Main Menu

X Rebirth First Trailer

Started by Darkspire, August 08, 2013, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: mikeck on November 10, 2013, 04:53:18 PM
Got bored with x3...just kept asking "what am I supposed to be doing".

What makes you think Rebirth will be any different in this regard?

(Not trying to be snarky...my PC won't run Rebirth so I haven't been reading about it...genuine question)

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 10, 2013, 06:36:33 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 10, 2013, 04:53:18 PM
Got bored with x3...just kept asking "what am I supposed to be doing".

What makes you think Rebirth will be any different in this regard?

(Not trying to be snarky...my PC won't run Rebirth so I haven't been reading about it...genuine question)

+1

Toonces

I didn't realize this is releasing in 4 days.  Man, this looks like a must-buy and I'm not even a huge fan of space games.  But boy those trailers look amazing.

Geez, I need more free time.  Just too many good games anymore...   >:(
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

FlickJax

no money and definitely no time too many games.......

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 10, 2013, 06:36:33 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 10, 2013, 04:53:18 PM
Got bored with x3...just kept asking "what am I supposed to be doing".

What makes you think Rebirth will be any different in this regard?

(Not trying to be snarky...my PC won't run Rebirth so I haven't been reading about it...genuine question)

The manner in which the X series models space, economy, trade, war, etc. in an open sandbox world is unparalleled. The player can chose to pilot a single craft, or develop a vast interstellar conglomerate with dozens of capital vessels and stations spanning multiple systems.  The player is free to start charting his own destiny from the very beginning, or follow the story guided missions which slowly help build up starting assets. At anytime, the player can move away from the storyline, play freely, and return to it at his leisure, or never return to it at all. The biggest problem with all this vast openness was the steepness of the learning curve which was somewhat complicated due to a poor unwieldy UI.

By all indications, Rebirth has streamlined the UI and eased the learning curve  associated with developing your own little empire.  The game appears by all accounts to be bigger, more alive, and much more immersive. This is one I have eagerly been awaiting for a long time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

I always though what the X universe needed was something very similar to the Total War or Civ games - an encyclopedia to help you with certain things.

As an example, I remember with X3 Reunion, it took me an absolute age to discover the trading tools...things to help you so you didn't have to buy products and then go to a different sector and dock at ALL the stations to discover what prices they were buying for. Was that the trading Extension? Can't remember...but the problem was you just didn't know about it...and even if you did, you had to find where it was sold because there were only a select VERY few places to get it (wasn't it just one place?)

The other thing I think a member was trying to work out what to do to get trading with an automated trader.

I think the info was there, but it was very difficult to find and not totally forth coming.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

mikeck

I above found that there are several user made guides that provide that info. Would be nicer in-game but they are very thorough
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

PanzersEast

Pre-Ordered and waiting for departure.  One of the biggest selling points to the X series is not only the openness but the modding community.  It is very deep and no doubt many things that may felt left out will be covered by the modding community.  The X series has played to this strength and I believe X-Rebirth will be no different.

I have been very excited about this release and even though we still do not have a lot of information about the game out there, there is enough to get started and then go explore!  I hope this series turns another conner and achieves the lofty goals it has set out to accomplish... they continue to push the envelop and I give them props for that.

Time to boldly go..... or die.


PE

undercovergeek

its all entirely new to me but if its generating this much excitement i look forward to reading some reports from you guys

JudgeDredd

The X universe is probably the single most absorbing and yet obscure universes to ever grace my PC. I loved it and hated it - though not in equal measure (love getting the lions share).

It's not great at giving you information and that makes it kind of difficult to love - but when you find out what to do (and especially if you WORK out what you're supposed to do), you feel immense reward.

And it is (imo) one of the most stunning pieces of software set in space...and HUGE!

I'm very much looking forward to this - it should take my mind off World in Flames.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Well GMG now has for 25% off, making it roughly $37 for me.....what to do....never played these games before so not sure if I will like or not...does look pretty though!

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 11, 2013, 05:02:05 AM
By all indications, Rebirth has streamlined the UI and eased the learning curve  associated with developing your own little empire.  The game appears by all accounts to be bigger, more alive, and much more immersive. This is one I have eagerly been awaiting for a long time.

This is so well put, that I have little to add. But being a big talker, I'll try!  ;)

Actually, this is exactly why I was so excited for X-Rebirth. I loved X3, but it took a lot of time and a lot of heartache to actually get anything done. The best route to success was (before Albion Prelude) to find a high-end expensive abandoned ship (they were in static locations) and sell it for feeder cash to set up bases or buy freighters. Barring that, you had to either slog through some introductory combat missions to get to a chance to board a nice ship or "luck out" and manage to capture a ship on your own with limited weaponry and a whole-load of bravado.

Now they have changed some of the management aspects. You stay in your one ship but you control a host of drone ships. This is actually nearly the same as X3, as you could only pilot one ship at a time and relied on drone AI to pilot your other ships. I won't miss jumping from ship to ship, as the Albion is supposed to be fairly customizable to suit a multitude of purposes. Everything look much more accessible now, at least in the trailers, and combat seems to be more manageable (I always found combat to be a weaker element in X3).
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

PanzersEast

Pre-Loaded and ready, 3 days until launch.... 


PE

mikeck

Quote from: PanzersEast on November 12, 2013, 10:11:16 AM
Pre-Loaded and ready, 3 days until launch.... 


PE

+1

I am loving the movie clips showing the player looking around his cockpit and seeing other  NPC's in there as well...very immersive
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

republic

I have almost pre-ordered this several times...but it scares me.  I played the original X years ago, and then X2.  X3/TC/etc began to lose me.  I began to hate the tiny sectors of space, though this new one has fixed that.

I trust you guys so Friday I hope to hear the good and bad.  :)  I'm mainly interested to see if the universe is as full and interesting as the videos make it out to be.