Star Trek Frontiers

Started by Nefaro, December 01, 2015, 11:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

The upcoming Star Trek version of the Mage Knight board game just got listed for a February release at CSI.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/219086

8)

Thinking I better put in a pre-order somewhere, before it arrives.  The stock will likely be hit pretty hard due to Mage Knight's popularity.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on December 01, 2015, 11:58:49 AM
The upcoming Star Trek version of the Mage Knight board game just got listed for a February release at CSI.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/219086

8)

Thinking I better put in a pre-order somewhere, before it arrives.  The stock will likely be hit pretty hard due to Mage Knight's popularity.

Insta purchase for me! 

PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on December 01, 2015, 02:20:02 PM

Insta purchase for me! 

PE

A lot of people are saying that.  Including myself.

That's why it's probably best to make sure you get a copy reservered sometime before release.  The demand will be relatively huge.  I mean.. it's considered one of the best (if not THE best) solitaire board game systems out there.  Add flying around in Star Trek ships and the first print run may well be aced rather quickly depending on how much WizKids prints.

I just hope WizKids doesn't do a half-assed job on the components.  I expect it to be as good as the core Mage Knight game (which has some small issues), but hopefully better. 

Also wonder if they're gonna try using the Attack Wing models for the ships again.  The same (unpainted) ones they used in the Fleet Captains game.  They would be much too large unless they made the hex tiles much larger scale for the game, but the tabletop footprint of Mage Knight is already pretty large without such a thing happening.

Barthheart

I know nothing of Mage Knight... so how replayable is ST Frontiers going to be once you've "discovered" all the missions and mysteries?

I love me some ST anything but A) getting it here to the Great White North will probably cost as much as the game B) the Canadian dollar only worth about $0.75USD and C) unknown game style (to me) all make me wary... not to mention mu game budget is shot to hell....  :buck2:

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Barthheart on December 01, 2015, 08:50:04 PM
I know nothing of Mage Knight... so how replayable is ST Frontiers going to be once you've "discovered" all the missions and mysteries?

I love me some ST anything but A) getting it here to the Great White North will probably cost as much as the game B) the Canadian dollar only worth about $0.75USD and C) unknown game style (to me) all make me wary... not to mention mu game budget is shot to hell....  :buck2:

I guarantee that some of the Canadian online gaming stores will have this up for preorder, Barth. No need to order from the states.

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on December 01, 2015, 08:50:04 PM
I know nothing of Mage Knight...

How 'bout a summary and review by a Wargamer to get you acquainted with the system?

Pretty sure it's been on BGG's Top 50 Most Popular list through it's whole lifespan.  Often considered contender as the best solitaire game available.

Replayability for Mage Knight seems to be quite good due to the modular & somewhat randomized bits, along with the varied scenarios.  ST will probably be the same.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Arctic Blast

I still haven't picked up Mage Knight. Someday...someday... ;D

My one hangup with this one is that it's Wizkids. For every game that they make with great components, rules and everything else, they seem to spit out another one that's a complete train wreck.

PanzersEast

Quote from: bbmike on December 02, 2015, 07:11:49 PM
Bought.  ^-^

You will not be disappointed... probably my top solo game of everything I have.  The expansions Lost Legion and Shades of Tezla  are both worth it.  This game has some of the best mechanics of anything I have played.

PE

Nefaro

I still need to pick up Shades Of Tezla expansion for Mage Knight.  Although there is still a huge amount of replayability left in the stuff I already have.

Nefaro

This is the first peak at the actual Star Trek Frontiers components and mechanics summary I've had.

Looks like my wallet is gonna get even lighter next month.

May have to repaint the minis myself, though.

bbmike

I've been waiting for it to release since December. Can't wait!  :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

thanks for this info, it looks like a future buy when I see it, I just got SFB out after I seen this .

BanzaiCat

Weird that it's not being sold on Amazon.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 27, 2016, 11:25:10 AM
Weird that it's not being sold on Amazon.

I rarely see "designer" tabletop games sold on Amazon near their initial release.   

Usually takes awhile before the small stores start listing them there.  If the print run isn't sold out.