GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: BanzaiCat on January 26, 2016, 02:02:21 PM

Title: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 26, 2016, 02:02:21 PM
My son turns 17 today. :(

My daughter will be 15 two weeks from today.  :'(

I know some of you have grown kids, but those of you with the younger ones, enjoy the time you have with them while you can.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on January 26, 2016, 02:12:28 PM
sunrise, sunset
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on January 26, 2016, 03:14:23 PM
I hear you BC. But look up man. Grandkids are the Bomb. They do all the dumb things you kids did that used to make you mad but now they're funny because their parents have to clean it up. Plus they'll tend to believe you over the parents when you tell them how tough it was to raise "Mom" or "Dad".
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 26, 2016, 05:34:05 PM
Also, the Dukes of Hazzard premiered today, 36 years ago.

Thirty years ago today, the Bears beat the Patriots in Super Bowl in Super Bowl XX.

And on this day 54 years ago, Kennedy appointed the first female Presidential doctor.  ^-^
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 26, 2016, 05:37:18 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on January 26, 2016, 03:14:23 PM
I hear you BC. But look up man. Grandkids are the Bomb. They do all the dumb things you kids did that used to make you mad but now they're funny because their parents have to clean it up. Plus they'll tend to believe you over the parents when you tell them how tough it was to raise "Mom" or "Dad".

Not only am I in no hurry to become a grandfather, but this day will be long in coming. My son has zero social life. The cute cashier at HEB (she must have been all of 20 years old) was minorly flirting with him...we were there to get his bday cake, and he's totally oblivious to her. Sigh. Thankfully too, my daughter has little interest in boys right now. I'm fine with that lasting into her 30s.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on January 26, 2016, 06:36:31 PM
Your son has the finely honed social skills of a Grog.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bbmike on January 26, 2016, 07:11:01 PM
Also, I heard Grogheads turned 4 years old today!  :o
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on January 26, 2016, 07:37:11 PM
Today is the 33 year anniversary of the death of Paul 'Bear' Bryant.  And the inaugural day to mourn the passing of Abe Vigoda.  And I agree with Slash, grandkids kick ASS!!!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 28, 2016, 09:31:44 PM
Richard Linklater is 55 years old.  Ouch.  Isn't he supposed to be perpetually 27?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Bison on January 28, 2016, 09:33:54 PM
I sat in a room full of people who were no older than 3 or 4 when 9/11 happened.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on January 28, 2016, 09:42:30 PM
The kids at work almost qualify for that.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 28, 2016, 09:43:07 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 28, 2016, 09:33:54 PM
I sat in a room full of people who were no older than 3 or 4 when 9/11 happened.

I get multiple rooms of them every day.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Bison on January 28, 2016, 09:44:40 PM
It's odd.  It still seems like a current event to me, but for them it's more a historical event.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on January 28, 2016, 09:50:51 PM
^Stuff like that drives me nuts. Imagine how WWII vets feel now.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Bison on January 28, 2016, 09:55:15 PM
Well I guess we've all been in similar circumstances.  I guess I'm just more cognizant of it now.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 28, 2016, 09:56:27 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 28, 2016, 09:44:40 PM
It's odd.  It still seems like a current event to me, but for them it's more a historical event.

To today's college kids, Kurt Cobain has always been dead.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on January 28, 2016, 10:21:46 PM
Like Jim Morrison for me. Or Janis Joplin. Or Jimi Hendrix. Or Elvis.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on January 28, 2016, 11:38:00 PM
I felt the same way when they told me Abe Lincoln had been shot.  :'(
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: LongBlade on January 28, 2016, 11:43:25 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on January 28, 2016, 11:38:00 PM
I felt the same way when they told me Abe Lincoln had been shot.  :'(

Don't feel bad - Windy was the dude officiating the ceremony when King Tut married his sister.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on January 29, 2016, 06:47:36 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 28, 2016, 10:21:46 PM
Like Jim Morrison for me. Or Janis Joplin. Or Jimi Hendrix. Or Elvis.

Elvis died in 1977.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 29, 2016, 07:22:36 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 29, 2016, 06:47:36 AM
Elvis died in 1977.

Funny, I distinctly remember that moment when the news reporter came on TV.

Me: playing with toys (I was eight)
TV: Elvis is dead
Me: Looks up to watch
Others in room: Stunned silence as report ends
Me: (shrug) Goes back to playing with toys

It didn't really register with me until years later. My mom tried to explain to me what a legend he was, but my child brain couldn't wrap around that fact. Same goes with kids today, too. I remember asking my daughter a few months ago about Kurt Cobain...she knew who he was, so I couldn't have been prouder.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on January 29, 2016, 08:31:54 AM
I was 3 in '77. And Elvis ain't really dead anyway. The first real rock death that affected me was John Lennon. I was 6 years old for that and remember my mother crying for three days straight.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 29, 2016, 08:57:11 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 29, 2016, 08:31:54 AM
I was 3 in '77. And Elvis ain't really dead anyway. The first real rock death that affected me was John Lennon. I was 6 years old for that and remember my mother crying for three days straight.

True enough. The highly factual documentary, Bubba Ho-Tep (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubba_Ho-Tep), indicates Elvis was in a nursing home with JFK.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on January 29, 2016, 11:51:40 AM
Everybody knows that the Beatles were a science experiment. They used DNA from the airplane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ricky Valens, and The Big Bopper to create the Beatles in a lab in Liverpool. They were going to do the same thing with Elvis' DNA but they figured he pretty well spread it around by himself enough. Somebody did steal some of Elvis' DNA and took it to the Jackson's house where it was spilled by accident and spread through the... whole....family.  :o That's strong stuff.  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on February 27, 2016, 10:26:56 PM
40 things turning 40 in 2016


http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/smart-living/40-people-and-things-turning-40-in-2016/ss-BBpzQjs?ocid=mailsignout
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Martok on March 02, 2016, 06:59:11 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 27, 2016, 10:26:56 PM
40 things turning 40 in 2016


http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/smart-living/40-people-and-things-turning-40-in-2016/ss-BBpzQjs?ocid=mailsignout
Also, me.  Sigh. 

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on March 02, 2016, 07:11:45 AM
Quote from: Martok on March 02, 2016, 06:59:11 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 27, 2016, 10:26:56 PM
40 things turning 40 in 2016


http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/smart-living/40-people-and-things-turning-40-in-2016/ss-BBpzQjs?ocid=mailsignout
Also, me.  Sigh.

I'll trade you for 53.  :(
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on March 31, 2016, 07:01:51 PM
Happy 31st Birthday, Wrestlemania!

http://www.avclub.com/article/wrestlemania-turns-31-today-brother-234600
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Emeraldlis on April 02, 2016, 09:14:29 AM
I listened to a radio show today , an hour slot called the golden oldies . The playlist was from the 90's   :(  I was still in high school in the early to mid 90's ......it wasn't THAT long ago , was it  ??? ......sigh :-\  the DJ probably wasn't even alive when I was born  ;D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on April 02, 2016, 12:34:40 PM
I've got news for you, you are one of the youngsters here.   ;D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Arctic Blast on April 02, 2016, 01:07:59 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on April 02, 2016, 09:14:29 AM
I listened to a radio show today , an hour slot called the golden oldies . The playlist was from the 90's   :(  I was still in high school in the early to mid 90's ......it wasn't THAT long ago , was it  ??? ......sigh :-\  the DJ probably wasn't even alive when I was born  ;D

I can relate. The first time that I heard Nirvana on the local classic rock station, my world broke.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: UBoater on April 02, 2016, 09:45:09 PM
I remember when I was younger getting on elevators and in department stores hearing 50's music and thinking man that's old...
Now I get on elevators and start singing along with the songs... uh oh.

The worst was sitting in the orthodontist chair while doing an extended root canal sedated. The Dr. was playing a 70's folk rock stream and I was zoning out - and I felt like I was in Junior High in my mind. Then when the drill started again I was back in the present real quick...

"Fire and Rain" - James Taylor
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on April 02, 2016, 09:55:05 PM
I graduated high school in 1992 😡
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on April 02, 2016, 10:14:26 PM
By 1992 I had already voted for President 5 times. And none of them more than once per election. I already had illegitimate children graduating from High School in 1992.  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on April 03, 2016, 05:42:35 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 02, 2016, 10:14:26 PM
By 1992 I had already voted for President 5 times. And none of them more than once per election. I already had illegitimate children graduating from High School in 1992.  :coolsmiley:

Making you legitimately old.  :P


I had my first legal beer in the summer of 1981.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Emeraldlis on April 03, 2016, 09:07:43 AM
Quote from: Gusington on April 02, 2016, 09:55:05 PM
I graduated high school in 1992 😡

I left in 1994 , and I couldn't wait to get out into the adult world .....what an idiot !  :uglystupid2:

Quote from: MetalDog on April 02, 2016, 12:34:40 PM
I've got news for you, you are one of the youngsters here.   ;D


That does make me feel a tad bit better  :smitten: 


Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 02, 2016, 01:07:59 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on April 02, 2016, 09:14:29 AM
I listened to a radio show today , an hour slot called the golden oldies . The playlist was from the 90's   :(  I was still in high school in the early to mid 90's ......it wasn't THAT long ago , was it  ??? ......sigh :-\  the DJ probably wasn't even alive when I was born  ;D

I can relate. The first time that I heard Nirvana on the local classic rock station, my world broke.


I remember river Phoenix dying  :(  I watched a film with my daughter with him in it , she didn't even know who he was or that he was dead  ....ugh.  :tickedoff:


Quote from: Staggerwing on April 03, 2016, 05:42:35 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 02, 2016, 10:14:26 PM
By 1992 I had already voted for President 5 times. And none of them more than once per election. I already had illegitimate children graduating from High School in 1992.  :coolsmiley:

Making you legitimately old.  :P


I had my first legal beer in the summer of 1981.


Um......stags , I only started school in 1982 !!!  I could have joined you for a beer though in about '96 .......legally 
O0 
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on April 03, 2016, 09:37:32 AM
For today's college students, Kurt Cobain has always been dead
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on April 03, 2016, 12:00:56 PM
I was pushing shopping carts through the Grand Union parking lot in Albany NY when I found out Kurt Kobain killed himself. I got so pissed...I knew he had problems but I thought he could get through them. Have not listened to my Nirvana albums since then. Thank God for Dave Grohl!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on May 04, 2016, 11:46:03 AM
Most of this year's college grads were born in 1994.  That was the year of...

QuoteNationally, folks watched O.J. Simpson lead police on a chase in his white Ford Bronco. They didn't watch Major League Baseball, because the season was cancelled due to a players' strike. The NHL had a shortened season because of a strike.
...Susan Smith drowned her two young children in Union County, SC. Shannon Faulkner fought to become the first female cadet at The Citadel, but dropped out.

QuoteSouth Carolina Gamecocks won their first bowl game, with a 33-7 win over West Virginia in the Carquest Bowl. Steve Taneyhill was quarterback and it was Brad Scott's first season as coach.
Hootie and the Blowfish released "Cracked Rear View," which made them nationally famous.
Friends debuted on TV
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Boggit on May 04, 2016, 01:03:43 PM
I keep telling myself that age is a relative thing, and it's all about self perception. I've managed to convince myself too... ^-^ ;D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 01:07:27 PM
Sigh....you kids today......I was born in the waning days of the Eisenhower administration. I remember Bobby Kennedy and MLK being assassinated, I watched Apollo 11 land on the moon via an old black and white TV rolled into my elementary school classroom. Telephones with push buttons instead of rotary dials were the greatest invention ever. I watched every single Muhammad Ali fight broadcast live and my first concert was Elvis the year before he died. I paid $400 for my first car, a 1958 Bel Air that I drove into the ground and I'd give anything to have it back. And I've put 50 cents worth of gas into my car to get home.

Bite me. I still feel young   8)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on May 04, 2016, 01:14:03 PM
1994? I was already getting forgetful in 1994. But I was still young enough that I could play President and the Intern.  ::)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 05:09:01 PM
I was working at the Grand Union in a suburb of Albany as the bottle return guy, the salad bar guy, the cart guy and bagger. It was at that job where I first heard that Cobain killed himself. I was also a sophomore in college.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 04, 2016, 05:15:41 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 01:07:27 PM
Sigh....you kids today......I was born in the waning days of the Eisenhower administration. I remember Bobby Kennedy and MLK being assassinated, I watched Apollo 11 land on the moon via an old black and white TV rolled into my elementary school classroom. Telephones with push buttons instead of rotary dials were the greatest invention ever. I watched every single Muhammad Ali fight broadcast live and my first concert was Elvis the year before he died. I paid $400 for my first car, a 1958 Bel Air that I drove into the ground and I'd give anything to have it back. And I've put 50 cents worth of gas into my car to get home.

Bite me. I still feel young   8)


Well, at least you feel young.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 05:58:18 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 04, 2016, 05:15:41 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 01:07:27 PM
Sigh....you kids today......I was born in the waning days of the Eisenhower administration. I remember Bobby Kennedy and MLK being assassinated, I watched Apollo 11 land on the moon via an old black and white TV rolled into my elementary school classroom. Telephones with push buttons instead of rotary dials were the greatest invention ever. I watched every single Muhammad Ali fight broadcast live and my first concert was Elvis the year before he died. I paid $400 for my first car, a 1958 Bel Air that I drove into the ground and I'd give anything to have it back. And I've put 50 cents worth of gas into my car to get home.

Bite me. I still feel young   8)


Well, at least you feel young.

Ha! And I'm still hangin' with smartasses, just like back in the day   :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on May 04, 2016, 06:39:39 PM
I can relate Steelgrave. This site reminds me a lot of hanging-out at recess at Junior High. I tell the very same jokes to the same types as back then but just clean-up my language a bit. ;D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 04, 2016, 06:42:11 PM
I love it when you old timers ramble on
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 08:11:23 PM
^You're five years older than me Pops.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 04, 2016, 09:08:28 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 08:11:23 PM
^You're five years older than me Pops.

Be respectful of your elders, Frodo.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 09:21:29 PM
And ask your mom if she remembers my Bel Air. She should.....   ^-^
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 09:32:39 PM
Mom says hello, Dad.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 04, 2016, 09:42:20 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 09:32:39 PM
Mom says hello, Dad.

What about the Bel Air?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 09:47:51 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 04, 2016, 09:42:20 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 09:32:39 PM
Mom says hello, Dad.

What about the Bel Air?

Sooooo many things I could say, but I'm going to be good just to be different. It's not like me, I know!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 04, 2016, 09:51:51 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 09:47:51 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 04, 2016, 09:42:20 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 09:32:39 PM
Mom says hello, Dad.

What about the Bel Air?

Sooooo many things I could say, but I'm going to be good just to be different. It's not like me, I know!

We know. We've seen your Urban Dictionary entries.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 10:06:08 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 04, 2016, 09:51:51 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 04, 2016, 09:47:51 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 04, 2016, 09:42:20 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 09:32:39 PM
Mom says hello, Dad.

What about the Bel Air?

Sooooo many things I could say, but I'm going to be good just to be different. It's not like me, I know!

We know. We've seen your Urban Dictionary entries.

Ha!!!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on May 04, 2016, 10:23:04 PM
I had a 1964 Plymouth Fury-- first car in High School. We put a lot of miles on each other. Dad paid $500 for her and I put twice that much into her to keep her running. Both of us could go zero to 60 in under 20 seconds.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 05, 2016, 07:24:58 AM
Mom says she hopes you cleaned up the Bel Air.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Steelgrave on May 05, 2016, 08:11:21 AM
Quote from: Gusington on May 05, 2016, 07:24:58 AM
Mom says she hopes you cleaned up the Bel Air.

Had to torch it. My official story was I did it for the insurance money  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 16, 2016, 03:56:48 PM
This really hurts

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/top-gun-on-its-30th-anniversary-a-look-back-at-183443444.html
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: JudgeDredd on May 16, 2016, 04:24:54 PM
I absolutely LOVED Top Gun and still stick it on from time to time. Mainly because of the Tomcat (and no - that's not a sexy name for Tom Cruise - I'm talking about the plane).

But I still enjoyed the story. Shame about the ridiculous Migs and the fact there was absolutely no panic required by the fleet as the "Migs" clearly only had A2A weapons and no A2S missile capability  :idiot2:
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bob48 on May 16, 2016, 04:41:42 PM
'Multiple Bogies on your Six'
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 16, 2016, 05:11:29 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 16, 2016, 04:24:54 PM
I absolutely LOVED Top Gun and still stick it on from time to time. Mainly because of the Tomcat (and no - that's not a sexy name for Tom Cruise - I'm talking about the plane).

But I still enjoyed the story. Shame about the ridiculous Migs and the fact there was absolutely no panic required by the fleet as the "Migs" clearly only had A2A weapons and no A2S missile capability  :idiot2:

It's best not to analyze the movie too closely.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 16, 2016, 05:29:48 PM
Except for the volleyball scene, if you're Star.

Grrrrrrowl
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 16, 2016, 05:35:21 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 16, 2016, 05:29:48 PM
Except for the volleyball scene, if you're Star.

