GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on January 25, 2015, 02:16:07 PM

Title: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 25, 2015, 02:16:07 PM
Release date is 2/25/15...looks awesome!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244160?snr=1_41_4__42 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/244160?snr=1_41_4__42)

Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Anguille on January 25, 2015, 02:20:32 PM
yeah...must buy
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on January 25, 2015, 02:24:26 PM
Was just on my way here to post this. I'm pre-ordering this one.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mirth on January 25, 2015, 02:36:14 PM
That should be the end of my no new games pledge.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on January 25, 2015, 02:38:56 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 25, 2015, 02:36:14 PM
That should be the end of my no new games pledge.

Wait - did you already own these games in the original version? If so, you aren't really buying a new game, you're just "refreshing" an already existing purchase!  ;)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 02:40:02 PM
Just saw this...I knew there would be a lot of GIGGITY about it here. Buying ASAP, of course :)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: bob48 on January 25, 2015, 02:41:08 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 25, 2015, 02:38:56 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 25, 2015, 02:36:14 PM
That should be the end of my no new games pledge.

Wait - did you already own these games in the original version? If so, you aren't really buying a new game, you're just "refreshing" an already existing purchase!  ;)

Ha! Lateral thinking. Well done, that man.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on January 25, 2015, 02:45:54 PM
I hate reading about games I can't buy right now
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 02:47:22 PM
I don't like that it's released just a week after Attila. What to do?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mirth on January 25, 2015, 02:48:45 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 25, 2015, 02:38:56 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 25, 2015, 02:36:14 PM
That should be the end of my no new games pledge.

Wait - did you already own these games in the original version? If so, you aren't really buying a new game, you're just "refreshing" an already existing purchase!  ;)


Excellent thinking! I'm in the clear :P
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 02:58:21 PM
I see that panzerde has already bought it. Now I don't feel as terrible. Not that I felt that terrible to begin with.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 03:04:15 PM
I just punched myself in the jaw with my iwn boner.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 25, 2015, 03:06:21 PM
This next month is going to be brutile for purchases...this game, command ops, Black Sea, Attila, ootp likely pre order, and very likely to buy World War II europe....may have to stay away from these forums awhile....and I thought it would be a slow start to the year:(
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 03:06:37 PM
I'm feeling faint...
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 03:07:12 PM
Stay here and we promise not to describe how awesome the upcoming releases are. Pinky swear.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Bison on January 25, 2015, 03:07:36 PM
I haven't been overly impressed with any of the HD Remastered games TBH.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 03:07:55 PM
So ya'll are up for multiplayer with this?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Bison on January 25, 2015, 03:08:29 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 03:07:55 PM
So ya'll are up for multiplayer with this?

You writing a review or something?  :)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 03:12:03 PM
No, I'm looking to kick the shit out of ya'll.   :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Bison on January 25, 2015, 03:13:21 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 03:12:03 PM
No, I'm looking to kick the shit out of ya'll.   :knuppel2:

I'll play a game of Panthers in the Fog with you.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mirth on January 25, 2015, 03:16:56 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 25, 2015, 03:08:29 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 03:07:55 PM
So ya'll are up for multiplayer with this?

You writing a review or something?  :)

Of the originals
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 03:18:32 PM
The newly HD'd Age of Empires left me cold, but Homeworld ain't Age of Empires.

And plus I just bought it, so suck it.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Bison on January 25, 2015, 03:19:06 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 25, 2015, 03:16:56 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 25, 2015, 03:08:29 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 03:07:55 PM
So ya'll are up for multiplayer with this?

You writing a review or something?  :)

Of the originals

It takes time.  I can dig his pursuit of writing perfection.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Bison on January 25, 2015, 03:20:16 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 03:18:32 PM
The newly HD'd Age of Empires left me cold, but Homeworld ain't Age of Empires.

And plus I just bought it, so suck it.
Fiesty!  I double dog dare you to say that to....well on second thought she'd just kick your ass.  Better keep this one a secret brother.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: RooksBailey on January 25, 2015, 03:20:40 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 25, 2015, 02:16:07 PM
Release date is 2/25/15...looks awesome!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244160?snr=1_41_4__42 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/244160?snr=1_41_4__42)

Wow, thanks for the heads up.  I was just wondering what happened to this.  I thought maybe they abandoned the project.

Definite buy for me.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 03:22:41 PM
I went a bit bug nutty lately on Amazon, which included a purchase for The Wife (car battery self charger) and a book or two for the kids, plus some CDs and a book for me, plus running shoes and now Homeworld. I promise not to make another purchase until I see something else I want :/
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: sandman2575 on January 25, 2015, 04:52:31 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 03:22:41 PM
I promise not to make another purchase until I see something else I want :/

words to live by   8)

I've steered clear so far of the "enhanced / remastered" trend for reissuing classic games -- but this looks like a Must Have.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 05:09:09 PM
I honestly think its one of the top 10 pc games of all time.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mirth on January 25, 2015, 05:36:51 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 05:09:09 PM
I honestly think its one of the top 10 pc games of all time.

Panthers in the Fog?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Staggerwing on January 25, 2015, 05:40:25 PM
The remaster looks good. Did the original have MP? I'm too lazy to go look through my old games crates right now.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Bison on January 25, 2015, 06:41:40 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 25, 2015, 05:36:51 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 05:09:09 PM
I honestly think its one of the top 10 pc games of all time.

Panthers in the Fog?

That game was so awesome he's still searching for the words to describe it.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 08:15:16 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 25, 2015, 05:36:51 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 05:09:09 PM
I honestly think its one of the top 10 pc games of all time.

Panthers in the Fog?

dont be stupid.  pitf was horrible.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on January 25, 2015, 08:16:07 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 08:15:16 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 25, 2015, 05:36:51 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 05:09:09 PM
I honestly think its one of the top 10 pc games of all time.

Panthers in the Fog?

dont be stupid.  pitf was horrible.


It's all that damn fog.  :P
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mirth on January 25, 2015, 08:21:14 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 08:15:16 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 25, 2015, 05:36:51 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 05:09:09 PM
I honestly think its one of the top 10 pc games of all time.

Panthers in the Fog?

dont be stupid.  pitf was horrible.

Finally! Your review!
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on January 25, 2015, 08:31:12 PM
It's a little wordy.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 09:22:35 PM
I was feeling verbose at the moment.

back to a redone HW.  I really hope the first one is redone with HW2s interface and I cant wait to see the new models up close.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 09:26:46 PM
why has no other 3d space rts gotten it so right since then?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.moddb.com%2Fimages%2Fmods%2F1%2F19%2F18530%2Fss00258.jpg&hash=d9588d24de0c92d9373a867f4ae07a1900e3e88f)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.moddb.com%2Fimages%2Fmods%2F1%2F19%2F18530%2Fss00017.1.jpg&hash=7e3e1993a36860eefbb1aa2969fa334446731560)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: sandman2575 on January 25, 2015, 09:33:35 PM
^ have to agree -- the only one that comes close in my book is Sins of a Solar Empire -- which is a superb game, but somehow lacks the space-opera epic-ness of Homeworld.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 09:42:30 PM
the ship designs make sense.
the backrounds are a near perfect balance on color and interest.
the interface and camera are the easiest Ive ever seen for controlling something so complex.
I used to LOVE setting up an attack and then going into pilot mode.

funny story.... the current pc that Im using I built this spring.  I fried 2 cpus before getting the bios and setting right and both times I was bench testing HW2 when the temp ran away.  I've since solved the problem and didnt have to pay for the nuked chips.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: JasonPratt on January 25, 2015, 10:21:13 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 25, 2015, 02:38:56 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 25, 2015, 02:36:14 PM
That should be the end of my no new games pledge.

Wait - did you already own these games in the original version? If so, you aren't really buying a new game, you're just "refreshing" an already existing purchase!  ;)

I came here to say something similar.  ;D


On the other hand, if Catacalysm ;) isn't included, I may be able to wait a year. (I see 1 and 2, but no mention of HW:Cata.)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 10:29:49 PM
I loved the mechanics but not the ship design in Cata. 

ooooh... but the siege gun!  :smitten:
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on January 25, 2015, 11:01:05 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 09:26:46 PM
why has no other 3d space rts gotten it so right since then?

Worse, I don't think anyone has even come close. It all just comes together so well in these games. I'm not a big RTS player, and don't care much for base building, but these games will always have a place on my computer.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 11:09:20 PM
so many amazing custom maps.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: FlickJax on January 26, 2015, 05:03:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpxPtX5MQkI
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on January 26, 2015, 08:25:57 AM
Never played this but it looks really nice.  I'm drawn to the massive space battles.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: undercovergeek on January 26, 2015, 09:06:07 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on January 26, 2015, 05:03:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpxPtX5MQkI

the scene at the 5 min mark is awesome - have to say it didnt grab me as much as you guys but i may revisit
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on January 26, 2015, 09:13:29 AM
What? Shut up and buy it now. Now!
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: undercovergeek on January 26, 2015, 09:19:57 AM
lol - ok, ok

im thinking seriously about it, hows that
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on January 26, 2015, 09:22:09 AM
Now!!!

Do it.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: bob48 on January 26, 2015, 09:24:06 AM
It looks very cool. I used to play the original, many moons ago.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: undercovergeek on January 26, 2015, 09:29:10 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 26, 2015, 09:22:09 AM
Now!!!

Do it.

my game cup runneth over - itll just stare at me on steam and make me sad

i sense you passing your purchase guilt on to me
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on January 26, 2015, 12:15:19 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 25, 2015, 03:07:55 PM
So ya'll are up for multiplayer with this?

I'm thinking you're going to have to hold a war college to help us get up to speed.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on January 26, 2015, 06:28:49 PM
With female cheerleaders?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on January 26, 2015, 08:32:05 PM
So freakin' beautiful...
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on January 26, 2015, 08:49:45 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 26, 2015, 06:28:49 PM
With female cheerleaders?

Naturally.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 27, 2015, 11:39:38 PM
this is from a recent mod and not the remastered game but DAYUM it looks good!
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: bob48 on January 28, 2015, 05:56:50 AM
Impressive!
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Martok on February 04, 2015, 03:52:37 PM
Like Alpha Centauri, this was a game I once owned, but for reasons I can only guess at -- and would probably cause me to cringe even if I did/could remember -- I ended up either losing or selling (not sure which at this point).  So I'll almost certainly be picking up the remastered version as well. 

Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 04, 2015, 04:02:43 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 27, 2015, 11:39:38 PM
this is from a recent mod and not the remastered game but DAYUM it looks good!


They seem so angry at each other... :'(
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 05, 2015, 02:19:24 AM
This does look cool...but I'm pretty sure when I first played Homeworld I found it pretty frenetic...and I ain't any younger or sharper now!!
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Rayfer on February 05, 2015, 07:54:51 AM
I never owned or played the game but I remember reading a review back when it came out that said the game was incredibly difficult, so much so that many players gave up on it and moved on. Any truth to this?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 05, 2015, 08:15:19 AM
I found it to be pretty easy to get a grasp of.  so much so that its my benchmark for 3d camera control and GUI.
the thing to remember is that the AI is good enough to be left alone to do its thing while you pay attention to something else.  thats how you avoid the RTS overload.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 05, 2015, 08:17:43 AM
if you can play the Total War series you can play this.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Kushan on February 05, 2015, 08:21:32 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 05, 2015, 07:54:51 AM
I never owned or played the game but I remember reading a review back when it came out that said the game was incredibly difficult, so much so that many players gave up on it and moved on. Any truth to this?

Because of its persistent nature the single player campaign could be damn near impossible if you didn't build the right units or mine every asteroid in a previous mission.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 05, 2015, 09:01:24 AM
both games had trigger points that advanced during a level that you learn pretty quickly to avoid.  O0
I had one campaign in the first game where I stole just about every ship on every level.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: JasonPratt on February 05, 2015, 02:31:53 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 05, 2015, 07:54:51 AM
I never owned or played the game but I remember reading a review back when it came out that said the game was incredibly difficult, so much so that many players gave up on it and moved on. Any truth to this?

I haven't finished many RTS campaigns, but I finished HW1 (though I never got around to buying the expansion or HW2). So it couldn't have been that hard. ;)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: glen55 on February 06, 2015, 03:08:33 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 05, 2015, 02:19:24 AM
This does look cool...but I'm pretty sure when I first played Homeworld I found it pretty frenetic...and I ain't any younger or sharper now!!

I had the same experience.  And didn't they have those units that would attack your ship and convert it to theirs?  Like the #$!% priests in Age of Empire?  I hated that super-gamey hogwash.

