Huge Matrix sale on Steam

Started by Rayfer, February 23, 2016, 01:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pete Dero


Raied

Quote from: Pete Dero on February 25, 2016, 04:43:03 AM
Quote from: Raied on February 25, 2016, 04:28:49 AM
I want something WW1, should I get Commander: The great war?

To End All Wars is a bit more complex and more off a wargame :

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312360/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfm9XNvwBFG8Ogb3FSx9R8x-lqYew8XGq

I have to End All Wars and I really like it, the only thing I dont like is the fact that you have to play/ control the whole central power/ allies.
Also, I really appreciate AGEOD game/ engine, I feel it fit more for Napoleonic era game rather than WW1, and as I read that Commander: the great war has more feeling of that period.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Raied on February 25, 2016, 04:53:39 AM
I have to End All Wars and I really like it, the only thing I dont like is the fact that you have to play/ control the whole central power/ allies.
Also, I really appreciate AGEOD game/ engine, I feel it fit more for Napoleonic era game rather than WW1, and as I read that Commander: the great war has more feeling of that period.

Not on sale and no longer supported, but many here consider this the best WWI strategy (still sold by Gamersgate)

Re: WWI: Centenial Edition
« Reply #190 on: 07 March 2015, 21:14:42 »
Quote from: TacticalWargames on 07 March 2015, 20:46:46

WW1 Gold\ Centennial is still for me the best WW1 wargame, the mechanics work for all stages of the War. Next comes Squad Battles FWW and then JTS France '14. Best game set in WW1..is.. Wings Over Flanders Field Version 2...easy answer:)
I think " to end all wars" has shaped up to be a pretty good World War I game;  much better with than when it first started. World War I centennial I think is the best representation but it's done now


http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=10546.0

Gusington

Commander: The Great War is solid and fun and has great PBEM.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Just picked up Hell and Soviet Corps. I've wanted something like Soviet Corps since the original Panzer General. I'm pretty stoked but I have to keep them on the shelf until I can get DC:Barbarossa out of my bloodstream  8)

Rayfer

Quote from: Gusington on February 25, 2016, 07:44:28 AM
Commander: The Great War is solid and fun and has great PBEM.

I agree with Gus. But Pete is right in what he posted about WWI: Centennial Edition....but I would add, it has a quite steep learning curve and is a much more complex game than Commander: Great War. It depends on what level of time investment and complexity you're comfortable with.

jomni

Quote from: -budd- on February 24, 2016, 08:56:06 PM
Quote from: jomni on February 24, 2016, 08:03:28 PM
Surprisingly ended up buying Hell.  Pretty neat game.  Makes me want to mod this into "you know what".

By the way, prices are somewhat matched in the official stores so you can buy there then get a steam key together with your non-steam key.

I found Hell....well Hell...tough campaign............or i just suck

Yes found out.  Turned down the difficulty after losing the first mission several times.

-budd-

Quote from: jomni on February 25, 2016, 08:48:05 AM
Quote from: -budd- on February 24, 2016, 08:56:06 PM
Quote from: jomni on February 24, 2016, 08:03:28 PM
Surprisingly ended up buying Hell.  Pretty neat game.  Makes me want to mod this into "you know what".

By the way, prices are somewhat matched in the official stores so you can buy there then get a steam key together with your non-steam key.

I found Hell....well Hell...tough campaign............or i just suck

Yes found out.  Turned down the difficulty after losing the first mission several times.

Wait till 8,9,10 ....chose your units wisely.I finished out of sheer stubbornness.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

sandman2575

Tempted by Pike and Shot at $24.  17th century warfare is something I know almost nothing about.

Minor-ish thing, but I really dislike that the units are not animated -- that your Tercios etc. don't actually deploy their pikes. The 'blocky' visual nature of the combatants is a bit of a turn off...

Sir Slash

Resisting everything... Manfully. :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 25, 2016, 11:08:33 AM
Resisting everything... Manfully. :coolsmiley:

Me too...so far....but I feel the cracks forming in my willpower...not sure I can hold out another day.

Nefaro

I actually picked up a WW2 game... Battle Academy 2.

So good job on the sale, Slitherine.  I rarely do such a thing in recent times.   You got me!    :crazy2:


Even considered others, but my wallet is hard against the wall right now.  Poor timing!   :knuppel2:

-budd-

Don't think resisting will be a problem for me. Got everything on that list that I REALLY wanted. I looked at legions of steel but that will be on sale again sometime. If i buy something i'm only slightly interested in, it will just go to the back of my rather large game que with i a lot of games i bought that i REALLY wanted but havent played yet. That's my logic and i'm sticking to it. Of course Tigers on the hunt just got released, but no release day sale so no reason to jump on it right away, i'll wait until i'll actually play it.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Toonces

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 25, 2016, 12:45:57 AM
Damn, now I'm conflicted again!  If sales like these EVER came along, I wouldn't be so conflicted.

Civil War 2 looks very intriguing and scratches my "American wargaming itch" (that's something that happens when you use your pointed thing too much), while Commander: The Great War seems to use the same basic system (less intricate system of Commanders, but it offers up technology).

Do I go with research capabilities, dramatically simplified chain of command, and an unscratched American itch?  Or do I scratch my itch by going down South and exploring the relations between my upper half and my lower half? 

I don't really have the $$ to get both...   :-[

Well I picked up CW2 with the DLC for $25.  I'm curious to see how the Gettysburg campaign plays out.

I read some of the Steam reviews before I purchased, which is always frought with risk.  I almost didn't get it based on the reviews, specifically regarding its complexity and bugginess. 

In the end I got it as I'm really into the Civil War and it is certainly a robust game.  But it sounds like a real bear to get into, and I have to admit to being somewhat nervous about the learning curve.  I have a high interest level, but my patience with learning new games is getting very low anymore.  So you might want to consider what you're getting yourself into time-wise before committing to CW2 if you're leaning that way.

Can't comment on the bugs since I haven't booted it up yet.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

IronX

I was kind of like that with GG's War in the West. But after watching some YT vids and playing through the introductory scenario a few times I really enjoyed it and like its complexity. Just stick with it and I'm sure you'll reap the rewards.