King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Started by Rayfer, May 23, 2017, 07:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

They need to stop making the Hollywood-ized versions of King Arthur. 

These types have just the been same 'ole Hollywood action flicks with a thin Arthurian theme.

If studios created a version, or better yet a series, closely based on Thomas Malory's Arthurian legends, then maybe it would get better attention.  That's the only way they'd get me to go see it.  Especially if they included more of the side stories in the legends, which are often more interesting & haven't been repeated so many times.  Give us the olde mythical stuff as it was meant to be.

AFAIK, that's only been done once in a big Hollywood pic - the old Excalibur movie from '81.  It's considered a nerd classic for it, despite some of the filming and acting quality issues.

What's more, directors definitely need to stop filming the close-up shaky hand cam style.  Makes me wanna vomit just picturing that crap in my head.   :pullhair:

Gusington

^Never seen that Excalibur...it's worth watching?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on May 23, 2017, 12:22:56 PM

Yes. It is flawed, but well worth seeing.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

Are you fkng joking?

Nefaro

I dunno.  I'm sure it hasn't aged well as far as cinematography goes.  But the storyline & loyalty to the old stories is it's strength.

It was enjoyable in years past.  But it wasn't a triumph of acting or cinematography effects, even in it's day.  Seemed closer to pre-Star Wars quality fantasy/sci-fi film.  Some of the line deliveries should've had a retake IMO.  Maybe budget & time constraints pushed it, don't know. 

Comes across as a bit of a stage play style, I suppose, albeit with a lot of props and actors.

It followed Malory's old mythological Arthurian bits pretty closely, which was the best thing about it.  Even though they obviously had to cram it all down into small bits, and chop much of it out.  The movie also used a light haze filter mixed with reflection-inducing lighting so it all has a dreamy look to it.  Which gave it a bit of extra weirdness, and ended up helping it out more than hindering if only to make all the middle age equipment & scenes look less prop-like.

Also get to see some veteran actors doing earlier roles, before they became well known.  There are many different characters in the movie, and you can catch glimpses of familiar faces in some of the tertiary roles in the background too.  Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson, Gabriel Byrne, and a young hot Helen Mirren are some recognizable ones.

Although the quality wasn't super, the old Excalibur movie generally did the Arthurian stuff right in the writing department.  They didn't try to twist it into a modern interpretation, which I appreciated.

EDIT:

Forgot the IMDB link
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082348

undercovergeek

Don't know who played merlin but he was a crazy bastard and I loved him

And you can never go wrong with a Wagner soundtrack

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Aside from what was mentioned above, the biggest problem I had with the Excalibur movie was the pacing of some of the performances, where it seemed that the actors could never decide if they were in a hurry to rush through the lines and get to the next scene, or dragging out their monologues like a Christopher Walken impersonation

The plot, the scenery, the costumes, and the general feel of the movie are all spot-on. The kid that plays Mordred looks like he only got the role by finishing second for casting Doogie Howser, but his acting is decent.

HBO has been re-running the movie lately, so check your Cable listings and you should be able to DVR it between now and the weekend
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think someone should option Cornwell's Arthur trilogy and make that into a mini-series or a couple of films.  Never was a fan of Excalibur personally.

bayonetbrant

I'd love to see Stephen Lawhead's 5-book series adapted, starting with Taliesin.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

My step mom took me to see Excalibur at the theater up the street.  It was the first time I ever saw naked boobs in the same room as my mom.  Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper awkward to my 11 y.o. mind.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

SirAndrewD

It's got a younger nekkid Helen Mirren.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 25, 2017, 12:21:07 AM

It's got a younger nekkid Helen Mirren.

Man...I'd take an older nekkid Helen Mirren!
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback