IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Quote from: Tuna on October 16, 2019, 04:58:09 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on October 16, 2019, 02:13:54 PM
Yeah... I'm not good enough to fly with you lot. I've still got my training wheels on... :hide:

There is nothing outstanding going on with me, JP and W8t.. plenty of crashes during takeoffs and taxiing.. Haven't flown since last winter, so I'm sure I will suck even more!

Ha! I can barely survive starting in the air, let alone trying to take off or land.   :crazy2:

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Barthheart on October 16, 2019, 05:20:23 PM

Ha! I can barely survive starting in the air, let alone trying to take off or land.   :crazy2:

It took me a long time before I could do take offs and landings as well.   I found that one trick for those is to constantly work on and tweak your input devices. 

HOTAS and rudder sensitivity were a big reason I was having trouble spinning out keeping control on a tarmac.  It was just a lot of trial and error to get them to the point to where what I was getting out of the game matched what I was intending when applying control.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Barthheart

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 16, 2019, 06:07:43 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on October 16, 2019, 05:20:23 PM

It took me a long time before I could do take offs and landings as well.   I found that one trick for those is to constantly work on and tweak your input devices. 

HOTAS and rudder sensitivity were a big reason I was having trouble spinning out keeping control on a tarmac.  It was just a lot of trial and error to get them to the point to where what I was getting out of the game matched what I was intending when applying control.

Yeah, no practice is definitely part of my problem. But so is the lack of proper equipment. All I have is an ancient Logitech Attack 3 joystick. Oh and a severe lack of eye-hand coordination any more....

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Barthheart on October 16, 2019, 06:22:31 PM

Yeah, no practice is definitely part of my problem. But so is the lack of proper equipment. All I have is an ancient Logitech Attack 3 joystick. Oh and a severe lack of eye-hand coordination any more....

You might want to try the auto-rudder feature.  It makes things easier if you're just on the joystick. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Barthheart

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 16, 2019, 06:25:30 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on October 16, 2019, 06:22:31 PM

You might want to try the auto-rudder feature.  It makes things easier if you're just on the joystick.

Huh... see, I didn't even know that was an option. Where is it buried?

Tuna

Hop in the a-20 it's a breeze to take off.. no twisting and turning!

Grim.Reaper

Remind me again, if I purchase on steam or at the official store, is the content accessible on steam and also their client?  Or is it tied to the source you buy it from?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Barthheart on October 16, 2019, 06:27:18 PM

Open up the quick mission generator.  Take a look at the bottom right, there should be a tab for realism next to the start button. 

You can assign a custom realism profile and piloting assistance is on the far right.   Quite a few settings there that make things easier but don't entirely ruin the experience.   

Mostly they help get over the handicap of not having a high end interface setup.

Barthheart

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 16, 2019, 06:40:17 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on October 16, 2019, 06:27:18 PM

Open up the quick mission generator.  Take a look at the bottom right, there should be a tab for realism next to the start button. 

You can assign a custom realism profile and piloting assistance is on the far right.   Quite a few settings there that make things easier but don't entirely ruin the experience.   

Mostly they help get over the handicap of not having a high end interface setup.

O0

Tuna

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 16, 2019, 06:28:18 PM
Remind me again, if I purchase on steam or at the official store, is the content accessible on steam and also their client?  Or is it tied to the source you buy it from?

If you buy on Steam, it won't show up outside. So if your IL2 you bought from their store. and you run it outside of Steam, expansions you bought on Steam will not show up.

Everything inside or outside will be available running it in Steam.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tuna on October 16, 2019, 07:00:16 PM

If you buy on Steam, it won't show up outside. So if your IL2 you bought from their store. and you run it outside of Steam, expansions you bought on Steam will not show up.

Thanks....think everything I have purchased so far has been on Steam including the base game, so guess best to order anything else from there.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 16, 2019, 07:06:18 PM
Quote from: Tuna on October 16, 2019, 07:00:16 PM

Thanks....think everything I have purchased so far has been on Steam including the base game, so guess best to order anything else from there.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/37142-heads-up-changes-coming-to-il-2-steam-integration/

If you are an existing Steam user and have already purchased content from our website you will not be able to use that content with your Steam version unless you link the accounts. Again, it's a one time thing and takes just a few seconds.

W8taminute

Wow I go away from the internet for one day and miss out on all this fun.  Great to see a revival in interest for this game.  I'd love to fly with you guys if you do setup a flight night. 

Tuna, JP, and I had a lot of fun when we flew together way back when.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Dammit Carl!

Tuna

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 17, 2019, 07:53:59 AM
I'm down for a gunner position! 

You can help JP navigate home. Been there, down that!