ALEA JACTA EST is AGEOD's Roman game covering mid/late Republic, releasing on 9/22.
Quote from: Bismarck on August 20, 2012, 09:08:11 AM
ALEA JACTA EST is AGEOD's Roman game covering mid/late Republic, releasing on 9/22.
Is that Sept. 2022? ;)
Quote from: Barthheart on August 20, 2012, 09:18:27 AM
Quote from: Bismarck on August 20, 2012, 09:08:11 AM
ALEA JACTA EST is AGEOD's Roman game covering mid/late Republic, releasing on 9/22.
Is that Sept. 2022? ;)
Funny little man.
I'm so excited about this game. Trying really hard to control my emotions in case it's a PoNesque let down.
Me too....can't wait and hopefully not a let down.
Quote from: Bison on August 20, 2012, 04:55:52 PM
I'm so excited about this game. Trying really hard to control my emotions in case it's a PoNesque let down.
Have you tried PrON since the recent update yet?
No. I've intended too, but haven't gotten around to it. I've been playing my favorite Ageod game BIA lately.
I suspect this game will be much closer to Rise of Prussia than PoN. The recruitment mechanics, card style choices and unit layout looks identical to Rise of Prussia which is good....very good. I am am AGEOD fanboy and I will be on this like a fat kid on cake.
Well I was going to reference a wargamer's morning wood, but a fat kid and cake reference works too.
^ The first laugh out loud moment of my day :-)
Is there a site for this thing out on the interwebs? All I can find is the forum.
Quote from: Gusington on August 20, 2012, 09:47:42 PM
Is there a site for this thing out on the interwebs? All I can find is the forum.
Wasn't terribly easy to find yet, but here it is!
http://www.aleajactaest-game.com/
..and I still haven't played much of RoP, RUS, or the new PON yet. :-[ This one is a must have, of course.
[quote aut (http://t)hor=Gusington link=topic=2565.msg54495#msg54495 date=1345517262]
Is there a site for this thing out on the interwebs? All I can find is the forum.
[/quote]
Lazy, lazy, lazy.
www.aleajactaest-game.com (http://www.aleajactaest-game.com)
I'm pre-ordering this baby. I cannot resist. It's Ageod and it's about ancient Rome.
I tried that site when I found the forums and it came up as a blank page...now it's working alright. Site's a little wonky.
Quote from: Bismarck on August 20, 2012, 09:53:33 PM
Lazy, lazy, lazy.
www.aleajactaest-game.com (http://www.aleajactaest-game.com)
If you ask me, starting a thread on an upcoming game and just saying this:
Quote
ALEA JACTA EST is AGEOD's Roman game covering mid/late Republic, releasing on 9/22.
,,,is lazy. But, you're old and salty, so you get a pass.
It does look like an interesting game. Having not played any of AGEOD's games before could someone give me a quick run down of how their game play works.
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 21, 2012, 07:18:00 AM
It does look like an interesting game. Having not played any of AGEOD's games before could someone give me a quick run down of how their game play works.
I'd hop over to the Ageod site and read some of the AARs from the era you like best American Civil War, Revolutionary War, Prussian-Franco War, WW1 whatnot. That would honestly be the easiest and best way to get a feel for the gameplay.
Does 'old and salty' = 'crafty veteran'?
i thought 'used sock'
I believe so.
Kere's another Press release:
Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour expansion
Spies! Leaders! Naval landings! We weren't planning for Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour expansion to focus on the sexiest aspects of WWII, but it's kind of worked out that way. Detailed espionage will let players green light covert operations, your military commanders will gain traits and, with them, personalities, and naval landings can now be planned down to specialised assault craft. But this is just the start- we've also got new elite units for each nation (Rangers! Gurkhas!) and a new game mode letting players start with a clean slate and drop straight into the business of producing units and technology. Simulation's great and all, but sometimes you just want to run a war.
Release date: 26th of September
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/sites/default/files/hoi3_their_finest_hour_packshot_2d_blank_hires.jpg (http://www.paradoxplaza.com/sites/default/files/hoi3_their_finest_hour_packshot_2d_blank_hires.jpg)
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 21, 2012, 04:43:45 PM
i thought 'used sock'
I probably don't have the same sex live you do.
i can almost guarantee i have 'live' sex Bismark, what you do with dead/undead things is entirely up to you :P
on a side note, i guess 2 guys have tried to have a bit of banter with you as part of the 'fun' atmosphere here - fine, you dont want to play, maybe just a polite moment of silence instead of a snarky comment about someone you dont know eh? ::)
Ah, undercover, he's channeling Julius Caesar. Big Julie had no sense of humor and little irony.
Served him right to get it in the rotunda. Worst possible place.
Sometime's Bismark's sense of humor can be very dry.... but it's still humor. An emoticon or two couldn't hurt, however. ;)
*Ignores the derailed thread :P *
Quote from: Bison on August 21, 2012, 07:26:06 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 21, 2012, 07:18:00 AM
It does look like an interesting game. Having not played any of AGEOD's games before could someone give me a quick run down of how their game play works.
