Consolidated Heroes of Stalingrad thread

Started by Barthheart, January 21, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SgtRock

QuoteEverything you are saying says to me that you don't want this game..... so don't buy it.

It seems that everyone who is playing this has played the board game, I haven't an can't get any sense of what gameplay is like! After 5+ years in development, one would think 3-4 weeks would have been spent on a demo so those who never played the board game would could get a sense of how the game plays.




Barthheart

Quote from: SgtRock on February 13, 2014, 11:43:26 AM
QuoteEverything you are saying says to me that you don't want this game..... so don't buy it.

It seems that everyone who is playing this has played the board game, I haven't an can't get any sense of what gameplay is like! After 5+ years in development, one would think 3-4 weeks would have been spent on a demo so those who never played the board game would could get a sense of how the game plays.

Yep, a demo might help some people that have never play this board game or any other squad level tactical board game. I have no idea if one is in the works.

JudgeDredd

I never understood how a demo is that much of an arse ache...I really haven't. The game is designed on a menu system...so disable things so they can't be played or provide an exe with 1 scenario...maybe two. Maybe the tutorial scenarios.  :o
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Barthheart

Yep, this game would lend itself to a one scenario demo very well......

Rayfer

Quote from: jomni on February 13, 2014, 09:10:32 AM
Great tips.  No wonder I can't win the missions. I've been wasting time spotting and shooting. :)

Got the game today, finished the tutorials and played out (and lost) the first scenario in the German campaign (with the civilian girl).  Not sure I understand spotting.  Appears you have to re-spot each turn, even on an enemy unit inside a building who didn't move but did fire on you the turn before.  Is this correct or am I missing something? Moving out in the open is an almost certain recipe for getting your units shaken, which renders them ineffective until rallied, which is itself not a sure thing. The dice roles are necessary for me now to better understand the various modifiers but I can see myself turning them off after a while to speed up the game.  All in all, a very well done game. Not one technical issue has come up. I love the visuals, the boardgame feel and so far the AI has been quite a challenge.

Barthheart

Quote from: Rayfer on February 13, 2014, 08:59:39 PM
....
Appears you have to re-spot each turn, even on an enemy unit inside a building who didn't move but did fire on you the turn before.  Is this correct or am I missing something?
.....

You have that right. Think of it this way: even though they fired at you last turn and you know where they are roughly, they have since moved around in the hex to get concealed again. Each hex is about 150 metres wide so there's lots room to hide.

Rayfer

Quote from: Barthheart on February 13, 2014, 09:15:04 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 13, 2014, 08:59:39 PM
....
Appears you have to re-spot each turn, even on an enemy unit inside a building who didn't move but did fire on you the turn before.  Is this correct or am I missing something?
.....

You have that right. Think of it this way: even though they fired at you last turn and you know where they are roughly, they have since moved around in the hex to get concealed again. Each hex is about 150 metres wide so there's lots room to hide.

Makes sense, thanks. And I guess they have to respot me as well! Did eke out a victory as the Germans in the Ambush scenario.  A last turn melee for a victory hex did it.  This game is quite a gem.

Barthheart

Quote from: Rayfer on February 13, 2014, 09:43:36 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 13, 2014, 09:15:04 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 13, 2014, 08:59:39 PM
....
Appears you have to re-spot each turn, even on an enemy unit inside a building who didn't move but did fire on you the turn before.  Is this correct or am I missing something?
.....

You have that right. Think of it this way: even though they fired at you last turn and you know where they are roughly, they have since moved around in the hex to get concealed again. Each hex is about 150 metres wide so there's lots room to hide.

Makes sense, thanks. And I guess they have to respot me as well! Did eke out a victory as the Germans in the Ambush scenario.  A last turn melee for a victory hex did it.  This game is quite a gem.

Yes the AI plays by the same rules.

The scenarios in the board game almost always come down the last die roll on the last turn. They have done well to get the same balance here.

DicedT

Thought the game was done.

Barthheart

Yep the game is done. And for sale at Matrix games.

z1812

I thought the hex scale was 40 to 50 metres not 150.

Barthheart

Quote from: z1812 on February 14, 2014, 10:41:22 AM
I thought the hex scale was 40 to 50 metres not 150.

Yep your are correct I was mixing feet with meters. So 50 m ~ 150 feet.

Capn Darwin

There's that damn metric system messing people up again... ;D
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Barthheart

Quote from: Capn Darwin on February 14, 2014, 11:51:11 AM
There's that damn metric system messing people up again... ;D

And I'm Canadian!  :P

Nefaro

#119
Quote from: Barthheart on February 14, 2014, 11:00:32 AM
Quote from: z1812 on February 14, 2014, 10:41:22 AM
I thought the hex scale was 40 to 50 metres not 150.

Yep your are correct I was mixing feet with meters. So 50 m ~ 150 feet.

Actually 50m is about 165ft, no?

I use 1m = 1.1 yds as a quick conversion estimate.