Old World from Soren Johnson

Started by RedArgo, April 14, 2020, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

So I started my first proper game, but in the set-up I did not see any menu for selecting AI opponents...where is that? Or are opponents just randomly assigned?

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

matt3916

Select "Multiplayer", then "Hotseat", you can select specific opponents and set them to "AI". 

Gusington

^Thanks! That's a little roundabout/unintuitive eh...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

matt3916


Gusington

Ok with matt3916's help I have started a real game, Hittites versus the Assyrians. I'm roughly 35 turns in and have been having a good time, I have accomplished 2 out of 10 ambitions so far (producing 400 units of iron, sending out two caravans to Assyria).

However, for the life of me, I do not know what I cannot establish a second city. In the tutorials it was cut and dry - send your settler to a city tile...found city...done.

Now, in this random skirmish game, I keep getting the message that I do not have the city tiles connected to my main city and so can't found another...what am I doing wrong?

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

matt3916

#350
You don't found on a city "tile", you found on a city "site".  If the hex you're trying to establish on doesn't have "city site" in white text, it can't be used to found a city.  Edit -- the "city site" hex itself or one of the surrounding green shaded hexes.

From the steam forums, "If you look on the map you should see two types of urban tiles. Normal urban like you describe, and city sites. City sites are labelled as such and allow founding a city on it or a connected urban tile." 

And also, "You need to settle on one of the clusters of urban tiles and not the isolated ones. If you're wondering what the point of them is, wait until you expand your borders."

Further edit, from the rules "Also be aware that if you decide you don't want a given city site, you can turn it into a minor city (worth money and 2VP's) by expanding your borders such that all non-urban tiles adjacent to the city are inside your borders."

Lot to this game.

devoncop

Hi Gus.

Ran across this in my Carthage Campaign yesterday. I think it literally means you cannot build a city from a single isolated City site as it needs to be connected to a second potential city site adjacent to it.....so basically two or more city site tiles together are needed before you can found a city

I got a Gold victory in the first  Rise of Carthage scenario but before I tackle the second I think I will play a proper full game as  Rome today....something militaristic which will be very different from my usual playstyle....
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

Thanks guys - founding a city was so simple in the tutorials! Will try again tonight.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Still can't found my 2nd Hittite city  :nerd: ...is this a case of having to research the correct techs first, spreading my control over more tiles, etc.? I know when I finally do it, it will seem ridiculously obvious looking back  :pullhair:

Went back and looked at the above posts and don't see any clear cut obvious reasons that I am being held back :/
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Use your scout to find a city tile on the map somewhere.  Camp your unit on that spot so the AI doesn't snag it.  Build a settler in your city.  Move it to the city tile (it should be highlighted in green when the settler is selected) and click build city.  You'll get an option of which family will found the new city.

matt3916

#355
Looking at your original screen shot, that settler is NOT on a city site, he's on an independent urban site.

Not all urban hexes are city sites.  If you don't see the green shading then you're not on an urban site where you can found a city.

devoncop

#356
Yes, as mentioned above Gus, it must have the words " City Site" written on the map next to it. If not it is not eligible. You cant go founding Las Vegas in the Minnesota plains with just a couple of prairie bushes and the bones of a couple of coyotes you know  ;)

My run of success is coming to a shuddering halt in my Roman game I fear at the hands of a concerted Persian counter attack after i destroyed a Persian slinger that had rather rudely sat on a  vacant City Site I had a settler en route to near Rome...I lost 5 units in tge punch up over the area so it hqs set me back quite a bit. Upping the AI aggression and difficulty level may have been a Bridge to Far....I have bribed the Hittites to declare war on the Persians but not sure how capable they are.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

#357
Clearly I'm becoming obsessed with this. Will try again tonight. Are city sites that rare?

And FWIW I posted this question on Steam last night and got a response overnight.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Yes I just read that reply. No way after 50 turns you shouldnt have come across multiple City Sites...after about 40 turns of my Rome game I have settled 4 and been booted out of another by the Persians.  The AI is very quick at trying to grab any city sites it comes across so it is vital you grab some within the first 20 turns or so. Scouts are critical early on for finding these and warriors can usually grab some off barbarians and/tribes.

If you found no sites to settle then that is really weird. If you have gone 50 turns with just one city then a restart may be needed  ;)



http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

^I was just thinking the same thing. Recalling my last turn, there are scattered Assyrian units around the map...they must have claimed those tiles while I was puttering about. Would it be worth it going to war to get a tile?? Or should I just acquiesce and restart...

Also noticed that there were no barbarian tribes in my game. I could swear that I have the game set with tribes active. Another reason to restart, I suppose.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd