Video games blow movies away for 2013 revenue: $100 Billion vs. $10 Billion.

Started by MuzzyDev, November 08, 2013, 02:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

QuoteMoreover, there's nothing cool about doing the same thing over and over

Well, if you really like a certain gameplay and the series does not give it up but gives you more of the same (that you like so much) it's a seller and that's cool ;)

I have played all CoD games and still enjoy to play the newest incarnation of this 'game reborn every year' - there's simply no other game around like it. A fast smooth running (well, Blops 2 was disappointing here, micro stuttering and lag and all) FPS that I can play when I come home too tired for anything else, e.g. a story, a RPG, or too long sessions (BF matches are far longer). There's no other FPS that allows for such a relaxing couch coop experience via split screen. I can play a new CoD right out of the box because I know the game in and out and it stays the same control-wise and all. For me it's interesting to see how the game series can stay fresh and still be the same experience :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

GDS_Starfury

I think its safe to assume that if its in the computer gaming section we're talking about pc games.  There's a seperate forum for console games.  just saying.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Grimnirsson

Perhaps then the thread should have been in the console section given that the link is about video games, just saying...

See GDS, I don't give up that easily ;)

www.homefrontcenter.de

GDS_Starfury

I'm commenting on your remark not the original article.

Are you sure you want to play who quits first with me?
Keep in mind I've got a helicopter and a machine gun.  8)

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Grimnirsson

www.homefrontcenter.de

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Grimnirsson on November 12, 2013, 02:16:34 PMPerhaps then the thread should have been in the console section given that the link is about video games, just saying...

there are plenty of people that don't look down the list far enough to see that there's a separate "console" section.  And honestly, thishere boardgamer isn't convinced there's that much difference ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

W8taminute

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 12, 2013, 03:24:10 PM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on November 12, 2013, 02:16:34 PMPerhaps then the thread should have been in the console section given that the link is about video games, just saying...

there are plenty of people that don't look down the list far enough to see that there's a separate "console" section.  And honestly, thishere boardgamer isn't convinced there's that much difference ;)

It's a shame that more members don't visit the console section more often.  As a bigtime PC guy who recently has become a console whore there is a lot of entertainment that should not be dismissed in console land.  Just my opinion but I ask all to open their minds and hearts and understand that console gaming is far different that PC gaming.  Both are equally entertaining but among adults consoles have been given a bad reputation as a hive of teenage young dumb and full of bleep idiots.  It is not the case however.  Like anything in life you make it as fun as you want or as miserable as you want.  Anyway enough of my console sales pitch.

The CoD and the BF franchises always deliver fun imho.  There is something there to satisfy everyone every year.  Opinions vary to be sure but for some these games that come out year after year offer some kind of entertainment.  Sure some years are better than others but like movies, books, opinions, newspapers, cars, smartphones, etc. some iterations of these products won't do well but subsequent versions will.  Then you have the human being whose opinions are purely subjective.  What might be fun fun fun for some might be utter feldercarb to others. 

The trick gentlemen, is not to find a better game but to encourage the forum members you trust to give their opinion on a game and match their personal tastes with yours.  If you can do that you have found someone you can trust to judge a game for you in the absence of actually playing the game yourself. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

GDS_Starfury

oh, I think that there are lots of great games for consoles but I hate the controls for them.  gimmi a mouse and keyboard any day.  after spending all day with tools in my hands I have no desire to wrap my hands around a contorted plastic lump and mash buttons.

Bison

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 12, 2013, 06:16:02 PM
  after spending all day with tools in my hands I have no desire to wrap my hands around a contorted plastic lump and mash buttons.

Must...resist...making...crude...jokes...must...resist...much...we...must...resist...so...difficult...too....resist...joke...

GDS_Starfury

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 12, 2013, 11:14:02 AM
I don't think it's bad etiquette  to state opinions as opinions, and facts as facts, rather than vice versa.

"You're an asshole" is a very different statement from "I think you're being an asshole".

Everyone is part asshole. :o
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Bison

GDS_Starfury

yet it is.

so heres my question.  with all of that money poured into making the game how hard could it be to make a solid sp campaign?

Bison

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 12, 2013, 07:27:04 PM
yet it is.

so heres my question.  with all of that money poured into making the game how hard could it be to make a solid sp campaign?

In the case of CoD or Battlefield, clearly they've proved over the last decade that no one should expect a single player campaign experience that lasts longer than 8 hours. 

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 12, 2013, 07:27:04 PM
yet it is.

In the case of CoD, I'm wondering where ANY of that money goes. There is relatively no new content, the engine is the same, some weapons recycled...10 billion for 8 hours of sp gameplay and making a few mp maps?