The Next Flashpoint ?

Started by MIGMaster, August 20, 2012, 11:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

Quote from: MetalDog on August 21, 2012, 10:02:17 PM
China is the big fish in the small pond.  If their aggressive rhetoric becomes action, they can take their objectives fairly easily before we can get in there.  The Phillipines aren't the home of a mighty American presence anymore.  As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if we have any significant forces any closer than Hawaii or Afghanistan.

I'd think that the 7th fleet, along with the Japanese, would give them a headache.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._7th_Fleet
Any time is a good time for pie.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Bison on August 20, 2012, 08:06:36 PM
Well Japan might want a real military before pissing in China's Cheerios too often.   Of course they (like 3/4 of the freaking "free" world) are depending on American intervention in case of a real conflict.

I wouldnt disregard the Japanese military at all.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Windigo

Quote from: MetalDog on August 21, 2012, 11:31:51 PM
I have no doubt of the capability of the U.S. military.  Ultimately, I think, we would triumph in a Sino-American clash.  It's a matter of getting there quick enough, with enough force to do the job, to make China cough up what they have taken.

Now, if you subscribe to the dim picture Bison paints above, things would get hairy fast.  Iran, the Norks AND Russia at China's side?  How fast would the rest of the world move to stand at OUR side?  All the bad blood and ill will our (occasionally) ham handed international diplomacy has stirred up, would that be put to the side?  Or would the rest of the world sit out and watch us go down? 

I have to imagine the former.  If we go, who's next?  Would everyone be happy to kow tow to China/Russia/Iran?  Ultimately, I think that triumverate would fail due to internal pressure, but that's a scary grouping, even for us.

Iran part of a godless triad???
China and Russia cooperating?

Russia will tidy things up around her borders before doing anythings stupid like backing China over a relatively insignificant 'bit of dirt'
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on August 22, 2012, 02:59:24 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 21, 2012, 11:31:51 PM
I have no doubt of the capability of the U.S. military.  Ultimately, I think, we would triumph in a Sino-American clash.  It's a matter of getting there quick enough, with enough force to do the job, to make China cough up what they have taken.

Now, if you subscribe to the dim picture Bison paints above, things would get hairy fast.  Iran, the Norks AND Russia at China's side?  How fast would the rest of the world move to stand at OUR side?  All the bad blood and ill will our (occasionally) ham handed international diplomacy has stirred up, would that be put to the side?  Or would the rest of the world sit out and watch us go down? 

I have to imagine the former.  If we go, who's next?  Would everyone be happy to kow tow to China/Russia/Iran?  Ultimately, I think that triumverate would fail due to internal pressure, but that's a scary grouping, even for us.

Iran part of a godless triad???
China and Russia cooperating?

Russia will tidy things up around her borders before doing anythings stupid like backing China over a relatively insignificant 'bit of dirt'

Well said.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

iran cant do a thing to help China.  any of you notice whats between the two?
Russia cant do a damn thing for the next few decades due to the state of its economy and military.
north korea is a sideshow at best.  if push came to shove South Korea would be facing reunification
a hell of a lot sooner then it wants to. 
China doesnt have the power projection to retake Tiawan let alone screw with Japan.
the only thing China has in its pocket is the worlds debt and a false economy.
the second that ballon goes up we dont owe them a frikin dime and they know it.
they also know that they cant win.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Windigo

IMO they have more than enough horsepower to take the whole internet and all the e-commerce down with it, not to mention all the infrastructure PLC (Programmable Logic Circuits) control away from us... e.g., Israel's cyber attack on Iran's centrifuges.... that'd fuck us up plenty so we'd not get a free pass bombing China back to the Ming dynasty era
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

there is no one shot carrier killer except a nuke.
Im really not prepared to put much faith in that missile working as advertised either.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 23, 2012, 04:18:24 PM
there is no one shot carrier killer except a nuke.
Im really not prepared to put much faith in that missile working as advertised either.

+1 it's entirely theoretical. I don't know of a single successful test that shows the Chinese could hit a carrier-sized target with a conventional ballistic missile payload.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on August 23, 2012, 08:09:03 PM
+1 it's entirely theoretical. I don't know of a single successful test that shows the Chinese could hit a carrier

Fixed that for ya ;)

mirth

Thanks, LB. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that at least some of their anti-ship missiles work. Not that they'd actually get through the Aegis defenses.  :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on August 24, 2012, 06:00:38 AM
Not that they'd actually get through the Aegis defenses.  :P

That's really what I was thinking. I'm sure their stuff works. I'm not sure it is ready to take on the USN's entire bag of tricks.

Staggerwing

It would depend on how fast the ballistic missile was traveling at approach. It's a safe bet that it would be many times faster than a sea skimmer or other short range shipkiller. Even aegis could have trouble tracking something traveling two miles a second.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 24, 2012, 08:39:13 AM
It would depend on how fast the ballistic missile was traveling at approach. It's a safe bet that it would be many times faster than a sea skimmer or other short range shipkiller. Even aegis could have trouble tracking something traveling two miles a second.

Yeah, but are ballistic missles "guided" in anyway? "Ballistic Missile" implies fired on a trajectory and hit what's on the end of the ballistic path. If not then just detect and move your carrrier....  ???

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 24, 2012, 08:39:13 AM

We have a number of Aegis ships configured for ballistic missile defense. The Japanese have a few of their's set up for it as well. I think it's a fairly proven system with a number of successful tests.