Battle of Britian KS

Started by Barthheart, August 07, 2016, 08:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Man this looks like a lot of fun... but I've added up at least $200 CDN to get all the good bits... including a 5'x3' campaign map! KS addon includes two croupier sticks to push the planes around on the map! 

Only 3 days left.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992455033/battle-of-britain

Ouch my wallet! :(

Nefaro

Is this the old solitaire/two-player one? 

Didn't AH do a later printing of it, or am I thinking of a different Battle of Britain?

It's very enticing.  The component artwork on the KS page doesn't look all that amazing, but if it has minis then maybe it won't matter so much.

panzerde

Have to admit that's pretty cool looking. The croupier sticks are almost enough to tip it over the edge for me.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Barthheart

Quote from: Nefaro on August 07, 2016, 08:49:57 PM
Is this the old solitaire/two-player one? 

Didn't AH do a later printing of it, or am I thinking of a different Battle of Britain?

No this is a different game. It is a remake of an older version though.

It's very enticing.  The component artwork on the KS page doesn't look all that amazing, but if it has minis then maybe it won't matter so much.

Agree,  but with minis on that huge map...

Barthheart

Quote from: panzerde on August 07, 2016, 08:56:36 PM
..... The croupier sticks are almost enough to tip it over the edge for me.

I know, right?!? 6 guys standing around the huge map with push sticks talking into their hands....

Maybe Bob can get us a copy locally fer cheaper....

panzerde

Quote from: Barthheart on August 07, 2016, 09:00:30 PM
Quote from: panzerde on August 07, 2016, 08:56:36 PM
..... The croupier sticks are almost enough to tip it over the edge for me.

I know, right?!? 6 guys standing around the huge map with push sticks talking into their hands....

Maybe Bob can get us a copy locally fer cheaper....

That's the exact scene that was in my head!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

Punch.

In.

The.

Face.

Utterly un-resistable.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

Yer welcome.

And just to make it harder for the rest to resist, here is a short interview and some pics of the game at GENCON this past weekend.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/liveblogentry/battle-of-britain-hits-gen-con/

Barthheart

Reading through the comments it seems that you don't really need/want to have all the plane types. Part of the game is the hidden nature of the types of planes in your flight. Telegraphing this with the models would spoil this somewhat. And only 19 stands, each representing multiple flights, are required on map at any one time.

But looking at those pics from Beasts of War, the larger map would look a lot less crowded.

Staggerwing

This is so hard to resist, it actually hurts!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

:2funny:

This looks EXACTLY like the TSR game from the early 1990s. I owned it but sold it at the Gamer's Flea Market recently.

Silent Disapproval Robot

That's cause it is the TSR game.

Barthheart

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 08, 2016, 07:11:42 AM
:2funny:

This looks EXACTLY like the TSR game from the early 1990s. I owned it but sold it at the Gamer's Flea Market recently.

It is... but with updated rules, by the original designer, and cooler bits.

BanzaiCat

I figured it was an update. I was laughing because I could never get anyone to play it with me back in the day! The pieces were pretty basic in the original, but they worked well enough. For me it lacked something that I couldn't put my finger on, and without other players...

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 08, 2016, 09:16:51 AM
and without other players...

Does this mean there is no solo mode (other than playing both sides)?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys