Confessions of a Groghead

Started by Bison, September 06, 2012, 07:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

I didn't understand how to play TOAWIII....

Also grand strategy games like the recently reviewed DC Case Blue scare the crap out of me.

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: bob48 on September 06, 2012, 04:38:14 PM
I wonder if you can get Tiger II's - y'know, for special occasions?

I can think of a lot of snarky comments but I think they're better off not expressed.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

Quote from: LongBlade on September 06, 2012, 06:22:28 PM
Quote from: bob48 on September 06, 2012, 04:38:14 PM
I wonder if you can get Tiger II's - y'know, for special occasions?

I can think of a lot of snarky comments but I think they're better off not expressed.

Like....he wants to put a tiger in her tank? Or is that too old a reference for this crowd?   ;D

Staggerwing

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 06, 2012, 06:27:00 PM

Like....he wants to put a tiger in her tank? Or is that too old a reference for this crowd?   ;D

Sadly not... **rocking chair creaking**
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

I confess to allowing myself occasional mulligans/do-overs especially when the AI gets one of those one-shot-hits(CMBN/CMFI). Or playing a turn or 2 ahead sometimes just to see what the AI is going to do(Third Age Total War). I also confess to prefer AI to play against humans and feeling oddly guilty when the victory conditions require me to invade an otherwise peaceful nation to win(ETW). I also confess to spending way too much time getting sucked into these damned irresistible subjects instead of actually playing the games. I feel like I'm sitting at a neighborhood bar.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tuna

LOL. I have the same guilty feeling with ETW, when at the end you have to invade one of your loyal allies in order to achieve the objectives to win... they should have an option, where you say, "hey this country's my buddy, choose another!"

Gusington

Confession: I could never get myself to enjoy ETW, even though I love the era.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rekim

Quote from: Keunert on September 06, 2012, 03:08:31 PM
i wear silly socks that suit a strange hobby

Panzerkampf slippers

Hard core. Love them.

:D

MetalDog

I don't finish games.

Until recently, if I was losing, I quit and didn't finish.

I play Civ IV exclusively (or near enough that it doen't matter(although, with my game filled purchase of the Labor Day weekend(Thank you for that Greybriar and GrimReaper)CKII is up now and I have Warlock when I finally tire of it)).
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

jomni

Quote from: Bison on September 06, 2012, 07:39:17 AM
I have never played a Panzer General or Panzer Corps game.

That's ok. Grogs don't play kiddie games.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: steve58 on September 06, 2012, 01:12:37 PM
Also, I admit it, I do like eye candy in a wargame!  With todays power PCs and graphic cards, there is no excuse for HPS-type graphics anymore.

Hell to the yes. It's 2012. Enough with strategic games that look like they time traveled forward from 1990.

MarkShot

The few times I have been faced by my own mortal nature (open heart surgery, heart attack, ...), I find that the only things I feel I would miss at the end are my wife and my games. I feel having that list including "games" in the #2 position and nothing else must be indicative of a very shallow and meaningless life.

Oh well ...

Gusington

^You really feel that way? Games fill a hole in my soul dude. A certain something I can't quite put my finger on. Say it aint so Mark!!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MarkShot

Gus,

Maybe for people like us, we get reincarnated to see if we can live a more meaningful life. Maybe this is why I survived the surgery and MI. I was being given a chance to have something more said about me at the end than "He sank 60,000 tons of shipping and is survived by his virtual crew that could care less".

Kushan

I don't like Master of Magic.

I like SES Jutland

I'm not really that good at strategy games.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play