Pillars of Eternity: The White March

Started by Martok, June 17, 2015, 10:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on September 29, 2015, 07:30:50 AM
There's a rogue class here, right?

Pillars is basically a D&D game, but with the mechanics changed around a bit to avoid copyright. 

You'll find that it has the same classes & such, and plays similarly.

Gusington

The rogue is my go to in most games like this as I have convinced myself that it really does play differently from a tanklike barbarian, etc.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I generally make a thief type character as my main PC when I play party type RPGs.  I made a human rogue for my play-through and found it quite challenging compared to other games.  Even in slow speed, I find the pace of the game is sometimes too fast for effective party control.  There's also an issue with path-finding at times and the map looks as though your character should easily be able to fit into a gap but the game doesn't allow it and so your rogue gets trapped.  Couple that with the disengage mechanic and you quite often end up with scattered rogue chunks littering the ground.

Has anyone managed to beat the boss at the bottom of the dungeon in your stronghold?  That's what stopped me playing further.  Ridiculous fight!

I recently re-started and built a party up with the sole goal of beating that stupid fight.  I went with two paladins, two clerics, a wizard, and a thief.  Hopefully the liberal use of traps, healing, and paladin defence skills will let me beat that damned thing.


Sir Slash

I'm a little surprised there's not more talk here about the Stronghold management part of this game. At first I thought it was just a gimmick but now I've got some income flowing and just had a "Visitor" who was basically a bum and I had one of the NPC's I met earlier and staying at the Stronghold kick him out. Hired some guards too in case of robbers. It's kind of fun by itself.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 30, 2015, 11:59:06 AM
I'm a little surprised there's not more talk here about the Stronghold management part of this game. At first I thought it was just a gimmick but now I've got some income flowing and just had a "Visitor" who was basically a bum and I had one of the NPC's I met earlier and staying at the Stronghold kick him out. Hired some guards too in case of robbers. It's kind of fun by itself.

Same as my experience. The deeper I got into the game, the more I enjoyed the stronghold building/management process. You even get mini-side quests that are quite difficult but give great loot.

Gusington

Sounds very similar to the Skyhold keep in Dragon Age - Inquisition.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I just haven't gotten far enough into the game for the stronghold to really make any difference in the game.  My current game I haven't even unlocked it yet and my previous which I abandoned (because I had no idea what was going on any longer) I had only just gotten the stronghold unlocked and had done only one upgrade.  I'm looking forward to hiring guards and expanding on the keep.

Sir Slash

I'm hoping for a Buxom Wench Hotel to build.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Bison

What's that
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 30, 2015, 10:09:57 PM
I'm hoping for a Buxom Wench Hotel to build.

What's that the motel next door to the Waffle House?

Sir Slash

In back of the Waffle House. Next door is a little too public. I think I'll call it, "The House of the Rising Sun behind the House of the Rising Biscuits"
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Bison


Nefaro

#71
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 30, 2015, 10:09:57 PM
I'm hoping for a Buxom Wench Hotel to build.

Saggy Pillars of Lot-Lizard-inity:  The White Trash.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd