Hunting - Crossbows

Started by Windigo, October 24, 2013, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 29, 2013, 10:09:23 AM
QuoteI was saying some folks in your country do hunt with MGs. Someone chimed in and said that is just a Hollywood movie myth. So I presented a movie picture and a movie

only an idiot would hunt deer or squirrel or whatever with a MG.  there is a difference and I think youre taking the hog issue as representing the mainstream attitude of American hunters.

Exactly.

It's also highly illegal to hunt with an MG - something I've already written at least once (above).
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

unless you're hunting Canadistanians.   ;)

Ive recently baited a trap in Wyoming with fossilized bait.  we'll see what happens.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Airborne Rifles

There is also that hunting with a crossbow/compound bow often kills the animal more quickly because the arrow/shaft can cause more damage in many circumstances.  Also gives the animal a better chance to escape since you have to get much closer to shoot them.  Just my $.02.  I've "hunted" with a bow, but never killed anything.  I guess that's why it's called "hunting" and not "killing"  ;D.

GDS_Starfury

for the record I really dont enjoy the killing part of hunting.  its not food Im going to be eating.  the vast majority of hunters in the US do eat what the hunt.  the fun part for me is slinking around the brush.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


bayonetbrant

Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 29, 2013, 09:56:36 AM
QuoteNow, Grim, if this is a back-door way into opening an argument about gun control

It is not, neither through the front nor the back door - this has nothing to do with gun-control.

Please don't think I was accusing you of that.  We've just seen a lot of different attempts to steer arguments in those directions.  I'm probably over-cautious about it these days.  mea culpa
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 29, 2013, 10:41:09 AMthe fun part for me is slinking around the brush.

yes, but the question is - and you're probably the forum expert on this - is "slinking around the brush" more fun or less fun when the prey has a restraining order against you? ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 29, 2013, 10:41:09 AM
for the record I really dont enjoy the killing part of hunting.  its not food Im going to be eating.  the vast majority of hunters in the US do eat what the hunt.  the fun part for me is slinking around the brush.

Then take a camera instead.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

MikeGER

#97
Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 29, 2013, 09:56:36 AM

Getting shot hurts, true. Getting shot by some dude with a MG who tries to hit and kill while sitting in a helicopter and smiling into the cam does hurt a lot more and is just plain wrong. Hurting and killing animals this way while making such 'cool' videos is wrong. And I suppose - correct me if I am wrong - that these folks in their helicopters can be legally everybody who owns a weapon. You don't have to be someone 'official' like a forter or such

That opens the door for these fun party rides I find disgusting.

Grim  you dont want to walk down that path....
  A little bit more tolerance here for different peoples life styles. ::)   ... esp. in another country.

Its a family side so we better dont discuss in detail what stuff a lot of people - including me- find most disgusting, going on in your pansy home  ;) 

Windy wants to hunt with a cross bow, its legal at his place ...so tollerate it. You dont have to join him!

and he will surly not make any rainbow colored unicorns suffer ;)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 29, 2013, 10:54:44 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 29, 2013, 10:41:09 AM
for the record I really dont enjoy the killing part of hunting.  its not food Im going to be eating.  the vast majority of hunters in the US do eat what the hunt.  the fun part for me is slinking around the brush.

Then take a camera instead.

y'see - that's how he got the restraining order in the first place!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: MikeGER on October 29, 2013, 10:56:00 AM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 29, 2013, 09:56:36 AM

Getting shot hurts, true. Getting shot by some dude with a MG who tries to hit and kill while sitting in a helicopter and smiling into the cam does hurt a lot more and is just plain wrong. Hurting and killing animals this way while making such 'cool' videos is wrong. And I suppose - correct me if I am wrong - that these folks in their helicopters can be legally everybody who owns a weapon. You don't have to be someone 'official' like a forter or such

That opens the door for these fun party rides I find disgusting.

Grim  you dont want to walk down that path....
  A little bit more tolerance here for different peoples life styles. ::)   ... esp. in another country.

Its a family side so we better dont discuss in detail what stuff a lot of people - including me- find most disgusting, going on in your pansy home  ;) 

Windy wants to hunt with a cross bow, its legal at his place ...so tollerate it. You dont have to join him!

and he will surly not make any rainbow colored unicorns suffer ;)

There's more going on with hunting than simply killing animals.

State conservation departments attempt to closely monitor the populations of various species.

When there are too many deer (due to a lack of natural predators like wolves) they increase the number of deer tags, or the number of doe tags to reduce the population to healthy levels. If they didn't the deer would overbreed, overeat, and eventually start to starve. That opens the door for diseases, which could endanger the entire deer population. Conversely, if the populations grow too small conservation departments will limit the number of tags issued - or even prohibit hunting altogether. Amazingly (not the lease because it's government management) it generally works pretty well.

So there really is more to this than just "animal suffering." Any discussion of hunting without full knowledge as to how and why is...uninformed (to be generous).
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 29, 2013, 10:23:42 AM
unless you're hunting Canadistanians.   ;)

Ive recently baited a trap in Wyoming with fossilized bait.  we'll see what happens.


dum-dee-dum-dee-dum-dee-dum .....   "heeeeeeyyyyyyyy   whats that????"
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Grimnirsson

QuoteGrim  you dont want to walk down that path....
  A little bit more tolerance here for different peoples life styles. ::)   ... esp. in another country.

I am not allowed to express my opinion in a public thread on something just because the thread starter is living in another country and has another 'life style'? In a forum where I am a member like everybody else? Hello? The Taliban also have a different 'life style' and they live in another country...(no, I'm NOT saying Americans are like the Taliban just in case someone is again reading something into my words - this is just an example why I consider that as nonsense)

QuoteIts a family side so we better dont discuss in detail what stuff a lot of people - including me- find most disgusting, going on in your pansy home  ;) 

Sorry, I don't understand that sentence...what side of which family?

QuoteWindy wants to hunt with a cross bow, its legal at his place ...so tollerate it. You dont have to join him!

No I don't, nor would I. Many things in many countries are legal there, that doesn't mean I have to agree with anything that happens in such a country. My initial point was that you should be a pretty good and experienced bow/crossbow hunter to not cause more suffering than is neccessary when you go hunting. Read post no. 2 on page 1 of this thread...

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Grimnirsson

QuoteSo there really is more to this than just "animal suffering." Any discussion of hunting without full knowledge as to how and why is...uninformed (to be generous).

Why keep you on to ignore what I say? I didn't talk about the neccessity of animal population control.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

LongBlade

Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 29, 2013, 11:24:14 AM
QuoteSo there really is more to this than just "animal suffering." Any discussion of hunting without full knowledge as to how and why is...uninformed (to be generous).

Why keep you on to ignore what I say? I didn't talk about the neccessity of animal population control.

Then what's your point? America has some ignorant people? I don't understand what you're trying to say.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grimnirsson

QuoteThen what's your point? America has some ignorant people? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

This constant asking 'what's your point?' ...well, if you did not understand what I was 'trying' to say, then I can't explain it to you, I really don't know what else to say. Luckily Bayonetbrant was able to understand what I said. *sigh*
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de