Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Started by OJsDad, January 23, 2017, 11:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 16, 2017, 10:59:50 PM
I liked it better than Rogue1. And are we to assume (spoiler ahead) that Rey's parents were really just, nobody's? After all the hints and hype about them in Force Awakens?

I wouldn't read too much into what the Force Awakens says or hints at. 

These films were handed to their filmmakers with a lot of  leeway.  Johnson was given absolute freedom to choose what direction he could take the movie in, even if it wasn't what Abrams/Kasdan had wanted in Force Awakens.  Johnson has said that Kennedy gave him a blank check, and told him if he wanted to go off script he could, so he did.  He was given no overall story or pointed to something he was required to do. 

So, these films are being made by their writers/directors.  They're building off the previous versions without being beholden to a unified goal.  The story might change according to the vision and whims of who is making it rather than some master plan.  In a way, this is not too dissimilar to what happened in the OT with the melting pot of Lucas, Kurtz, Kasdan et al, although this time it's by intent rather than by necessity. 

Abrams might change what Johnson did, might not.  He literally gave his pitch for the movie to Disney CEO Bob Iger today.  The next chapter isn't even a concept anywhere except Abram's mind.  Everything is in play.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

At least, Lucas had something of a unified vision.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jamus34

yeah considering how well they've done with the MCU and how poorly the disjointed DCU has done I'm surprised they are taking a slapdash approach to developing the Star Wars property.

Insert witty comment here.

mirth

Angry Joe had some issues with it. I agree with 90% of what he raises.

****SPOILERS IN VIDEO*****

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Saw it last night. I'm glad I'm not the only one that continues to be underwhelemed. I mean, for an action flick it was fine, but I thought there were a lot of slow points in it; the plot exposition dragged ass many times. There was no "whoa" moments at all but plenty of "WTF?" moments, and AJ points out several of them.

Then there's the similarities it has with previous Star Wars films...and how the hell that massive Snoke Star Destroyer could only fire one blast at a time at the escaping transports...and how hundreds of soldiers just happened to be there for the battle...and how Snoke, despite being obviously very powerful was unable to notice the little spinning saber trick (which was cool, but still, how?)...and and and...sigh.

Rogue One has grown on me since it came out, so that one is still my favorite of the (so far) three movies made since two years ago. TLJ wasn't bad at all, it just wasn't impressive either.

mirth

All I know is that my opinion of the prequel movies is actually going up. Plot and character development doesn't seem to matter to JJ Abrams or Rian Johnson anymore than it did to George Lucas.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on December 17, 2017, 09:44:46 AM
All I know is that my opinion of the prequel movies is actually going up. Plot and character development doesn't seem to matter to JJ Abrams or Rian Johnson anymore than it did to George Lucas.

Hahahaha...I was thinking EXACTLY this last night..."hmm, maybe I should watch the prequels again..."

mirth

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on December 17, 2017, 06:52:14 AM
At least, Lucas had something of a unified vision.

Pretend my stomach was less upset this morning and/or I was less lazy, and I borrowed the Dr. Evil fingerquote meme here for "something".  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

It was more than what has been show in the last two movies.

jamus34

Quote from: mirth on December 17, 2017, 11:23:56 AM
It was more than what has been show in the last two movies.

You mean this is more than a Disney moneygrab?

mirth

I was referring to Lucas having something of a unified vision for the first six movies. Last Jedi felt more like a Disney money grab.

mirth

I can only imagine what the Han Solo movie will be like.

Where's vomit guy? He's needed in more than just the Star Trek threads!

BanzaiCat

I can't wait for Disney to buy up the companies owning Star Trek rights so we can have a Star Wars - Star Trek crossover! Maybe even add BSG and Dr Who to the mix, too! And the MCU! Woo, I'm getting dizzy.

jamus34

Quote from: BanzaiCat on December 17, 2017, 12:01:16 PM
I can't wait for Disney to buy up the companies owning Star Trek rights so we can have a Star Wars - Star Trek crossover! Maybe even add BSG and Dr Who to the mix, too! And the MCU! Woo, I'm getting dizzy.

Star Wars meets Guardians of the Galaxy and the fight the Cylons.