Consolidated Heroes of Stalingrad thread

Started by Barthheart, January 21, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

Damn you all. I want this game in the worst way now.

Not really wanting to shell out $40 to Matrix, though. And waiting for a Matrix sale on this will be like waiting to see what I get reincarnated as in the afterlife. I might have a bullet to bite, here.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Barthheart on February 20, 2014, 01:26:51 PM
Quote from: Marty Ward on February 20, 2014, 01:18:31 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 20, 2014, 08:24:34 AM
Single player scenarios can be played multiplayer. There is nothing stopping you from doing that. They might be unbalanced for one side or the other but you can play them MP.

Also MP scenarios can be played solo. Jus that in some of them both sides need to purchase and place units and the AI won't do that. So you could end up on a battlefield all alone.... and that would be sad...  :P

Can you turn on the AI after buying and deploying units?

I think you are asking if you could start as a MP game then switch to a solo game? The answer is no.

That's what I was asking. Thanks.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

KyzBP

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 20, 2014, 01:31:00 PM
Damn you all. I want this game in the worst way now.

Not really wanting to shell out $40 to Matrix, though. And waiting for a Matrix sale on this will be like waiting to see what I get reincarnated as in the afterlife. I might have a bullet to bite, here.

This is a solid game BC.  Well worth the $40.

jomni

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on February 17, 2014, 07:22:08 PM
So got around to playing two games of "Sunday Drive" convoy scenario as the Germans.  I lost the first game on the the second turn by which time four admittedly lucky shots had aced my halftrack and three trucks.  I won the second game, but have discoved a slight problem:  replayability.  Once you play a scenario from either side, you sort of "remember" certain things (ie: location of landmines in a road hex, the row of houses where Russians troops spawn as reinforcements).  Which means if I ever play that scenario again, I'll probably always take "the low road" increasing my chances of winning.  Perhaps some kind of "random reinforcement area" feature needs to be includd.

Same impression when I was beta testing this. It is more like a puzzle. But a lot of rule-based games are like this once you learn the moves with the most odds in your favor.

Jack Nastyface

Just found a minor annoyance in "Sunday Drive" scenario.
Scenario conditions state that Soviet Union wins if 50% of vehicles are destroyed.  Last game, on Turn 1, I lost the single truck that is on the board...which resulted in an immediate loss for me.  I guess the game is calculating "50% of active vehicles, not including re-inforcements which show up on later turns".  On another game, I had two trucks get a "shaken" result but the crews bailed out.  Although I had a squad with MG and my Halftrack available to provide protective firepower, I immediately lost the game and had no chance to have the crews "remount" the trucks if they rallied.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Jack Nastyface

I also note:  Playing this game "electronically" is actually helping me better visual the flow of certain aspects of the boardgame, which is great.  However, I am still somewhat puzzled by melee actions, and especially by the language the game uses to descibe melee results.   It feels like when you are in a melee you are rolling to see if your side gets killed, not damage inflicted on the enemy.  I guess I am going to have to replay the tutorials a few times.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

JudgeDredd

I always saw the melee combat  as the first Ross being against the opposition andthen your roll.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Barthheart

In melee you roll to do damage to the other guy.
If you move in then you roll first.
If the enemy moves in then they roll first to damage you.
If you both start in the hex, then whom ever chooses the melee action first rolls first.

Barthheart

Yes that does sound like a bug for the single truck on map getting killed and ending the scenario.

Your second case is a proper loss as you cannot re-enter abandoned vehicles.

Tosh

I had the same problem. 
I posted about it over at Matrix, but because of my poor descrption, it wasn´t noticed.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3551138

Barthheart


bob48

Casualties being removed after both side roll. Melee can be pretty bloody. On a few occasions I've had both sides wipe each other out.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Jack Nastyface

^Agreed...just had a Soviet hero take on a single german unit.  Everyone dead.
What difficulty level is everyone playing at?  Obviously NOT introductory...but is Normal normal, or should I be playing hard?
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

JudgeDredd

I'm playing introductory just now...just until I get my rules understood.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Barthheart

Hard is equivalent to the board game.