Has anyone seen this yet?
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/16/holy-ships-battlefleet-gothic-armada-announced/
This is a first day purchase for me.
Just did.
Not in any way nuts about them making it an RTS, but I loved Blood Bowl so FOCUS knows the product. If done right, this could be 31 flavors of awesome...
Best,
Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
OMG! I just ejaculated in my pants. :crazy2:
Careful with that JH. you might knock someone up.
Well this turned horrible quickly...
Let's refocus.
This has the potential to be quite loin moistening.
There that's better.
Excellent.
The game dev news - not the moist loins.
:)
Anyone see a release date anywhere? I see that it's in development, but not much else.
Hoping for the best. This could be awesome. Yeah, an RTS isn't the preferred genre, but it doesn't absolutely mean the kiss of death.
Quote from: LongBlade on January 16, 2015, 10:57:39 AM
Hoping for the best. This could be awesome. Yeah, an RTS isn't the preferred genre, but it doesn't absolutely mean the kiss of death.
Yes. Anyone remember Homeworld? It was EPIC...still is. And yes, it was an RTS.
Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2015, 10:44:44 AM
Anyone see a release date anywhere? I see that it's in development, but not much else.
Nobody wants to hear about your moist loins and an impending release.
I could have sworn there was a BF Gothic mod for one of the HW games.
Mordheim, Warhammer Quest, Warmachine Tactics (though not Warhammer), Warhammer Total War(hammer) and now this...
Is there an actual God that listens to what I ask??? :2funny:
No. We only get miracles when under siege brother. ;)
Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2015, 10:44:44 AM
Anyone see a release date anywhere? I see that it's in development, but not much else.
Obviously it must be sometime in 2016 because I'm not buying any new games this year. Sorry.
That must be amended. Soon.
So, you're proposing some kind of seduction ritual (involving games) in order to bring this game to fruition more quickly? :coolsmiley:
Last yime Gus got seductive half the wg forum had crabs.
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 16, 2015, 04:43:29 PM
Last yime Gus got seductive half the wg forum had crabs.
Dammit, we can do better! This time let's see if we can get the entire WG forum to have crabs! We're talking Battlefleet Gothic here, and that demands a sacrifice!
Just not any of us.
Quote from: panzerde on January 16, 2015, 06:15:38 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 16, 2015, 04:43:29 PM
Last yime Gus got seductive half the wg forum had crabs.
Dammit, we can do better! This time let's see if we can get the entire WG forum to have crabs! We're talking Battlefleet Gothic here, and that demands a sacrifice!
Just not any of us.
He can always pay them another visit.
Quote from: LongBlade on January 16, 2015, 06:25:13 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 16, 2015, 06:15:38 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 16, 2015, 04:43:29 PM
Last yime Gus got seductive half the wg forum had crabs.
Dammit, we can do better! This time let's see if we can get the entire WG forum to have crabs! We're talking Battlefleet Gothic here, and that demands a sacrifice!
Just not any of us.
He can always pay them another visit.
I thought he was out of chloroform and surgical gloves at the moment.
The only crabs I've had recently are blue soft shells.
damn man, you're gonna need a lot of nix.
Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2015, 07:46:25 PM
The only crabs I've had recently are blue soft shells.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1081.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj349%2Flongblade%2FGrogHeads%2FinigoPHRASE_zpsf29f43ae.jpg&hash=7bc9554871a8ec215f00e4de0b38a791c71b102d)
do you know what you get as a hobbit with crabs?
crabs with orcs on them.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi591.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss360%2Fthantsants%2FBog%2520Gobs%2F100_1017.jpg&hash=91cf217d0da9329be166532654a6b3e9065e8b31)
With that image I think we have reached the end of the internet.
no my boy.
theres far worse things.
sigh. FINE! Just to keep us from breaking the internet with this terrible, terrible rabbit hole (and associated metaphors thereof), and to bring Battlefleet Gothic into existence this year, I will buy Warlock 2 and (most of) its DLC while it's 75% off.
There. ARE WE HAPPY NOW? ARE WE SATISFIED?!
(...no, because Battlefleet Gothic isn't out yet. :buck2: But it comes now. It comes. :smitten: )
^ We are all thankful for your sacrifice. You held out for what, about two weeks? :)
I am proud of you, Jason.
More than two weeks but not a month I'm sure. I'm fuzzy about whether I bought anything after Christmas.
Quote from: panzerde on January 17, 2015, 11:39:48 AM
^ We are all thankful for your sacrifice. You held out for what, about two weeks? :)
He's a resilient one.
I don't even bother making resolutions anymore. Actually, I don't recall ever attempting it. :buck2:
I still ain't bought a game since early December. :crazy2:
Quote from: Nefaro on January 17, 2015, 08:32:12 PM
He's a resilient one.
I don't even bother making resolutions anymore. Actually, I don't recall ever attempting it. :buck2:
I'm right there with you. I think I was probably actively buying a game while reading his post about not buying any games this year. I am completely bereft of willpower.
More details from RPS:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/21/first-look-battlefleet-gothic-armada/ (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/21/first-look-battlefleet-gothic-armada/)
Hopefully the combat won't involve much micromanagement. I'm pretty excited about the campaign.
Quote from: donkey_roxor on January 21, 2015, 03:47:01 PM
More details from RPS:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/21/first-look-battlefleet-gothic-armada/ (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/21/first-look-battlefleet-gothic-armada/)
Hopefully the combat won't involve much micromanagement. I'm pretty excited about the campaign.
I saw the words "campaign map". That makes me cautiously hopeful.
Angry Joe just did an inter(pre)view:
Quote from: Nefaro on June 24, 2015, 05:23:40 PM
Angry Joe just did an inter(pre)view:
Oh Hell. Me want.
I still have my Ork and Chaos fleets. I'll sell them one of these days.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi163.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ft281%2FTardwarf%2FBattleship.jpg&hash=d95baee7667a0407e5d63c5a723aa43dcc61aa3f) (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/Tardwarf/media/Battleship.jpg.html)
^Why did you name that ship after Star's bathroom?
GIGGITY!!!
Also - if I were to design what the designer of the Battlefleet Gothic PC game were to look like...he would look and sound exactly like that dude that Joe interviewed.
Looks fantastic...
^Your avatar comes in handy for this.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 24, 2015, 07:52:37 PM
Looks fantastic...
If you're talking about my mini, thanks! I think...
Quote from: Ubercat on June 24, 2015, 09:16:01 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 24, 2015, 07:52:37 PM
Looks fantastic...
If you're talking about my mini, thanks! I think...
Sorry uber...I meant the game. But your mini is nice too.
You're sweet. :smitten:
My sacrifice still appears to be working. Just in case, I bought quite a few things during the Steam summer sale, too.
IT COMES! It coommmess....
It looks very much like they're getting this one right. I'm changing my shorts right now.
Man, if they could just take this approach with the 40k main game in PC form, ala Chaos Gate.
I haven't been following this one, but it sure looks sweet. New trailer:
SCHWING...beginning of 2016??? That's two weeks, technically...
Quote from: Gusington on December 16, 2015, 05:41:08 PM
SCHWING...beginning of 2016??? That's two weeks, technically...
Wonder if it's gonna be an Early Access thing.
And replayability... ??
I don't care if the campaign is as linear as DoW2 (and sequels). Replayability is in the eye of the beholder or words to that effect.
I am hoping it doesn't get released 'early access.'
Alas there are no dwarfs in space
Quote from: Gusington on December 16, 2015, 05:41:08 PM
SCHWING...beginning of 2016??? That's two weeks, technically...
Guess what else is early '16
I'm staying cautiously optimistic about Deserts of Kharak. There has been very little hype for a game that should be a major eagerly anticipated return to a favored universe. Additionally, one of the things that made Homeworld so unique was the space combat that incorporated movement in the Z-axis. Sure the aesthetic was very cool, but it was the gameplay in which the game really excelled. The new game takes place entirely on planet...it seems like it will be more of a traditional RTS wrapped up in Homeworld's cool skin. It will most likely be a good game, but won't be as ground breaking as e original titles.
Correction: there are no dwarfs in space, yet.
Impressive.
There could be plenty of stunties working on those Imperium fleet ships. O0
Total Homeworld Annihilation, hm?
I had wondered if the remastered collection was being released to help drum up money for another project.
Quote from: IronX on December 16, 2015, 05:35:25 PM
I haven't been following this one, but it sure looks sweet. New trailer:
Giggity! Loins moistening in 3, 2, 1...
^Jesus...do you and Gusington share a brain?
Pretty much, yeah. About the only area in which we differ is that he has more of a preference for breasts, whereas I go for the derriere. 8)
^I can change my stance on that with the right derriere present.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi227.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd56%2Fcutiep2ty91686%2Ffamilyguy.gif&hash=20d21f05b3ca076b3f863e596149b09abbcaea8f)
Quote from: undercovergeek on December 17, 2015, 03:06:26 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 16, 2015, 05:41:08 PM
SCHWING...beginning of 2016??? That's two weeks, technically...
Guess what else is early '16
Was this game originally titled 'Shipbreakers' or something similar?
^Yes.
We .. must.. havez.. it..
The customization stuff looks pretty damn cool. But then I saw the slow-mo gameplay late in the vid.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hazelnet.org%2Ficon%2Femote%2Fhappy%2Fluv.gif&hash=a747b1c7a6dd675c1f32a86a32776dc066b3a713)
Good mix of awesome. :coolsmiley: :smiley6600: I hope it's not too buggy out the gate.
42 minutes!! Must watch tomorrow...
I can bide my time, like the Eldar, whose fleet I shall be swearing allegiance to. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
MP BETA starts on Thursday.
We will, indeed, purge the heretics.
And the naff Eldar for that matter...
Want
Looks great, wish I knew about the lore. Any suggestions on a good way to learn about that?
Wish there was a Star Trek or Honor Harrington game like this.
Quote from: RedArgo on March 07, 2016, 10:41:53 PM
Looks great, wish I knew about the lore. Any suggestions on a good way to learn about that?
Wish there was a Star Trek or Honor Harrington game like this.
The Black Library is one way to pick up the lore: http://www.blacklibrary.com/
Another is to grab the Dawn of War games from Steam. They don't cover everything, but aren't a bad introduction. You'll get enough to understand who the factions are.
But yes, an Honor Harrington game like this would be phenomenal.
Quote from: panzerde on March 07, 2016, 10:51:16 PM
But yes, an Honor Harrington game like this would be phenomenal.
Oh hell yes!
I'd kill for a computer version of Saganami Island
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17022/saganami-island-tactical-simulator
Quote from: panzerde on March 07, 2016, 10:51:16 PM
Quote from: RedArgo on March 07, 2016, 10:41:53 PM
Looks great, wish I knew about the lore. Any suggestions on a good way to learn about that?
Wish there was a Star Trek or Honor Harrington game like this.
The Black Library is one way to pick up the lore: http://www.blacklibrary.com/
Another is to grab the Dawn of War games from Steam. They don't cover everything, but aren't a bad introduction. You'll get enough to understand who the factions are.
But yes, an Honor Harrington game like this would be phenomenal.
Lots of WarHammer40K (WH40K) fans here, but as someone who's only dabbled in it, I'd recommend:
- Gaunt's Ghosts: The Founding if you like more mundane heroes dealing with lots of bad shit going on around 'em.
- Eisenhorn: If you're more into super-natural stuff and heroes who are half bad-ass, half sci-fi warlocks.
- The Blood Angels: Omnibus if you like big ole marines in battle-armor who would rather smash an enemies head with their bare fists and drink the blood pulsing from his throat than just gun him down. Those are the good guys, mind you.
It's hard to go wrong with any of them. But I warn you: They're really dark. Really. Dark.
The issue of 40k reading and lore comes up from time to time, I'm sure if you dig you'll find several threads. I always recommend the Eisenhorn and Inquisition War trilogies as the best titles to bring people up to speed on the state of the universe, the competition between all of the factions, the politics and the various threats to humanity, both without and within. They also happen to contain some of the best writing out there for 40k story telling.
i was never an Eldar fan, but theres a scene in Eisenhorn where he meets up with a leader of some faction or other and theres an Eldar at the meeting, the way hes described as just this huge, silent presence that scares the crap out of him made me wish id got more into Eldar
From the Black Library I picked up the Gothic War double-book years ago, before this flood of WH and WH40k games. That's what I will be reading while playing Battlefleet Gothic. Finally!
There are some good (and massive) lore videos on YT, including the "For the Uninitiated" (or "The Vault of Terra") series (although that's reaaaaly extensive and long.)
The teams can be described pretty quickly, but that doesn't really start getting into the lore.
For a relatively quick summary of where the lore is at, see the attached doc file. Keep in mind that Games Workshop likes to foster a fuzzy history canon as part of the milieu -- this being the dark age of final dissolution with much knowledge lost never to be regained etc. -- which also allows easy retconning and outright canon revision over the years. Consequently, any lore explanation comes with a certain amount of head-canon to fill in blanks or to make sense of different statuses of canon in the development of the game story over the years. The doc is based on some research I did among relatively recent attempts at pulling together canon, but don't take it as gospel. ;)
A non-loreish breakdown of the ten generally distinct categories of team or factions would be:
1.) The Astartes, aka the Space Marines. Butt-kicking genetically modified and (usually) heavily armored supersoldiers, religiously devoted to (and religiously powered by) the Emperor. Space paladins, but xenophobic and often brutally haughty. There are a number of surviving chapters who have somewhat different specialties, like the Blood Angels, the Dark Angels, the Space Wolves, the Ultramarines, the Salamanders, and others. The majority of players mess with these, and their rules often form the backbone for gameplay, with other teams being variations.
2.) The Sisters of Battle. A fairly new human team, modeled on the Space Marines, but mostly female and not genetically modified. Space battle nuns, even more zealously devout to the Emperor than most Space Marines. They like fire a lot. Probably the least numerical team.
3.) The Imperial Army. The basic rank and file human team, mostly just plain human men and women (mostly men) with perhaps some mechanical upgrades. They like tanks, artillery, mechanical Titans, air power, naval (space) power. Vastly, vassstly outnumber the Marines and the Sisters, but aren't usually elite troops. The standard image of the Imperials are a squad of human soldiers with puny little las rifles trying to survive in a world of demons, monsters, aliens, and supermen.
Obviously, these three teams are supposed to be working together, but in practice the situation allows players to find ways for fighting human vs human teams.
4.) Chaos Space Marines. Demonic space knights. Kit is pretty similar to normal Marines, but they have distinctive demonic allies and abilities. Chaos makes them perhaps more fragile than normal Marines, if sometimes also stronger. This team threatens the whole universe with destruction.
5.) The Eldar. Space elves. Numerically very minor. They try to avoid battle except when they absolutely have to; and when they do fight, they try to make sure they totally win without losses. A stealthy, and very shooty long-distance team even by 40K standards, but they have elite melee troops, too. Main drawback is they're fragile.
6.) Dark Eldar. Least numerous team (until the Sisters were developed). Like the Eldar but with demonic connections.
7.) The Tau. Space dwarves, if the dwarves were tall skinny hairless shooty elven creatures (kind of a genre joke). More prosaic high tech than the Eldar, but otherwise the highest tech team. Also very shooty, because like the Eldar they're fragile; but unlike the Eldar, they go in big for exosuits and mecha armor on all their troops. Also unlike the Eldar, they don't manipulate other races into fighting, but legitimately team up instead ("For the Greater Good"), so they have a strong subteam called the Kroot who are kick-ass primal melee fighters.
8.) The Tyrannids. Essentially the xenomorphs from the Aliens films (and subsequently the inspiration for Starcraft's Brood.) They actually have near-human wizards and vampires, but those are more for plot purposes than fighting purposes. These threaten the galaxy, and in that sense the universe at large eventually, but they do live in peace with each other (usually) so if they won chaos would be defeated.
9.) The Necron. Space undead, whose basic bog-standard troops are heavy infantry based on the Terminator endoskeleton designs. (James Cameron is a big influence on this game in several ways.) Have an Egyptian theme. Tough and hard to stop, but numerically average and tend to be a bit sloggy, so they're usually easy to outmaneuver.
10.) The Orks. Space orcs. Duh. A threat to the galaxy, and in that sense the universe at large eventually. Chaos would probably win a different way if they win, because they fight each other as much as against anyone else, so there would be no peace. They tend to be the comic relief of 40K.
The Gothic Fleet game will have Imps, Orks, Eldar, and Chaos Marines, plus a fifth Space Marine fleet option to come as DLC soon (which early buyers get for free). I don't know which chapter of Marine will be used, but at the fleet level they'll play about the same anyway.
For another relatively brief introduction to the lore, this time from the perspective of story tropes, TVTropes.org (as usual) has a great page.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Warhammer40000
The game reviewer TotalBiscuit (aka the Cynical Brit), summarized the origin of the human side of 40K's situation in about a minute 30 seconds. It's both accurate and kind of hilarious.
As this video downplays the key role played by Sanguinius aboard Horus' battlebarge, I dismiss it...
Wait...
Dear God...what have I forgotten that I might remember this...
Great, thanks for the info guys. I'll start looking through it. I think these kinds of games are more enjoyable when you can apply the lore instead of just the purple ships attacking the green guys.
Quote from: RedArgo on March 08, 2016, 02:43:54 PM
Great, thanks for the info guys. I'll start looking through it. I think these kinds of games are more enjoyable when you can apply the lore instead of just the purple ships attacking the green guys.
If they are purple, they are traitors. If they are green, they are orks. Either way, they are heretics and must all be cleansed with the purity only the flame can bring.
Quote from: Cyrano on March 08, 2016, 02:26:23 PM
As this video downplays the key role played by Sanguinius aboard Horus' battlebarge, I dismiss it...
Wait...
Dear God...what have I forgotten that I might remember this...
Check to see if you remembered pants this morning.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2016, 02:46:48 PM
Quote from: RedArgo on March 08, 2016, 02:43:54 PM
Great, thanks for the info guys. I'll start looking through it. I think these kinds of games are more enjoyable when you can apply the lore instead of just the purple ships attacking the green guys.
If they are purple, they are traitors. If they are green, they are orks. Either way, they are heretics and must all be cleansed with the purity only the flame can bring.
If you can't see them, they are Eldar, and you've probably already lost. But you're welcome to try anyway. Since they'll be expecting you to. >:D
Crap...I didn't remember pants.
Indignitus, the trouserless space marine, shame of his homeworld...
Or...am I the pride of my Homeworld, for the same reason?
You could be the start of an entire new faction, The Pantless.
You could have your own holy doctrine, the Codex Sine Aliqua.
Quote from: Cyrano on March 08, 2016, 04:18:11 PM
Indignitus, the trouserless space marine, shame of his homeworld...
:2funny:
I think there might be a whole chapter of the Adeptus Astartes lurking in that image somewhere...
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 08, 2016, 05:34:45 AM
i was never an Eldar fan, but theres a scene in Eisenhorn where he meets up with a leader of some faction or other and theres an Eldar at the meeting, the way hes described as just this huge, silent presence that scares the crap out of him made me wish id got more into Eldar
IIRC, that was a meeting between Eisenhorn and Ravenor, no?
Were they both wearing pants?
Quote from: Staggerwing on March 08, 2016, 07:58:43 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 08, 2016, 05:34:45 AM
i was never an Eldar fan, but theres a scene in Eisenhorn where he meets up with a leader of some faction or other and theres an Eldar at the meeting, the way hes described as just this huge, silent presence that scares the crap out of him made me wish id got more into Eldar
IIRC, that was a meeting between Eisenhorn and Ravenor, no?
I thought that was in one of the earlier Eisenhorn books.
I still haven't read Eisenhorn vs. Ravenor though. I own it, just can't bring myself to read it. It's like it doesn't happen if I don't open the first page.
As a general rule Eldar = sans pantalones...
^HA!
Eldar in Florida: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=14848.msg432142#msg432142
So is anyone playing the MP beta?
Any impressions so far?
(I'm looking at you JH)
Quote from: Staggerwing on March 08, 2016, 07:58:43 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 08, 2016, 05:34:45 AM
i was never an Eldar fan, but theres a scene in Eisenhorn where he meets up with a leader of some faction or other and theres an Eldar at the meeting, the way hes described as just this huge, silent presence that scares the crap out of him made me wish id got more into Eldar
IIRC, that was a meeting between Eisenhorn and Ravenor, no?
I'm pretty sure that was in the 3rd Eisenhorn book, and the Eldar were working in conjuction with Ravenor.
I'd add that, by that point in the series, Ravenor hadn't worn any pants for years. Ever since the accident...
Quote from: Tpek on March 10, 2016, 11:40:10 AM
So is anyone playing the MP beta?
Any impressions so far?
(I'm looking at you JH)
The beta does not go live until sometime this evening.
If I understand the announcement correctly, the beta will also include the prologue mission to the campaign, as well as OFFLINE skirmishing against the AI (whoooohoooo!!!)
Really looking forward to this!
steam page says march release - is that still right?
If the beta releases in March, then that's still right -- I guess. ;)
If the beta shows up bugs (non-Nid variety) to be squashed, I'd rather they wait to July.
Tonight the Sword of the Emperor sails into the Void.
TREMBLE HERETICS!
The might of the Sine Alique Legion will be unleashed and it will be terrible to behold.
Tonight, the Spirit of Obliquity sails out of the Void.
If you behold it, they've done something wrong, but it's probably still too late. >:D
Quote from: Cyrano on March 10, 2016, 01:23:42 PM
Tonight the Sword of the Emperor sails into the Void.
TREMBLE HERETICS!
The might of the Sine Alique Legion will be unleashed and it will be terrible to behold.
will there be underwear?
+++++Transmission Begin+++++
Stellar Code-98475023-Transmission Sector Nullifcarnum-Secure Classification-36449257
Beta is LIVE biatches!!!!
LONG LIVE THE EMPEROR
+++++Transmission End+++++
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 10, 2016, 03:09:02 PM
+++++Transmission Begin+++++
Stellar Code-98475023-Transmission Sector Nullifcarnum-Secure Classification-36449257
Beta is LIVE biatches!!!!
LONG LIVE THE EMPEROR
+++++Transmission End+++++
Eagerly awaiting your impressions.
Were there underwear, what would be terrible to behold?
I'll start by saying the atmosphere is great. It totally oozes WH40K. I like the strategic options which include moving your fleet from planet to planet in the Gothic sector and upgrading and modifying your ships at the Port of Maw. Everything from defenses, to weapons, to engines to crews can be improved and/or buffed, so they have done a good job letting the player tinker with the ships in the fleet.
I'm sort of on the fence with combat though. So far it doesn't seem terribly interesting. I've only played 3 of the campaign prologue missions, but so far there does not appear to be any movement in the z-axis. This looks like yet another space combat game stuck on a 2D plane. Additionally, most fights seem to end up just being turning fights. The AI seems to just travel in circles around your ships unloading as much firepower as possible. They turn into essentially slugfests. This is ok initially, but I can see it getting old. Even though weapons are positional (ie. forward facing lance weapons and broadside cannons) it doesn't really seem to make much of a difference how you end up positioning your vessels. They've done a commendable job by adding options that would seem to increase the tactical opportunities, such as boarding parties, teleportation deck strikes, emergency power for evasive maneuvers, and the ability to target select ship components, etc., but so far none of this seems to have made much of a difference to the outcome.
For WH40K fans, I'd say its a no brainer, but for everyone else, you might want to wait and see. More impressions will follow.
Nice job with the first impressions, JH O0
Through the intro campaign and after a couple skirmishes:
1. JH is spot on re: theme. This one nails the 40K universe and particularly the background to BG better than most I can recall. Voice acting is quite good and I like what I've seen of the "story so far". Transformation of your captain into an admiral -- entirely in cut scene -- is nicely horrific.
2. 2D combat -- I think they were trying to get the TTG feel into the game and that was 2D. It certainly costs on other fronts but, as was the case on the tabletop, it certainly simplifies mechanics.
3. RTS -- OK, here's where much more play will be needed. Me, because I'm of the generation that prefers such things, I would have much rather this be a TBS. I realize that's unlikely, but I certainly would have rather. Not getting this, I would have preferred a game paced a smidge more slowly than BG is. Don't get me wrong, it's not a frenzied click-fest, but, when you've got a lot going on -- and multiple ships to try and command -- you will reach for the space-bar slow-down that's available in single player but not on-line. I think there is some fun stuff going on under the hood with forward-lasers versus broadside weapons and the like, but it could prove hard to get at at current speeds.
4. I want to see the rest of the content. Only Imperial and Chaos ships are playable in the BETA, although the look at the Orks in one of the early scenarios is delightful. They've certainly also left open the door for DLC -- even some ships and factions that GW never quite got around to finishing when it shuttered BG. As JH indicates, there looks to be a lot of opportunity for customization, but, going to #3 above, I hope it won't prove irrelevant at the pace of battle.
It's a BETA so, as they warn you on the tin, everything's subject to change and I assume the changes will be many. That said, I like it and I have no regrets on buying in early...
To JH's first impressions I would only add that you can operate outside the Gothic sector -- the third mission (against Ork pirates) is in... frankly I didn't recognize it, sorry not lore'd enough. The next sector outward from the core. The Eye of Terror naturally is nearby and will probably factor in as an operational sector, too.
The campaign game, so far as the prologue goes, is entirely Imperial Navy. This doesn't bother me, but there are fans pro and con, so...
I haven't tried multiplayer yet, so no comments there.
The interface, and frankly the action, heavily reminds me of Dawn of War 2. I don't think the game can be paused to issue orders, however. The game can be drastically slowed down at any time by tapping the space bar, and this certainly helps. I felt rather overwhelmed by the Ork swarm in mission 3, and indeed tried to quit and reload for a different initial plan (I had honestly forgotten my plan, which was to move the convoy through some handy gas clouds near the map edge.) Whereupon I discovered that in the beta, the campaign does not save. :tickedoff:
Very much early Starfleet Command (without pause to order capabilities) -- agreement?
Yep, SFC from that perspective, but...
MP, so far, has been spectacular. Hooomans are MUCH sneakier and sharper than the A.I. To the shock of no one. Battles run less than ten minutes, but the turning battles JH describe vanish into a cut-and-thrust, especially as you begin to upgrade and get some of the special weapons. One plasma bomb can ruin your whole day, particularly if you're going in for a serious attack run.
It also bear mention that the ships you're allowed to use in the BETA campaign and on-line, at least so far, are on the small end of the spectrum.
Made it through the campaign missions so far and have to agree with the initial impressions. Really finding it a lot of fun and feels suitably WH40K. A bit faster than I care for these days and I would agree with Jim's desire to have it turn based.
Still, it's very atmospheric and does have a tabletop feel. The ships and effects are really nice. Haven't tried MP yet, but I will soon. Maybe after a couple of skirmishes to learn the ropes a bit more.
id read theres no z axis - to recreate the table top feel
I'm conflicted about that explanation for no z-axis. If they had said, "no z-axis because no human being could manage the fleets in this game with a z-axis," I'd one hundred percent agree with that rationale.
Saying, in effect, "no z-axis because we're trying to recreate a tabletop feel for this real-time clickfest"... :idiot2: That leads me to conclude it was just simpler not to program a z-axis.
If I wanted a tabletop feel, I'd play the tabletop game.
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 11, 2016, 09:47:30 AM
I'm conflicted about that explanation for no z-axis. If they had said, "no z-axis because no human being could manage the fleets in this game with a z-axis," I'd one hundred percent agree with that rationale.
Saying, in effect, "no z-axis because we're trying to recreate a tabletop feel for this real-time clickfest"... :idiot2: That leads me to conclude it was just simpler not to program a z-axis.
I completely agree with this. If they were truly trying to recreate the table top feel, it would be turn-based, or at least real time pausible.
I am always disappointed when space combat games stick with 2D. The whole point of doing something on a PC versus a table top game is the PC gives you the ability to do things you can't do on a boardgame.
Quote from: RyanE on March 11, 2016, 11:20:18 AM
I am always disappointed when space combat games stick with 2D. The whole point of doing something on a PC versus a table top game is the PC gives you the ability to do things you can't do on a boardgame.
I always assumed that it was just so you couldn't spill your beer onto your expensive boardgame
again, but apparently some people have more problems with that than others.
Do 3D on a tabletop and you get Attack Vector: Tactical which my high school nerd wanted to love and largely did, but my adult self realized I could never play regularly solo and could convince others to play with me even less regularity.
Watch the earlier video of the dude reviewing the game and hear the hard nerdgasms he has because THIS IS BATTLEFLEET GOTHIC ON THE MOTHER-LOVING COMPUTER! DOOD!! Some folks were hacked that they took Space Hulk in a different direction. Some people loved that Blood Bowl is by-and-large the boardgame. Some people are still mad that "Empire in Arms" from Matrix, aside from being a bit of a UI disaster, is based on "Empire in Harms".
I absolutely get the desire to create this in a 3D space -- Homeworld Gothic or some such -- but I think the game can be fairly judged for what it is -- a digital iteration of the TTG.
Now, as to the turn-based thing, naval games (and this is nothing if not a naval game) on the PC have dallied back and forth between TBS and non-TBS, with the latter largely holding the field. I suspect this is so first because you can and it's cool to many, but secondly because so much in naval combat is simultaneous. This is, of course, true in all combat, but it seems particularly piquant in naval battles because there are so few combatants in most games. It's therefore a real struggle to figure out how much one side should be able to do before the other side gets to respond.
Would I have liked them to have a go at it? Yes, but, heck, Atlantic Fleet, I think, will be challenged to implement MP, in part for this reason and I'll be interested to see what solutions they choose.
We obviously can't fully judge the game based on an MP BETA, but I'm excited. I think customizing ships and having 2v2 battles on-line will be good fun.
Aside from feeling a bit overwhelmed at the RT clicking without any pause for orders at all -- I can still play Dawn of War without pausing if I have to, but it's getting more difficult for me all the time -- I love the game utterly. Once I'm more familiar with the control scheme, I'm sure I'll do better. I have no purchase regrets, just regrets that even with the super-slo mode I am getting old.
(It could be worse; I lost my ability to judge split second actions several years ago, quite abruptly, which instantly ruined my ability to judge or even really to teach fencing. :'( Since teaching requires a lot of judge work on the students to help them understand why they would or wouldn't be scoring points.)
Would you play an air combat game like in 2D? Its the same thing to me. Doing it in 2D makes it a reskinned naval warfare game.
I don't think there's any doubt that BG is ultimately a re-skinned naval game.
It's just a really cool freaking skin. And I love naval games.
And I have, indeed, played 2D Air Combat games.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6766/top-gun
Talk to me Goose...
Loved it to pieces and still have it, but I understand why the groggier air gamers have no use for it.
Even the little toy planes referenced in my sig are used in a game that has a highly-abstracted third dimension.
I have played a number of air combat boardgames. And everyone had some reference to altitude. Usually not detailed, they had it.
Making a game like this 2D is hard to fathom. I was interested in it but not as a 2D game. There's really not any reason to have a table top space sim be 2D, it seems inexcusable in a computer game.
As RyanE pointed out, most table top air combat games are played in 3 dimensions.
I promise to stop here...honest...probably...but the TTG this IS is 2D. It has always been a naval game in the depths of space and never seemed to care about the z-vector. I played the dickens out of it that way and am happy to have it on the PC so I can play it with friends.
All games are courses for horses and, much as I would have rather it be a TBS, one is free to wish the game other, but I find the criticism that they adapted the game in the manner they found it odd.
Oh, and while everyone's experience of such things is subjective, altitude rules need to be well-implemented to be used. I've been in quite a few games of "Wings of War" - especially large con game - where people find the altitude rules fiddly and ditch them; "Richtoffen's War", never so.
Quote from: Cyrano on March 11, 2016, 02:37:10 PM
Oh, and while everyone's experience of such things is subjective, altitude rules need to be well-implemented to be used.
Well, that can be said about pretty much any rules ;) And plenty of games do implement altitude rules well, so it's not like it can't be done with a little bit of effort.
Based on my experience, it's players (especially new players) who struggle with Z-axis games. As Spock noted in Wrath of Khan, "His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking". That's part of the fun I have games that use the z-axis. It's a bit of a mental challenge to think 3 dimensionally and plan moves accordingly.
Anyway I'm not much interested in 2D air/space combat games, so I'll take a pass on Battlefleet Gothic. I do love the look of it though.
I was wondering when Spock's critique would be pulled out... O0
Homeworld showed it can be done without overwhelming the player or the AI. If the design team was going to depart so strongly from the turn-based rules as to adapt them into a (not really pausable) real-time tactical game, they could have departed a little more strongly.
Edited to add: but I don't really care about the 2D. I'm just saying the rationale for keeping it 2D is a little broken.
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 11, 2016, 05:38:45 AM
id read theres no z axis - to recreate the table top feel
I often found the 3rd dimensional axis too fiddly to control a fleet of ships, in the games that had it. I have memories of frustration, dealing with trying to get my ships into exact spots with the original Homeworld, and having to re-issue some commands multiple times in the attempt. And the Homeworld series were an improvement over others! Didn't think it added much to the gameplay for the extra effort.
If someone ever figured out how to make the UI easier to use with the Y-axis in real-time space combat games, then I suppose it would be fine. But doing so with a mouse & keyboard in a click-fest RTS environment just makes me curse the interface. I'm slow enough as it is, these days, without having to wrestle with that.
OK, so I'm watching the hook troll back and forth.
2D doesn't bother me. Wish it were turn-based but there's nothing I can do about that.
So...it comes down to this: is it fun?
I'm a fan of the WH40K universe. This is looking like something I'd enjoy.
You guys feeling addicted to it yet?
Quote from: LongBlade on March 11, 2016, 06:41:10 PM
I'm a fan of the WH40K universe. This is looking like something I'd enjoy.
You guys feeling addicted to it yet?
I don't know that I'm addicted to it yet, but it definitely is fun. It made me want to go read more WH40K novels and dig back into lore, which for me is a sign of pretty high interest.
It's definitely still beta. Like DOW II, I bet I ended up more into the SP campaign than MP, mostly because I just don't enjoy RTS MP (because I'm old and slow). But even skirmish is atmospheric and let's me ram gothic looking spaceships together and play at being an Imperial admiral, so I'm happy with the purchase.
One of the best games ever? Nah, but it's fun.
Well, that might be good enough for me. Thanks!
It's fun and it's 40K. No remorse, no regret. (Although still beta so no Eldar yet. :P )
The z axis also led to some frustration with me in Homeworld as well.
My knee-jerk reaction to frustration with z-axis is...why would you play a space-based game if space frustrates you? Its like saying I don't like playing naval games that are in water.
It was the first game I played with a z axis. That said I am very excited for Battlefleet Gothic, z axis or not, because I dig the lore. And capital ship combat gives me warm fuzzies.
Like it the more that I play, but I want the full game content now to really get stupid in MP.
@LB: As JH said, if you're the lore, it's a no-brainer. Fun game even if you're not, I suspect, but I'm well past unbiased on this one.
@Gus: I got yer space fuzzies right here...
Oh, and I did neglect to mention that the most enduring of all space games, SFB, has no z-vector.
Quote from: Cyrano on March 11, 2016, 11:05:44 PM
Oh, and I did neglect to mention that the most enduring of all space games, SFB, has no z-vector.
Very true.
No z axis is a bonus for me to be fair, never got a handle on it in home world and so what if I'm below the enemy?
That leaves big ships in a 40k world - I'm moist
The thirst is real. :D
I refuse to buy Battlefleet Gothic until you people here approve it. Once that happens, I'm in.
Quote from: Gusington on March 12, 2016, 02:20:13 PM
I refuse to buy Battlefleet Gothic until you people here approve it. Once that happens, I'm in.
(https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-x-3nbcDLVPQ/U16tJhKcM1I/AAAAAAAAGGw/pNSnyPQjQT8/s400/Chapter_Approved_stamp.jpg)
Gus, please post proof of purchase within the hour.
How is it strictly from a gameplay perspective? If you were to strip it of all the WH40K stuff and play it as a generic space fleet battle game, does it hold up? I like fleet combat games but the WH40K universe had never appealed to me.
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 12, 2016, 03:34:28 PM
How is it strictly from a gameplay perspective? If you were to strip it of all the WH40K stuff and play it as a generic space fleet battle game, does it hold up? I like fleet combat games but the WH40K universe had never appealed to me.
It's still very beta, so if you aren't into WH40K it might be smart to wait and see. Content is limited, ship types are limited, and you can't even save in SP yet, unless I've somehow overlooked how to do that. It is really a lot more like a naval game than a space game RTS, which is reflective of the lore and the TT game. Closer to Napoleonic naval gaming than Homeworld.
Quote from: panzerde on March 12, 2016, 04:28:00 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 12, 2016, 03:34:28 PM
How is it strictly from a gameplay perspective? If you were to strip it of all the WH40K stuff and play it as a generic space fleet battle game, does it hold up? I like fleet combat games but the WH40K universe had never appealed to me.
It's still very beta, so if you aren't into WH40K it might be smart to wait and see. Content is limited, ship types are limited, and you can't even save in SP yet, unless I've somehow overlooked how to do that. It is really a lot more like a naval game than a space game RTS, which is reflective of the lore and the TT game. Closer to Napoleonic naval gaming than Homeworld.
Your progress is saved in the sp solo skirmish mode.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2016, 04:39:07 PM
Your progress is saved in the sp solo skirmish mode.
Excellent. I just started that last night and was afraid I lost my progress when I exited.
Are the current MP skirmishes filled with undesirables?
The comparison to Nappy naval warfare is apt.
Re: Napoleonic naval combat, yep...and that's a wonderful thing...really want to see what it means for the monster ships.
Re: MP skirmish...not really. I've had a number of very positive experiences. Besides, given the small ships, the combats are typically less than 10 minutes each.
Quote from: RyanE on March 11, 2016, 09:52:26 PM
My knee-jerk reaction to frustration with z-axis is...why would you play a space-based game if space frustrates you? Its like saying I don't like playing naval games that are in water.
Z-Axis is fine. Being forced to use an unsuitable game interface, in order to move many ships around in a 3D space during an RTS click-fest, is the problem.
Take any one of those issues out of the picture and it feels more like you're fighting the digital enemy, and not the UI. Make it utilize only one plane = better. Or keep it 3D but make it turn-based instead of RTS = better. If you were just controlling a single warship in real-time, instead of a fleet, that would be a different thing too.
Ideally someone would come up with a brilliant UI that makes clicking a spot in the large 3D area, which is portrayed on a 2D screen, easy to do with a mouse and some basic WASD keys. That's not been done yet AFAIK. Only need one solution and the "flat map" single plane must be the easiest since it's a popular tendency.
I don't mind the flat plane in this game because it's heavily modeled on the tabletop, so that's excuse enough for me. Same with the SFC series. I just hope there's a good variety of content; that's what will keep me fenced more than anything.
I meant to add that I agree with the recommendation to hold off until open beta is over, if you aren't a strong fan of the property or at least aren't strongly interested in getting into the property.
Even after the full release, I might suggest holding off for a sale. I suspect there are better line-fleet games out there. Leviathan: Warships comes to mind immediately as a better cost-value.
OK, perhaps I was the only one NOT in the know on this, but:
I was troubled by the look of the game as rendered using the "Epic" settings I had chosen.
Turns out the Anti-aliasing algorithm in the BETA is a bit borked. I turned the AA down to LOW and holy cats is it a different looking game.
If I can get that look with Epic settings...
Yep, that definitely makes a difference!
Getting the hang of the controls now. Controlling a multi-ship fleet (well, three) isn't bad when using a combination of auto-orders, specific ship targeting, and occasional micro-management. MUCH less of a click-fest. Turning on the map icons also has the useful effect of not only showing areas of influence for clouds and asteroid fields, but shows persistent course tracks for all of you ships, making formations easier to maintain.
Liking my shiny cruiser with fighters, bombers, and assault boats, too!
I played the first campaign mission again (which I'll no doubt get a further chance on, since the campaign currently doesn't save) with AA turned to low, but it had been too long since I previously played it to appreciate any difference. (Other settings still on Epic.)
This time once the fight started I kept it on super-slo-mo the whole time, once that unlocked. I think I may have done worse than before at first!! Toward the end I was starting to get the hang of carefully plotting for fire effect. At the very end, I tried making a full burner run for a cloud to hide in as I set up a warp-out, but that was very nearly disastrous: the final killer shots were coming in as the warp engaged.
Latest news is:
1.) Full game release now April 21st.
2.) Orks now released for beta skirmish and mp.
3.) Focus (the publishers) have granted money to the devs, based on initial success, to add a sixth faction, which like the 5th (Space Marines) will be provided free for everyone who pre-ordered (preorders are I think still ongoing?), and otherwise as DLC. The specific 6th faction hasn't been announced yet, and will naturally take some more months in production. The phrasing "a few months" suggests that the 6th fleet type will either have already been on the drawing board, or will be a modification of some existing fleet.
If the latter, that might suggest the Sisters of Battle or the Dark Eldar (as modifications of Marine and Eldar fleets of course). The Tau, Necron, or Tyrannid fleets would require substantially more design work; but maybe that has already been partially done. Everything is speculation for now -- but it's welcome speculation! :smitten:
Should I preorder this right now? I want to swear off pre-ordering, but well you know...
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 25, 2016, 03:40:50 PM
Latest news is:
1.) Full game release now April 21st.
2.) Orks now released for beta skirmish and mp.
3.) Focus (the publishers) have granted money to the devs, based on initial success, to add a sixth faction, which like the 5th (Space Marines) will be provided free for everyone who pre-ordered (preorders are I think still ongoing?), and otherwise as DLC. The specific 6th faction hasn't been announced yet, and will naturally take some more months in production. The phrasing "a few months" suggests that the 6th fleet type will either have already been on the drawing board, or will be a modification of some existing fleet.
If the latter, that might suggest the Sisters of Battle or the Dark Eldar (as modifications of Marine and Eldar fleets of course). The Tau, Necron, or Tyrannid fleets would require substantially more design work; but maybe that has already been partially done. Everything is speculation for now -- but it's welcome speculation! :smitten:
Considering they currently have 2 "good" fleets (Imperial, Eldar) and 2 "evil" ones (Chaos, Orks), and the first DLC is for another "good" (Space Marines), it would be logical for them to add the Dark Eldar (them being truly evil and all).
Quote from: Gusington on March 25, 2016, 04:53:13 PM
Should I preorder this right now? I want to swear off pre-ordering, but well you know...
If you like 40K, and if you like any number of the current teams (Imps, Orks, Chaos, Eldar), and you like the idea of 2D slowwww real-time naval battles with some squadron management (in and out of battle), you can pre-order with confidence, I think. The beta is going very well. Whether you care about the upcoming factions being added on is irrelevant at worst, or frosting on the cake since you'll get them included instead of as pay-extra DLC. Ditto if you don't care especially about any of the current teams but just like the property of 40K.
If you only care about playing a Space Marine fleet, or whomever Team 6 is (which I fully expect to be announced before the beta and thus the preordering ends April 21), and the other criteria holds (2D slowww real-time naval battles with etc.), then I still think you can pre-order with confidence; although you may have to forego doing a story campaign. But the skirmish and multiplayer is set up rather like an ongoing campaign anyway.
If you don't like the property of 40K, I'd say wave off; there are other naval games out there.
If 2D is a dealbreaker, or if you don't like naval tactical combat games, then ditto. There are plenty of other 40K games already out there, and coming.
What do mean 'forego a story driven campaign'? Won't campaigns be available after the April release?
Quote from: Gusington on March 26, 2016, 09:21:37 AM
What do mean 'forego a story driven campaign'? Won't campaigns be available after the April release?
Yes.
I think he means there won't be any until that point.
Orks are profoundly silly. I love them. They're ships are maneuverable little bastards, though, as one might expect. Keeping them at arm's length is vital.
Also, while all this will, of course, be wiped away with some sale after launch, the Space Marines and the sixth faction are going to be "bonuses" for those who pre-order, otherwise available only as DLC after launch.
...red ones go faster............
Ship ramming mechanics are wonky. They need a lot of work.
So if I buy right now I won't play it because I am not into MP. But if I wait to buy when the campaigns are available I will pay more...I guess my clear option is to buy and wait it out...
Our friend cdkeys has for $28 :)
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/battlefleet-gothic-armada-pc-cd-key
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 26, 2016, 07:04:40 PM
Ship ramming mechanics are wonky. They need a lot of work.
I've played a couple skirmish games and haven't noticed. What are you seeing?(or not seeing that you should?)
I like the game but play it in slo-mo mode the whole time. To clicky if I don't
Quote from: Gusington on March 26, 2016, 08:00:04 PM
So if I buy right now I won't play it because I am not into MP. But if I wait to buy when the campaigns are available I will pay more...I guess my clear option is to buy and wait it out...
I'm finding the solo skirmish mode fun. No, it isn't a story campaign but your ships, upgrades, renown, and damage carry over from battle to battle.
What I meant, is that I don't expect a campaign for anything but the Imp fleet (although maybe there's a joint campaign from different sides); so if you only care about playing the Space Marines or whoever Team 6 turns out to be, you can feel pretty safe paying less now rather than more later, even though by only playing SM and/or Team 6 skirmish or mp you'll be foregoing the campaign when it's finally unlocked. But even then (as I said) the skirmish and multiplayer is set up rather like an ongoing campaign anyway.
Of course if there are multiple campaigns, great! :smitten:
(Similarly, an Ork fan could have just played Orks in multiplayer and skirmish in the original Dawn of War, and probably have been perfectly happy doing so, even though by only playing such teams that person would have foregone a really nice Space Marine campaign.)
Nice - thanks Jason/Grim. The game sounds worth it for 28 dollah...
Downloading now...damn you all once again.
lol - some good resistance skills there Gus, for...... an hour?
Gus is definitely not the Hobbit to get the ring to Mount Doom.
I've been waiting for months! Go eat your oatmeal.
Quote from: mirth on March 27, 2016, 09:42:49 AM
Gus is definitely not the Hobbit to get the ring to Mount Doom.
Lol
Quote from: mirth on March 27, 2016, 09:42:49 AM
Gus is definitely not the Hobbit to get the ring to Mount Doom.
I thought Gus was supposed to be Gu(s)llom :P
In the opening menu I see a campaign option available...is that Imperial only?
Imperial only, and only prologue missions right now (3 or 4 I forget). Also you can't save at any time during the campaign, yet.
Basically the campaign hasn't been unlocked, and you're looking at a tutorial for playing skirm and mp.
OK, I can deal with that right now. It's worth it to get future content at no cost.
Eldar have been added to the beta.
i made an impulsive buy a few day ago :-[ ...hell, its WH40k just couldn't resist :-[
(unfortunately missed the 10% off period by a few hours, but at least i will get the 2 next fleets especially the Space Marines for free)
is anyone playing and like it so far ...the thread stopped suddenly a few days before release on 4/21 ...why ?
....i am just still experimenting.
i like it after i found out that i can put almost all special functions on automatic if i feel overwhelmed (right mouse click on button) and can concentrate on just maneuvering the little and operating full only the most important vessel.
(looks like the tactial AI lead the torpedos , and initiat bording and stuff ...OK-ish! (well still better then i missing out on the right timing while busy with a different vessel ;-))
there is no nice (and full of lore) pdf-manual to read on a tablet in a comfy chair offside of gaming to get into the mood as an additional benefit-part of the hobby, only a webspage. well and of course the mouse over tool-tips.
I wish there would be a "battle recorder", where i could as an aftermatch marble at a replay of the last epic battle with free moving camera again just its cinematic mode with overlays switched off (F10) ...there is now time for the fancy stuff in battle!
and i have really no idea how the strategic map layer is meant to be played ...doing it right in the long run of the camapign
I like it. The skirmish battles are fun for a quick 5 to 10 minutes diversion. I like how you unlock more ships, different game types and larger battles with more points as you level up your admiral. I am still disappointed that there is no z-axis, but I've accepted the game for what it is.
The campaign is nice too, but like battles, a little bit shallow. I'm on chapter two of the campaign and so far there is no management of resources or anything. There are priority missions that serve to further the story driven events, and then there are side missions you can choose to go on in order to free blockaded, rebellious or alien attacked worlds. Each such world has a negative impact on your campaign and increases the chance of additional attacks. So far I only have one deployment per turn, so it's hard to keep up with these missions and I find worlds continue to fall without any ability to respond to them all. Overall, the campaign feels like just a linked set of skirmish battles with a story. There is no strategic management of planets, or resources, other than renown which you use to purchase upgrades for your ships and new ship slots in your fleet.
Still, a good game for any warhammer 40k fan. Very appropriately 40k and it's probably one of the best games that use the license.
I'm a little miffed about what they did with the preorder bonus fleets, but it is what it is.
Not sure why this read just seemed to die. As the beta progressed it only got better and more expansive, so I'm not sure why everyone who was playing got so quiet.
I'd have it, but my gaming budget has been blown out of the sky by all the stuff I want lately & soon™. Plus hordes of currently ongoing game campaigns already having me scattered.
Sometime in the past year I made a change in my game collecting habits, realizing that the new stuff I buy doesn't often get played for a long time. If ever. So I've begun refraining from purchasing all the latest shinies, even many wishlist titles on sale, until completely in the mood to play the specific setting devotedly, for a long stretch, at just that moment. Doesn't have all that much to do with how good they are. Only whether that theme is at the top of my list that month, assuring regular use in the immediate future.
Battlefleet Gothic was another added to the wait list. I suppose other people are doing the same, hence the lack of thread chatter.
Not sure which step of addiction recovery I'm on, but it's progressed. :))
Splurging on a Fallout 4 pre-order, then only playing 3 hours of it before going into Ancient Warfare mode again, was the last wake-up. Now I ask myself whether it will be another Fallout 4 situation each time I consider pressing the purchase button. C:-)
I am experiencing something similar and I hope my condition progresses.
I forget now who said it up-thread, but this truly is Napoleonic fleet battles in space. With bigger explosions. And an entire race dedicated to driving their ships through yours.
Haven't posted to say so, but this is my non-PBEM go-to game at the moment. Making my way through the campaign and am enjoying it a great deal. Occasionally ducking into MP, but, as is so often the case, there are others who are much, much better at it than I.
I always wonder who those people are.
Of course I wish it was turn-based, but, absent that, a great purchase.
Jim
^Your non-PBEM go to game?? That's pretty serious. Perhaps I should bump this up in my to-play queue.
Quote from: Cyrano on April 28, 2016, 09:46:12 AM
I forget now who said it up-thread, but this truly is Napoleonic fleet battles in space. With bigger explosions. And an entire race dedicated to driving their ships through yours.
That was me, you jackanapes. Just for that, I'm not telling you this year at Origins if you spill curry on yourself again.
Quote from: Cyrano on April 28, 2016, 09:46:12 AM
Occasionally ducking into MP, but, as is so often the case, there are others who are much, much better at it than I.
I always wonder who those people are.
They are college undergraduates like my son, who have abundant time to hone their skills, rather than do things like have jobs. I envy them.
My lack of commentary isn't due to a lack of interest or disenchantment with the game. I'm just in a lack of time and energy driven gaming funk right now. What little I have played I've enjoyed.
Space Marines DLC was released today, free for those who already have the game or buy it within a day:
^See now that's just evil.
No it's the Space Marines, they're 'good'
Making me want to buy it is evil.
No it's 'good'
No. I.do not need another game.
You do need another super-sexy WH40K game at a reasonable price [whatever's left of your soul].
Quote from: Gusington on June 21, 2016, 08:58:32 PM
You do need another super-sexy WH40K game at a reasonable price [whatever's left of your soul].
Heh. My soul has nothing to do with it.
what soul?
My work is done.
Yes but you will be.
YOU WILL BE.
With the other games that came out in May, this one was put on sale notice for awhile.
I am surprised no one mentioned the Tau Empire has been released as a DLC for this game:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/462261/
^I think existing owners got it for free...I really need to move that up in my queue.
Nope, they don't.
My wife got me this one for my birthday back in March. I guess I really need to try it out.
Just keep being distracted by other things.
I am incorrect. On the store page for base game, they do not list it as being in my library like the space Marine dlc. However on the Tau dlc page it says it is in my library. Yay!
You can open your Steam client and check the "page" for that game at your games library.
It will list all the DLCs you have.
That's what I thought.
Base game is half price and both DLC's are 15% off now. I skimmed this thread and it looks like most of you liked the game. Looks like it has had good support since launch. It's tempting me...
I was playing it a fair bit back in July/August. I honestly had a lot of fun - matches are very bite-sized, they rarely take longer than 10 mins or so.
Looks gorgeous as well on high settings. I guess my one gripe is that I'd want to experience something on a larger scale, which can be possible but you have to 'earn' the right first be levelling up an Admiral to the higher point-tiers.
Orks are a joke though. Hate fighting those guys.
Thanks. Pretty sure I'll get the base game and try it out. If it looks like fun for me then I'll get the DLC's before they go off sale.
If you have to choose, the Tau seem to be more of a departure in terms of tactics etc... than Space Marines. SM seem a lot like AM to me, with slightly different tactics focus.
I love the game in principle, and still play it, but there's something that never quite clicked with me and it's probably the critical difference between SP and MP, viz.: game speed. In SP, you can dramatically slow things down to keep up with the different ships, their abilities, as well as the crew. In so doing, this game really does start to feel like Age of Sail ships and tactics in space. Which is awesome. MP, though, you can't slow matters down that way and everything, for me, falls far more into a clickmush. Were it not for the deluge of other games (AND the Steam sale) I'd probably go back and have another go, but, right now, it's not a regular for me.
Quote from: Cyrano on December 23, 2016, 11:11:29 AM
I love the game in principle, and still play it, but there's something that never quite clicked with me and it's probably the critical difference between SP and MP, viz.: game speed. In SP, you can dramatically slow things down to keep up with the different ships, their abilities, as well as the crew. In so doing, this game really does start to feel like Age of Sail ships and tactics in space. Which is awesome. MP, though, you can't slow matters down that way and everything, for me, falls far more into a clickmush. Were it not for the deluge of other games (AND the Steam sale) I'd probably go back and have another go, but, right now, it's not a regular for me.
What he said. This is another of those "I want to love it, but getting familiar enough with it to love it will take more time than I can give it." Like pretty much all of the other WH40K MP games, this is what I call a "college kid game." If you're a college kid and can spend hours and hours playing, you'll get good enough that MP is fun. Otherwise, you're just going to get killed BY the college kids!
Now, get off my lawn.
I'm retired and can spend hours and hours playing. But I'm also too old and slow to bother with MP. :)
I've been wanting to get this. But, being an RTS, it may be a bit twitchier than something I'd play often.
Will get it eventually. Keep telling myself that I'll get caught up on my Games-To-Play list and get around to these others, but we know that won't happen.
I have to say, there are enough things going on even in slo-mo that I've always felt like I couldn't keep up with it. And I just completed a campaign in an RTS that has no pausability or slow-down at all, with a moderate amount of micro (i.e. BFME2:RotWK).
I guess the Emperor will be branding me a heretic soon. Tried three times to win the turn 3 escort mission and I'm not even coming close. Watched videos of people making it look easy. Then I come up against 5 or 6 Ork ships and get crushed even on the slow motion setting. Guess I'll play skirmishes until I figure this out. Good fun though, or at least as much fun as you can have getting stomped by Greenskins. :)
OK...officially peeved.
Why did the iPad get the B:G game I wanted?
http://kriegsspieler.blogspot.com/2017/04/whatin-blue-hell.html (http://kriegsspieler.blogspot.com/2017/04/whatin-blue-hell.html)
^motherfrakker!
It's also available on Android platforms.
Free/Trial version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grandcauldron.leviathantrial
Paid version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grandcauldron.leviathan
Nice. Adding to my phone now.
This is why I'm not going to bother with DOW3.
Quote from: Tpek on April 23, 2017, 10:44:41 AM
It's also available on Android platforms.
Free/Trial version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grandcauldron.leviathantrial
Paid version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grandcauldron.leviathan
What the...?
#:-)
I know, right?
Why are you all so perturbed by this BFG game?
It will probably come out for the PC as well sooner or later.
I was wondering how this was doing. We covered it a little bit last year after it launched but the guy I had doing it said there wasn't much of a community. Didn't even realise it had DLC added to it - they kept that a bit silent.
I've heard back from the developer.
It will likely not come out for the PC. Those rights are held by Focus.
So. Much. Stupid.
The RTS now hurts my heart.
The game is fine on ipad. I play it quite frequently and do not find myself wishing it was on PC. The controls and rules are perfectly suited for a mobile device.
Sounds like the crap we cop in Australia all the time. Free Trade but the rights are held by somebody different locally so unless they approve pricing and decide to import it... your not allowed to buy it across the pond.
Whether it works on the iPad or not is entirely beside my point. For what it's worth, I agree it works on the iPad well enough, but I'm not an iPad gamer. I just think this gives the lie to the notion that the PC version was better done the way it was or couldn't have been done this way. Particularly frustrating as Focus did a turn-based BB, did some RT nonsense, then took it back and gave us the current version.
This could be just as much down to the way Games Workshop has been handling their licenses recently. As was noted, Focus Home Interactive also have a license for BFG. It's possible GW divided the license so that Focus could have the PC game, and Grand Cauldron could do the mobile version... or perhaps they divided it along Real-Time and Turn Based lines? We won't really know until either Focus or Cauldron release another BFG game and what it looks like.
Not everyone likes talking about the terms of licensing deals so they will make up some fluff. I don't remember what Focus said around the time of Armada's release though.
GW's license shuffling habits and generally annoying IP management = :pullhair: :knuppel2:
Wanting a badass Warhammer PC game with depth & loads of replayability, but getting a Tablet Tap-For-Time-Burner instead = :'(
Edit: I only hope that the upcoming Diablo-style WH40K Inquisitor ARPG ends up being a fairly enjoyable PC game. Didn't really hold much in the way of expectations for all the others in development. Half are probably Plants vs Zombies clones with a 40k theme anyway. :P
The turn-based game is pretty dammed cool. Been trying it on my phone. Probably going to put it on the kids' tablet.
The ship's wheel turning wheel should appear in all other games...even those that don't involve ships...
Quote from: Cyrano on April 25, 2017, 07:24:57 PM
The ship's wheel turning wheel should appear in all other games...even those that don't involve ships...
Agreed.
Quote from: mirth on April 25, 2017, 07:33:00 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on April 25, 2017, 07:24:57 PM
The ship's wheel turning wheel should appear in all other games...even those that don't involve ships...
Agreed.
<:-)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fs.hswstatic.com%2Fgif%2F10-medieval-torture-devices3.jpg&hash=ce8d25eeaa78cfb5ee961151dc3e677b03179c0a)
Catherine Wheel?