Main Menu

X Rebirth First Trailer

Started by Darkspire, August 08, 2013, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mikeck

#315
I agree. My problem is that the things i think x3 AP lacked, are actually present in rebirth. Unfortunately, rebirth lacks a lot of what X3 has. I hated that the x3, the universe didnt feel alive. Once I got some trade ships and a few factories, I got bored...I mean...what to do? I COULD buy warships to attack someone..but who? Everyone likes me. I WANTED to start a trade war with another corporation but whatever I destroy is respawned instead of remanufactured!

I know there is a mod but I'm talking about ships. I declare I'm fighting joneferco or something..I send ships in to destroy joneferco ships...then what? I lose a shit load of reputation and accomplish nothing! The ships just respawn and reappear after awhile like nothing happened.

So without a "living universe" I didn't feel like there was any reason to build a fleet since whatever I destroyed, magically was just remade instantly.

With Rebirth, I feel like if I blow up a ship, the Plutarch company had to spend a lot of time and effort to order new ones. If I destroy enough, I can ruin that corporation because they cannot replace the losses.

So I would rather play x3ap...but I can't because I don't feel like there is any reason for me to attack anyone when their crap just reappears 10 minutes later. Example: I fly into a war sector and destroy 30 Terran ships...then I fly to another and kill 100 xenon ships. Have I accomplished anything?????anythibv at all? No...because the game just respawns them.

At least in rebirth, when working properly, that should be more difficult since they must have the proper resources delivered and then actually build it. In x3, get just "spawn"

That's the best way I can describe it. x3tc and Ap are BY FAR superior games...but they lack that immersiveness...that "thing" that makes me feel like there are reasons why I should do things and attack things and that my actions actually affect the universe. That doent happen when ships and stations just respawn. Why bother to attack the terrans at all when they can replace any losses by respawning?

So for me, fully acknowledging its flaws, bugs and poor design, I will continue to play rebirth, not because it is a better game (it's not) but because it is the only x game that makes me feel like what I do actually matters...

Edit: the one thing that really pisses me off is being flat out lied to. For example, being told that we could modify the skunk to be whatever we wanted it to be; fighter, cargo ship, etc with various modules. Nothing like that exists
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on November 26, 2013, 10:49:14 AM
I agree. My problem is that the things i think x3 AP lacked, are actually present in rebirth. Unfortunately, rebirth lacks a lot of what X3 has.

That sums it up right there. 

I'm sure the developer had time constraints in mind when they cut some of the X3 features from this one.  The new one has a nice living feel to it, something X3 didn't have so much.  But at the same time it's saddening to see what was lost. 

I'll probably just sit on this one until it's matured some more.  I kinda have to since I'll be reliant on mods to bypass the 3rd person station walking since it makes me literally ill.  I don't want to be forced to wait on the mod to be updated every time there's a patch to the game which, with Steam games, is a constant deluge of small ones.  Hopefully some leaps can be made and the frequency settles down after a bit.

mikeck

Just had THE BEST space battle I can remember. I took a mission to destroy the commander of a rival faction who, apparently, was riding around in a capital ship without an escort. I took off an found the ship nearby attacking the station. Many of the local ships were firing on the capital ship.

I fired my nova drones which are like visually guided missles. Once you fire, it switches your view so you are piloting the drone...I drove the bitch right into the left engine..BOOM! Engine on fire and smoking. The ship is actually "listing". I fired my second drone and took out the second engine...now there are sheets of flame shooting from the top rear of the ship.

Apparently, the ship saw me hiding 8km away (fire drones from a long way off) and launched about 10 fighters. I switched to my anti-fighter missles and started dogfighting. I killed about 5 and the friendly station ships got the rest.

I use a missile mod which makes the  "crusher" missles into slow anti cap ship missles. I launched two which hit the cap ship amid ships. The cap ship started firing these hugs ass lasers at the station and smaller flak stuff at me. I started strafing her with my plasma launcher and took out some sort of shield generator and a weapon. After a few minutes, the station fire really took its toll with these big blue plasma ball thingies and i got the warning :

"Enemy ship destroyed...massive explosion imminent...evacuate the area"

So I take off and spin around to watch. The ship goes up...and here is the best part...the explosion took out part of the station! Blue off a whole section. I took a screen shot of the floating wreckage of both. If you blow up a capital ship next to a station , it will take out a chunk of it...and I have no idea of it's repaired

This game has issues but I haven't had a battle that cool since free space. Will post the screenie later
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

Wow! That is pretty awesome!
Even more if this results in the faction that lost the part of the station going to rebuild that part and you would see a shift of needed materials for trade in the economy in that sector.
Are you going to stick around and try to find out?

I had a smaller version of your battle, where on the the cap ships blew up, but only took with it other ships in the vicinity.

As of its current state I find the game pretty cool as a dogfighter, small trader kind of setup, but I get really frustrated when I want to take things bigger. We desperately need more 'tools'.
I also find it very dissapointing that so many content seems to have been cut for the player. In previous games one of the fun things was to configure your ship any way you like. Egosoft claimed we would be able to with the Skunk as well, but the options so far seem hopelessly limited. :( That's a bummer and might contribute to the often heard complaint by people that they think the game was developed as a console shooter type of game more than a true X game.
I *really* hope Egosoft will turn Rebirth more towards the previous games in terms of player interaction. We need the Build, Trade and Think back.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

As usual - with all the X games - I find myself flying around rather aimlessly.

The only thing I can see to do is pick up container loot on stations, fly by stations to unlock locations and info.

I don't know how to get started on trading. I don't know what the aim is. I don't know where to buy ships and even if I should buy ships. I don't know what I'd do with said ships if I did have them as you can't actually fly them. I don't know what missiles to buy or where to buy them and what would get me started on just being a kick arse astronaut. Simply put - not a clue.

So I started with the campaign. At the minute I have "found" a big ship...I was directed to go there...and I bought a pilot and an engineer and a defence officer I think...all of which have pretty much broke my bank. Last time I loaded the campaign, I was instructed to get someone else for the ship - but a) I have no money and b) I'm sure it was a repeat of one I just bought (Engineer I think). Now I'm in space with no icon to show me where to go to continue the mission and I can't find out where to go to find out what my mission is. But I digress - I don't want to play the campaign anyway really. I'm only doing it because it offers some kind of structure and at least occasionally I feel like I know what I'm doing.

If they simplified the game and the interface for idiots - it didn't work or I'm some kind of super idiot.

As with all the X games - they look great and the openness is VAST - but that just helps to confuse me more.

I expect one day it will kick in as did X3.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Oh and mikeck - that is a cool story.

Is that the campaign or sandbox?
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Yskonyn

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 28, 2013, 04:52:37 AM

I don't know how to get started on trading. I don't know what the aim is. I don't know where to buy ships and even if I should buy ships. I don't know what I'd do with said ships if I did have them as you can't actually fly them. I don't know what missiles to buy or where to buy them and what would get me started on just being a kick arse astronaut. Simply put - not a clue.



They keep info on lots of game mechanics vague on purpose, because they want you to 'think'. (See what I did there? ;) )
Seriously, they do want you to explore and find out stuff on your own.
You want to buy ships? Fine, you can! How you use them is up to you.
Its just that the tools to use them are just lacking in Rebirth.

As for weapons (and about every other item in game) you can look up in the Encyclopedia in-game what they can do and what they are intended for.
Press the big 'I' in the top left of the item screen to access the Encyclopedia entry, or go into the main menu (ENTER) and choose 'Info' - 'Encyclopedia'.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

#322
^ thanks.

I wasn't meaning to be critical. It's what X games are about. If anything, it's my lack of digging that stops me getting into sandbox games. Other people thrive on investigation...I'm a bit of a lazy gamer I think.

It's the lack of direction in sandbox games that hinders me. I'm at logger heads. What do I do? What do I want to be? Shall I get a fighter and make some money killing stuff? Should I get a freighter first? What about stations? Hold on - I've got no money!

But once something "clicks" it's always nice.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

mikeck

#323
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 28, 2013, 04:55:21 AM
Oh and mikeck - that is a cool story.

Is that the campaign or sandbox?

Sandbox... I generally don't do campaigns...like to do my own thing

I very much prefer rebirths model of corporation warfare over x3 racial warfare. I feel like I an join in with my own corporation!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 28, 2013, 06:32:47 AM
^ thanks.

I wasn't meaning to be critical. It's what X games are about. If anything, it's my lack of digging that stops me getting into sandbox games. Other people thrive on investigation...I'm a bit of a lazy gamer I think.

It's the lack of direction in sandbox games that hinders me. I'm at logger heads. What do I do? What do I want to be? Shall I get a fighter and make some money killing stuff? Should I get a freighter first? What about stations? Hold on - I've got no money!

But once something "clicks" it's always nice.

That has always been the best thing and worse thing about x games. The problem with rebirth is because of the bugs, it's hard to know whether something is tough to figure out or broken.

Anyway, to your question. I did two things. First is that I used The very basic "Save game editor" in the rebirth mod forum to "edit" my save with an extra $1,000,000 credits!

Not really enough to do much but did allow me to buy missiles and new weapons and such. In the beginning, you can't trade because you can't afford a ship (sandbox)...so either cheat and give yourself more money OR so what I am doing and fly around accepting increasingly difficult combat missions. It adds up...$50k here...$35k there.

A recommendation: I added an experimental mod that fiddles with the trading in an effort to get the universe trading like it should.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=355127&sid=91078418c92e1d1cca2910e7f35f1dbe

I recommend it. It's too early to tell how effective it is but I instantly noticed two things when I installed it: 1. More trade ships actually docking and leaving port with supplies...second, when I found a shipyard and look at the available ships I noticed that ships were in the process of being built! One was at 86% completion when I started the conversation with the vendor, by the time I was done it was 97% complete. That indicates to me that the shipyard is getting deliveries of materials they need to actually build the ships so I recommend giving the mod a try it seems to really stimulate the economy
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

republic

In my game trading has broken, fleets of capital ships just sit near the stations.  The patch to fix it is due soon, and you can get it now if you opt in for the beta patches...but I'm too chicken I'll lose my progress.

I had the bug where you can't see your console, that took a bit to fix itself.

Then I landed on a station and was apparently attacked by Plutarch...its annoying because I'm in a hanger looking at my ship and I hear the computer "Shields critical"...  That's pretty immersion breaking.  I guess when you land your ship actually stays in space to the game engine.  :(

mikeck

I am using the beta patch. Seems to be working but I don't have a trade ship yet so I can't tell for sure. My glass map thingy disappears on occasion but if you just hit (enter) the (5) to go see your crew, when you re enter the cockpit it works.

The mod I mentioned above worked well for trading but I removed it for the new beta.

On the stability front,  after 1.17 I have not had a single crash. The only issue I had was a ship that I was supposed to escort seemed to just fly around aimlessly and never dock. I just hired Marine Officer and 20 marines so I am ready to start capping ships and making some money. Goal is to destroy Plutarch
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

republic

I tried the Enter 5 thing, it went to the cargo room and then back but still didn't work.  I ended up having to exit completely.  When it exited it did a crash dump log...not sure what the deal was.

mikeck

Dunno, sorry to hear your having a lot of trouble with it after initially enjoying it. I know it's disappointing when you WANT to like something but can't

Maybe opt into the beta 1.18 patch and see if it helps. If not, so what a lot of others are... Shelve it for a few months and come back
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

republic

I'm still enjoying it quite a bit.  The game alternates from amazing to broken.  I feel like I'm dating this girl: