Star Wars: Battlefront new footage

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, June 15, 2015, 05:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 18, 2015, 05:28:35 PM
...is anyone playing the game and actually enjoying it?

Got a buddy who is.  But he's also mad at anyone that dares criticize the game, one of those guys.  Even if he didn't like it he wouldn't admit it. 

The Metacritic score is surprisingly low for a AAA title from EA.  User score is pretty abysmal, but Metacritic has always been an awful indicator on user response.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Skoop

I watched a ton of lets play youtubes and it killed it for me.  It just looks like BF4 in star wars dress up....not getting this until it's about 10 bucks.

I would really pay a boatload of cash for a star wars rpg game like elite dangerous...something like that where it's open world...that's what is going to be a hit with the star wars franchise.

Leave it to EA to kill another fanchise, BF hardline ?  Hell, I doubt I will even get BF5.  I see a corporate shake up coming in EA's future.

Swatter

Elite Dangerous in the Star Wars universe would be awesome beyond words. EA really isn't about making games that are ground breaking, they are only concerned about making as much profit as possible with as little risk as possible. My hope is that Disney will show a little vision with the license and give more innovative developers a try.

My four year old is drooling over trailers, though. My wife was giving me funny looks, so I turned it off. Apparently gunning down Storm Troopers in a game is worse than gunning down Storm Troopers in movies.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Swatter on November 18, 2015, 08:49:54 PM
they are only concerned about making as much profit as possible with as little risk as possible.

I'm not defending EA, but doesn't that describe pretty much every for profit corporation on the planet? Nobody is in business for $hits and giggles. Its to make money and avoid loss.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Swatter

#109
It wasn't intended negatively (or at least much negativity). I am just glad there are still lots of developers out there who aren't so risk averse as EA. People just wonder why the most beautiful games tend to be the most casual and you don't see cool stuff like Star Wars Elite Dangerous.

Jarhead0331

#110
Quote from: Swatter on November 18, 2015, 09:03:52 PM
It wasn't intended negatively (or at least much negativity). I am just glad there are still lots of developers out there who aren't so risk averse as EA. People just wonder why the most beautiful games tend to be the most casual and you don't see cool stuff like Star Wars Elite Dangerous.

I think its really a matter of time, energy and resources. I think if someone could truly make the all around perfect game, they would. But in order to ring all the bells and blow all the whistles, it may not be feasible from an economic standpoint of the developer and/or the publisher. I think the thing they don't realize is that true gamers would much rather prefer better game play over the better graphics. Its much easier to forgive weaker graphics if the gameplay is there. On the other hand, better graphics without gameplay can only get you so far.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Arctic Blast

Key arrived in my email today. It's downloading...and is apparently done enough to play. Once I'm done here, I'm heading in.

Jarhead0331

Looking forward to your impressions, Arctic.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Grimnirsson

QuoteI saw the hopping around footage and am reminded why I hate console gamers.

I suppose you knew this is a BS post and decided to post it anyway right?
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Swatter

Quote from: Grimnirsson on November 19, 2015, 02:37:57 PM
QuoteI saw the hopping around footage and am reminded why I hate console gamers.

I suppose you knew this is a BS post and decided to post it anyway right?

Its a joke! I play console games too.

W8taminute

A friend of mine let me play his the game via the PS4's SharePlay option and I must say I think I will be getting this title after all.  There is a ton of multiplayer options to try out including a fun tie fighter vs. x-wing dogfight mode.  There is quite a few modes in single player missions as well. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 19, 2015, 06:29:26 AM
Looking forward to your impressions, Arctic.

Well, the 'it's downloading, but you can play!' part turned out to be playing as Darth Vader slaughtering Rebel scum. Tonight I finally got to play the real game.

So far, I dig it. I pretty much stuck to smaller maps to level up and spend credits on a bit of gear. The big maps seem to be Hoth (same as the Beta), Endor and...2 others I'm currently drawing a blank on. One is a fight around a big area containing a Jawa Sandcrawler.

Anyway, it works the same as the Beta did. You spend your credits (earned in game) as you want to purchase new Blasters, cosmetic changes or equipment cards. You have 3 card slots numbered 1, 2 or 3, and you bring each up by hitting that number key. You use them, then wait for them to recharge. My current cards are thermal detonators and a plasma cannon sniper rifle. Just like with the Battlefield series, you'll have an opportunity for vehicles on the bigger maps. Glowing blue 'tokens' can put you in an AT-ST, or an X-Wing, or the turret of an AT-AT for a period of time, or give you a Thermal Implosion grenade, or an Orbital Bombardment, or make you Emperor Palpatine, and so on.

The game is gorgeous. It plays smoothly (as opposed to BF4 at launch). It's fun. Is it the most detailed game in the world? No. But I have fun with it. Lots of different game modes, too.

There is a Season Pass available for a promised 4 expansions. If they're anything like the BF4 expansions, a couple will be awesome, one will be okay, and one will be kind of crap. Of course, you can also wait and buy them as they come.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the impressions....did you have a chance to Play any  single player modes?  If a person only plays single player, worth it?  And within single player, can you fully use vehicles such as dog fighting and such?

Yskonyn

#118
These games have never been very good at getting bang for your buck for sp people.
Mind you, I have not played this one, but if its SP is anything like the later BF games, the campaign is only a few hours long.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 20, 2015, 05:27:59 AM
Thanks for the impressions....did you have a chance to Play any  single player modes?  If a person only plays single player, worth it?  And within single player, can you fully use vehicles such as dog fighting and such?

The overwhelming  consensus is that sp is totally lacking and a big disappointment. You cannot use vehicles in the battle maps that you play against bots and the best game modes, walker assault and the one on endor are not available in sp.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18