Main Menu

X4 Foundations

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2017, 02:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I have enough money to buy a Mercury Transport with medium quality gear at the Argon  Prime wharf,  but I'm a little gun shy. How good is the AI at using these to trade, and how long will it take to make back the 430,000 credits that it costs to buy the ship? How about mining ships? Are those worth buying?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

HoodedHorseJoe

Will add this to my wishlist. I didn't play X3 much but I enjoyed what I did play and I was so disappointed by Rebirth. Glad to see this seems to be a step back in the right direction.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Yskonyn

Jarhead I take it you dont need the controller setup guidance anymore? Happy to make some screenshots still (never knew Steam could do that, thanks Huw) if you need them.

About getting missions: does one need to fly around looking for those sparkly things as a sole means to getting missions?
I read reference to an easy overview of available missions somewhere in the menu of the mapview. Anyone found that out yet, cause I have not?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Geezer

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 03, 2018, 05:18:16 AM
...About getting missions: does one need to fly around looking for those sparkly things as a sole means to getting missions?...

You can get missions at stations.  They appear as exclamation points.  See this video from 17:00 to 20:00 for long range scanning and finding a station with missions:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4CaThFepk

Edit - I can't tell from the video if those exclamation points on the station are NPC's or sparkly things but at least it shows where to find them.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Yskonyn

Thanks Geezer.

I have accepted a mission from an alien which tells me to dock at Argo Equipment Dock, get some Industrial Components and fly towards some place.
So the first marker shows inside the docking bay of Argon Equipment Dock, easy enough I dock there and the first step of the mission updates, making step 2 active.
Pick up the components... ok. The marker now shows below my docking platform a little to the right, but no doors are there.
The alien also isn't around to meet me.
So I figure I need to make a walk toward the Trader and buy those components. Surely enough he has some in stock, but when I buy a set the mission doesn't update to step three.
Checking my inventory the item shows a yellow exclamation mark, meaning its a quest item, so that tells me I have the correct piece.
I also tried undocking again to see it the step would update once I left the docking bay, but no dice.
Do any of you know a fix? Might I be having a bug?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 03, 2018, 05:18:16 AM
Jarhead I take it you dont need the controller setup guidance anymore? Happy to make some screenshots still (never knew Steam could do that, thanks Huw) if you need them.

About getting missions: does one need to fly around looking for those sparkly things as a sole means to getting missions?
I read reference to an easy overview of available missions somewhere in the menu of the mapview. Anyone found that out yet, cause I have not?

As you are flying around, hit the "M" key to bring up your map. On the left side menu bar there are two buttons, I think both have an exclamation point. One shows missions on offer and the other shows missions that you have accepted and are active or inactive. In the first one, missions will pop up as you fly around and approach different locations. So you can get on a highway and just fly around and watch the different missions that are available. They also come up as you approach stations in general. The point is, this is the interface that lets you view missions and accept them.

I'd still like any help with respect to using controllers like HOTAS and gamepads. For now, I've just given up and have been using mouse and keyboard. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

trek

Any options starting out in X4 for a Combat Role? Such as Bounty Hunting, Mercenary. etc.? I'm not much into trading and such. Also, I played Rebirth with a XBOX Controller and that worked out great in lieu of a joystick as the dog fighting is not as fast and sim-like as in ED and SC. But, it sounds like that there is no default mapping to even that in-game as of yet?

Geezer

Jut getting into the game and I'm already stuck on the second tutorial.  Flying around is fine but I'm supposed to shoot a couple of objects in space.  Can't fire my weapons at all even when right on top of an object.  Hitting Spacebar is supposed to fire weapons I think but that doesn't work.  Holding left moue and hitting right mouse is supposed to fire them but that doesn't work.  Just hitting right mouse opens up a menu but doesn't fire my weapons either.  I didn't change any weapons bindings AFAIK.  Is this tutorial bugged or am I missing something obvious?  Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Huw the Poo

Geezer, it's possible you've hit 1 to deselect your primary weapons group.  Try hitting 1 then firing.

Update 1.20 is up:

Quote• Added Korean localisation.
• Added "Keep Settings?" dialog when changing antialiasing option.
• Added user-submitted default profile for the Thrustmaster T16000m FCS HOTAS (thanks eisberg1977!).
• Changed default setting for gamepad mode to be "Only for controllers".
• Removed hull damage on collisions until the auto pilot has learned to fly around things!
• Fixed suspense music still playing even if all nearby enemies have been destroyed.
• Fixed player-owned ship icons that are underneath player-owned station icons getting selection priority.
• Fixed player ships assigned to stations not trading in some cases.
• Fixed the movement of newly assigned managers to the managers office.
• Fixed manager's office on player stations not being accessible if there is no manager.
• Fixed crew re-assignment in certain cases (e.g. from M ship to docked S ship).
• Fixed assigning of crew in the back of your ship.
• Fixed being able to assign crew as black marketeers.
• Fixed cash exploit involving hallucinogenics and hard drugs!
• Fixed too many Split characters appearing as pilots and managers.
• Fixed not being able to Comm managers of player-owned stations via the info menu.
• Fixed exploit allowing Comm with all known ships regardless of location (increased Comm range to compensate).
• Fixed repair prices being inversely proportional to the amount of damage.
• Fixed mass traffic being damaged in hazardous regions.
• Fixed Bring Item missions.
• Fixed some unlocalised text.
• Fixed excessively loud repair lasers.
• Fixed certain asteroids not displaying the correct name.
• Fixed mirrored logos on small argon fighters.
• Fixed highway adsigns clipping into opposite lane.
• Fixed high and medium graphics qualities being identical.
• Fixed graphics quality presets not changing texture quality and SSR option.
• Fixed black screen after setting controller sensitivity to zero.
• Fixed possible freeze involving ships repeatedly recalling subordinates who are unable to dock.
• Fixed several other causes of rare crashes.

Geezer

Pressing 1 did the trick Huw.  Thanks.  I wold swear I never pressed 1 by itself to disable the group, but I must have.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Geezer on December 03, 2018, 01:46:37 PM
Pressing 1 did the trick Huw.  Thanks.  I wold swear I never pressed 1 by itself to disable the group, but I must have.

Splendid!  How are you finding it graphically?  Both performance-wise and with regard to how it looks?

Geezer

Looks great on High.  All I have been doing so far is flying around near the starter station scanning it and doing the tutorials.  A few times when in close proximity to the station the game freezes for a second or two and then goes back to normal.  Not sure if there is a way to display framerate or not but so far it feels fine with no stuttering other than the occasional freeze.

Edit - One thing that was annoying was when I could not kill the objects the tutorial would time out and it made me start over from scratch.  No idea why they felt the need to time out a tutorial?!

PanzersEast

As you fly around, drop satellites by the wharfs and ship factories.  This will enable you to purchase ships remotely..... no need to fly back to that sector.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: PanzersEast on December 03, 2018, 02:49:00 PM
As you fly around, drop satellites by the wharfs and ship factories.  This will enable you to purchase ships remotely..... no need to fly back to that sector.

That's a pro-tip, right there.

Thanks!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Geezer

So I completed a mission to repair the starter station and picked up a little over 100K credits.  But while I was getting the mission to help the chatty "woman" (or fish or whatever she is) I got a phone call, hit Esc to stop the game and when I came back to the game the little sparkly thing was gone and I don't see that mission in my list either.  The conversation was just getting started when I hit Esc.  So I guess I lost that mission, and hopefully that is not the main plot mission.

Got another mission to find silicon around the station using resource probes.  No idea how to launch probes and I don't see any tutorial for that either.

Could they have made this game any harder for new players?!   :(