The Next Flashpoint ?

Started by MIGMaster, August 20, 2012, 11:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on August 24, 2012, 08:44:36 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 24, 2012, 08:39:13 AM
It would depend on how fast the ballistic missile was traveling at approach. It's a safe bet that it would be many times faster than a sea skimmer or other short range shipkiller. Even aegis could have trouble tracking something traveling two miles a second.

Yeah, but are ballistic missles "guided" in anyway? "Ballistic Missile" implies fired on a trajectory and hit what's on the end of the ballistic path. If not then just detect and move your carrrier....  ???

True, the terminology is imprecise. Ballistic simply refers to all the actual thrust being used up in the launch phase and the item then travels on inertia. Current ICBMs are much more complex than that.  IIRC the Chinese missile is course-correctable by realtime input from local and satellite tracking of targets.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

In which case, can such weapons be subject to ECM?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!