Main Menu

X Rebirth First Trailer

Started by Darkspire, August 08, 2013, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

I'm getting frustrated with the campaign.  It forces you to become enemies with the Plutarch Mining Corp. and then makes you run through space filled with their forces.  You get attacked constantly, and then when you fight back, they report you to local police patrols.  Stupid.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mikeck

I left the campaign and started a sandbox game. Lol, unfortunately, after taking a few combat missions, I found that most were against either Plutarch or their pirate henchmen. After I took a capital ship destruction mission (which I competed) I have a very negative rep with Plutarch.

I've decided that I will just assume the role of anti Plutarch guy. I plan on assembling a trade fleet to make money and a battle fleet to destroy Plutarch trade ships where I can. Will see if I can beat back Plutarch monopoly
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Toonces

I was reading Tom Chick's (?) review of this game last night and man did he and the masses pound it.  I'm glad to see you guys are able to find the fun here because this sounds just like another Rome 2 on some of the other forums.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mikeck

Yeah, but I had fun with Rome2 also ! Lol
I don't know. I just play the game I have, enjoy the good parts, put up with the bad parts and have fun.

Rome 2 was never as bad as many suggested and neither is rebirth. It's buggy...but many act like it's the worst game ever.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Toonces on November 24, 2013, 02:26:14 PM
I was reading Tom Chick's (?) review of this game last night and man did he and the masses pound it.  I'm glad to see you guys are able to find the fun here because this sounds just like another Rome 2 on some of the other forums.

RPS also pounded on it. I'm waiting a little bit to boot my copy up. Still, people here that I trust seem to be having fun, so that holds more weight than RPS and WAY more weight than Tom Chick (remember, he also panned Distant Worlds).
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

undercovergeek

+1 to that.... haven't bought it yet but will before Christmas based solely on people's views here

Yskonyn

Egosoft is hard at work too. Patch 1.17 is live since a day or two.
I have been abroad so havent tried it, but did it fix the frequent crashes introduced in 1.16?

I ignore many review sites lately. There is something weird going on in internet land . Rome 2 was stomped while that was nowhere near as bad as the internet made you believe and Rebirth goes through the same shit.
Sure, the games aren't where they were supposed to be at launch, but come on, the internet speak in excessives rather than nuance.

I find it much better to discuss with communities like this one where a decent mature and mostly nuanced discussion about a game can be held.

I like Rebirth so far, but it does need to get some changes to its gameplay and give the player more control over things that concerns his ability to keep going at the slogans of the game; build, fight, trade and think.
There an excessive amount of think involved which often doesnt even lead to a solution to the trade, build and fight options. ;)

But I have no doubt this will be a darn fine game in a few months.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

panzerde

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 24, 2013, 12:44:36 PM
I'm getting frustrated with the campaign.  It forces you to become enemies with the Plutarch Mining Corp. and then makes you run through space filled with their forces.  You get attacked constantly, and then when you fight back, they report you to local police patrols.  Stupid.

I hit a point where PMC sent no less than a dozen fighters after me, and the cap ships I was supposed to protect refused to engage the enemy.  I tried to get past this in various ways for a couple of hours, and realized that this game, for all the pretty, pretty graphics, had turned into a complete fun-suck for me.  I'll give it a try again in a few months when Egosoft and the modders have had a chance to make it playable.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

undercovergeek

Dammit - the games running of defenders!

mikeck

#309
Quote from: panzerde on November 25, 2013, 06:02:35 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 24, 2013, 12:44:36 PM
I'm getting frustrated with the campaign.  It forces you to become enemies with the Plutarch Mining Corp. and then makes you run through space filled with their forces.  You get attacked constantly, and then when you fight back, they report you to local police patrols.  Stupid.

I hit a point where PMC sent no less than a dozen fighters after me, and the cap ships I was supposed to protect refused to engage the enemy.  I tried to get past this in various ways for a couple of hours, and realized that this game, for all the pretty, pretty graphics, had turned into a complete fun-suck for me.  I'll give it a try again in a few months when Egosoft and the modders have had a chance to make it playable.

Not sure that is a bug.? (There are many)   Ships you escort may or may not be armed or have a defense officer. Dunno...I am not playing the campaign.

There are a bunch I mods out though. One makes the NPCs harder but haven't seen one that deals with that issue...enemy sending too many

Take a look
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349319


"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

#310
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 25, 2013, 06:29:48 PM
Dammit - the games running of defenders!

No, you're confusing "panzers east" with "panzerde"
attached a screenie. Thought it it was cool with the freighter loading up

the second is the player ship..I love the old battle scarring and weathered look...not to mention the gun
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

few more...me flying through some sort of farm
and also me escorting my charge...a ship filled with water (top left..love the "weathered" look)) the farm I flew into is in the background
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

panzerde

Quote from: mikeck on November 25, 2013, 06:46:02 PM
Quote from: panzerde on November 25, 2013, 06:02:35 PM

I hit a point where PMC sent no less than a dozen fighters after me, and the cap ships I was supposed to protect refused to engage the enemy.  I tried to get past this in various ways for a couple of hours, and realized that this game, for all the pretty, pretty graphics, had turned into a complete fun-suck for me.  I'll give it a try again in a few months when Egosoft and the modders have had a chance to make it playable.

Not sure that is a bug.? (There are many)   Ships you escort may or may not be armed or have a defense officer. Dunno...I am not playing the campaign.


In this case it's a bug.  The ships aren't mine, they're the entire HOA attack fleet, which is supposed to be attacking a station.  PMC responds.  There's dialog about the enemy jumping in, and how the HOA fleet is going to "keep them busy."  The entire time, four or five HOA cap ships just sit there.  They don't move to attack, they don't fire at the enemy, nothing.  The one time I hung on long enough to get the order to dock with one of the cap ships, the game hung as soon as I did so.

The game has potential.  I'm just seeing too many cases where trading doesn't work, or cap ships don't, or something else is not functioning.  It seems that Egosoft has started to address some of this, but it'll take awhile.  In the meantime I have plenty of not broken games to play.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mikeck

Gotcha, yeah I quit the campaign because I didn't feel like guessing when I was doing something wrong or there was a bug. Plus, I just wanted to do my own thing
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

republic

I played X:BTF a lot, and X2 a little, but I have to admit I never really gave X3/TC/AP a chance because I was a new parent and had no time.  X Rebirth has actually made me go back and try X3: Albion Prelude and I have to admit...I understand why people are upset about Rebirth.

Its a little like comparing DCS: A-10C vs the A-10A module.  Or War in the East vs Unity of Command.  All good but distinctly different in their goals.  One towards simulation the other towards gameplay.

I have to say also, that I'm disappointed in the level of customization that you can do for the Skunk.  The whole selling point of the single ship was that you would get to know it, and it would grow with you...but as far as I have played and read...all you can do is upgrade the equipment like you could in the previous X series...nothing new.  You have 1 room you can walk around in, and the cockpit that you walk in and out of.

Independence War did the 'one ship' idea much better, with the various navigation, damage control, and other screens you felt in control of your ship.  Rebirth's side monitor doesn't provide that same feel.

Right now X: Rebirth feels like I'm playing the first Distant Worlds.  I can see a great game...but its a ways off.  Distant Worlds had/has the advantage of being the only game in town that does what it does so it had time to grow  X:Rebirth  has previous X's to compete with along with Evochron/Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen/Squadron 42 etc.

Right now Rebirth feels like a mix between X3 and Evochron...but doesn't provide the best of either.  I like it...but right now it is like eating a poor quality steak.  For me...all steak is good...but its a shame to waste a steak by cooking it poorly.

I will continue to eat my steak, but man it could use some seasoning and marinade time...

(I stink at analogies)