Strategic Command Classic competition

Started by Boggit, May 08, 2018, 03:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

JasonPratt

Quote from: Father Ted on June 04, 2018, 10:44:27 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 02, 2018, 01:50:33 PM
The manual refers to PBEM++ does it not?

It does, but it also says that you can't use it with the Steam version...

Aha! -- that reconciles all the information.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Anguille

Quote from: Father Ted on June 04, 2018, 10:44:27 AM

It does, but it also says that you can't use it with the Steam version...

Now it's clear! How bad.... :(

Yskonyn

Thanks boggit.

I missed the part about it not being functional for Steam.
Weird, because FoG2 for example, works fine.
Oh well. Old school is fine as well.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Anguille

I Don't have a "classic" folder but one for each edition (pacific and weapons and warfare)....this is really confusing. It seems i have to remember whim whom i play which scenario every time.... ???

Shelldrake

Quote from: Anguille on June 06, 2018, 12:45:17 AM
I Don't have a "classic" folder but one for each edition (pacific and weapons and warfare)....this is really confusing. It seems i have to remember whim whom i play which scenario every time.... ???

Same here. I had to put together a list of games/opponents/emails to keep it all straight.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Millipede

This is what works for me...

After tracking down the appropriate "E-mail" folder with File Explorer, I create a desktop shortcut for that folder and rename it to something that will identify it with the corresponding game/opponent.

Father Ted

....this is really confusing. It seems i have to remember whim whom i play which scenario every time.... ???

Already fallen foul of this...Having two games about Russia against two people whose emails bear no relation to their forum names has already proved too much for my poor logistical skills...

Also not sure we factored in time zones to the turn-around time.  On weekdays I don't see me doing much more than one turn a day.

jomni

I have a question.  There are two Strategic Command Classic titles in Matrix.  What's the diff?  And what's more complete?  No package contains all DLC's?

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=699
"The Matrix version is the Gold Edition of the Original Strategic Command: Blitzkrieg and Weapons and Warfare combined. It also contains the Pacific Theatre and Patton Drives East DLCs"

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=724
"The Matrix version is the Gold Edition of the original and includes the the two DLCs "Assault on Communism" and "Assault on Democracy"."

Boggit

Quote from: jomni on June 06, 2018, 05:14:50 PM
I have a question.  There are two Strategic Command Classic titles in Matrix.  What's the diff?  And what's more complete?  No package contains all DLC's?

"The Matrix version is the Gold Edition of the Original Strategic Command: Blitzkrieg and Weapons and Warfare combined. It also contains the Pacific Theatre and Patton Drives East DLCs"

"The Matrix version is the Gold Edition of the original and includes the the two DLCs "Assault on Communism" and "Assault on Democracy"."
It's the first one that we're using.  :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Father Ted on June 06, 2018, 01:36:03 PM
....this is really confusing. It seems i have to remember whim whom i play which scenario every time.... ???

Already fallen foul of this...Having two games about Russia against two people whose emails bear no relation to their forum names has already proved too much for my poor logistical skills...

Also not sure we factored in time zones to the turn-around time.  On weekdays I don't see me doing much more than one turn a day.
Do what you can within your circumstances, as the competition is supposed to be fun and not a chore. Just explain your situation to your opponent, so that people know what to expect.

I'm hoping that things will get easier for everyone, once you all begin to settle into it.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 04, 2018, 08:06:07 AM
Quote from: Boggit on June 03, 2018, 05:27:39 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by PBEM++. I've seen the term before, but I don't know precisely what it means.

It's a service for most Matrix/Slitherine games, where code within the game helps automate the sending, receiving, and operating of play-by-email games.

I recall the service being controversial for some reason (bugs?) when first implemented many years ago, but I had zero problems with my Decisive Campaigns games vs Barthheart over the past couple of years.

We were hoping that PBEM++ was being implemented into the code by Matrixlitherine, since they're clearly in the process of upgrading the game (somewhat) to modern standards, thus the beta code we're receiving (and testing).
Thanks. I know what you mean now, and have used it myself. :bd:

I think that the PBEM system is just due to the original game being the same as published under Battlefront Inc, but transferred over to Matrix/Slitherine and put on Steam. As the game has been around for quite a while now I doubt whether this game will ever be made PBEM++, but then again I have no idea whether Slitherine will do this retrospectively either.

You are correct that the codes provided were originally Beta codes. However, all they do is unlock exactly the same game that Slitherine is selling on the market. You were not given them for beta testing purposes, nor is there any expectation of you to do any beta testing. They are simply to facilitate the competition.

Boggit

I know that Father Ted is awaiting a reply from Cyrano, but does everyone else have a current opponent for their games?

jomni

Quote from: Boggit on June 06, 2018, 09:56:51 PM
Quote from: jomni on June 06, 2018, 05:14:50 PM

It's the first one that we're using.  :)

I've done some reading.  WWII has more limited maps and scope. Global conflict is more "global" in I guess. So they both have their own appeal.

Father Ted

Quote from: Shelldrake on June 06, 2018, 06:00:12 AM

Same here. I had to put together a list of games/opponents/emails to keep it all straight.

Don't know what email apps you guys have, but I was able to set up rules to funnel emails from each opponent into a separate folder, which has made things a bit easier.