Main Menu

CM 4.0 released

Started by RyanE, December 24, 2016, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 30, 2016, 12:14:41 AM
Quote from: Con on December 29, 2016, 11:42:03 PM
no good deed goes unpunished and you can never satisfy and do right with this crowd.  Little wonder that people who actually spend their time, energy, vacation and untold stress doing this for a living because they love games can learn to despise their customers when given this attitude.

They're not doing good deeds, so not sure what you're referring to. BFC is a business, and part of business is taking money from customers in exchange for goods and services. Those customers have a reasonable expectation that their products get adequate support. When companies like Matrix, BFC etc. starts distributing shareware, your comments might be more appropriate.

They take money from us so they can keep doing what they are doing, not to get rich. Likening what BFC are doing to a normal corporate commercial enterprise shows nothing but but your complete ignorance of the nature of what they are doing and the industry in which they operate.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 29, 2016, 09:46:59 PM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 29, 2016, 04:31:29 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 29, 2016, 04:17:05 PM
May have had something to do with wanting to give their customers something new over the xmas period when a lot of people have time off.

May have had something to do with squeezing a little bit of extra income in at Christmas without being prepared to support the product, too. Their comments about not having the manual ready yet, or for some weeks, supports *that* interpretation.

Used to be BFC released stuff "when it's ready." RyanE seems to be on the money.

What Manual ? I got an engine 4.0 manual with my download with all the new stuff in it so what are you talking about ?

Not going to reply I see - yet another example of your BFC bashing without properly knowing the facts.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 30, 2016, 02:58:34 PM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 30, 2016, 12:14:41 AM
Quote from: Con on December 29, 2016, 11:42:03 PM
no good deed goes unpunished and you can never satisfy and do right with this crowd.  Little wonder that people who actually spend their time, energy, vacation and untold stress doing this for a living because they love games can learn to despise their customers when given this attitude.

They're not doing good deeds, so not sure what you're referring to. BFC is a business, and part of business is taking money from customers in exchange for goods and services. Those customers have a reasonable expectation that their products get adequate support. When companies like Matrix, BFC etc. starts distributing shareware, your comments might be more appropriate.

They take money from us so they can keep doing what they are doing, not to get rich. Likening what BFC are doing to a normal corporate commercial enterprise shows nothing but but your complete ignorance of the nature of what they are doing and the industry in which they operate.

You seem to be not understanding what I'm saying. Perhaps if you reviewed what I actually wrote, you might understand it better. Nowhere did I use the word "rich." If you think I'm in error in that BFC is a business devoted to providing their customers with a tangible good, I'd be okay with that. Feigning outrage at something I never said seems less constructive.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: GJK on December 30, 2016, 11:56:24 AM
Quote from: Ubercat on December 30, 2016, 10:04:40 AM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 30, 2016, 08:46:49 AM
... I'm playing a lot more ASL these days - in the midst of the Decision at Elst CG. The streams feature retrofitted to CMBN have me thinking I can finally try and put Elst (and polder) into a scenario. But hard to capture the feel of a CG in CM now.

The DaE campaign is on my bucket list. If I could just stop getting distracted by other games and learn ASLSK past basic infantry rules (SK1).

Yes you do!  We need to wrap up our game of S2 and then move on to Guns (and then Tanks) and then full ASL!  Once you get AFV's in the game, it really takes on a whole new dimension and once you're comfortable with those, then full ASL comes pretty easily.

GJK is a good teacher, he's the one who sucked me back into ASL via the ASLSKs.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 30, 2016, 02:59:56 PM
What Manual ? I got an engine 4.0 manual with my download with all the new stuff in it so what are you talking about ?

The printed manuals that aren't coming out for several weeks. I ordered hardgoods.

It's not "bashing" to suggest the release was rushed, particularly since they say as much on their site. You should find better things to be outraged by.

RyanE

While I appreciate the thought of trying to get a product out for xmas and the holidays, 4.0 was obviously rushed and a bunch of customers had to waste their time, s well as the time of the devs.  BFC has become very un-BFC-like in the last few years.

GJK

Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 30, 2016, 02:59:56 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 29, 2016, 09:46:59 PM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on December 29, 2016, 04:31:29 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 29, 2016, 04:17:05 PM
May have had something to do with wanting to give their customers something new over the xmas period when a lot of people have time off.

May have had something to do with squeezing a little bit of extra income in at Christmas without being prepared to support the product, too. Their comments about not having the manual ready yet, or for some weeks, supports *that* interpretation.

Used to be BFC released stuff "when it's ready." RyanE seems to be on the money.

Not going to reply I see - yet another example of your BFC bashing without properly knowing the facts.

Would you stop baiting already?  We're actually having a decent conversation about CM4.0 and throwing in some related gaming conversation.  You've obviously got a hard-on for Dorosh but whatever issues you have, take it elsewhere please.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: RyanE on December 30, 2016, 03:29:11 PM
While I appreciate the thought of trying to get a product out for xmas and the holidays, 4.0 was obviously rushed and a bunch of customers had to waste their time, s well as the time of the devs.  BFC has become very un-BFC-like in the last few years.

Generally agree with this. I will give them credit for their customer support though. I've interfaced with customer service on just about all of my last few purchases from them. Sometimes due to my own stupidity - i.e. downloading the Mac version rather than the Windows version. The support I've received has always been good. This time was the same, I put in a ticket and then discovered I have two CMBN installations running in different places. IT Support Steve gave me very good service and even when I updated the ticket to indicate what I had done and the problem was solved, they still took the time to follow up.

By comparison, I subscribe to one of Turbine's MMORPGs. I never got a message that my cc had lapsed, just cut off my subscription without telling me. I put in a ticket before realizing what the likely issue was. Took them 9 calendar days to get back to me.

GJK

Quote from: RyanE on December 30, 2016, 03:29:11 PM

That's a shame too.  Man I remember the community that formed around CMx1 back in the day.  People were working feverishly to make mods and scenarios and to discuss tactics and to add comments to the "wish list" of things that they'd like to see added to the game.  There's was that one long-ass thread for pbem game challenges...Peng!  That's what it was.  Trash talk a little and then get your game on.  Those were fun days.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JudgeDredd

Right - I can't be arsed going through their forums over there so if anyone can be arsed to answer me here I'd appreciate it

I bought the upgrade and downloaded the bundle..I deselected the full games, MacOS stuff and the v3 upgrades - so basically grabbed the v4 upgrades for my games.

I have
Fortress Italy
Red Thunder
Battle for Normandy
Black Sea

So BS and BN went ok. RT didn't want to use the key they gave me for the upgrade (which I successfully used for BN and BS)...so as mentioned on here I think I used the RT original key. So each of those games say Game Engine 4 now.

However - I noticed there's no FI. Is that coming? Is that the one they had problems with?
Alba gu' brath

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 30, 2016, 03:36:07 PM
Right - I can't be arsed going through their forums over there so if anyone can be arsed to answer me here I'd appreciate it

I bought the upgrade and downloaded the bundle..I deselected the full games, MacOS stuff and the v3 upgrades - so basically grabbed the v4 upgrades for my games.

I have
Fortress Italy
Red Thunder
Battle for Normandy
Black Sea

So BS and BN went ok. RT didn't want to use the key they gave me for the upgrade (which I successfully used for BN and BS)...so as mentioned on here I think I used the RT original key. So each of those games say Game Engine 4 now.

However - I noticed there's no FI. Is that coming? Is that the one they had problems with?

It's on the BFC site - CMFI is on hold, they have a bit more work to do. But your purchase should still be good.

Here's the announcement on the main battlefront.com page;

At long last, Combat Mission moves from Game Engine 3 to Game Engine 4!  In the Store you will find Upgrades for CMBN, CMRT, CMBS, and CMFB.  CMFI's needs a little more time in the oven, but it will be along shortly.

After we have a little time to recover there will be a central page of information about Game Engine 4.  For now just visit one of the supported CM Families in the Battlefront Store and look for the various Upgrade options.  The details are there for your viewing pleasure.

We offer a bunch of different purchase options, including product specific Upgrade 4 installers, specials for both Upgrade 3 and Upgrade 4 (where applicable), and the Upgrade mega pack with all 5 Families covered (including CMFI).  It was a last minute rush of minutia to get them out to you, so enjoy!

Also know that CMBN, CMRT, CMBS, and CMFB Base Games and Base Game Bundles are all using Game Engine 4 now.  CMFI, once we get some details ironed out, will also be at Game Engine 4.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

GJK

I've got CMSF, CMBN and CMRT and all nicely patched up to the latest 3.xx version (had to email BFC about a license key as I recall but they were quick to respond and reset the license).  What's your opinions; go ahead and do the 4.0 upgrade for just those two games or are there others in the series that are really "must have"?  Save for Sicily, I'm not too keen on the Italian/Med campaign stuff when it comes to gaming if that helps.  Oh, and FWIW, the game from this series that I've played the most (and that I think it is really well suited for) is CMSF - but that one's not getting the 4.0 upgrade?  Or did someone mention it's on a pause for the moment?  If it's forthcoming, I'll just wait unit it's done and get a 3-pack I think.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

RyanE

It might be cheaper just doing the bundle in the end.  One at a time is $10 a pop.  The bundle for 5 games is $25.

Michael Dorosh

I don't think CMSF ever got upgraded beyond 1.0.  It, and Combat Mission: Afghanistan, seem to be the only titles that haven't received engine upgrades. My info may be wrong on it, but I've been trying to keep track of key milestone dates on my website:

http://www.tacticalwargamer.com/computergames/combatmission/combatmission.htm