Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 09, 2015, 04:10:39 PM
I'm not going to get there...obviously. Main fuel tank is drained.

Self destruct coming up.

:-\

This isn't encouraging me to start. 

Feel like I gotta study up on the fine details of doing jobs and travel in Elite before I ever begin the game.  To avoid the pitfalls.

JudgeDredd

lol - brilliant...sympathy!  :P

I'm just sounding off JH thanks. It was my own fault for not checking the route out.

I'm flying by the seat of my pants and paying for it.

I did pick up a Black Box previously for 12000cr  :P
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on January 09, 2015, 05:12:57 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 09, 2015, 04:10:39 PM
I'm not going to get there...obviously. Main fuel tank is drained.

Self destruct coming up.

:-\

This isn't encouraging me to start. 

Feel like I gotta study up on the fine details of doing jobs and travel in Elite before I ever begin the game.  To avoid the pitfalls.
Just think before you leap. Don't fly about aimlessly like me - it'll cost ye.

There's money to be had out there...but not if you're winging it  ;D
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

On your galaxy map check the system data for each system you're going through, it will show you the stations if present and if you haven't been there or it's not up to date the worst it will cost you is 100 for each systems report

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 09, 2015, 05:27:25 PM
On your galaxy map check the system data for each system you're going through, it will show you the stations if present and if you haven't been there or it's not up to date the worst it will cost you is 100 for each systems report

This is the kind of stuff that should be present in the UI. 

I would hope they have some map filter that can show you where the inter-planetary gas stations are without having to dig through each one separately.  It's not like you're going down the road to granny's house! 

Space is very cold.. when you run out of gas!   :P

undercovergeek

Invariably if the system has market info then you can be assured it's got a station

I've very rarely come across a system with no stations whatsoever..... Unless JD is out in unexplored space with no info available

The easiest thing to would be to go to the Galaxy map, change it to economy view and if you get just an uncoloured globe for market type..... No one lives there, the devs have given you the tools just not the instruction manual

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on January 09, 2015, 05:31:27 PM

I would hope they have some map filter that can show you where the inter-planetary gas stations are without having to dig through each one separately.  It's not like you're going down the road to granny's house! 

The galaxy and system maps are brilliant and more than capable of assisting travelers in safely navigating space. Players just have to use their brains and pay attention.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2015, 07:27:49 PM
Players just have to use their brains and pay attention.

the man wears kilts.  :idiot2:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2015, 07:27:49 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 09, 2015, 05:31:27 PM

The galaxy and system maps are brilliant and more than capable of assisting travelers in safely navigating space. Players just have to use their brains and pay attention.
I won't argue with you - not because you scare me 'cos I'm the Judge - but 'cos you're spot on.  ;D
Alba gu' brath

jomni

I'm now carrying a potential 13k bounty.  My biggest earnings yet.  Now have to go back to a Federal base to realize it.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 09, 2015, 03:59:58 PM
Let me tell you how shite I am at this game

I took a mission to take veg to a system...3 ton of veg for 2100cr. That's freakin all. I am now 7.33Ly away with no fuel to hyper jump...so I'm super crusing - I don't even know if I'm going to EVER get there super cruising...but it's all I have. The system I just left had no stations for fuel and I don't think the one before that did either...so I am lost in space - literally - for 2100cr.

So whilst I'll likely fail the mission because I've got no fuel, I'll get fined 700cr for that...and lose 1500cr on insurance...meaning yet another loss of 2200cr...more than the bloody mission was even worth!

That is how bad I am at this game. For some reason, as JH so eloquently put it, I'm swimming upstream...and the really annoying thing is - I'm trying desperately not to! How the f*ck was I meant to know in 3 systems I wouldn't find anywhere to refuel and therefore be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Are these "empty" systems everywhere - because I certainly find my fair share of them.

And before anyone suggests it - no I don't have a fuel scoop because I couldn't work out what essential system I would have to drop in order to have one!

The best most infuriating game I've ever owned.

Just blowing off steam...carry on.

Oh - and my ship is at 27% integrity because for some reason I failed to understand how to fly away from the star...several times.  :uglystupid2:
I should probably be clear for anyone just looking in the thread

I'm sounding off...moaning...bitching...whatever you want to call it. But it's really not the game at fault.

It could do some things to help you - things that aren't there...but essentially my woes are down to my playing method - which, currently, doesn't really exist as a viable method.

For an example of "my fault" and "where the game could help"... - the above situation...

• Where the game could've helped...
    The game "could've" helped by not allowing me to accept the mission, knowing full well I wouldn't be able to jump to the system in question with the load expected. But it didn't - it let me take it...if the cargo load is 5 tons and you have 4ton cargo hold, it won't let you take the job...so perhaps it shouldn't let you take the run if you can't make the jump with the load (maybe it does and I could've made the jump had I refuelled a few systems before
  • Where it was my fault
    When I went to Galaxy map, had I read the map correctly, I would've seen the problem with the last jump...also
    Looking at the galaxy map, there were a few systems in between, most of which I had no data for - I should've bought the data to know where the refuel points were - having said that, I wouldn't have been able to make the jump anyway at the end and secondly, the systems before and after I found myself stuck didn't have refuelling stations anyway....also
    Flying too close to a star was what took my hull integrity down...just not paying attention
So ultimately it is my fault...though a bit more help might have seen me in a better position.

Anyway - my woes are absolutely 95% my doing - I don't want anyone being put off from buying into the single best space flight sim ever put out there. Take it slow and pay attention and you'll be good to go.

For the record though, I still cannot get a grip of the galaxy map. When I was looking for the system I had to deliver to, I found it...but I had no idea where I was prior...and zooming out just made the destination obscured (if not disappeared) and I still couldn't see where I was. It took me about 20 odd minutes in the galaxy map to orientate it so I could see where I was and where the destination was and know how to get there. I'm really not doing well with the galaxy map at all...I find it really disorientating. I'm not sure they could do anything to help that...
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've installed Philips Hue lights in my PC room and I have been tinkering with getting the lights to sync with the game.  I set up the default as a sort of red combat lighting look and I used this guy's program to feed the on-screen data from my webcam to the lights and have them match what's going on in-game.

https://github.com/revdancatt/CAT832-webcamtest-lights

It's pretty cool.  I was hoping that I could get sudden bright blue-white flashes when I got hit but I haven't been able to pull that off as the response times between the camera and the lights are just too long to allow for it but when I'm docked in a station or near a sun or a planet, it works great and lights up the room in a way that makes me squeal with nerd glee.

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with the Lakon Type 6. It flies like a pregnant cow and it really hasn't helped me get the kind of profit I was hoping it would yet. Granted, I haven't really tried any heavy trading with it yet. I'll give it a good chance before I go back to something smaller and deadlier.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 10, 2015, 11:34:42 AM
I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with the Lakon Type 6. It flies like a pregnant cow and it really hasn't helped me get the kind of profit I was hoping it would yet. Granted, I haven't really tried any heavy trading with it yet. I'll give it a good chance before I go back to something smaller and deadlier.

Seriously? This was my next goal

Btw did you see the fer de lance in the newsletter?