Main Menu

Job Posting

Started by ChrisK, October 10, 2013, 12:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ChrisK

I don't see a specific place to post job openings. I'd like to post the following openings (and if this is inappropriate, I would ask a mod to move or delete the thread). Both are full-time positions in Austin, Texas, US of A. 8)


  • Technical Editor - Must be an experienced technical editor with a solid grasp of military history and technology (particularly vehicles). Bonuses would include research and analysis experience, military service, Russian language skills, and/or an advanced degree in military history. Time would be divided mainly between editing translations of documents from Russian (already in English, somewhat...) and writing/editing white papers, design documents, and rules sets for transmedia development. This role reports to the Special Projects Manager (who reports to me! ;D).

  • Researcher/Analyst - An experienced researcher/analyst with expertise in military technology and/or history. We'd prefer Russian language skills, military service (particularly in an intelligence/analyst role), and a degree in history. Time would be spent mainly researching vehicles and equipment for existing and future game projects (tanks, planes, ships, etc.), providing research support to the Technical Editor, and developing white papers on specific topics in military history or technology to help game designers create realistic military vehicle designs. This role also reports to the Special Projects Manager (who still reports to me!  ::)).

To be quite honest, we're not looking for gamers who are passionate amateurs about military games and history (although that's great too, since it describes most of our team, and it's also how I entered the game industry 15 years ago on a forum like this!). We're looking for experienced professionals who have done this kind of thing, or something similar enough that they would require little explanation, training, or follow-up editing.

EDIT: I should probably mention, please contact me directly at chris@wargaming.net

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

CptHowdy

"to help game designers create realistic military vehicle designs"

I take it none of these guys worked on WoT?  ;)

hehe a little jab at some of the never made it off the drawing board or fantasy tanks that are currently in the game.

good luck in your search though.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: LongBlade on October 10, 2013, 01:12:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 10, 2013, 01:10:57 PM
How's your 401(k)?

LOL

How's your Russian, JH?

I'd say its, "удовлетворительного до хорошего"
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


GJK

I'm a former Marine that had Intelligence Specialist as an MOS AND I already live in the Austin area.  Should I apply?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GJK on October 10, 2013, 01:57:03 PM
I'm a former Marine that had Intelligence Specialist as an MOS AND I already live in the Austin area.  Should I apply?

But how is your Russian?  and how the heck do you have NEGATIVE 4,234 posts?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 10, 2013, 02:00:13 PM
Quote from: GJK on October 10, 2013, 01:57:03 PM
I'm a former Marine that had Intelligence Specialist as an MOS AND I already live in the Austin area.  Should I apply?

and how the heck do you have NEGATIVE 4,234 posts?

That is a bit strange.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

vyshka

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 10, 2013, 02:00:13 PM
Quote from: GJK on October 10, 2013, 01:57:03 PM
I'm a former Marine that had Intelligence Specialist as an MOS AND I already live in the Austin area.  Should I apply?

But how is your Russian?  and how the heck do you have NEGATIVE 4,234 posts?

Translating it as signed integer instead of unsigned? My Russian is rusty at this point. I went through DLI in '91, and haven't done much with it the past 10 years. The grammar is pretty much hard-wired in my head, but the vocab has atrophied. They should have posted in '98 which would have been right after spending a year in Moscow.

LongBlade

Quote from: LongBlade on October 10, 2013, 02:45:05 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 10, 2013, 02:00:13 PM
Quote from: GJK on October 10, 2013, 01:57:03 PM
I'm a former Marine that had Intelligence Specialist as an MOS AND I already live in the Austin area.  Should I apply?

and how the heck do you have NEGATIVE 4,234 posts?

That is a bit strange.

Mystery solved.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: LongBlade on October 10, 2013, 03:54:31 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 10, 2013, 02:45:05 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 10, 2013, 02:00:13 PM
Quote from: GJK on October 10, 2013, 01:57:03 PM
I'm a former Marine that had Intelligence Specialist as an MOS AND I already live in the Austin area.  Should I apply?

and how the heck do you have NEGATIVE 4,234 posts?

That is a bit strange.

Mystery solved.

I was waiting for y'all to solve it.  I figured it out in about 4 seconds... ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 10, 2013, 04:09:31 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 10, 2013, 03:54:31 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 10, 2013, 02:45:05 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 10, 2013, 02:00:13 PM
Quote from: GJK on October 10, 2013, 01:57:03 PM
I'm a former Marine that had Intelligence Specialist as an MOS AND I already live in the Austin area.  Should I apply?

and how the heck do you have NEGATIVE 4,234 posts?

That is a bit strange.

Mystery solved.

I was waiting for y'all to solve it.  I figured it out in about 4 seconds... ;)

LOL.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


ChrisK

Jarhead0331: 401k is 50% matching to 10% of your pay (excellent!)

CptHowdy: the historical tanks are historical - the prototypes are, well, remember Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe? Some are napkin ideas, some wooden mockups, some even made it to prototype stage. Personally, I prefer to play the historical models. 8)

Guys, Russian is a "nice to have" not a requirement. BTW I went through DLI for Basic Russian in 93-94 and Intermediate Russian 97-98. ;D

GDS_Starfury

#13
QuoteTo be quite honest, we're not looking for gamers who are passionate amateurs about military games and history

there are no amatures here.
also, do we get to move back to Austin?
oh, and my grammer is most gooder.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

by the way Chris, Id really like to have a Coelian in WoT.
its on my Santa list.

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.