Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine

Started by bayonetbrant, June 07, 2013, 07:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately I couldn't "zoom in" to read it properly.

I picked up a  couple of things from the TAL Review....but couldn't read it specifically to address the "issues" he may have raised.

I do know I have played TAL a couple of times and look forward to playing more of it. Like I said - I can't read the writing in the pdf...so can't give any credibility to his mention/review of it...though he is likely a prominent gamer/reviewer I didn't see too many hang ups with the board game

Alba gu' brath

Ubercat

If you're using Windows there should be a magnifier tool under the Start Menu that will do the trick. It may take a bit of fiddling to figure out how best to use it. Worked for me.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Staggerwing

That review was a bit tough to read, even with the magnifying tool, due to the author's awkward writing style. It seems to be a 'Bablefish' version of something that was originally printed in a non-English language.

Is the magazine itself also available as a pdf or some other accessible method? I'd like to read more of it but the need for a magnifying glass makes it frustrating. Also, when zoomed in, the text becomes pixilated, adding to the annoyance.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

it's a print-only magazine, and the online preview is just for lathering up the audience.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Arctic Blast

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 07, 2013, 07:43:49 PM
Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately I couldn't "zoom in" to read it properly.

I picked up a  couple of things from the TAL Review....but couldn't read it specifically to address the "issues" he may have raised.

I do know I have played TAL a couple of times and look forward to playing more of it. Like I said - I can't read the writing in the pdf...so can't give any credibility to his mention/review of it...though he is likely a prominent gamer/reviewer I didn't see too many hang ups with the board game

His Cons :

-The board is weird. (This is an exact quote. I have no idea in what context he means this)
-Target counters are awful and bland.
-Everything is desert color scheme.
-Pilot card graphics are boring. Pilots are all dull and boring and you end up with a squad of average guys lacking personality. Then later on, he says that the original game had pilots he cared about more because their helmets looked different. Therefore, he could relate to them better. I couldn't make up something this stupid if I tried.
-Weapons do not feel right, with no real profile of their own. They're just Range and Hit numbers. He then rambles about how there aren't multiple variant TOW missiles, and claims that they have a harder time killing tanks than other non AT-specialized weapons (I have no idea if he's right or not, someone who has actually pulled their copy off the shelf and played it will have to answer that).
-The game box talks about close air support, but there are no friendly units.

Totally agree with Stagger...this is just weirdly written. "Once you have selected planes and pilots, you start the intervention in a far away badland." Who writes like that?! Robots?! And then there's his conclusion. I'll rewrite it here verbatim.

QuoteConsidering its illustrious ancestor TAL is certainly my greatest disappointment of the year. It has a good basic engine, but the implementation is a joke. I will be blunt, but I expected a designer to be able to do proper research, especially if he put this sentence in the product description: "This game is perfect for both expert level military gamers."

???

GAH! That wasn't it! There's another page!

"I think that TAL is the perfect example of why you do not need to heed to these sirens." This is his blathering bit of nonsense attacking those who suggest simplicity in wargames might be a good thing. Or it's a garbled order for pancakes. I don't really know.

He then goes on to talk about how maybe these calls for simplicity and abstraction should be ignored...except when they shouldn't be ignored...and that you need details...but you need a limit on details. Either this is the worst translation effort of all time, or this review was put together by a Speak & Spell that has achieved sentience.

bayonetbrant

about half of Battles! writers' are on the continent - France, Germany, Italy - and the translations aren't always great, but honestly I find it part of the charm of the magazine.  There are also times when the Brits/Scots read like a bad translation, too ;)

One thing you can't deny is that the graphics are fucking kick-ass awesome with a side of "hell yeah!"

Staggerwing

I found the website: http://www.battlesmagazine.com/eshop/index.php

Wow! That magazine ain't cheap! 100 Euros (inc. shipping to US) for 4 issues!  :o That's about $132 US right now.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

GJK

I believe that they come with magazine games as well for that price.  However, I don't know of any of their games that got just exceptional reviews.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

every issue comes with a game, and subscriptions come with a bonus game, too.  Some of them are quite good - Hue and Arras come immediately to mind - and some are OK.

I quite enjoyed Night Drop, too, which was one of the bonus games. 

But above all else, the images, graphics, photos, and layouts are just pure wargaming pr0n.  It's a beautiful magazine.

bob48

It does look like nice stuff. I know they do a Dien Bien Phu game that I've been considering buying.

Edited for bad memory - The one I'm thinking of is in the 'Against the Odds' mag, so, as you were.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Is that web issue indicative of how many articles each issue sports? With only 4 issues I'd need a lot of content to reach for my wallet. The games do help. I thought about ordering a back issue to try but even that would run about $60 w/ shipping.

bayonetbrant

the mages run 140+ pages and a good 14-20 articles in each, plus other stuff

kellycalark

Goodbye lame spammer. Your kind ain't tolerated in these parts.

bickford

Understand you are proud of your contributions to that magazine yet they crap all over you and the other former/current military designers (Danny Holte etc..) on their secret Perfidious Albion yahoo group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/perfidiousalbion/info