Master of Command Seven Years War

Started by Destraex, October 27, 2024, 09:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Destraex

Can I ask what everybodies favourite sources are for Seven Years War tactics and uniforms are? Preferably modern and well illustrated.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Ian C

Loving this game.

Patch out:

QuoteARTILLERY CHANGES/FIXES
- I have been finding the Act 2 and 3 artillery fielded by the AI to be too oppressive. For that reason I swapped out one of the batteries they bring with a veteran musketeer unit just so they aren't massing so many guns. This should ease the amount of casualties you're suffering in the end game.

- I've reduced the Shuvalov gun's damage marginally (from 65 -> 60) since it's usually responsible for the bulk of losses in Act 3

- I've reduced the weight of higher-tier cannons slightly so that the AI isn't massing guns like shuvalov's in the end game.

- I've reduced the chance of AI units getting weapon upgrades in the Act 3 final battle. It was previously set that 90% of units get a big weapon upgrade (artillery, sabers, muskets). Now it's 80%. This should mean you're seeing less of a spam of excellent jaeger rifles, shuvalov guns, etc.

- Dutch artillery movement speed moved from 5 to 10. This was done especially because the moment you give a Dutch artillery unit something like a limber chest, it was going down to 0 or even negative

- Fixed a bug where artillery was getting stuck sometimes after limbering, not responding to any movement orders.

- Weight of higher-tier artillery (especially the unique cannons like brummers, shuvalovs, etc) in shops, ai armies, and loot has been slightly reduced.

- This is minor but the high-tier guns (bronze and special guns like brummers/lichtenstein etc) have had their chance of hitting reduced by about -4%. The low-quality guns have not been affected though.

- Canister shot and grapeshot damage increased by about 20%.

- Unicorn gun renamed to "Licorne" which is the more common French term for this type of gun. While "unicorn" is a historically accurate term, there are complaints and criticisms that the term is made up and so I've renamed them to avoid having to give an explanation.


I won't go any further with these changes as I don't want to throw off the balance too badly, but I really do not want Act 3 to feel like WW1-esque combat where your best hope is digging in with earthworks to stop being annihilated by artillery.



AI CHANGES
- The AI "defensive stance" was being enabled too frequently which meant that many battles boiled down to the AI camping a spot on the map and forcing you to rush them or just artillery duel. We've reduced the threshold for their defensive stance so you should notice a little more aggression even if your enemy is fielding artillery. Before, they were encouraged to play defensively if they had equal artillery to the player or an advantage of 1-2 batteries. Now if they have the exact same amount of batteries they are no longer encouraged to play defensively and will more likely take the stance if they have an advantage of 1-3 batteries (random range).



CAMPAIGN CHANGES/FIXES
- HQ notification chance from raiding increased from a 15% chance to 25% per day of raiding

- All compositions now start with +50 extra thalers. It's not very much, but may be just a little bit extra to help newer players afford that first unit or upgrade a little sooner. The biggest problem we're having is newer players getting adjusted to taking on patrol armies and struggling to beat their first one and get the cash together to start filling out their brigades.

- Patrols in Act 1 much more commonly field infantry and cavalry now, and have a lower chance of bringing artillery.

- Mid-tier unit experience gain increased by 15% (from 1.75x -> 2x)

- High-tier unit experience gain increased by 30% (from 0.75x -> 1x)

- The campaign now unpauses when you select raiding stance

- Removed act 1 patrol armies from being able to field 3 cavalry or 3 artillery units in one army. They should now be more balanced. The only exception is a rare chance that a patrol consists of only cavalry which I left in just for fun.

- HQ maximum movement speed has been lowered so they should be a little easier to run from just for a little longer

- Austrian Crownland Corps now starts with a Bronze 6-lb gun instead of an Iron 6-lb gun



BATTLE CHANGES
- The brace gain rate has been slowed down by 20% as units could instantly brace (by standing still for just a few seconds) and fend off cavalry very easily.

- Improved grenadiers by making it so you only need 90% of your troops formed up to throw a grenade and not 100% of every model

- Open order accuracy reduced by just a small -5%



RISE OF FREDERICK CHANGES
- In the final battle the enemy has 1 less regiment of infantry, and their artillery batteries are smaller



MISC CHANGES

- Smoke in battle made slightly more grey and transparent so when it stacks over each other it doesn't create a blinding bright white effect that looks unrealistic

- Difficulty settings renamed to be more thematic and in-line with the difficulty naming convention of the army compositions, "captain, lieutenant, colonel, general." I also made it so that both the Captain and Lieutenant settings contain easy modifiers. I would like newer players to use a few of the easy modifiers while they get the hang of things, and then move up to harder modifiers once they become better. If you aren't a fan of those changes, we made sure not to have any difficulty setting on by default so if you don't touch the settings you will still have no modifiers at all being applied like how it is currently.

GENERAL BUG FIXES
- Rounding issues fixed on a lot of tooltips, seeing "+34%" and "+24%" should be less common which would've been a flat "+35%" or "+25%"

- Fixed a bug where sometimes light infantry weren't holding weapons

- Fixed a bug where if you dragged a bust from one slot to the next it wouldn't refresh the selected stats panel (like if you dragged a unit to a new officer who gave different buffs, it wasn't refreshing)

- Fixed a bug where skipping the final rise of Frederick scene kept the subtitles stuck on the screen

- Fixed this reported bug "When a unit takes losses after the battle if you put it in your reserves then back in your main force it replenishes all of its losses."

- Fixed a visual bug where if you had an officer who had the fierce trait that provides -5% accuracy it was showing on the unit stats that it was giving +5% accuracy

- Some misc. achievements wording corrections

- Improvement with map selection for battle, you shouldn't be getting city maps spawning in mountains now

- Fixed some encounters that used the wrong doctrine ID for the special options. For example here, even if you had "Light Infantry Tactics" It wasn't letting the player take the choice, and instead was requiring "Preserved Rations." We've double checked many encounters and fixed the 2 instances we've spotted where this was happening.

- If a save is out of date, it no longer appears on the "continue" button

- Fixed a visual bug that showed your hover-over stats differently from your real stats in camp




Father Ted

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 29, 2025, 06:07:12 AMI like it,  but I don't see it as a "Total War" killer. Total War innovated and started a gaming revolution. It was doing things that few games ever did before. It was never intended to fully cater to grogs but was meant to have wider appeal. Virtually all titles in the series are broader in scope and scale than MoC and I don't think it's a fair apples to apples comparison.
I agree.  Got it last night, despite some misgivings about the apparent "RPG party" nature of the campaign.  The battles are satisfying so far, but the strategic layer does not have the oomph of a TW title.

Not saying I don't like it - just agree that a comparison with TW is not particularly valid.

Destraex

Quote from: Father Ted on October 29, 2025, 01:24:33 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 29, 2025, 06:07:12 AMI like it,  but I don't see it as a "Total War" killer. Total War innovated and started a gaming revolution. It was doing things that few games ever did before. It was never intended to fully cater to grogs but was meant to have wider appeal. Virtually all titles in the series are broader in scope and scale than MoC and I don't think it's a fair apples to apples comparison.
I agree.  Got it last night, despite some misgivings about the apparent "RPG party" nature of the campaign.  The battles are satisfying so far, but the strategic layer does not have the oomph of a TW title.

Not saying I don't like it - just agree that a comparison with TW is not particularly valid.
For me, the problem with Total War titles was that the campaign map became much more important than the battles to the point where battles were so neglected and lifeless that they were just window dressing. IMHO of course. So far Master of Command is a breath of fresh air.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

#49
Friday night for me and just finished my first region as Prussia. Beat the enemy headquarters army on first try but am only playing on default difficulty.

Still having a blast. I still have not tried a lot of weapons available in the game and am looking forward to my next region.

I have no idea how to paint my mens uniforms historically in this period. I mean I have seen a tonne of paintings and such. But I have no regimental histories or uniform books for the era. There seem to be a few around, but they are super expensive because they are either out of print or just niche. One newer series I found was nowhere near complete. There is a some sort of website that they have which a lot is sourced from.

This is the website I am told the devs seem to use. No idea where or who these guys are.
https://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Main_Page









"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

devoncop

Well done Sir

I finally beat Act 1 with the Hasburgs having failed two or three times with Prussia (frightening to think I am only playing on casual difficulty 😱)

Act 2 now has me fielding 3 and a half brigades including one of 4 artillery batteries but even the patrolling opposition is fielding 7-9 thousand men so it's not a cakewalk

Definitely a keeper this game.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Destraex

Things I would have loved though that are not crucial would have been:
- Being able to give orders during the setup phase
- Better line of sight tools. Is there one I missed?
- Some historical descriptions of units. But I will rectify this with books if anybody has any suggestions. Functionally it's not a problem. I am just interested from a historical recruitment and usage case perspective. A lot of these names carried over to the napoleonic era or perhaps existed before the seven years war era but have lost their meaning.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Quote from: devoncop on October 31, 2025, 07:16:13 AMWell done Sir

I finally beat Act 1 with the Hasburgs having failed two or three times with Prussia (frightening to think I am only playing on casual difficulty 😱)

Act 2 now has me fielding 3 and a half brigades including one of 4 artillery batteries but even the patrolling opposition is fielding 7-9 thousand men so it's not a cakewalk

Definitely a keeper this game.
Believe me, I added many units to my army just on the bell as the enemy headquarters attacked. I was not used to commanding so many men. So I made many mistakes. It's got me wondering how groups work in game and whether I can assign groups and move them in formations I create without huge disruption.
It was nice to see that my general could no longer be everywhere at once. The enemy cuirassiers were what scared me the most. Really enjoyed the battle.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

I missed this. But apparently the game was enough of a success for them to give us another free nation. I am betting though that was already planned. I know they were considering it pre-release.

"Director Griffin — 10/30/2025 15:40
Just want to let everyone Master of Command has been a success for us, and you can expect free updates and patches. We are also going to make the first new nation completely free for you guys for all the support.

More content, fixes, balancing, etc coming soon.

Roadmap will likely be released this weekend.

We are 100% committed to you guys, just be patient as we get to work!"
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

devoncop

Wow great news :Party:

Any ideas which one ?

I would like Spain,Portugal or Sweden (probably most likely) though Sweden weren't heavily involved.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games