Command LIVE (Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations)

Started by Grim.Reaper, July 13, 2016, 11:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bostonmyk

I'm clearly biased but my thoughts on the consumer perspective is that you're getting value for a few reasons. First by virtue of growing the pool of Warfaresims scenario authors you're more likely to get a scenario you value by having a variety of styles and perspectives rather than just one that of the Warfaresims Devs.  Assuming success and quality you're paying for what you exactly want rather than buying a pack that might have 3 you want and 4 your don't (like every Radiohead album ever ahem...) Finally, in theory this will drive the quantity and quality up as more designers will want to be involved and they will be practicing their trade to meet the mark. The practice will be done in the community pool and you guys are actually setting the mark so the win for you should be clear. The risk is 3$

Anyway thanks and have a good day!

Mike


Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

mirth

I'm with JH on this. As a consumer, it doesn't feel like a "win" to me.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

RyanE

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 27, 2016, 08:05:51 PM
Quote from: RyanE on July 27, 2016, 07:46:59 PM
So its been two weeks since the LIVE scenarios were announced.  In that two weeks 6 scenarios were completed and added to the community pack.  The two weeks before that, 4 were added, the two weeks before that, 2.  The two weeks before that there were none.

There were at least 6-7 being worked on during that two weeks, but none of them added to the community pack yet because they are not finished yet.  I didn't count any before that, but will track that as well.  Even though on first blush, it would appear that the LIVE release might have invigorated scenario development, the samples are too small to really declare any trend.  But you can see its pretty easy to track.  I would say a couple months should show the real trend, if one exists.  But starting out, its looking like I'll get $10...

It's looking like you'll get banned.

I assume you're joking...right?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RyanE on July 28, 2016, 03:53:24 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 27, 2016, 08:05:51 PM
Quote from: RyanE on July 27, 2016, 07:46:59 PM
So its been two weeks since the LIVE scenarios were announced.  In that two weeks 6 scenarios were completed and added to the community pack.  The two weeks before that, 4 were added, the two weeks before that, 2.  The two weeks before that there were none.

There were at least 6-7 being worked on during that two weeks, but none of them added to the community pack yet because they are not finished yet.  I didn't count any before that, but will track that as well.  Even though on first blush, it would appear that the LIVE release might have invigorated scenario development, the samples are too small to really declare any trend.  But you can see its pretty easy to track.  I would say a couple months should show the real trend, if one exists.  But starting out, its looking like I'll get $10...

It's looking like you'll get banned.

I assume you're joking...right?

You're still here, aren't you?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18



RyanE

#50
Just as a quick follow up...in the completed and ready for community pack thread at Matrix:

  From early June to LIVE announcement (7/13), seven scenarios were posted.

  From LIVE announcement date (7/13) to today (about the same number of days as above), ten have been posted.

The counting here was relatively easy because they are consolidated into one thread.

Using the same dates for the inital posting of beta scenarios from the community

  11 pre-LIVE announcement scenarios posted for testing

  14 post-LIVE announcement scenarios for testing.

The counting on the last part was a little more difficult.  There were and are a bunch of scenarios posted that are still being worked on so I had to go into each one and look at the start date.  I would say the accuracy was +/- 2 scenarios.  But seven weeks in from the July 13 LIVE announcement, the rate of new community scenario posting has increased slightly.



steve58

#52
The Slitherine Group brief US military chiefs in Virginia.   Good job Slitherine/Matrixgames/Dimitris O0
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

sandman2575

Impressive !   O0

(which reminds me -- I really need to find some time to start learning this game...)

Rayfer

Quote from: sandman2575 on September 19, 2016, 03:21:58 PM
Impressive !   O0

(which reminds me -- I really need to find some time to start learning this game...)

Me too! I've tried, but it takes a commitment of time and effort (steep learning curve) that I found myself unable to do, I constantly get distracted by other easier to learn games.

jomni

#55
I fail most of the scenarios I play out the first time around.  :-[
But it's really fun and I like the challenge.

RyanE

I found Command the most difficult game to learn that I have ever played.  Its not the UI, its not the game itself, if its just the huge number of options available to play.  You can go from absolute micro-management heaven to a "set the strategy and hands off" play...or any type in between.  It is sometimes hard to figure out which direction to go in.

stolypin

Quote from: Rayfer on September 20, 2016, 08:27:08 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on September 19, 2016, 03:21:58 PM
Impressive !   O0

(which reminds me -- I really need to find some time to start learning this game...)

Me too! I've tried, but it takes a commitment of time and effort (steep learning curve) that I found myself unable to do, I constantly get distracted by other easier to learn games.

Old guy here.  There are a lot of newer games that I struggle to learn (e.g. Grigsby's War in the East/West, AGEOD's newer titles, Graviteam's stuff).  Rather than spend the time and effort to learn something new, I find myself constantly firing up Steel Panthers, TOAW, or a Tiller title -- systems I learned 10-20 years ago. 

But I made a New Year's resolution this year to learn Command.  And I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the system has clicked with me.  I'm not sure if it's because of the number of excellent videos on Command which I spent time watching (e.g. Baloogan's) or the good forums devoted to the game, but, for whatever reason, learning Command was nowhere near the chore that I thought it would be.   

Rayfer

Quote from: stolypin on September 20, 2016, 12:25:25 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on September 20, 2016, 08:27:08 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on September 19, 2016, 03:21:58 PM
Impressive !   O0

(which reminds me -- I really need to find some time to start learning this game...)

Me too! I've tried, but it takes a commitment of time and effort (steep learning curve) that I found myself unable to do, I constantly get distracted by other easier to learn games.

Old guy here.  There are a lot of newer games that I struggle to learn (e.g. Grigsby's War in the East/West, AGEOD's newer titles, Graviteam's stuff).  Rather than spend the time and effort to learn something new, I find myself constantly firing up Steel Panthers, TOAW, or a Tiller title -- systems I learned 10-20 years ago. 

But I made a New Year's resolution this year to learn Command.  And I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the system has clicked with me.  I'm not sure if it's because of the number of excellent videos on Command which I spent time watching (e.g. Baloogan's) or the good forums devoted to the game, but, for whatever reason, learning Command was nowhere near the chore that I thought it would be.

Thanks! You give me hope. I'm an 'old guy' as well.....65.  Game on!