Grrrrrrowl

He's in Florida. He watches that live everyday.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 16, 2016, 05:38:42 PM
Grrrrrrrowl...playing with the boys indeed.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Arctic Blast on May 18, 2016, 01:56:25 PM
Ah, Top Gun. One of those movies that tried so hard to be macho that it actually came off as incredibly gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). Just like Days of Thunder and Roadhouse and a whole host of others.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on May 18, 2016, 02:12:19 PM
I Feel The Need. The Need.... to take a nap. But I USED to feel a need for speed.  :'(
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 19, 2016, 06:58:49 AM
Top Gun will always be one of my favorites despite its dripping with The Ghey. When I was 12 there was nothing cooler. I really hope the "sequel" coming out is halfway decent, or at least not nightmarish.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on May 19, 2016, 07:01:00 AM
Quote from: Gusington on May 19, 2016, 06:58:49 AM
Top Gun will always be one of my favorites despite its dripping with The Ghey. When I was 12 there was nothing cooler. I really hope the "sequel" coming out is halfway decent, or at least not nightmarish.

"Sequel"?

Oh no....
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 19, 2016, 01:53:01 PM
Yeah...Cruise is supposedly reprising his role as Maverick and is now the lead instructor at the school.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 26, 2016, 06:35:22 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.izismile.com%2Fimg%2Fimg8%2F20150721%2F640%2Fmorning_picdump_785_640_03.jpg&hash=8f3a69f605c8d5f18430c1181457a8c3a2faa1c3)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Barthheart on May 26, 2016, 09:38:55 PM
You basturd!  :'(
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on May 27, 2016, 11:21:07 AM
Quote from: Gusington on May 16, 2016, 05:38:42 PM
Grrrrrrrowl...playing with the boys indeed.

(https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/60732368.jpg)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on May 27, 2016, 11:21:37 AM
75 years ago today, the Bismark was sunk.

Bawb certainly has some stories to share...as does his stache.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 27, 2016, 11:23:27 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 27, 2016, 11:21:37 AM
75 years ago today, the Bismark was sunk.

Bawb certainly has some stories to share...as does his stache.

Strange battle. Bob serving in the Royal Navy, his stache in the Kriegsmarine.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on May 27, 2016, 12:55:02 PM
I'll have a drink for both of them.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 27, 2016, 12:59:46 PM
I'll have a drink for each of them.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bob48 on May 27, 2016, 02:39:56 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 27, 2016, 11:23:27 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 27, 2016, 11:21:37 AM
75 years ago today, the Bismark was sunk.

Bawb certainly has some stories to share...as does his stache.

Strange battle. Bob serving in the Royal Navy, his stache in the Kriegsmarine.

And, in a weird temporal quirk, both also serving in the RAF and Luftwaffe..........
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 27, 2016, 02:42:44 PM
Brother against brother, 'Stache against...Bawb
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bob48 on May 27, 2016, 02:46:07 PM
Infamy, Infamy, you've all got it in for me.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on May 27, 2016, 02:50:13 PM
Chur-chill out, Bawb. We respect history. And you, brother, you sure are history. :D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 27, 2016, 02:50:55 PM
The absolute zenith!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 27, 2016, 02:53:27 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 27, 2016, 02:50:55 PM
The absolute zenith!

Or nadir
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 27, 2016, 02:59:32 PM
I forget which, really.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 27, 2016, 03:04:32 PM
Safe money is on nadir.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 27, 2016, 04:15:33 PM
Isn't Nadir Bawb's trusty sidekick from 'The East?'
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on May 27, 2016, 05:57:46 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 27, 2016, 04:15:33 PM
Isn't Nadir Bawb's trusty sidekick from 'The East?'

OK, nasopharyngeal beer spew narrowly averted  ;D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on May 27, 2016, 09:20:41 PM
I'll try harder next time :)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on May 27, 2016, 09:30:33 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 27, 2016, 09:20:41 PM
I'll try harder next time :)

Tell it to yer wife.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on May 27, 2016, 10:10:59 PM
I thought Bawb was Nadir's sidekick from the west. I had a sidekick once. His name was, "Herman". He was a lizard that would crawl onto the window and watch me play Skyrim. He would always tell me to, "Look up, look up" as I played and then laugh his ass off whenever I stepped in a trap. He thought I was trying to get back at him when I told him to, "Look up Herman"! And didn't. And then that bird got him. Herman should've listened but.... do lizards even have ears? Maybe I should've used hand signals instead. Herman was my Nadir.  :'(
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bob48 on May 28, 2016, 02:11:41 PM
So that's where Herman went.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on May 28, 2016, 02:32:45 PM
Quote from: bob48 on May 28, 2016, 02:11:41 PM
So that's where Herman went.

No, no. That Hermann was chased off by a bird of prey which had been artificially limited to 950 knots.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on May 28, 2016, 02:44:12 PM
Stagger...for the win!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bbmike on May 28, 2016, 05:29:20 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on May 28, 2016, 02:32:45 PM
Quote from: bob48 on May 28, 2016, 02:11:41 PM
So that's where Herman went.

No, no. That Hermann was chased off by a bird of prey which had been artificially limited to 950 knots.

Was the bird of prey cloaked at the time?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: GDS_Starfury on May 28, 2016, 11:17:52 PM
yes but it was a bug not a feature.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 07, 2016, 06:55:57 PM
30th anniversary of Aliens on July 18th

http://www.avclub.com/article/aliens-celebrate-its-30th-anniversary-james-camero-239225
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on July 07, 2016, 09:23:29 PM
Is this another Bug-Hunt?  :P
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 07, 2016, 09:28:52 PM
I sure wouldn't mind getting some more of that Arcturian poontang
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 07, 2016, 10:45:50 PM
But yours was a MALE, mirth!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 08, 2016, 04:19:21 AM
Don't matter when its Arcturian, BC.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on July 08, 2016, 06:33:09 AM
Game over, man.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on July 08, 2016, 10:01:56 AM
That's got me thinking. Have they ever showed us how the Aliens do it? I mean all those eggs, there's GOT to be some bumping & grinding going on somewhere. Probably messy and loud I'm thinking. That Queen is too scary for me ever, even drunk and at closing-time. That tail of her's alone could make you non-gender in a hurry.  :P
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 08, 2016, 10:22:58 AM
Queen lays eggs, eggs produce face huggers, face huggers then need to inject baby alien into a living host. That's a shittier reproductive process than Star's.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 08, 2016, 12:01:13 PM
Think of how rough it is on the goats, never mind Star.  :)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on July 08, 2016, 06:37:53 PM
In Space... no one can hear you bleat...
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 13, 2016, 01:29:13 PM
another abuse of then'than, but the sentiment still holds

(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13669820_1458752160809033_8662323607949064365_n.jpg?oh=b449d6134f61490dae46ff135d5220e5&oe=5825717F)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 13, 2016, 01:40:32 PM
Jennifer Aniston is 47 years old.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Barthheart on July 13, 2016, 01:57:01 PM
Still hotter then any Kardashian.  O0
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 13, 2016, 01:59:09 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 13, 2016, 01:57:01 PM
Still hotter then any Kardashian.  O0

Agreed, but it's dangerous to say a woman is 50 when she's only 47 and looks 35.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 13, 2016, 02:24:26 PM
I think it's safe to say that a goat is hotter than a Kardashian. And has more of a lease on life than any of those wastes of space.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: acctingman on July 20, 2016, 08:42:37 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on January 26, 2016, 03:14:23 PM
I hear you BC. But look up man. Grandkids are the Bomb. They do all the dumb things you kids did that used to make you mad but now they're funny because their parents have to clean it up. Plus they'll tend to believe you over the parents when you tell them how tough it was to raise "Mom" or "Dad".

Did a grandparent just say the word "the Bomb"?

You aren't that old Sir Slash  O0
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 20, 2016, 08:52:50 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 13, 2016, 02:24:26 PM
I think it's safe to say that a goat is hotter than a Kardashian. And has more of a lease on life than any of those wastes of space.

I'll defer to our resident goat expert on that.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on July 20, 2016, 09:38:01 AM
I have earned my right to use out-of-date expressions like 'The Bomb' and 'You're Another One' because I am older than the dirt the dinosaurs were buried in. It also lets me get away with 'Talking Smack'- another old one- to young people and perusing a young girls figure with out getting my old, wrinkled ass kicked. Unless my wife is present.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on July 20, 2016, 07:41:00 PM
47th anniversary of the moon landing.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on July 20, 2016, 08:11:42 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 20, 2016, 07:41:00 PM
47th anniversary of the moon landing.



I watch it live.
In my feetypajamas.
On a B&W tv screen that was smaller than the window on my current microwave oven door.

My dad actually filmed a home movie of my mom and sister and I sitting there watching. Somewhere in my parents' attic the reel must still exist
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on July 20, 2016, 10:35:39 PM
That is really cool, Stagger.  You should seriously try to dig that up and get it digitized.

I've always loved space.  Thinking about the solar system and how we are going to get out there.  And when.  Can't wait for that to happen.  And my granddaughter told me she wants to be an astronomer.  I am so excited for her :)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on July 20, 2016, 10:41:25 PM
I saw it too live and in color-- my Dad had to have color TV. But of course it didn't matter because.... the telecast was in Black & White anyway. But we did get to see Walter Cronkite cry in color. I was 13. No feety pajamas.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on July 22, 2016, 09:43:04 PM
Slash you're only 60?? The way you talk I thought you were way older.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on July 22, 2016, 10:03:51 PM
It's not age young man but the mileage that counts. And of that, we should not speak. In Dog-Years, I'm 420. That's older than Bob's Bunions.  :-X
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 23, 2016, 09:21:15 AM
I was still a month away from being born when they landed. My mom told me several times she was convinced I was going to be born the day of the landing, so she was only a leeeeetle off.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on July 23, 2016, 09:29:26 AM
You all do realize the moon landing was faked, right?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on July 23, 2016, 10:27:52 AM
So?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bbmike on July 23, 2016, 11:34:45 AM
Quote from: mirth on July 23, 2016, 09:29:26 AM
You all do realize the moon landing was faked, right?

Considering the current state of our space program I'm beginning to think it would be less embarrassing if it had been faked.  ::)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on July 23, 2016, 01:40:26 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 23, 2016, 09:29:26 AM
You all do realize the moon landing was faked, right?

Don't say that too loud or Buzz Aldrin will punch you in the face:

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bob48 on July 23, 2016, 01:50:40 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 20, 2016, 08:11:42 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 20, 2016, 07:41:00 PM
47th anniversary of the moon landing.



I watch it live.
In my feetypajamas.
On a B&W tv screen that was smaller than the window on my current microwave oven door.

My dad actually filmed a home movie of my mom and sister and I sitting there watching. Somewhere in my parents' attic the reel must still exist

I watched it live in the dark room of the metallurgy lab where I worked as a technician at that time.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Greybriar on July 23, 2016, 01:53:31 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 20, 2016, 07:41:00 PM
47th anniversary of the moon landing.

Somebody had a television set in the barracks and I got a glimpse of the moon landing shortly before I was discharged from the army.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 28, 2016, 03:38:57 PM
Animal House is 38 years old today, and father to a kid like Flounder bombing his way through his freshman year
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bbmike on July 28, 2016, 04:32:31 PM
My invitation to join AARP arrived in the mail today.  :-\
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 28, 2016, 05:21:47 PM
I got one at age 32...
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 28, 2016, 05:23:11 PM
I haven't received one. But my wife has.  8)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on July 28, 2016, 06:43:05 PM
They turned me down. I was old enough but not 'crusty' enough in their opinion.  >:(
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 01, 2016, 10:25:18 AM
35 years of MTV

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/mtv-highs-lows-network-turns-35-article-1.2733919
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 01, 2016, 11:01:36 AM
12 years of M, 23 years of TV
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 01, 2016, 11:27:27 AM
I'm old enough to remember the M.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 01, 2016, 12:59:04 PM
I'm old enough to remember the first M. They only had about four music videos at the time that they played on endless loop.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 01, 2016, 02:24:10 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 01, 2016, 12:59:04 PM
I'm old enough to remember the first M. They only had about four music videos at the time that they played on endless loop.

That's the way it was and we liked it!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 01, 2016, 02:51:59 PM
I want my OLD MTV!  :'(
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: steve58 on August 01, 2016, 02:58:01 PM
Speaking of feeling old.  Weekend before last, my wife and I attended the wedding of my nephew who was but a bun in the oven at our wedding. :(  As we have no begats, I can only imagine what you GWKs (Grogs with Kids) feel when one of yours leaves the nest.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 01, 2016, 05:37:39 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 01, 2016, 12:59:04 PM
I'm old enough to remember the first M. They only had about four music videos at the time that they played on endless loop.

I remember Night Flight, on USA channel (IIRC). Back then there was little stylistic or thematic consistent. One minute they played Eddy Grant, the next it was Adrian Belew.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on August 01, 2016, 06:30:21 PM
I remember Night Flight.  But does anybody remember the video show that was on Nickelodeon?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bbmike on August 01, 2016, 07:56:43 PM
I remember Night Tracks on TBS.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 01, 2016, 08:06:54 PM
Up All Night?



THOSE 90s GRAPHICS THO
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: panzerde on August 01, 2016, 08:13:48 PM
I had completely forgotten that "Up All Night" existed. As soon as I saw the picture though I remembered...remembered too many nights when I really should have been asleep and probably considerably more sober!

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 01, 2016, 08:22:12 PM
What you said reminds me of Joe Bob Briggs' MonsterVision. For me, anyway.

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 01, 2016, 10:01:23 PM
Those were great shows back in the day after the bars closed and the drunks left the Clock restaurants to go home. They somehow were a lot more funny when you were drinking. Hmmmm....
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 01, 2016, 10:27:19 PM
[yt]https://youtu.be/CaTHpPGC-q8[/yt]
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 01, 2016, 10:42:41 PM
I remember watching this interview on closed circuit TV in Garmisch when we lived in post housing there, and we were out of range of AFN.  The kids going to Munich High used to bring home the previous night's AFN tape and whoever was watching the desk at the Kramer Lodge for the night was responsible for popping the tape in and letting it run for 6 hours.  So everyone got the same six hours of last night's AFN from 1800-midnight on their closed circuit channel in post housing.

[yt]https://youtu.be/W-Kb2NY_0LU[/yt]
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on August 01, 2016, 11:36:56 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 01, 2016, 06:30:21 PM
I remember Night Flight.  But does anybody remember the video show that was on Nickelodeon?

It was called 'Popclips' and predated MTV by six or so months.


http://mentalfloss.com/article/54929/11-nickelodeon-shows-80s-you-may-have-forgotten
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on August 03, 2016, 10:01:33 AM
26 years ago yesterday Iraq invaded Kuwait.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: panzerde on August 03, 2016, 10:08:19 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 03, 2016, 10:01:33 AM
26 years ago yesterday Iraq invaded Kuwait.


The thing that blows me away about that is that it's now been longer between now and the beginning of the first Gulf War than it was between Germany invading Poland and when I was born. The idea that the First Gulf War is as far in the past to kids today as WWII was to me...amazing.

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 03, 2016, 10:39:47 AM
Saddam's invasion of Kuwait completely torpedoed the plans my parents had to take me to college that summer.  Instead of a big road trip, mom and I repacked everything into 2 medium-size moving boxes and checked them at the airport and flew out to school.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 18, 2016, 01:56:01 PM
Redford is 80

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/happy-80th-birthday-robert-redford-out-africa-sting-more-his-best-movies-1576717
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: panzerde on August 18, 2016, 02:52:34 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 18, 2016, 01:56:01 PM
Redford is 80

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/happy-80th-birthday-robert-redford-out-africa-sting-more-his-best-movies-1576717 (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/happy-80th-birthday-robert-redford-out-africa-sting-more-his-best-movies-1576717)


:o
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 18, 2016, 06:12:56 PM
My dad turns 80 in a few months. That is even more scary...  :o
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bbmike on August 18, 2016, 06:16:37 PM
My dad's 82.  :(
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on August 18, 2016, 08:22:05 PM
My dad is 69.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 19, 2016, 04:46:33 AM
10 years since Snakes on a Plane

http://www.avclub.com/article/read-its-been-10-motherfucking-years-snakes-plane-241324
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 19, 2016, 05:27:29 AM
Spin Doctors are eligible for the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 19, 2016, 05:38:47 AM
IIRC, so are the Smashing Pumpkins...
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 19, 2016, 05:58:54 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 19, 2016, 05:27:29 AM
Spin Doctors are eligible for the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame.

Spin Doctors were a rock band?!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 19, 2016, 06:21:56 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 19, 2016, 05:38:47 AM
IIRC, so are the Smashing Pumpkins...
Yes, but there's actually an outside chance of them making it.


Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2016, 05:58:54 AMSpin Doctors were a rock band?!

You would know, weren't you their bassist?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 19, 2016, 07:28:48 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 19, 2016, 06:21:56 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2016, 05:58:54 AMSpin Doctors were a rock band?!

You would know, weren't you their bassist?

I did wear Bass shoes for a time in the 90s.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 19, 2016, 07:05:01 PM
I liked the Spin Doctors. From about May to July 1994. I got their CD on sale at Target. My wife looked at me like I was nuts but then she realized she liked them too, for about the same amount of time.

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bbmike on August 19, 2016, 07:31:01 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2016, 07:28:48 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 19, 2016, 06:21:56 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2016, 05:58:54 AMSpin Doctors were a rock band?!

You would know, weren't you their bassist?

I did wear Bass shoes for a time in the 90s.

Did they compliment the Members Only jacket?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 19, 2016, 07:52:53 PM
I had a members-only jacket back around 1980, a few years before they were popular. I wore the jacket to school and the jockabillies joked and asked if it was some kind of bondage gear. I assured them that it was and they were real quiet after that, though one later asked me where I got it when the others weren't around.





Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on August 19, 2016, 10:19:38 PM
Quote from: bbmike on August 19, 2016, 07:31:01 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2016, 07:28:48 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 19, 2016, 06:21:56 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2016, 05:58:54 AMSpin Doctors were a rock band?!

You would know, weren't you their bassist?

I did wear Bass shoes for a time in the 90s.

Did they compliment the Members Only jacket?

And the tweed cap.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: panzerde on August 19, 2016, 10:24:09 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2016, 10:19:38 PM
Quote from: bbmike on August 19, 2016, 07:31:01 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2016, 07:28:48 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 19, 2016, 06:21:56 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2016, 05:58:54 AMSpin Doctors were a rock band?!

You would know, weren't you their bassist?

I did wear Bass shoes for a time in the 90s.

Did they compliment the Members Only jacket?

And the tweed cap.


I'll cop to a tweed cap. But no way would I have worn a Member's Only jacket.



Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 23, 2016, 05:07:08 AM
(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14054089_10157148479395012_6649468605212517789_n.jpg?oh=bb42ff4f460bcda70bc5ff2c82a6ef17&oe=584D66D6)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on August 23, 2016, 05:41:37 AM
^ Are they learning that it was a conspiracy perpetrated by a cabal consisting of Mossad, The New Jersey Turnpike Authority, and Walmart's housewares acquisition department?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on August 23, 2016, 10:06:11 AM
I thought it was Trump making way for a new hotel.  ;D
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 01, 2016, 05:02:11 AM
(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14055194_1158862337503155_5214591341247836214_n.jpg?oh=1437f2ed9f5bd55f9921bd3852db1be1&oe=583FF188)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 01, 2016, 05:50:04 AM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flayer-infinity.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F03%2F80smeme.jpg&hash=f0ca32a9c1a57e60eb88cc4acff246d54f1515c4)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 01, 2016, 06:14:07 AM
Nooks are soooooooo 2011....
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on September 01, 2016, 06:22:35 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 01, 2016, 06:14:07 AM
Nooks are soooooooo 2011....

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmemecrunch.com%2Fmeme%2FOTU7%2Fhipster-meme%2Fimage.jpg&hash=f794ce926359869f8d4c55990d8857d49e2929f3)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 01, 2016, 08:41:42 AM
South Park is about to hit 20 years.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on September 01, 2016, 08:54:11 AM
Now those kids are finally old enough to use that kind of language.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on September 08, 2016, 11:00:58 PM
Star Trek's 50 years old tonight. Damn!  :-\
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 09, 2016, 05:29:28 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 08, 2016, 11:00:58 PM
Star Trek's 50 years old tonight. Damn!  :-\

(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14222317_1221648424560647_362517621323197801_n.jpg?oh=2619a5cd36c50b4383bd4030b583b25f&oe=58850D18)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on September 09, 2016, 10:20:05 AM
Damn, it's in 'Color' too!  :o
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Windigo on September 09, 2016, 02:17:47 PM
playing a no-nonsense space ship captain??????????
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: DoctorQuest on September 09, 2016, 02:47:40 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 09, 2016, 10:20:05 AM
Damn, it's in 'Color' too!  :o

You know that's right. I had to go across the street to my best friend Mike's house to watch the premiere. They had a color TV and we didn't.

I was hooked.

And "laser beam guns"???????? Idiot.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on September 09, 2016, 04:11:59 PM
By 'colored' food did they mean...black?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on September 09, 2016, 04:39:08 PM
Probably the blue Romulan ale.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: panzerde on September 09, 2016, 04:56:21 PM
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on September 09, 2016, 05:22:33 PM
Ha!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on September 09, 2016, 10:13:24 PM
Like the Orion Slave Girl-- green. And Spock's blood. Wait a minute. You don't think they were drinking....?  Nurse Chapel did try to get Spock in the Sick Bay every time she could. Maybe she had a whole bunch of Spock Plasma left laying around, and that Scotty would take a shot of anything. So.... :o
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 15, 2016, 07:35:58 AM
(https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14117787_627064367465466_3793207643915446039_n.jpg?oh=c8f8fb0a5005d7d4b09b80732158f582&oe=58760270)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on September 15, 2016, 11:14:41 AM
And there was only ONE ring-tone. RIIIINNNGG!  :o
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bob48 on September 15, 2016, 02:05:54 PM
Astounding! - you had it sounding exactly right.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: panzerde on September 15, 2016, 02:11:16 PM
Huh. Ours went "Rrrriiiinnnnggg! Rrrrriiiinnngggg! Would one of you kids answer the g_ddamn phone?"


It only started doing that when we were teenagers, though.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bob48 on September 15, 2016, 02:12:21 PM
That was uncanny, Doug. I almost went to answer it there for a moment.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on September 15, 2016, 09:49:54 PM
My Father used to yell, "Would one of you kids answer Doug's G-d Damn phone"?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: panzerde on September 15, 2016, 09:56:23 PM
See, I knew that was a new ring tone they came up with when I was in my teens!



Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 24, 2016, 06:00:47 AM
This weekend is the 25th anniversary of the release of Nirvana's Nevermind
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Bison on September 24, 2016, 08:32:11 AM
So what does teen spirit smell like now? 
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MetalDog on September 24, 2016, 08:43:54 AM
Corpse rot.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Bison on September 24, 2016, 08:49:50 AM
the kids asked me if was alive when Elvis was alive...yes...that's old... :( ...go to your room.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on September 24, 2016, 09:57:41 AM
Ouch. That hurts Bison.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Greybriar on September 24, 2016, 10:31:38 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on September 24, 2016, 08:43:54 AM
Corpse rot.

I thought it was crotch rot. ;)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Windigo on September 26, 2016, 10:29:59 AM
Quote from: Bison on September 24, 2016, 08:32:11 AM
So what does teen spirit smell like now?

weed
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on September 26, 2016, 10:46:26 AM
Here's the same kid from the album cover, recreating the picture today

(https://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/screen-shot-2016-09-24-at-4-00-49-pm.png?w=807)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: ghostryder on September 27, 2016, 12:57:38 AM
I remember smoking on a plane-and I have 9 grand kids-and my youngest kid is 33.

To feel old I just re-read the above  :P
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Barthheart on October 07, 2016, 02:06:06 PM
(https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/sht-happens-sometimes-215.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=600)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on October 07, 2016, 11:22:49 PM
Put the kid in the creek.  :-X
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MikeGER on October 08, 2016, 03:51:03 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on October 07, 2016, 02:06:06 PM
(https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/sht-happens-sometimes-215.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=600)

Ahh...tell the kid that its possibly an older type droid junk item from the Clone Wars >:D
where skirmishes touched also this arm of the galaxy and maybe our planet long before God created Adam and Eve and the dinosaurs n stuff here 6000 year ago, and the droid seemed to have belonged to LieNerd SkyNerd (Lynyrd Skynyrd, nyrd old writing form for nerd) who must have been some far relative of the famous Skywalker family... 
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: nelmsm on October 10, 2016, 05:38:20 PM
Been fun catching up on this thread. If I want to piss the wife off I just remind her I  was born in the fifties, even if there were only 5 months left of it. Can't believe none of you old timers that only had black and white TVs that you were your fathers remote control when he wanted to switch between the three or channels you had.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Gusington on October 10, 2016, 05:38:49 PM
1850s?
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on October 10, 2016, 06:38:34 PM
Yes, I was my Father's remote control channel and volume changer even after I had gone to bed. The really bad part was when he was trying to watch 2 football games at the same time.  8)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 10, 2016, 06:49:41 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 10, 2016, 06:38:34 PMThe really bad part was when he was trying to watch 2 football games at the same time.  8)


Wait, I thought Teddy Roosevelt had suspended football games back then!
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: panzerde on October 10, 2016, 06:57:22 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 10, 2016, 06:49:41 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 10, 2016, 06:38:34 PMThe really bad part was when he was trying to watch 2 football games at the same time.  8)


Wait, I thought Teddy Roosevelt had suspended football games back then!


Only for a few months right after the McKinley assassination. We were allowed to play the next season.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on October 10, 2016, 07:40:02 PM
Quote from: panzerde on October 10, 2016, 06:57:22 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 10, 2016, 06:49:41 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 10, 2016, 06:38:34 PMThe really bad part was when he was trying to watch 2 football games at the same time.  8)


Wait, I thought Teddy Roosevelt had suspended football games back then!


Only for a few months right after the McKinley assassination. We were allowed to play the next season.

You young'un got to have all the fun. All we got to do was pile big blocks on each other until Pharaoh said we were done.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on October 10, 2016, 10:35:04 PM
And Pharaoh NEVER had enough rocks.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 11, 2016, 05:27:32 AM
[yt]https://youtu.be/x7LcZvEfbk8[/yt]
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on October 11, 2016, 09:17:52 AM
GOOD TIMES!!! Thanks for the trip back to my younger days. Mannequins were so much hotter in those days.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on October 31, 2016, 11:20:56 AM
25 years since The Perfect Storm (the actual event, not the movie)

https://weather.com/news/weather/news/perfect-storm-halloween-blizzard-1991 (https://weather.com/news/weather/news/perfect-storm-halloween-blizzard-1991)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Martok on October 31, 2016, 04:26:39 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 31, 2016, 11:20:56 AM
25 years since The Perfect Storm (the actual event, not the movie)

https://weather.com/news/weather/news/perfect-storm-halloween-blizzard-1991 (https://weather.com/news/weather/news/perfect-storm-halloween-blizzard-1991)
I remember my mom driving us kids home that evening (from piano lessons, maybe?).  It's normally only a 15-minute drive, but it took over 40 that night.  We were all scared shitless, my mom included. 

Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on October 31, 2016, 04:33:24 PM
I remember it being a big deal on the coast, but not much of a problem where I was inland.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 31, 2016, 07:24:13 PM
Toonces is still pissed that the last big surf day in New England was 25 years ago
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 02, 2016, 06:27:06 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 31, 2016, 07:24:13 PM
Toonces is still pissed that the last big surf day in New England was 25 years ago

FTFY
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Staggerwing on November 02, 2016, 06:37:17 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 31, 2016, 04:33:24 PM
I remember it being a big deal on the coast, but not much of a problem where I was inland.

I drove from Connecticut to Gloucester with a friend that night. We went to visit some friends of my friend and got there late. The whole place was a mess the next day, lots of debris everywhere. We had no idea then how bad it eventually turned out to be all over.
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on November 20, 2016, 09:43:07 AM
23 years since Nirvana's Unplugged set.



http://thefederalist.com/2016/11/20/23-years-ago-nirvana-made-one-best-live-albums-ever/ (http://thefederalist.com/2016/11/20/23-years-ago-nirvana-made-one-best-live-albums-ever/)
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: mirth on November 23, 2016, 11:53:37 AM
Toy Story is old enough to drink

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/toy-story-1995-review-i-original-movie-949959
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: Sir Slash on November 23, 2016, 01:01:51 PM
OK. I'll say it first. It will last to.... "Infinity and Beyond".  :hide:
Title: Re: "Feeling Old" 2016 Edition
Post by: MengJiao on November 23, 2016, 05:19:33 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 26, 2016, 10:46:26 AM
Here's the same kid from the album cover, recreating the picture today

(https://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/screen-shot-2016-09-24-at-4-00-49-pm.png?w=807)

Okay...by far the funniest thing I've seen all day.