Main Menu

Civilization VII

Started by steve58, June 07, 2024, 11:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: bruce205 on June 17, 2024, 06:51:07 PMAlpha Centauri from 1999 blows ALL the Civ games out of the water ! Who agrees ? Or tell me why I'm wrong. Love Civ 4 but Alpha Centauri is the best !

I am Spartacus! (I.e. I'm with you on this)

bobarossa

I couldn't get into Alpha Centauri because the Tech Tree was so obscure.  Almost nothing made sense from the tech names.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: bobarossa on June 18, 2024, 05:20:06 PMI couldn't get into Alpha Centauri because the Tech Tree was so obscure.  Almost nothing made sense from the tech names.

The game usefully divides them into four categories (Explore, Conquer, Build, Discover) with numbering so you can get a sense of where they are in the progression. They actually talk about how this exact issue was a challenge and how they thought about it in the designer's notes in the manual.

solops

Quote from: bobarossa on June 18, 2024, 05:20:06 PMI couldn't get into Alpha Centauri because the Tech Tree was so obscure.  Almost nothing made sense from the tech names.

+1
and ugly maps
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

Anguille

Quote from: solops on June 19, 2024, 07:39:07 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on June 18, 2024, 05:20:06 PMI couldn't get into Alpha Centauri because the Tech Tree was so obscure.  Almost nothing made sense from the tech names.

+1
and ugly maps
Yeah, the game is not pretty but had excellent gameplay.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: bobarossa on June 18, 2024, 05:20:06 PMI couldn't get into Alpha Centauri because the Tech Tree was so obscure.  Almost nothing made sense from the tech names.

Yup.  I felt a sense of accomplishment in Civ if I did something like build the pyramids.  Alpha Centauri just didn't offer that.  "You've discovered nerve stapling!".  Ok, cool, I guess...

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: solops on June 19, 2024, 07:39:07 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on June 18, 2024, 05:20:06 PMI couldn't get into Alpha Centauri because the Tech Tree was so obscure.  Almost nothing made sense from the tech names.

+1
and ugly maps

Heathens

FarAway Sooner

SMAC had the best faction design, the most immersive writing, and the greatest variety of ways to win the game of any 4x title I think I've ever seen.  Your unique faction strengths, your culture/government challenges, and the variability of starting-game conditions made each victory seem unique.  While some bemoaned the lack of customization options, I rather enjoyed the fact that each faction had acute strengths and weaknesses and you always had to balance around them.

By modern standards, I'm not sure it'd measure up, but at the time, I found the story telling and the replayability first-rate.  Few 4x games since then have so seamlessly integrated so many different new features or gameplay conventions in a single title.

That said, most of those new features and gameplay conventions have been used and reused by dozens of titles since then, so nothing about the game would feel groundbreaking or even intriguing today.

steve58

Release date has been leaked:  Feb 11

...and some gameplay to be available later today:

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Rayfer

I was just on Steam for other reasons and saw Civ VII was available for pre-purchase with 3 options ranging from $69.99 up to $129.99. 

steve58

Quote from: Rayfer on August 20, 2024, 03:26:47 PMI was just on Steam for other reasons and saw Civ VII was available for pre-purchase with 3 options ranging from $69.99 up to $129.99. 

Yeah, that sound you just heard was my wallet snapping shut.  :nono2:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Just watched the 26+ minute video. Art/graphics look great.  +1 to navigable rivers.  Three different Ages, OK.  Having to change/evolve into another civilization at each new Age, :tickedoff:.  Will continue to keep an eye on Civ VII, but it won't be a day one buy, more likely when the Civ VII Complete/Anthology/Platinum/etc version is on sale.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bobarossa

Quote from: steve58 link=msg=742363 date=1724196046.  Having to change/evolve into another civilization at each new Age, :tickedoff:.
/quote]
Did they steal that from Humankind?

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CJReich46

 129.99!?!! Please don't be DLC hell.

I learned my lesson with Civ V, not pre-ordering anything.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose