Main Menu

X Rebirth First Trailer

Started by Darkspire, August 08, 2013, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

republic

I spent last night playing Evochron to get back into the "space mood".  I sure hope today reveals good things about Rebirth.  :)

PanzersEast

#91
Got some time to mess around with it a little bit this morning...

First, let me address a couple of things I have seen going around about comments on the manual.  If you have played X games then you know the manual if very sparse... this is intentional...  comments about the limited number of wares, weapons, ships, sectors, species etc.... are unfounded.  The manual states that these are a "FEW", the rest is up to you to explore..... also, there are sectors that have gone "remote" over a long period of time and need to be exploited.  The game is not "dumbed down", on the contrary it is more complicated however easier to access..... the economy system alone blows anything previous out of the water.

Also, there was a statement that in the manual you have to build or buy a constructer ship..... you can still hire a heavy mover to start building a station.....

I flew around and was able to walk around the ship.  There at present was three areas modeled.  The bridge, an area that is the hanger/cargo area where the ramp is... and a mess/rec room.  In the mess/rec room there are two doors.. one to a bathroom and the other I could not open. You cannot walk around the bridge.... you go from your set to the back of the ship or vise versa when accessing the crew option.... I am sure this will be moded if possible.

I flew around and accidentally fired on a station.... and promptly got the station manager who said basically "I am sure that was an accident"..... looks like reproductions if I did it again.

Flew around and have to say.... it is very fun just weaving in and out of traffic and around the stations.  I did not dock at a station as of yet.

I ventured around the highway.... one feeling I got was.... it is a living, breathing space... feels populated, unlike previous X games. 

My monitor runs at a high res, but I had to reduce the game down as it was a lot to handle.. I had everything turned up.

The controls are about the same as before and where easy to change... I am currently using the mouse and keyboard... have not switched to a stick combo yet.

Also, it is just you and your 1st officer..... you have to find other crew members to hire.



Jarhead0331

I couldn't resist and had to load up this morning, but I only had about 10 minutes with it before I had to put a suit on and go play lawyer.

Anyway, I loaded the campaign and just tried to see what space looked like.  Its beautiful. I'm using an xbox controller presently, but I'm having trouble configuring the roll.  The menu seems to only let me select one button for roll...there is no selection for right roll and left roll. I'm going to have to play around with this.

Otherwise, the controller feels really good with the game.

Other than the very brief campaign interaction with the girl who I presume is going to become my first officer, I have not had much of a chance to play.  The dialogue and plot is still corny, but that is how the entire series has been.

Getting through the day is going to simply be torture. I need the weekend.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


steve58

Lots of dismay and gnashing of teeth going on over on the Steam X-Rebirth forum.  Sounds like Rebirth is having some birthing issues, which from what I remember is not unusual for an X title...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

#94
Quote from: steve58 on November 15, 2013, 10:58:52 AM
Lots of dismay and gnashing of teeth going on over on the Steam X-Rebirth forum.  Sounds like Rebirth is having some birthing issues, which from what I remember is not unusual for an X title...

Take ANYTHING you read in the steam forums with a grain of salt.  They are almost as bad as the old gamespot forums. Seems they let any 6 year old, or lobotomized idiot post. I don't think I've ever read anything in the steam forums where people weren't b*tching about one thing or another.

In fact, putting purely technical complaints aside, it has been my experience that the more people are complaining about a game in the steam forums, the better it actually is and the more I will like it.  Anything with any complexity whatsoever, is going to attract idiots who think the game sucks because they just don't "get it."
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


PanzersEast

Quote from: steve58 on November 15, 2013, 10:58:52 AM
Lots of dismay and gnashing of teeth going on over on the Steam X-Rebirth forum.  Sounds like Rebirth is having some birthing issues, which from what I remember is not unusual for an X title...

Yea.. this is an entirely new engine so there will have to be patience.  It appears the game is not optimized well at the moment... but no X series game has been on launch.  This game is a entirely new experience from the previous X games so you have to look at it as an entirely new game and not a continuation of the previous engine.

Hard to evaluate a game based on less than an hour of play from users....  Never read the Steam forums, pretty much useless on constructive feedback or criticism.


PE

republic

I'm redownloading Albion Prelude until the dust settles.  Too many of the complaints across multiple sites are speaking to what most feared.

I'll wait until you guys can give it time and report back to us.

JudgeDredd

Alright - alright! I'll fire it up when I get home....JEEEZ!!! The pressure!  ;D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Jarhead0331

Quote from: republic on November 15, 2013, 11:45:10 AM
I'm redownloading Albion Prelude until the dust settles.  Too many of the complaints across multiple sites are speaking to what most feared.

I'll wait until you guys can give it time and report back to us.

Oh come on.  Just play the damn thing!  :P
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mikeck

Downloaded it and fired it up with my new graphics card didn't play much but the game just looks beautiful... can't wait to dig into it
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

PanzersEast

This first impression is pretty well done...




PE

sandman2575

Sorry to take this down to the lowest common denominator of 'how nice is the eye candy?' -- but does the game actually look as good as the trailers, which are pretty spectacular and claim to be pure gameplay footage? 

I'm reading a lot of conflicting reports on that front...

I'm very conflicted on this.  I still can't get Rome II TW to work on my system (which is hardly an exotic set up and still qualifies as reasonably high end), and I found Company of Heroes II to be a huge let down, in addition to crashy and buggy.  Obviously that has nothing to do with X Rebirth, but I've been feeling very burned on the early adoption of AAA titles of late --

PanzersEast

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 15, 2013, 12:41:21 PM
Sorry to take this down to the lowest common denominator of 'how nice is the eye candy?' -- but does the game actually look as good as the trailers, which are pretty spectacular and claim to be pure gameplay footage? 

I'm reading a lot of conflicting reports on that front...

I'm very conflicted on this.  I still can't get Rome II TW to work on my system (which is hardly an exotic set up and still qualifies as reasonably high end), and I found Company of Heroes II to be a huge let down, in addition to crashy and buggy.  Obviously that has nothing to do with X Rebirth, but I've been feeling very burned on the early adoption of AAA titles of late --

Just from my short time playing.... the character models are not done very well.  However, the space, space ports etc are done very well and appear as they do on video.  I have not optimized my settings, but it looked very good to me.  However, I could not run it at my desktop res of 2560x1440, so I have some configuring to do.  The mouth movement looks very odd when talking to the npc(s), but then again it does not bother me that much.

I'll report back here in a bit.....


PE

JudgeDredd

for the love of god! What the hell is this?



It was already pre-loaded!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

#104
Well my initial impression is - ffs!

Only because I'm struggling getting my X52 Pro configured. There's no mouse support seemingly in the menus. This looks like what other games look like that are configured for consoles from an interface perspective.

Anyway - back to trying to get this damn thing working with my controller!

Oh and one other thing...imo (and I might have to load up Albion Prelude to check) the graphics are a step down. I mean, there seems to be considerably more going on - much busier - but the graphics don't seem to be quite as sharp as their previous editions. I am just 20 minutes in and spending time trying to get my controller working though...but my "initial" impression re the graphics is - meh. (everything maxed and at 1920x1080

I'll be back once I've had more time to piss around with it.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people