Come for the games. Stay for the camaraderie.

Started by MetalDog, January 19, 2014, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Slick Wilhelm

I originally came to grogheads for the hookers & blow that Gusington promised me, but I decided to stay anyway. As I grow older and reach the point where I'm finally facing the reality of having to order progressive lenses for my next set of glasses, I like growing old with you guys(and gals?) as our minds and bodies deteriorate together.

When I was younger and more argumentative, I would participate in all the political & religious threads, but now I confine myself to the computer wargaming forum. I'm surprised at how many guys here play so many genres of computer games, while I'm still mostly playing only wargames & flight sims.

Like Grim.Reaper, I have a penchant(i.e. weakness) for the latest, shiny new wargame and end up buying quite a few each year. I have given up the pretense, however, of actually trying to play them all.

I sure would like to meet you guys in person someday.

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on January 20, 2014, 09:01:32 AM
I've even heard there's a super secret forum here that few of us have access to. I wonder what sinister NSA-like discussions happen in there?  :P

That's where I conduct my meth transactions.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on January 20, 2014, 10:00:11 AMI sure would like to meet you guys in person someday.

Origins 2014, Columbus, OH

Bunch of us are going to be there - you might as well come, too! :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 20, 2014, 10:29:57 AM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on January 20, 2014, 10:00:11 AMI sure would like to meet you guys in person someday.

Origins 2014, Columbus, OH

Bunch of us are going to be there - you might as well come, too! :)

yay, you can look after Bob while i go shopping, dont lose him

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 20, 2014, 10:29:57 AM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on January 20, 2014, 10:00:11 AMI sure would like to meet you guys in person someday.

Origins 2014, Columbus, OH

Bunch of us are going to be there - you might as well come, too! :)

hhmm...only a couple of hours away from where I live.  I'll ask the stupid question, what exactly is demonstrated at Origins?  Just board games and such?  I guess I could also look it up:)

bob48

Shopping my arse - you mean 'chasin' wimmin'. you think I might cramp your style........
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

pffft - youre the one with the big moustache, moody stare and leather jacket and brummie accent - youll be fighting them off with a stick

ill be at the bar

BanzaiCat

Origins is just about everything and anything game-related. There's a HUGE hall where the vendors lay their stuff out - current games and upcoming games - to demo for anyone that cares to sit down and listen. Most sell their stuff right there, too. There's other vendors selling things like knives, swords, T-shirts, movies, you name it, if it's geek-related it's at Origins.

There's other huge halls as well that have tons of gaming opportunities - I remember one that was fully dedicated to minis and the amazing landscapes the gamers created. Also halls devoted purely to boardgaming, LAN gaming, Q&A sessions, auctions, and other stuff.

It's been a while since I've been. I'd love to go but it's too far away and as my company's not giving bonuses this year (which I'm pretty pissed about as this was promised when I was hired on), I have no discretionary funds to do anything this year except barely tread water.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 20, 2014, 11:11:44 AM
Origins is just about everything and anything game-related. There's a HUGE hall where the vendors lay their stuff out - current games and upcoming games - to demo for anyone that cares to sit down and listen. Most sell their stuff right there, too. There's other vendors selling things like knives, swords, T-shirts, movies, you name it, if it's geek-related it's at Origins.

There's other huge halls as well that have tons of gaming opportunities - I remember one that was fully dedicated to minis and the amazing landscapes the gamers created. Also halls devoted purely to boardgaming, LAN gaming, Q&A sessions, auctions, and other stuff.

It's been a while since I've been. I'd love to go but it's too far away and as my company's not giving bonuses this year (which I'm pretty pissed about as this was promised when I was hired on), I have no discretionary funds to do anything this year except barely tread water.

Thanks...does sound interesting....will have to check out the dates....since I can pretty much drive down there, wouldn't be too much of an expense for me.  Just depends on timing and my schedule at the time.  One of our work offices are in Columbus, maybe I can make it a business trip somehow:)

Bison

Gah!!!!!!!!!!!!  You make me sad Banzai.  I'm so sad now.  So very, very sad.

bayonetbrant

Origins:  11-15 June

stay tuned for a big announcement from GH about, but go ahead and start making travel plans now :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 20, 2014, 11:14:42 AM
Gah!!!!!!!!!!!!  You make me sad Banzai.  I'm so sad now.  So very, very sad.

Man up and come to Origins, you pussy  ::)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bison on January 20, 2014, 11:14:42 AM
Gah!!!!!!!!!!!!  You make me sad Banzai.  I'm so sad now.  So very, very sad.

I guess I should be thankful I have a job. It's a long sad story about promises made during my hiring process that is too depressing to get into right now.

Unless you're talking about me not making it to Origins. Trust me, I'd love to, it's been seven or so years since I've been! :(

undercovergeek

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 20, 2014, 11:15:16 AM
Origins:  11-15 June

stay tuned for a big announcement from GH about, but go ahead and start making travel plans now :)

free tickets for all - that modelling contract has finally come in for gus?

or is he r2d2 in the new star wars films?

Gusington

Just for the record, I am JH's legal secretary.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd