Main Menu

Far Cry 5

Started by Tpek, May 27, 2017, 03:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 27, 2018, 04:42:33 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 27, 2018, 04:28:11 PM
Its getting very positive reviews on steam...I'm a little surprised. AAA titles often get reviewed harshly by the peanut gallery.

Metacritic too, which is a real shocker.

Maybe it's got that Duck Dynasty appeal.

Jarhead0331

I have a sneaking suspicion, this is how the rest of the world sees Americans. Heavily armed religious kooks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 27, 2018, 09:36:19 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion, this is how the rest of the world sees Americans. Heavily armed religious kooks.
Haha not really. Missing one little detail, the characters in the game aren't obese.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 27, 2018, 09:36:19 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion, this is how the rest of the world sees Americans. Heavily armed religious kooks.

I'll say the game's approach to this is a lot more complex. 

There's a strong pro-gun and pro-non extremist religious drive to the story. 

Less about Americans=bad.   More extremisim=bad and Americans are too complacent in the idea that rule of law will help them in a bad situation.  Sort of pro-prepper in a way.   
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Arctic Blast

I'm a couple hours in. Thus far, it's fun. You can have a buddy come along on missions this time, and it looks like there are extra spots which are unlockable.

Also, the travel portion portion can be goddamn NASTY in this game. There is a stream of baddies all over the roads, and this time around they're dangerous.

It's sort of Far Cry 4 (which I loved) meets Just Cause or Red Faction Guerrilla (little side ops and chances to increase resistance levels by blowing a lot of shit up all over the map) meets a taste of Ghost Recon or The Division (your buddies, who all improve and upgrade as they gain experience).

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 27, 2018, 09:36:19 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion, this is how the rest of the world sees Americans. Heavily armed religious kooks.
If they do - and there will be some - then that's their issue. Personally, I'm more with SirAndrewD's assessment.


If you had ever played any of the games Arctic Blast mentioned and fired this up you'd never be under any illusion you were playing an Ubisoft game.

I'm 3 hours in and this has Ghost Recon Wildlands stamped all over it. It'[s even got the faction bosses around the map. Not necessarily a bad thing with 565 hours in that game.

As Arctic Blast said, travelling is dangerous. Lots and LOTS of bad guys.

Sound issues. Sound is fantastic then occasionally it turns to a completely different  method.

Apart from that - I had lots of fun.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people


JudgeDredd

#97
I haven't read the whole review (seems like there could be spoilers in it), but his opening paragraph sounds like he was disappointed there was no political statement

Quote
However you expected to feel about the game's portrayal of gun culture, militias, and weaponized evangelism going in, though, you'll probably come away let down by the game's lack of follow-through on that promise

Personally, if indeed there is no real message in the game, then I'm happy with that. It's a game and I don't need people either side of the political spectrum grabbing hold of any hidden messages so future games become even more dumbed down.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

jomni

JD, in addition, he said there's no flow in story and character development. Just pick missions that are samey. But that's how Ghost Recon Wildlands was and you (and I) seem to find it fun.

Are you British by the way?  I visited London last week.

JudgeDredd

Yeah I didn't read all of it in case there were any spoilers.

Yes I am. I'm actually Scottish and come from Glasgow but I've lived in England since 1983. I live about 50 miles north of London in a place called Colchester. Britain's Oldest Recorded Town and the capital of Roman Britain
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

MikeGER

#100
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 27, 2018, 09:36:19 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion, this is how the rest of the world sees Americans. Heavily armed religious kooks.

na, don't worry

with the shitload of all kind of WW2 themed games around
i never got the sneaking suspicion, this is how the rest of the world sees Germans. Heavily armed (occasionally zombie) Nazi kooks ...but secretly admired for driving around in a super cool assortment of all kind of SdKfz and Tigers and secret weapons of the Luftwaffe, while in sharp looking uniforms designed by Hugo Boss ^-^

jomni

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 28, 2018, 02:27:40 AM
Yeah I didn't read all of it in case there were any spoilers.

Yes I am. I'm actually Scottish and come from Glasgow but I've lived in England since 1983. I live about 50 miles north of London in a place called Colchester. Britain's Oldest Recorded Town and the capital of Roman Britain

That's cool. I also went out of town to visit Matrix / Slitherine in Epsom.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on March 28, 2018, 02:31:47 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 28, 2018, 02:27:40 AM
Yeah I didn't read all of it in case there were any spoilers.

Yes I am. I'm actually Scottish and come from Glasgow but I've lived in England since 1983. I live about 50 miles north of London in a place called Colchester. Britain's Oldest Recorded Town and the capital of Roman Britain

That's cool. I also went out of town to visit Matrix / Slitherine in Epsom.
Nice one  O0 I heard they were based in the UK - I didn't know they were that close.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

my reload finished overnight so hopefully later today i can finally get to play.  looks fun and what i would expect from this line of games.

jomni

Does this game still need U-play if I buy from Steam?