UN Small Arms Treaty

Started by LongBlade, July 11, 2012, 10:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Hey folks.

I think I know where most of you will come down on this issue, but as a courtesy I'm going to post this as information.

Apparently the US is about to sign the small arms treaty with the UN. Known as the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) it is seen my opponents as an end-run around the 2nd Amendment.

Signing it means nothing - the US Senate must ratify the treaty before it becomes official.

However, the vote for the ratification is supposed to be scheduled during the lame duck session in January. That has me mildly concerned because anyone who has been voted out of office no longer has the incentive to worry about pressure from their voters. They can vote simply to spite them. Which means that the treaty *could* be ratified.

I'm surprised this isn't getting any discussion here since there are strong opinions on the issue.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

Strong opinions?  What strong opinions?  ;)

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2012, 11:00:24 AM
Strong opinions?  What strong opinions?  ;)

I've gotta say that while I've toyed with the idea of getting more guns, I have yet to do so. But this would cause me to reconsider the urgency.

I cannot fathom why we would sign this with so little public discussion; the scheduled lame duck ratification makes it even more suspect.

Jarhead0331

^time to stop toying with the idea, and time to start buying!

Its obvious why the current administration would entertain this meaningless nonsense, but thankfully, there is almost no chance it will pass in the house/senate.

Still, if we get another 4 years of BHO, you can bet your bippy he will launch strong attacks on the 2nd Amendment.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bayonetbrant

thankfully "scoring a piece of bippy" never caught on as a catchphrase
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 11, 2012, 11:47:55 AM
thankfully "scoring a piece of bippy" never caught on as a catchphrase

Same goes for "I'm going to kick your bippy!"

W8taminute

Gentlemen, I'm sorry to sound so pessimistic, but every day that goes by convinces me that the end of the American experiment is nigh.  This is yet another example that I was not aware about.

No one seems to be able to stop this monster from intentionally destroying our beloved country.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

The upcoming election is perfectly able to remedy whatever ya don't like :)

W8taminute

I know my friend.  My fear is that there will not be enough of us at the voting stations to make a difference.  People have really changed since I was a kid.  Plus, I live in Assachusetts, kingdom of communism supreme.  I'm surprised I haven't been shipped off to a gulag as one of the few conservatives left in this state.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jack Nastyface

I'm going to stick my neck out here and risk reprisals...but I thought the ATT solely governed the large-scale sale of firearms to and / or between government (and non-government) authorities?

So buying an FN-FAL from the local gun shop, gun show, sporting goods store or fellow shooting enthusiast = okay...but FN selling guns to the Shebab or Hamas = not so okay.

It's no secret that the proliferation of cheap firearms within certain sub-Saharan African countries is one of many factors that has contributed to on-going unrest, and it's also no secret that most of those weapons came from certain former Warsaw Pact countries that have / had little sense or concern about stability (and who may in fact have been pumping weapons into the region in order to foment insurrection and instability).  I just don't see this act ever affecting the US or Britain or Sweden or Belgium as state actors...but it could admittedly affect an individual (most likely - it will substantially increase their profit margin) within those countries who intends to sell weapons to interationally recognized terrorist organizations.

Or am I just one of the sheeple that is beguiled by the obfuscation of the UN Illuminati?

Jack "Queen of Diamonds" Nastyface

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 11, 2012, 05:18:32 PM

Or am I just one of the sheeple that is beguiled by the obfuscation of the UN Illuminati?

Yes.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

In all seriousness, the treaty's details are still under discussion, so nobody really knows how it could ultimately effect the US civilian market or the 2nd Amendment.   However, the treaty could have other potential problems.  It could restrict U.S. foreign policy to the point where we could not arm allies such as Taiwan and Israel.

As far as the 2nd Amendment goes, there have always been concerns that the treaty may end up giving foreigners access to U.S. gun-ownership records.  Additionally, the UN has consistently refused to remove civilian firearms and ammunition from the scope of the treaty.  to some, this amounts to a declaration that only governments should be gun owners.

Let's not forget that the UN has used "excellent" judgment in appointing Iran to a key role in the drafting of the treaty.  Why we as a nation would want to have anything to do with this joke of an organization is beyond my simple mind.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Speak of the devil...I just got this in the mail...

CRAIG,

Today I went to New York to testify before the United Nations to stop the Arms Trade Treaty...a treaty that could ban every rifle, pistol and shotgun you own...a treaty that could turn our God-given Right to Keep and Bear Arms into a U.N.-regulated privilege...

...A treaty that has the full support of President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who are eager to COOPERATE with the U.N.

With the stroke of a pen, Obama invited Syria, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, and the world's worst tyrants and dictators to rewrite our Constitution and lay waste to the Second Amendment.

After the U.N. delayed my testimony and tried to deny me a chance to speak out on behalf of gun owners like you...I stood up to those tyrants and said there will be NO COMPROMISE. American gun owners will never surrender our Second Amendment freedom...period!

But my words fell on deaf ears. Thanks to the Obama administration, this treaty is marching forward, and I need your help to stop it.

First, take a moment right now to sign your Declaration of Independence from the U.N. Gun Ban Treaty today. This declaration demands that your Senators defend freedom and block this dangerous treaty when it reaches the United States Senate.

With Obama's unilateral support for this freedom-destroying treaty, we must rely on the United States Senate to defend our Constitution and refuse to ratify this international gun ban. And your signature on this declaration is the most powerful tool in our arsenal!

Second, after you sign your Declaration, help NRA rally every American gun owner against this U.N. assault on our freedom by making an emergency contribution of $10, $15, $20, $30 or more today.

I want to make sure law-abiding Americans like you will never be forced to kneel before the altar of the U.N. and surrender your constitutional rights!

I want to make sure every American knows that Barack Obama has willingly surrendered our sovereignty and our birthright that generations of patriots have died defending.

With your immediate contribution of $10, $15, $20 or $30, NRA will blanket the country with ads and mailings that expose the truth that Obama is working with the U.N. to attack our Second Amendment freedoms.

And NRA is taking this fight head-on...at U.N. headquarters in New York...on Capitol Hill...and in all 50 states!!!

But we can only win if millions of American gun owners unite and add their voices to this fight. So please, sign your Declaration of Independence and make an urgent gift of $10, $15, $20, $30 or the most generous amount you can afford to NRA now.

Time is running out. The U.N. will vote on this treaty on July 27! Please stand with me and draw your own personal line in the sand against the U.N. Gun Ban Treaty before it's too late. Thank you.

In Liberty,

Wayne LaPierre

P.S. Please forward this call to arms to every family member, friend, co-worker, and gun owner that you know!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog