Main Menu

Halloween Season Gaming

Started by Bison, October 09, 2013, 12:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: mirth on October 10, 2013, 11:25:54 AM
I'm going to break out my copy of Eternal Darkness for Game Cube. That's right bitches, Game Cube.

That is a great great game. So many amazing things about it. I keep meaning to play it on my Wii, just to experience the fun again.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

-budd-

I go with fear1 or maybe deadspace...what about bioshock1..i'm enjoying that now. system shock 2 would be a good choice if you can deal with the graphics. I'm 2/3 of the way thru doom 3 and just lost interest, guess you can't go home again. It's dark, but i don't find the atmosphere that spooky or interesting, and the gun play is underwhelming. Guess after playing fear it just doesn't impress me.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on October 10, 2013, 08:57:12 PM
What is Betrayer?


http://store.steampowered.com/app/243120/


Quote
About the Game
Betrayer is a first person action adventure game that takes you to the New World at the turn of the 17th century.

The year is 1604. You sailed from England expecting to join a struggling colony on the coast of Virginia. Instead, you find only ghosts and mysteries. What catastrophe blighted the land and drained it of color and life? Where are the settlers and tribes who lived here? And who is the strange, silent woman in red who aids you from afar?

Clue by clue, you must piece together the story of what befell this doomed settlement and find a way to set things right. You will be hunted by corrupted Conquistadors and ravening shadows as you explore an expansive wilderness in order to trace the brief, tragic history of the colony and search for survivors.


Key Features

    -Chart your own course through an untamed wilderness teeming with danger and discovery.
    -Unravel the colony's many mysteries by gathering clues and awakening the memories of the dreaming dead.
    -Build up an arsenal of early 17th century weaponry including muskets, bows, crossbows, and throwing axes.
    -Collect untold treasures hidden in the wilds by the colonists for reasons you will come to understand in time.

Still in Alpha, early access and on sale for about ten bucks.  I've not played it yet but since it will have open areas, exploration, and the early colonial setting it was an easy choice for me.








Father Ted

Quote from: LongBlade on October 10, 2013, 11:36:06 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on October 10, 2013, 11:28:11 AM


Where did this pic come from?

Left 4 Dead 2.

I know the game, I actually meant the particular picture as it depicts something probably only an Aussie or Pom would "get".

Staggerwing

Betrayer looks good. What is the significance of some scenes being in all B&W and some having a smattering of color? Is the B&W how things look at night or something?

Also, in the creepy game vein ( :D), has anyone here played Necrovision? How is it?


Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

-budd-

Quote from: Gusington on October 09, 2013, 07:23:27 PM

In the meantime here is the trailer for the Dark Mod.



thx for the heads up on this.Downloaded and installed, loaded a mission to see if it worked ok....so far so good......I like the price ;) ..thx again.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

Great! I have been unable to actually get to the Dark Mod site...will try again later.

I have NecroVision but have not played it yet...it's supposed to be good campy fun and pretty hard too.

Deadspace is a great choice...scary game series.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Quote from: Ubercat on October 10, 2013, 09:06:39 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 10, 2013, 11:54:37 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 10, 2013, 11:49:25 AM
How about the Draugr from Skyrim? I know, not scary at all. The Vampires? No. Not really that scary either. But the damned Giant Spiders that fall out of the ceiling on your head? That's about as scary as it gets for me. Except for maybe a family reunion without alcohol.

I always played a sneaky archer so spiders weren't such a problem for me. Go slow, look around. Zip!

Isn't sneaky archer the only way you CAN play?

LOL...it was the only I could play and survive.  I found melee combat extremely difficult, it seemed the bad guys could dance around at the speed of light and easily get behind me and bash me to death. I love the game but thought melee combat was it most glaring flaw.

BanzaiCat

I enjoyed running up to things and bashing them with a warhammer in Skyrim.

Gusington

I need to know the most frightening locale in Skyrim, modded or vanilla...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

The little boy in the Dark Brotherhood quest scared me so badly that I never went back. The House of Horrors quest in Markarth was pretty scary especially the first time the Deadric Prince began talking to me out of nowhere. There was one cave with spider webs everywhere when you first enter and then a number were in the webs above you and would jump on top of you when you walked under them. Sneaky Archer didn't help unless you were looking up. I still have dreams...
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Now we're talking...but after 100s of hours I don't remember if I've actually played through some of those already.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

#57
"Undead Nightmare", the alternate extended epilogue to Red Dead Redemption. Fighting a zombie apocalypse in a large early 20th century wild west sandbox game. Doesn't need completing RDR to play, though it references several plot points along the way so it might be confusing.

One of the scariest games I played on the original Unreal engine was the (attempt at a) Wheel of Time tie-in. Seems hard to find now, and I'm unsure it would work on modern systems, but the designers worked hard to play up the horror/suspense aspects found in the novels, and designed some impressive levels around the limitation of not being able to throw more than a few enemies at the player at once.

While not at all scary (to me), it would be hard to beat the recent Castlevania reboot Lords of Shadow for pure evil-smiting Halloween action.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 11, 2013, 06:18:37 AM
Betrayer looks good. What is the significance of some scenes being in all B&W and some having a smattering of color? Is the B&W how things look at night or something?

Also, in the creepy game vein ( :D), has anyone here played Necrovision? How is it?

NecroVision works great as a cheezy, camp horror movie in game form. You will have to pause because you're laughing out loud at the ridiculous dialogue and bizarre situations that you encounter.

BanzaiCat

I know it's silly now, but I could never finish Alien vs Predator 2. It scared the piss out of me. I know it's because I was allowed to watch the original Alien flick at a too-young, tender age.