Anyway, I never had the Homeworld love affair, but maybe I just didn't give it a fair chance.  It did, as I recall, include the essential element that makes RTS games playable: the ability to fully use the interface, including giving orders, while paused.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 07, 2015, 10:35:23 AM
in the first game you used salvage corvettes to take over ships and in the second game you had Marine boarding ships.  both were pretty useless in multiplayer but were pretty important in the solo campaign.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 08, 2015, 09:03:09 AM
Is HW only campaign/mission oriented or does it also include some kind of random sandbox mode?  Is replayability good regardless of which method included?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 08, 2015, 10:34:45 AM
there are hundreds of custom maps for solo and multiplayer.  I dont know if theyll be compatible right away or not but the modding community will make short work of that.  Im also sure the bigger and best received mods will be converted over.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Con on February 08, 2015, 12:55:43 PM
A little comparison of the old versus the new



Con
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 08, 2015, 01:52:21 PM
Looking good has never been one of Homeworlds problems.  :smitten:
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: sandman2575 on February 08, 2015, 04:26:50 PM
impressive...most impressive...   :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on February 24, 2015, 09:37:33 PM
Well, it's out tomorrow and I'm buying. Been looking forward to this for a long time. No other game can scratch that real time space combat itch
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 24, 2015, 09:47:46 PM
Still on the fence myself...but will be watching....
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on February 24, 2015, 10:48:18 PM
Preloaded tonight :)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 24, 2015, 11:16:23 PM
I await your questions.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 05:31:17 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 24, 2015, 11:16:23 PM
I await your questions.

How is the change to homosexuality working out for you?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: undercovergeek on February 25, 2015, 07:51:46 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 05:31:17 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 24, 2015, 11:16:23 PM
I await your questions.

How is the change to homosexuality working out for you?

<<dr pepper down face>>
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on February 25, 2015, 08:46:02 AM
I think the question was aimed at Star but now that you've outed yourself...
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: MikeGER on February 25, 2015, 09:04:12 AM
....i would have bought it sooner or later anyway (planed to do at one of those Steam sales) so why not today
preloading :-) 
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: undercovergeek on February 25, 2015, 09:10:22 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 25, 2015, 08:46:02 AM
I think the question was aimed at Star but now that you've outed yourself...

lol i know, i just didnt expect it when i read it!
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on February 25, 2015, 10:51:43 AM
If one could just "change" on demand I would have done it years ago. Truthfully, at my age I have to think that lifestyle is a lot less stressful than what I put up with now. Like a sportscar, girls were awesome when you first got into them...now you still love to ride but the maintenance is becoming a pain.

****awkward silence on thread*****
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: JudgeDredd on February 25, 2015, 11:02:53 AM
HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Any impressions or are we just talking sexuality now?  :P
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on February 25, 2015, 11:10:12 AM
Just sexuality...
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on February 25, 2015, 11:10:41 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 25, 2015, 11:02:53 AM
HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Any impressions or are we just talking sexuality now?  :P

All threads are discussions of sexuality. Some are are more overt than others.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 25, 2015, 11:35:22 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 05:31:17 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 24, 2015, 11:16:23 PM
I await your questions.

How is the change to homosexuality working out for you?

its vastly improved my wardrobe.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on February 25, 2015, 01:40:53 PM
Well we learned something new about mikeck anyway. I'll notify the proper authorities.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on February 25, 2015, 02:19:13 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 25, 2015, 01:40:53 PM
Well we learned something new about mikeck anyway. I'll notify the proper authorities.

Star's hotel room is going to get crowded...
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on February 25, 2015, 08:16:56 PM
It's a suite.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
The game is still beautiful. Still full of style. Still superb. Still frighteningly difficult. It totally holds up, which shows just how far ahead of its time the game was when it was first released. Its been so long since I played the unmodded original that it is hard to compare how improved the graphics are...suffice it to say, it looks great.

There is this element of WH40K where the Imperium has forgotten how to construct certain technologies, such as Titans. I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense. However, look at Homewold. It is so perfect and it was made so long ago, yet NOBODY has succeeded in making a game nearly as good, or really even come too close to it, for that matter. Its as if game developers simply forgot how to do it...
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on February 25, 2015, 09:44:43 PM
^I've said it before and I'll say it again...you are a hopeless romantic.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on February 25, 2015, 11:24:14 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
There is this element of WH40K where the Imperium has forgotten how to construct certain technologies, such as Titans. I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense. However, look at Homewold.

I'm afraid it's possible. For a long time historians were aware of Greek Fire but were unable to recreate it. True Damascus Steel was also unknown for centuries.

IIRC a few weeks back I ran across an article which discussed how there are computer programs in the US government which are still active and running real applications for which we have virtually forgotten how to program them. In another generation that knowledge won't be lost...but in five it might very well could be.

It is not implausible to suggest that things we know today can and will be forgotten - things that we take for granted and are highly useful. They can range the gamut - from metallurgy to medicine to mainframe computing.

article on nearly lost tech: https://www.atr.org/irs-chief-we-still-have-applications-were-running-when-jfk-was-president
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 25, 2015, 11:27:27 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense.

consider that Iran has had F-14s for 30 years and still can't make new ones.

JH, during battles are you using the F hotkeys for battle groups and the strategic screen to move around rapidly?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on February 25, 2015, 11:37:36 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 25, 2015, 11:27:27 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense.

consider that Iran has had F-14s for 30 years and still can't make new ones.

Excellent point.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: MikeGER on February 26, 2015, 03:53:19 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense.

...we are almost there in a decade or two from now with even more highly automated fabrications of consumer goods (lets say a mass-market smart phone) which also will include more and more complex 3D printing of components on the spot in the factory (i guess first probably in South Korea)
All the necessary information, construction plans, PLC-control codes and all such is stored max-encrypted in a cloud 'somewhere on the globe' and the poor local technician in the factory only know how to relace spare parts/modules of broken production equipment (looking through his augment reality glasses which explain how-to) replacing a vale, or a broken socket and plug in cables ...and the few workers left just fill up the basic resources and help in the logistic chain, where robots are to expensive to let them do that tasks too because labor is cheep

simple consumer products will maybe even 3D printed at everybodys (rich nations) home or overnight by local 3D-printer-shops and the (encrypted while coprighted) plans can still be used even when the inventor, who once programed them, is long retiered ...or suddenly fall victim to a natural disaster/war/etc...   

JH which graphics settings do you use to get the promotion video shiny results?
i am still fiddling   
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: undercovergeek on February 26, 2015, 06:05:30 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
The game is still beautiful. Still full of style. Still superb. Still frighteningly difficult. It totally holds up, which shows just how far ahead of its time the game was when it was first released. Its been so long since I played the unmodded original that it is hard to compare how improved the graphics are...suffice it to say, it looks great.

There is this element of WH40K where the Imperium has forgotten how to construct certain technologies, such as Titans. I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense. However, look at Homewold. It is so perfect and it was made so long ago, yet NOBODY has succeeded in making a game nearly as good, or really even come too close to it, for that matter. Its as if game developers simply forgot how to do it...

RPS talks some sense at last.............

"I'm not sure the Homeworld games were first built with the expectation that they'd stand the test of time like this, but because there was so much care, because there's been nothing quite like them since, and because the remastering has been sensitive, this package comes across as beautifully timeless, and as essential as real-time strategy gets. Welcome home."
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 26, 2015, 06:28:47 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on February 25, 2015, 11:24:14 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
There is this element of WH40K where the Imperium has forgotten how to construct certain technologies, such as Titans. I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense. However, look at Homewold.

I'm afraid it's possible. For a long time historians were aware of Greek Fire but were unable to recreate it. True Damascus Steel was also unknown for centuries.

IIRC a few weeks back I ran across an article which discussed how there are computer programs in the US government which are still active and running real applications for which we have virtually forgotten how to program them. In another generation that knowledge won't be lost...but in five it might very well could be.

It is not implausible to suggest that things we know today can and will be forgotten - things that we take for granted and are highly useful. They can range the gamut - from metallurgy to medicine to mainframe computing.

article on nearly lost tech: https://www.atr.org/irs-chief-we-still-have-applications-were-running-when-jfk-was-president

Uh. Yeah. That was all sort of my point.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 26, 2015, 06:30:25 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 25, 2015, 11:27:27 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense.

consider that Iran has had F-14s for 30 years and still can't make new ones.

JH, during battles are you using the F hotkeys for battle groups and the strategic screen to move around rapidly?

That is because the Iranians are morons and they couldn't engineer their way out of a box. That is not a matter of lost technology, it's a matter of incompetence and lack of capability...knowledge never possessed cannot be knowledge lost. 

Yes, I use hot keys and the strategic display
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: besilarius on February 26, 2015, 07:29:44 AM

    When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke's Three Laws.  (Great writer, lousy human.)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on February 26, 2015, 08:14:15 AM
Arthur C Clarke's long lost fourth law: any computer problem whether hardware or software can be solved by turning the computer off and then turning it back on again
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on February 26, 2015, 08:41:20 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 26, 2015, 06:28:47 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on February 25, 2015, 11:24:14 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
There is this element of WH40K where the Imperium has forgotten how to construct certain technologies, such as Titans. I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense. However, look at Homewold.

I'm afraid it's possible. For a long time historians were aware of Greek Fire but were unable to recreate it. True Damascus Steel was also unknown for centuries.

IIRC a few weeks back I ran across an article which discussed how there are computer programs in the US government which are still active and running real applications for which we have virtually forgotten how to program them. In another generation that knowledge won't be lost...but in five it might very well could be.

It is not implausible to suggest that things we know today can and will be forgotten - things that we take for granted and are highly useful. They can range the gamut - from metallurgy to medicine to mainframe computing.

article on nearly lost tech: https://www.atr.org/irs-chief-we-still-have-applications-were-running-when-jfk-was-president

Uh. Yeah. That was all sort of my point.

Sorry, I completely misread your post.  :))
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on February 26, 2015, 08:44:52 AM
I used to run a factory that had been operating for over 100 years in the same spot.  We had specially designed tooling equipment that still ran on leather belts.  But setting up a production run and maintaining a special diamond tooling machine required special knowledge and was almost an art.  The last guy to run and maintain it retired.  They tried replacing the machine and when that didn't work, they tried to reverse engineer it.  It never worked and we had to change our production standards because we could no longer hold the tolerances like the old machine.

Our knowledge of that process retired and couldn't be captured.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on February 26, 2015, 12:12:42 PM
What's amazing is that there are still people bitching on the steam forums about how the game is horrible and what a travesty it is and it's a disaster. Lol. It's the same damn game we all played 15 years ago it's just got better graphics for the love of Pete
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 26, 2015, 12:22:48 PM
Quote from: mikeck on February 26, 2015, 12:12:42 PM
What's amazing is that there are still people bitching on the steam forums about how the game is horrible and what a travesty it is and it's a disaster. Lol. It's the same damn game we all played 15 years ago it's just got better graphics for the love of Pete

Our hobby is doomed. Hopefully, the silent majority will speak for itself with purchases and the game will be a financial success.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Rayfer on February 26, 2015, 01:06:27 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
The game is still beautiful. Still full of style. Still superb. Still frighteningly difficult. It totally holds up, which shows just how far ahead of its time the game was when it was first released. Its been so long since I played the unmodded original that it is hard to compare how improved the graphics are...suffice it to say, it looks great.

There is this element of WH40K where the Imperium has forgotten how to construct certain technologies, such as Titans. I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense. However, look at Homewold. It is so perfect and it was made so long ago, yet NOBODY has succeeded in making a game nearly as good, or really even come too close to it, for that matter. Its as if game developers simply forgot how to do it...

When JH calls a game 'frighteningly difficult' it translates into my 63 year old, RTS handicapped brain as 'don't bother'.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 26, 2015, 01:31:38 PM
but its really not that hard at all.  I took to it like a duck to water.  the GUI is pretty intuitive as are the camera controls.  I'd go as far as saying theyre the best camera controls ever.
remember, hes just a Marine after all.   :crazy2:
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on February 26, 2015, 01:59:07 PM
WORKSHOP on steam is now available for the home world remastered series. One of the mods is "complex 9.1" one of my favorites.  there are a few others on there but I imagine it will be more later
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 26, 2015, 02:03:42 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 26, 2015, 01:06:27 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM
The game is still beautiful. Still full of style. Still superb. Still frighteningly difficult. It totally holds up, which shows just how far ahead of its time the game was when it was first released. Its been so long since I played the unmodded original that it is hard to compare how improved the graphics are...suffice it to say, it looks great.

There is this element of WH40K where the Imperium has forgotten how to construct certain technologies, such as Titans. I always say to myself, how can the knowledge of how to build something be lost when you have an example right there to behold and study. Its not logical and it doesn't make sense. However, look at Homewold. It is so perfect and it was made so long ago, yet NOBODY has succeeded in making a game nearly as good, or really even come too close to it, for that matter. Its as if game developers simply forgot how to do it...

When JH calls a game 'frighteningly difficult' it translates into my 63 year old, RTS handicapped brain as 'don't bother'.

I suppose one could debate that the word "difficult" is not really accurate. I think "challenging" is probably a better description. Regardless, the game deserves to be experienced. Unreservedly.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 26, 2015, 02:10:06 PM
Quote from: mikeck on February 26, 2015, 01:59:07 PM
WORKSHOP on steam is now available for the home world remastered series. One of the mods is "complex 9.1" one of my favorites.  there are a few others on there but I imagine it will be more later

Keep in mind that most of those overhaul mods presently work only with the classic versions of the game. They do not run with the RM versions. My understanding is that Complex v10, which runs with the RM game, is not due out until September. Still, very convenient to be able to boot up the classic versions and play with the mods from the steam menu interface.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on February 26, 2015, 02:32:01 PM
I did not know that they didn't work with the remastered version.  good to know, thank you
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Staggerwing on February 26, 2015, 09:44:28 PM
Quote from: besilarius on February 26, 2015, 07:29:44 AM

    When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke's Three Laws.  (Great writer, lousy human.)

Bes, just out of curiosity, what made Clarke a lousy human? I'm not familiar with any potential controversies connected to him, other than his transition from spiritualism to atheism, and his *ehem* alternate lifestyle...
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on February 26, 2015, 09:49:48 PM
Never played the original game, but I'm not liking the UI.  Some stuff are counter-intuitive and unconventional. This means you need to keep playing this to remember.  After some time of not playing, going back means you have to re-learn some stuff.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 26, 2015, 10:04:05 PM
I havent tried the remastered versions yet. 
so a question for someone like JH is this:
have they used the HW2 GUI in HW1 or have they left both systems intact as they were.

there were things you couldnt do with the HW1 system that were vastly improved upon by HW2.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 12:28:40 AM
installing now, weekend plans shot to hell.
expect to hear about my dead corpse being found sometime mid next week amid empty beer bottles and chinese delivery boxes.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on February 27, 2015, 12:50:03 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 26, 2015, 10:04:05 PM
I havent tried the remastered versions yet. 
so a question for someone like JH is this:
have they used the HW2 GUI in HW1 or have they left both systems intact as they were.

there were things you couldnt do with the HW1 system that were vastly improved upon by HW2.

I dunno.  I'm playing HW1 Remastered for now.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 01:13:17 AM
just started HW1RM. 
Im going to go a few levels in and then switch to HW2RM to see whats what.  the trigger points dont seem to have changed so far and that becomes pretty important down the road.   :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on February 27, 2015, 03:07:56 AM
You're right. Knowing what happens after the trigger will make you prepare for it.
Like building your fleet first before proceeding.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: RyanE on February 27, 2015, 06:53:19 AM
So from Steamcharts...

http://steamcharts.com/app/244160

HW-RM has sold at least 18,000 units at $40.  That is $720,000 in a couple days.  The big period is a week usually and then it doubles over the next month.  It then usually tapers off over the next three months.  I would estimate a haul of about $2M by summer.  I wonder how much cost went into it and what the longer term plans are.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on February 27, 2015, 08:20:29 AM
I'm now stuck on that asteroid blasting mission.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on February 27, 2015, 08:30:45 AM
Well, if you're like me, you will be stuck on every mission for a while...sh*t is hard

I fired up a skirmish with the graphics turned up last night and I still think there are very few games that have better graphics or are more beautiful
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 08:37:02 AM
Quote from: jomni on February 27, 2015, 08:20:29 AM
I'm now stuck on that asteroid blasting mission.

this level is why you need to steal as many ships as possible on  the Bridge of Sighs level.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Skwerl on February 27, 2015, 10:25:47 AM
Guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding Homeworld Remastered.

First - will my current system run it?  I exceed the minimum specs, but do you think it will actually run it in a reasonably acceptable manner.  Here are my specs:

2.4 GHZ Quad Core
3 GB RAM
Vista 32 bit with Service Pack 2
NVidia GTX 260

By the way, I'm well aware that this is an ancient rig.

Second - Is the game worth buying at this point?  The Steam forums are absolutely brimming over with hatred for this game (and for Gearbox).  Is it as fundamentally broken as these rabid posts make it appear?

Thanks
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on February 27, 2015, 10:33:04 AM
Quote from: Skwerl on February 27, 2015, 10:25:47 AM
Guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding Homeworld Remastered.

First - will my current system run it?  I exceed the minimum specs, but do you think it will actually run it in a reasonably acceptable manner.  Here are my specs:

2.4 GHZ Quad Core
3 GB RAM
Vista 32 bit with Service Pack 2
NVidia GTX 260

By the way, I'm well aware that this is an ancient rig.

Second - Is the game worth buying at this point?  The Steam forums are absolutely brimming over with hatred for this game (and for Gearbox).  Is it as fundamentally broken as these rabid posts make it appear?

Thanks

System Requirements from Steam:

QuoteMINIMUM:

OS: Windows Vista
Processor: 2.2GHz Dual Core Processor
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (512MB) / ATI Radeon HD4800 (512MB)
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space
Additional Notes: * Game engine uses OpenGL3.3 It is important that you get the latest drivers for your video card to ensure compatibility with this product.

RECOMMENDED:

OS: Windows 7
Processor: 2.3 GHz Quad Core Processor
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 / ATI Radeon HD 5850 (1GB VRAM)
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space
Additional Notes: * Game engine uses OpenGL3.3 It is important that you get the latest drivers for your video card to ensure compatibility with this product.

I *think* you should be fine. Looking at Nvidia's website (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-260/specifications) if I'm reading it correctly you have 896MB video RAM (this is a weird number and is throwing me off). The minimum is 512 MB so I think you'll be OK. You'll be close to rock bottom specs but I think you'll pass. It clearly does support your OS and your quad core should be fine.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Skwerl on February 27, 2015, 10:43:35 AM
Longblade,

Thanks for the quick reply.  That card does have 896 MB of video RAM. 
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on February 27, 2015, 11:02:25 AM
Quote from: Skwerl on February 27, 2015, 10:43:35 AM
Longblade,

Thanks for the quick reply.  That card does have 896 MB of video RAM.

You're welcome :)

It looks like you'll be fine. Just don't try to run the graphics maxed out.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 11:54:23 AM
I would ignore the morons posting negative things about the game.  chances are theyre idiots who got their asses kicked by the AI.
having said that I'll admit that this is possibly my favorite game ever so I'm a bit biased.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on February 27, 2015, 12:11:00 PM
I don't understand all the hate for it...it's not like its a TW game. I thought CA had the market cornered on getting flamed on game boards.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on February 27, 2015, 12:29:33 PM
But it puts all the total war hate in perspective. Even a game which is fabulous has a large amount of people on there who just want to bitch about something. Total war games are the same.  yes they have bugs yes they have issues, but people come on forums like this and say "well everyone at the Steam (or TW)  form says it sucks" well yeah most of them say Homeworld sucks... so what
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on February 27, 2015, 12:37:34 PM
Quote from: mikeck on February 27, 2015, 12:29:33 PM
But it puts all the total war hate in perspective. Even a game which is fabulous has a large amount of people on there who just want to bitch about something.

Some people are so lame that all they want to do is set the world on fire to watch it burn.

I feel sorry for them. Nothing better to do than bleed negativity. What kind of life is that?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: sandman2575 on February 27, 2015, 12:49:44 PM
Steam forums are a cesspool of trolling and misinformation. I try to steer clear as much as I can, and regard anything I do read there with abundant skepticism...
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: undercovergeek on February 27, 2015, 01:02:49 PM
i had a moment of weakness last week and considered buying into Massive Chalice, heard lots of goods things - made the mistake of reading the steam forum for the game, still recovering and didnt actually buy it

Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 03:56:05 PM
as I play through the first HW again I think its worth mentioning that you shouldnt always go for bigger and better when the game wants you to.  15 to 20 heavy corvettes split into 2 groups may not be better then 64 fighters split into 8 groups and hotkeyed.   Im also being reminded that a lot of early battles are best fought from the strategic screen.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on February 27, 2015, 05:15:43 PM
I am now being harassed by fighters and can't counter them with my ION Frigates.  O0
Got to go back a few missions and rebuild my fleet.  :'(
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 05:32:43 PM
I caught myself early and only had to go back 1 mission.
get at least 6 salvage vettes early and fill out your allotment as soon as you can.  Im going to set myself up right for the Kadesh mission.  kill the fuel tankers and snag those multi-beam frigates!  Love those fuckers!!!
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 05:33:48 PM
one thing I loved about these games is that they reward the sneaky.   8)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on February 27, 2015, 06:43:54 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 05:32:43 PM
I caught myself early and only had to go back 1 mission.
get at least 6 salvage vettes early and fill out your allotment as soon as you can.  Im going to set myself up right for the Kadesh mission.  kill the fuel tankers and snag those multi-beam frigates!  Love those fuckers!!!

Thanks for the tip.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on February 27, 2015, 07:03:15 PM
Star preaching that 'bigger isn't always better'?

Did I make a wrong turn at Albuquerque?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 07:33:43 PM
Ive always said you were better then Mirth.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on February 27, 2015, 08:54:32 PM
Quote from: jomni on February 27, 2015, 06:43:54 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 05:32:43 PM
I caught myself early and only had to go back 1 mission.
get at least 6 salvage vettes early and fill out your allotment as soon as you can.  Im going to set myself up right for the Kadesh mission.  kill the fuel tankers and snag those multi-beam frigates!  Love those fuckers!!!

Thanks for the tip.

Taking out those fuel pods worked like a charm.  Those fighters stopped harassing me in no time.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 09:51:04 PM
happy to help.  O0  how many multi beam ships did you snag?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 10:58:04 PM
and I just stole a carrier and a destroyer on the Wastelands mission.  ^-^
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 11:41:56 PM
in other news...
when you've defeated all opposition on a level you can hyper out and the game is supposed to collect all available resources.
but it doesn't, it just collects most of them.  now while my method of pilfering and highjacking any ship I can makes this less of an issue I still like lots of cash in the bank just in case.  but fear not.  you dont have to spend all that time watching collectors gather rocks.
it seems that when you tab out of the game to desktop it still runs.  so you can collect all the RU you need and watch porn at the same time.  :D
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on February 27, 2015, 11:54:53 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 27, 2015, 10:58:04 PM
and I just stole a carrier and a destroyer on the Wastelands mission.  ^-^

Just two multi-beam frigates.  How many salvage ships does it take to steal a carrier and destroyer? I already built my own destroyer and those drone frigates are handy at fighter defence.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 28, 2015, 12:07:30 AM
2 for frigates, 6 for the carrier and 4 for the destroyers.  having them backed up with repair vettes and some fighter cover helps.
grabbing those 2 ships cost me about 20 fighters and 15 or so corvettes. 

I have to admit that the GUI isnt what I remember and its far short of what you get in HW2 and HW Cataclysm.
still loads of fun though.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 28, 2015, 12:37:29 AM
pro-tip for gamers and modelers:

do not keep an x-acto knife anywhere near your vapor pen while engrossed in commanding space fleets.

I damn near stabbed myself in the mouth!
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on February 28, 2015, 07:53:25 AM
Stuck again!  Aliens turn my ships into enemies.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on February 28, 2015, 12:19:45 PM
On skirmishes the game crashes while loading the Map when I try to play anyone it haigaraa...anyone else experience this?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on February 28, 2015, 12:34:30 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 28, 2015, 12:37:29 AM
pro-tip for gamers and modelers:

do not keep an x-acto knife anywhere near your vapor pen while engrossed in commanding space fleets.

I damn near stabbed myself in the mouth!

Seems like good advice :)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: undercovergeek on February 28, 2015, 01:13:59 PM
So you're leaving it to me to ask why he's playing games with a knife next to his pc?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mirth on February 28, 2015, 01:16:23 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 28, 2015, 01:13:59 PM
So you're leaving it to me to ask why he's playing games with a knife next to his pc?

Some questions are better left unasked.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 28, 2015, 01:24:17 PM
Starfury's Construction and Circumcision Service.

our motto is "Measure twice and only cut once!"
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 28, 2015, 01:28:43 PM
Quote from: jomni on February 28, 2015, 07:53:25 AM
Stuck again!  Aliens turn my ships into enemies.

if its the mission after the nebula ones just attack the derelict ship with all of your strike craft.
do NOT attack anything else because once you take out that ship the rest become yours to use.
I had retired all my fighter grade ships so I built up 40 bombers and took it down in under a minute.  I only lost 4 bombers.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Staggerwing on February 28, 2015, 01:49:04 PM
Sure, cut right to the chase why don't ya...
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 28, 2015, 02:49:36 PM
well some honesty here:
Im having a bug sometimes switching between the tactical and strategic screen where the whole screen goes black.  the upside is I can save and reload at that point and the game works fine so Im guessing its a gpu issue.
Im also not happy with how the formations with capital ship dont formate as they should.  band box a bunch of frigates and select wall and they kinda make these weird non-wall shapes.  this usually isnt much of an issue but theres one level where you NEED tight formations to navigate and Im having to micro manage the shit out of things.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on February 28, 2015, 02:59:51 PM
^You are one moyle of a guy.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Staggerwing on February 28, 2015, 03:35:36 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 28, 2015, 02:59:51 PM
^You are one moyle of a guy.

??? He keeps Ireland and Scotland apart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straits_of_Moyle)?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on March 01, 2015, 12:30:30 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 28, 2015, 01:13:59 PM
So you're leaving it to me to ask why he's playing games with a knife next to his pc?

Not in the least. He's a modeler. He's single. Therefore where he places the tools for his hobby aren't regulated by a traditional sense of a tidy home.

Frankly I often sit in the family room and paint minis. On rare occasions I also use an Xacto knife. I don't freestyle model like I think Star does - he's far more talented than I could ever hope to become. But his freestylin/scratch building means he's far more likely to have something like an Xacto within arm's reach.

Besides, what's wrong with having a knife next to your PC? (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1081.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj349%2Flongblade%2FSmilies%2Fpirate1_zpsfuxzbb0j.gif&hash=6367609da1d2fbaa69b46c9c4e448372955bb3f1)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 01:08:37 AM
100% correct.  though I think LB has the chops to get dirty with modeling.

on a Homeworld front though I've re-remembered one of the subtle reasons this game was so loved graphically.
it pays honored homage to the Terran Trade Authority books of sci-fi art.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Finsideyourart.com%2Fimageoriginal%2F2_77_950_680_Avery_Hornet.jpg&hash=a0e30d73d6f378d9c63d9a2a063bd853cc763222)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.peterelson.co.uk%2Fimages%2Fgallery%2Fmedium%2FTheOutposter.jpg&hash=44cb057e57e747d2f2e0c100ce167b9a20462ed1)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fitdoesnthavetoberight.files.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F03%2Fstewart_cowley.jpg&hash=af56716bf46b4a3509b813d343816d478cc4d464)

Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on March 01, 2015, 02:24:48 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 01:08:37 AM
100% correct.  though I think LB has the chops to get dirty with modeling.

on a Homeworld front though I've re-remembered one of the subtle reasons this game was so loved graphically.
it pays honored homage to the Terran Trade Authority books of sci-fi art.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Finsideyourart.com%2Fimageoriginal%2F2_77_950_680_Avery_Hornet.jpg&hash=a0e30d73d6f378d9c63d9a2a063bd853cc763222)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.peterelson.co.uk%2Fimages%2Fgallery%2Fmedium%2FTheOutposter.jpg&hash=44cb057e57e747d2f2e0c100ce167b9a20462ed1)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fitdoesnthavetoberight.files.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F03%2Fstewart_cowley.jpg&hash=af56716bf46b4a3509b813d343816d478cc4d464)

You give me too much credit. I certainly have the balls to try to freehand model, but I can assure you the skill is not there.

On the bright side, I own one of those books  8)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 10:59:59 AM
Im going to steal every one of these ships!

Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: panzerde on March 01, 2015, 11:21:15 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 01:08:37 AM

on a Homeworld front though I've re-remembered one of the subtle reasons this game was so loved graphically.
it pays honored homage to the Terran Trade Authority books of sci-fi art.


Exactly one of the things I've loved about HW, too. I have too of the TTA books and absolutely poured over them as a kid. The war against Proxima is halfway a real event in my mind.  :smitten:
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 11:37:05 AM
moving right along with my theft.

Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: undercovergeek on March 01, 2015, 11:38:32 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 11:37:05 AM
moving right along with my theft.

I've not seen you quite so moist for a game
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 12:18:59 PM
Ive always loved this game!  :smitten:
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: LongBlade on March 01, 2015, 01:13:04 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 12:18:59 PM
Ive always loved this game!  :smitten:

It ranks right up there with Panthers in the Fog.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 01:34:28 PM
 8)

Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Gusington on March 01, 2015, 02:47:03 PM
I have seen Star this moist. Moister, even.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Boggit on March 01, 2015, 06:58:08 PM
I never played Homeworld, but I can see from the reactions it is warmly remembered. Is it a clickfest rts or do you get enough time to think about your actions? One of the comments on Steam by a guy who appeared to like the original, said that a lot of the originals tactics had been left out in the remaster, and was quite critical on those points. Any views? Never having played it I have no opinion.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 07:36:16 PM
the combat system in the original was based on actual physics and momentum.  in HW2 the combat resolution was change to a random number generation system.  in the remastered version HW1 got HW2s system.  in some regards this has made the super heavy units a bit over powering because by the numbers they could beat the snot out of everything.  I wouldnt go so far as to say its a bad thing but they should be some balancing if they do future patches.

as for being a click fest...  I dont find it to be so.  the maps are a pretty big space to play in.  how chaotic a battle can be is pretty much dependent on how you set yourself up beforehand.  hotkeys and the HUD display make it pretty easy to see whats what and where.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on March 01, 2015, 07:52:15 PM
Quote from: Boggit on March 01, 2015, 06:58:08 PM
I never played Homeworld, but I can see from the reactions it is warmly remembered. Is it a clickfest rts or do you get enough time to think about your actions? One of the comments on Steam by a guy who appeared to like the original, said that a lot of the originals tactics had been left out in the remaster, and was quite critical on those points. Any views? Never having played it I have no opinion.

The only missing feature I know of is that "formations" are messed up. That said, I never really found formations to matter so long as all my ships were firing. Other than that, it seems like the original with better graphics. I do miss playing the "complex mod" but oh well.

As with many games, people tend to look at history through rose colored graphics. I was amazed at how many people in the TW forums waxed poetic about how amazing the original Rome and Medieval II was....these same people were complaining when those games came out

I may be missing something but i don't remember a whole lot of "tactics" in the game once the fight started. Fleet makeup, attack direction,
What you attack, etc yes....but moving ships in battle...not so much.

For your other question, battles can be a click fest but it's not like Starcraft. The campaign is very difficult and each mission requires planning. But once the shooting starts, you can't do much
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 08:12:31 PM
you can do a whole lot once the shooting starts.  even more so in HW2.  maybe its a matter of getting out of a game what you put into it.  I remember MP being a serious crucible of pain if you didnt have your wits about you.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 08:15:28 PM
sending in bombers to soft kill engines and have those guarded by multi-gun covettes as a distraction while using clock field probes to sneak a frigate group around the back to kill resource collectors was always a fun plan.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 08:17:01 PM
hell, Ive already stolen 60+ frigates using tactics!  :coolsmiley:

Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: mikeck on March 01, 2015, 08:24:48 PM
I guess what I mean is that you dont get to adjust shields, increase or decrease thrust, switch weapons, etc. Like in Nexus: jupiter incident" you tell your ship to fire and it does. I see your point about takng out the engines to capture but I play skirmish so usually I just blow stuff up. It certainly is not like Command and Conquer where you lasso your guys and have them attack.

There are other things you can do outside of battles like laying minefields. I send about 4-5 minelayers over to resource fields closer to the enemy and dump all the Mines I can
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Boggit on March 01, 2015, 08:32:35 PM
Sounds interesting. I've added it to my follow list. Thanks for the feedback. :)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2015, 08:39:40 PM
attacking modules is faaaar more important in HW2.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 02, 2015, 01:16:23 AM
and Grand Theft Howeworld is done!
this shot doesn't have any of the heavy units captured.

Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on March 02, 2015, 03:21:30 AM
What are the red numbers?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2015, 07:38:59 AM
Quote from: jomni on March 02, 2015, 03:21:30 AM
What are the red numbers?

I'm guessing, but the red numbers seem to only be in categories that have reached or exceeded the maximum ship cap.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: jomni on March 02, 2015, 08:13:19 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2015, 07:38:59 AM
Quote from: jomni on March 02, 2015, 03:21:30 AM
What are the red numbers?

I'm guessing, but the red numbers seem to only be in categories that have reached or exceeded the maximum ship cap.

Is it per battle?  But you can still own more than the cap.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 02, 2015, 08:48:26 AM
while you can only build so much you arent limited by those numbers if you capture ships.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 03, 2015, 12:47:06 PM
So whos up for some multiplayer action?
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Martok on March 04, 2015, 03:21:34 PM
Well TotalBiscuit definitely likes it: 






Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 03, 2015, 12:47:06 PM
So whos up for some multiplayer action?
Oh lord, just what we need -- the Homeworld version of MetalDog...  :P 

Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 04, 2015, 05:43:24 PM
Quote from: Martok on March 04, 2015, 03:21:34 PM
So whos up for some multiplayer action?
Oh lord, just what we need -- the Homeworld version of MetalDog...  :P
[/quote]

except Im actually good at this game.   ;)
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Con on March 04, 2015, 08:50:25 PM
OK broke down and bought this.  Along with the anticipated purchase of Command Ops 2 in the near future I had better keep a low gaming profile from the wife for the next couple of months.

On the plus side its been so long since I played Homeworld it will be like playing a brand new game.  Also Totalbiscuit video got me to nostalgic to pass it up.

Con
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 05, 2015, 03:08:40 AM
I really wish there where set piece battles in the multi player version of the game.  no resource collection or anything.  one fleet vs another.
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 06, 2015, 10:40:23 AM
first updates released today.  thats a pretty decent turn around time.

NOTE: All in-game audio was mastered and intended to be heard at 100% volume – for optimal experience, we recommend setting all in-game volume sliders to 100%

Fixed an issue where Windows DPI scaling could cause the game to display in an unusable resolution
Increased size of anomaly pings to make them more readily visible
Restored disabled button states to campaign games
Added launcher text to indicate DLC download state
Addressed improper UV maps on some units
Various audio fixes
Various fixes to ships and weapons
Fixed weapon audio in Remastered versions to be faithful to classic versions
Added "reset video settings to default" function to the launcher
Addressed an issue where the screen could go black if an in-engine cut-scene is interrupted
Game now allows windowed resolution at full desktop size
Added OpenGL version check to launcher
Added more detailed error messaging

Homeworld 1 Remastered:
Mission 07 – Addressed an issue where the Kadeshi mothership could disappear
Mission 10 - Addressed an issue where the objective "Destroy All Enemy Forces" fails to complete
Fixed an issue where attempting to load an incompatible save would cause a loading screen to appear during gameplay
Fixed improper letterboxing in Mission 03 cinematic9
Addressed an issue where dust clouds and nebulae were not auto-collected by resource collectors
Mission 02 – Fixed an issue where the objective "Salvage the Khar-Selim" might not complete
Mission 06 – Adjusted asteroid field visuals and functionality to improve mission balance
Homeworld 2 Remastered:
Disabled resource collector research during tutorials

Multiplayer BETA:
Taiidan sensor array ping now functions in multiplayer matches
Increased multiplayer lobby limit to 8 players
Addressed an issue where multiplayer lobbies could get stuck in the "Connecting" dialog
Fixed an issue where multiple checkboxes could appear in certain dialogs
Addressed an issue where a player disconnecting from the game while in the lobby could cause the host to crash
Addressed an issue where clients could become stuck in the lobby when host gets disconnected
The game now checks for Beta opt-in status when inviting a friend
Added password icon to password-locked games in the server browser
Reduced kamikaze damage on the Vaygr Interceptor to be in-line with other fighters
Addressed a crash which could occur under certain circumstances when launching the game from a friend invite
Added new loading screens
Various stability improvements
Addressed a rare issue where games could become stuck on an infinite loading screen
Added server distance filter
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 07, 2015, 06:30:28 PM
for those that might be having trouble:

http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?83-Homeworld-Series-Walkthrough-Forum
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: Martok on March 08, 2015, 02:02:35 PM
Anyone (aside from Star) playing this?  If so, thoughts?  Is there any particular reason I shouldn't get it?  'Cuz right now I'm basically just waiting for payday... 

Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 10:19:38 PM
how to get the cockpit view in HW.

http://forums.relicnews.com/printthread.php?t=15798
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: MikeGER on March 09, 2015, 02:51:38 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 10:19:38 PM
how to get the cockpit view in HW.

http://forums.relicnews.com/printthread.php?t=15798

i didn't get it to work    :(
(of course i use the line command on the correct .exe of the Steam installation like: H:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\Bin\Release\HomeworldRM.exe /pilotview  and start HW1 remastered circumventing the general Homeworld editions launcher)

maybe cause the q -key is occupied with a menu function
Title: Re: Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order
Post by: GDS_Starfury on March 09, 2015, 08:51:13 AM
what I linked is for the original HW not the remastered version.