Main Menu

Guild Wars 2

Started by Huw the Poo, September 01, 2012, 07:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Kushan

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 09, 2012, 02:23:34 AM
Quote from: Kushan on September 08, 2012, 09:39:57 PM
With 8 classes I feel like they either need to offer 3 more slots as a micro transaction or feel forced to buy a second copy of the game to try them all out without deleting any of my original 5.

They already do this.  Press O in-game to bring up the Black Lion Trading Company interface.  The first screen is a gem store, in which you can pay money to buy gems, and exchange them for things like extra character slots.

I agree with your comments about the storyline.  It's becoming clear now why the game was in beta for so long.  There's clearly been an insane level of polish applied and the team have thought of so much to ensure GW2 was dazzling on release.  I just love this game. :)

Thanks Huw. Checked of the Black Lion interface this morning. You can either spend $35 to buy enough gems for 3 slots, or you can buy them individually and $10 a slot. Both of those are a little too expensive for me at the moment. I'll just use my 5th slot to be the one for classes I just want to try out. Its not like it takes that much effort to level.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Huw the Poo

#151
Yeah that's pretty much my plan too.  A lot of people have defended the pricing of gems, but I really do think they're quite expensive.  I mean, you can buy a new account for the equivalent price in gems it would cost to get five new slots.  And a totally cosmetic outfit costs 500 gems, where the fewest number you can buy is 800 at £8.50.  Others may think that isn't expensive but I certainly do.

But hey, it's not like you're forced to.

LongBlade

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 09, 2012, 11:41:27 AM
I have to admit though, that I hadn't considered the implications from a DBA point of view; thanks for the insights.  I imagine they'll allow it - for a fee in gems - later on.

One of the jobs I've always wanted and never had is DBA. Yeah, I'm that kind of nerd.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 09, 2012, 12:01:15 PM
Yeah that's pretty much my plan too.  A lot of people have defended the pricing of gems, but I really do think they're quite expensive.  I mean, you can buy a new account for the equivalent price in gems it would cost to get five new slots.  And a totally cosmetic outfit costs 500 gems, where the fewest number you can buy is 800 at £8.50.  Others may think that isn't expensive but I certainly do.

But hey, it's not like you're forced to.

Well, I haven't banged my head against their pricing structure yet.

However, let's not overlook the fact that this is an MMO without a monthly subscription fee. If we were in the early launch of WoW we'd shell out $50 + $15/month in perpetuity. So asking for some cash to expand player slots (which some folks won't use) doesn't seem extraordinarily greedy to me. I'm not eager to go out and buy new slots because I only have one toon so far.

Just some perspective. I reserve the right to change my mind and bitch after I've played a bit more :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Huw the Poo

Oh yeah, they definitely need another revenue stream besides account sales.  I don't blame them at all.  But they've priced themselves beyond what I personally am willing to spend, at least.

I imagine they'll probably make a lot of money from the gem store.

LongBlade

I'm thinking the same thing. It'll be a while before I start buying gems.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Tpek

Mind you I've already teamed up with SoM and we went questing together today :)

LongBlade

Quote from: Tpek on September 09, 2012, 01:42:59 PM
Mind you I've already teamed up with SoM and we went questing together today :)

Cool. I may jump on later this afternoon.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Kushan

When I choose a category for trait points does it lock me out of the other 4 categories? Is there a way to respec if you are locked out of the others?
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Huw the Poo

It doesn't lock you out, no, you can distribute the points as you see fit, although I gather putting points into all trait lines is massively inefficient.

I haven't tried it myself, but I believe you can respec by buying the training manual appropriate to your level again.

LongBlade

Quote from: Kushan on September 09, 2012, 01:49:50 PM
When I choose a category for trait points does it lock me out of the other 4 categories? Is there a way to respec if you are locked out of the others?

The official wiki says they can be reset by using a training manual or coins.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trait
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

I haven't even found my class trainer yet.  Nor have I found the heavy armor crafting trainer.  I've been too busy trying to get all the portals in Queensland and stuff.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on September 09, 2012, 01:53:24 PM
I haven't even found my class trainer yet.  Nor have I found the heavy armor crafting trainer.  I've been too busy trying to get all the portals in Queensland and stuff.

Bison, I didn't see your name when I tried to friend you last night. Can you send me a request? GrogHead.8630
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Will do boss once I get on my desktop.  I don't have GW2 installed on my laptop.

Tpek

Quote from: Bison on September 09, 2012, 01:53:24 PM
I haven't even found my class trainer yet.  Nor have I found the heavy armor crafting trainer.  I've been too busy trying to get all the portals in Queensland and stuff.

You can find one pretty much everywhere.
In your race's home realm, in Lion's Arch (the hub to which all race realms are connected) and in the starting area for your race.