Qvadriga: Roman Chariot Racing Game

Started by Gusington, June 01, 2012, 12:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

lol - just kidding - this seriously isn't my bag
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

ComradeP

I liked the game during beta, it has transformed into a more full fledged product compared to the initial beta versions, which seems to have been nearly identical to a free variant of the game that was available on the internet.

I intended to write a review or impressions, but I haven't played the final version of the beta, as the beta was officially over and then another small patch came along. Beta testers also only get a discount instead of a full game. I'm not sure why, it's one of the areas where Matrix and Slitherine have significantly different policies: Matrix tends to give a full release version to testers, Slitherine just gives a 50% or so discount for some reason.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

tgb

So what's the verdict on this?  I played the demo, which was ok, but not good enough to get me to shell out 20 clams, but it seems to me the real depth (if there is any) would be in the campaign.

Is there enough more to the full version vs. the demo to make it worth the price?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: ComradeP on March 04, 2014, 02:12:10 PM
I liked the game during beta, it has transformed into a more full fledged product compared to the initial beta versions, which seems to have been nearly identical to a free variant of the game that was available on the internet.

I intended to write a review or impressions, but I haven't played the final version of the beta, as the beta was officially over and then another small patch came along. Beta testers also only get a discount instead of a full game. I'm not sure why, it's one of the areas where Matrix and Slitherine have significantly different policies: Matrix tends to give a full release version to testers, Slitherine just gives a 50% or so discount for some reason.

Not recently...Matrix also usually just gives coupons nowadays too....

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 04, 2014, 01:58:18 PM
lol - just kidding - this seriously isn't my bag

Just can't buy your story.....you'll likely own by the weekend:)

tgb

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 04, 2014, 06:47:08 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on March 04, 2014, 02:12:10 PM
I liked the game during beta, it has transformed into a more full fledged product compared to the initial beta versions, which seems to have been nearly identical to a free variant of the game that was available on the internet.

I intended to write a review or impressions, but I haven't played the final version of the beta, as the beta was officially over and then another small patch came along. Beta testers also only get a discount instead of a full game. I'm not sure why, it's one of the areas where Matrix and Slitherine have significantly different policies: Matrix tends to give a full release version to testers, Slitherine just gives a 50% or so discount for some reason.

Not recently...Matrix also usually just gives coupons nowadays too....

Not necessarily - I got a coupon for a free copy of Lock 'n Load Heroes of Stalingrad despite having to drop out of the beta last June because of my health.

Grimnirsson

Again..what's missing is MP...it would be perfect for a quick shot game...let me see what's the situation, I give my orders..send it to the server...get back the the next turn...see what my friends did...give my orders....etc..

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Barthheart

Quote from: tgb on March 04, 2014, 07:03:17 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 04, 2014, 06:47:08 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on March 04, 2014, 02:12:10 PM
I liked the game during beta, it has transformed into a more full fledged product compared to the initial beta versions, which seems to have been nearly identical to a free variant of the game that was available on the internet.

I intended to write a review or impressions, but I haven't played the final version of the beta, as the beta was officially over and then another small patch came along. Beta testers also only get a discount instead of a full game. I'm not sure why, it's one of the areas where Matrix and Slitherine have significantly different policies: Matrix tends to give a full release version to testers, Slitherine just gives a 50% or so discount for some reason.

Not recently...Matrix also usually just gives coupons nowadays too....

Not necessarily - I got a coupon for a free copy of Lock 'n Load Heroes of Stalingrad despite having to drop out of the beta last June because of my health.

Well almost free... My coupon paid for the boxed version of the game..... but I had to pay fer the shipping... Never had to do that before..... :P

tgb

Quote from: Barthheart on March 04, 2014, 07:21:22 PM
Quote from: tgb on March 04, 2014, 07:03:17 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 04, 2014, 06:47:08 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on March 04, 2014, 02:12:10 PM
I liked the game during beta, it has transformed into a more full fledged product compared to the initial beta versions, which seems to have been nearly identical to a free variant of the game that was available on the internet.

I intended to write a review or impressions, but I haven't played the final version of the beta, as the beta was officially over and then another small patch came along. Beta testers also only get a discount instead of a full game. I'm not sure why, it's one of the areas where Matrix and Slitherine have significantly different policies: Matrix tends to give a full release version to testers, Slitherine just gives a 50% or so discount for some reason.

Not recently...Matrix also usually just gives coupons nowadays too....

Not necessarily - I got a coupon for a free copy of Lock 'n Load Heroes of Stalingrad despite having to drop out of the beta last June because of my health.

Well almost free... My coupon paid for the boxed version of the game..... but I had to pay fer the shipping... Never had to do that before..... :P

Me, too, but I don't consider it a big deal.  We COULD have just gotten the digital version, which would have been 100% free, but that meant leaving $15 on the table.

Barthheart

Quote from: tgb on March 04, 2014, 07:38:23 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on March 04, 2014, 07:21:22 PM
Quote from: tgb on March 04, 2014, 07:03:17 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 04, 2014, 06:47:08 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on March 04, 2014, 02:12:10 PM
I liked the game during beta, it has transformed into a more full fledged product compared to the initial beta versions, which seems to have been nearly identical to a free variant of the game that was available on the internet.

I intended to write a review or impressions, but I haven't played the final version of the beta, as the beta was officially over and then another small patch came along. Beta testers also only get a discount instead of a full game. I'm not sure why, it's one of the areas where Matrix and Slitherine have significantly different policies: Matrix tends to give a full release version to testers, Slitherine just gives a 50% or so discount for some reason.

Not recently...Matrix also usually just gives coupons nowadays too....

Not necessarily - I got a coupon for a free copy of Lock 'n Load Heroes of Stalingrad despite having to drop out of the beta last June because of my health.

Well almost free... My coupon paid for the boxed version of the game..... but I had to pay fer the shipping... Never had to do that before..... :P

Me, too, but I don't consider it a big deal.  We COULD have just gotten the digital version, which would have been 100% free, but that meant leaving $15 on the table.

Yeah, I guess it's not much, $7, but it still irks me because all of the other titles I've help beta test with them, 5 or 6, have been completely free and automatic, not some coupon that expires....

ComradeP

tgb: you should probably see the game as a game to relax with a race or two at the time, like playing a match or two in a sports game. Races are over fairly quickly and in the campaign you get the feeling you're always doing something meaningful because you're working towards establishing a reputation. Like most sports games in my opinion, replayability comes from being able to play a different match/race that will be quite different from the previous one even though it's on the same or a similar field/track.

Qvadriga also includes one random event for every race to keep things interesting. Your charioteer or his horses might be drugged, there might be wrecks on the track from a previous race, your rival charioteers might have a fight, the crowd might throw objects at you if you move into the outer lanes.

Nearly winning or winning (not sure if you can continue or if it goes back to the main menu like in the beta) the campaign leads to a level selection mode of sorts as you have plenty of cash to move from circus to circus and region to region to visit every location.

If you have at least some interest in chariot racing and would like to add a casual game that skill requires you to think to your collection, it's worth it I'd say.

If you are not really interested in chariot racing and either prefer a deep, intellectually stimulating experience or have enough casual games, the game probably isn't for you.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 04, 2014, 06:48:06 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 04, 2014, 01:58:18 PM
lol - just kidding - this seriously isn't my bag

Just can't buy your story.....you'll likely own by the weekend:)
Nope - I will disappoint you all this time...sorry, and maybe it makes me a shallow gamer, but this looks diabolical for a game in 2014. Sorry - but this wouldn't have looked out of place on my Amiga 500 back in 1990.

I totally understand a new programmer coming into the business and starting out like this - but I'm not buying a game that looks and plays as this does. I think I read here about a boardgame this is based on? If so, then I can see why some people might buy it a lot like some people were perhaps put off with the look and play style of Conflict of Heroes or Heroes of Stalingrad...but this is neither a subject I'm interested in or a style I'm interested in.

Harsh - I know...and I apologise to the developer. I'm sure he's put many, many hours of love into it.

I'm definitely keeping my money in my pocket!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

jomni

#28
Quote from: ComradeP on March 04, 2014, 02:12:10 PM
I liked the game during beta, it has transformed into a more full fledged product compared to the initial beta versions, which seems to have been nearly identical to a free variant of the game that was available on the internet.

I intended to write a review or impressions, but I haven't played the final version of the beta, as the beta was officially over and then another small patch came along. Beta testers also only get a discount instead of a full game. I'm not sure why, it's one of the areas where Matrix and Slitherine have significantly different policies: Matrix tends to give a full release version to testers, Slitherine just gives a 50% or so discount for some reason.

In all my beta testing, I did not get full discount. (LnL, Allied Corps, Flashpoint)

Howcome you guys get LnL for free?

tgb

Quote from: jomni on March 05, 2014, 03:05:01 AM
Quote from: ComradeP on March 04, 2014, 02:12:10 PM
I liked the game during beta, it has transformed into a more full fledged product compared to the initial beta versions, which seems to have been nearly identical to a free variant of the game that was available on the internet.

I intended to write a review or impressions, but I haven't played the final version of the beta, as the beta was officially over and then another small patch came along. Beta testers also only get a discount instead of a full game. I'm not sure why, it's one of the areas where Matrix and Slitherine have significantly different policies: Matrix tends to give a full release version to testers, Slitherine just gives a 50% or so discount for some reason.

In all my beta testing, I did not get full discount. (LnL, Allied Corps, Flashpoint)

Howcome you guys get LnL for free?

Erik indicated that the amount of the credit toward LnL would depend on your level of activity  during the beta - reporting bugs, answering questions, spreading the word,etc.  Perhaps that's the difference.