Content expansion at Steam

Started by Jarhead0331, April 25, 2016, 01:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FarAway Sooner

Jarhead, I get your concern, and didn't mean to impugn anybody else's response.  I just am not going to worry about it until it materially compromises my gaming experience.  So far, it hasn't. 

I gave up on getting more than a smidge of value off the Steam front page a while back, for all the reasons you specify.  To those who might still be getting more value out of the front page, I can see where this intro might be more worrisome.

You can disagree with the value proposition behind Steam's diversifying.  I tend to agree with you that it'll do more harm than good to their customers and their business model, but I'm not the one making the decision. 

I think it is "diversifying" and I don't think it's nonsense to call it that at all.  It's a business move that might or might not work.  If they do it right, it'll work.  If they do it wrong, it won't.

Diversifying can often be very successful.  To jump off from the question you posed, I can name you a book store that sells frozen food.  Amazon.  It worked pretty well for them.  If Steam is 1/50th that successful, I'll be very surprised.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 25, 2016, 11:03:15 PM
Justifying this as "diversifying" is nonsense. Stores that sell car parts don't "diversify" and sell toilet paper and mouthwash. Stores that sell furniture don't "diversify" and sell frozen food. There is such a thing as dedicated stores that actually strive to make profit by specializing in the sale of a singular class of product. Perhaps it's a more traditional approach, and digital media has permitted retailers to sell a wider range of products at minimal cost, but that doesn't mean it may not come with some risk or inconvenience to the customer.

Personally, I'm not "freaking" and I'm annoyed at the suggestion. Having the new release list cluttered with indie movies, productivity software, and even 20 year old games was annoying enough. Adding more crap to the list is a nuisance and one I could do without. It's ok to discuss concerns and potential problems that impact the hobby, now, before it becomes a real problem.
So you ask for thoughts and I get "Nonsense"?

Jesus - I only said diversification and it is (can) be good. I also said I shared your concerns
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 25, 2016, 01:47:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 25, 2016, 01:24:03 PM
Steam is my number 1 source for games and I'd like them to focus on that service. I don't want to deal with potential technical issues, bandwidth strain, liabilities, store page clutter, etc.

Very much agree. Especially what you say about store page clutter. If Steam can keep its movie offerings totally sequestered to some tab that I never have to access -- so that the Steam I see is 100% games, which is what I want it for -- then I guess I have no problem with it. But if 'featured' content on the main page starts to blend games and movies -- that is going to suck.


Select the "All New Releases" button, below the latest releases area of the front page.

Then check the box labeled "Games" in the filter list on the right.  It will also sort out DLC. 

Jarhead0331

#18
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 26, 2016, 01:14:22 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 25, 2016, 11:03:15 PM
Justifying this as "diversifying" is nonsense. Stores that sell car parts don't "diversify" and sell toilet paper and mouthwash. Stores that sell furniture don't "diversify" and sell frozen food. There is such a thing as dedicated stores that actually strive to make profit by specializing in the sale of a singular class of product. Perhaps it's a more traditional approach, and digital media has permitted retailers to sell a wider range of products at minimal cost, but that doesn't mean it may not come with some risk or inconvenience to the customer.

Personally, I'm not "freaking" and I'm annoyed at the suggestion. Having the new release list cluttered with indie movies, productivity software, and even 20 year old games was annoying enough. Adding more crap to the list is a nuisance and one I could do without. It's ok to discuss concerns and potential problems that impact the hobby, now, before it becomes a real problem.
So you ask for thoughts and I get "Nonsense"?

Jesus - I only said diversification and it is (can) be good. I also said I shared your concerns

I wasnt talking to you. Sorry you got caught in the crossfire. It happens. Forum combat is hell.  Corpsman up!!!

Yes, they are clearly trying to expand the content they sell, or in this stupid case, rent. I'm not saying that this fact is nonsense. It's obvious. I'm saying justifying it from the perspective of the consumer is nonsense.

For me, navigating the main page, the new releases and upcoming titles pages is very important. I would say only a small percentage of my purchases are big highly anticipated releases. The majority of my purchases are games or DLCs, many early access, that I had no idea were in development or even existed. I discover them by searching through the all new releases and upcoming releases lists.  Adding more "fluff"' has already impacted this experience by  making navigation of these pages more time consuming and irritating. It's like having to wade through women's underwear in order to find the kind of games I may be interested in.

Now, I do see several filter options on the right side of the screen. I've never really found it necessary to tinker with these, but I guess now I will.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

I don't think it's that much of a stretch between movies and games...both are digital entertainment. Games are obviously more immersive and movies are more passive, but I see a direct relationship there. And using the filters can make whatever you want to become invisible to you disappear.

Bandwidth issues are another thing. I can see that being a potential problem.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Quote from: Nefaro on April 26, 2016, 01:19:58 AM
Select the "All New Releases" button, below the latest releases area of the front page.

Then check the box labeled "Games" in the filter list on the right.  It will also sort out DLC.

Thank you, good sir.

The "Lionsgate" banner on Steam is like the ads that show up on my iphone apps. Distracting and annoying.