the similarities should end.

Jason Petho
Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985 : v3.00 coming 2024

Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967 : v1.30 released April 26, 2023

Campaign Series Cold War 1948-1985 : v1.00 coming 202?

berto

#40
Quote from: Tuna on September 23, 2015, 08:34:22 PM

Agreed... 39 bucks for a 15 year old engine is a lil steep.. I know a lot of love and care went into it, but again, the program itself is very old, when I go back to the campaign series nowadays, I don't stay very long. But I do have fond memories when it first came out.

But with 70+ scenarios in the initial release, and more on the way.  Not to mention a full suite of editors, and other goodies.

I'm a Linux user for nearly 25 years (got in near the beginning).  Some of the GNU components of the Linux ecosystem are 30 years old or more.  Just like the CS, GNU/Linux is "old" software, but at their core, they are both solid, and they both continue to evolve.  (Linux powers the Internet and rules server space.  Google Android is Linux at heart.)  Some things just get better and better with age.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

JudgeDredd

Sorry - I don't mean to be rude, but I was actually talking about all the graphics. There might be enhancements to the graphics and I'm sure they were time consuming, but they are so subtle to the untrained eye that they just looked like the original graphics.

What about this? Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure



Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

berto

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2015, 01:02:05 AM

What about this? Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure

Yes, very pretty.  But some of us are old school, prefer the classic board war game look.  As you say, different tastes.

We also face the problem of introducing too drastic change.  Sure to make old-timer CS aficionados howl.

Anyway, things will continue to evolve, the CS graphics -- both 2D & 3D -- included.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

JudgeDredd

I may well pick this up if for nothing else than the subject - I've really wanted a Middle East game and I did enjoy the Campaign Series games (all those years ago).

But the AO certainly appeals to me.  O0
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

spelk

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2015, 02:09:13 AM
I may well pick this up if for nothing else than the subject - I've really wanted a Middle East game

Theres always this...

http://schwerpunkt.wargamer.com/MDEdesc.html