I'd hop over to the Ageod site and read some of the AARs from the era you like best American Civil War, Revolutionary War, Prussian-Franco War, WW1 whatnot. That would honestly be the easiest and best way to get a feel for the gameplay.
Sounds like a solid idea, I'll give it a shot.
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 21, 2012, 04:58:51 PM
i can almost guarantee i have 'live' sex Bismark, what you do with dead/undead things is entirely up to you :P
on a side note, i guess 2 guys have tried to have a bit of banter with you as part of the 'fun' atmosphere here - fine, you dont want to play, maybe just a polite moment of silence instead of a snarky comment about someone you dont know eh? ::)
I thought Bizzies' comeback was pretty funny.
Chill out, it was a joke. :(
Yes, it was a joke.
Speaking of jokes, can anyone translate that title for me?
I can't help but think it sounds dirty.
Quote from: LongBlade on August 21, 2012, 07:40:33 PM
Speaking of jokes, can anyone translate that title for me?
I can't help but think it sounds dirty.
"The die is cast"
LB even I knew that. Shameful display!
That would be two "didn't know".
Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2012, 07:48:18 PM
LB even I knew that. Shameful display!
How rong you speak Engrish?!
Is "Shamefur Dispray"!!
Quote from: mikeck on August 21, 2012, 07:44:42 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 21, 2012, 07:40:33 PM
Speaking of jokes, can anyone translate that title for me?
I can't help but think it sounds dirty.
"The die is cast"
iGracias!
LB some background info from a guy that once read a book:
Caesar was playing D-Day Dice with his mate Titus Labienus. After a bad roll Caesar tried to pick up the dices again, when his general's strong arm hold him back, saying: 'Alea jacta est, you lousy prick'
Caesar reacted this way:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fthebestpictureproject.files.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F03%2Fgladiator2.jpg&hash=fdeb6b14581ad7474f11f0ab8fb2e701ab411a25)
Quote from: Nefaro on August 21, 2012, 06:38:00 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 21, 2012, 04:58:51 PM
i can almost guarantee i have 'live' sex Bismark, what you do with dead/undead things is entirely up to you :P
on a side note, i guess 2 guys have tried to have a bit of banter with you as part of the 'fun' atmosphere here - fine, you dont want to play, maybe just a polite moment of silence instead of a snarky comment about someone you dont know eh? ::)
I thought Bizzies' comeback was pretty funny.
Chill out, it was a joke. :(
fair dos - apologies
Quote from: Keunert on August 21, 2012, 11:39:12 PM
LB some background info from a guy that once read a book:
Caesar was playing D-Day Dice with his mate Titus Labienus. After a bad roll Caesar tried to pick up the dices again, when his general's strong arm hold him back, saying: 'Alea jacta est, you lousy prick'
Caesar reacted this way:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fthebestpictureproject.files.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F03%2Fgladiator2.jpg&hash=fdeb6b14581ad7474f11f0ab8fb2e701ab411a25)
I am often amazed at how much appreciation and knowledge you Europeans have for history. My history books indicated that it was during a dull period during the siege of Alesia that Caesar was playing D&D. He had a first level wizard and cast magic missile. When he rolled a 1 for damage and asked the DM if he could roll again he was told alea jacta est.
I thought that pic was Jarhead.
^ lawyers dress more casual nowadays.
more like this:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.independent.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2010%2F07%2Fmad-joaquin8.jpeg&hash=1d9281c7f983e2e3bfe6a53008d22d4f71f6cbfe)
I like the first one better.
LB, Julius was one of the luckiest generals in history. His outrageous risks should have done him in many times.
Not to mention his habit of sleeping with every woman within reach. (A known Groghead weakness.)
Some translations of Alea Iacta Est run to earthier translations of an inveterate gambler. Mostly along the lines of "Throw the dice high."
Remember that on the eve of Pharsalus, the decisive battle of the war with Pompey, Julie spent the night visiting his soldiers around their campfires.
To settle their nerves he told dirty jokes about what they would do to Pompey.
As a visual aid, he carried a cucumber and illustrated the desired action using both hands.
^Or, in the immortal words of Cpl Jones "They don't like it up 'em"
Quote from: besilarius on August 22, 2012, 05:50:32 PM
LB, Julius was one of the luckiest generals in history. His outrageous risks should have done him in many times.
Not to mention his habit of sleeping with every woman within reach. (A known Groghead weakness.)
Some translations of Alea Iacta Est run to earthier translations of an inveterate gambler. Mostly along the lines of "Throw the dice high."
Remember that on the eve of Pharsalus, the decisive battle of the war with Pompey, Julie spent the night visiting his soldiers around their campfires.
To settle their nerves he told dirty jokes about what they would do to Pompey.
As a visual aid, he carried a cucumber and illustrated the desired action using both hands.
Great story. Never heard that :)
Good news. This game uses the old AGEOD engine, not the PoN one.
Quote from: Bismarck on August 23, 2012, 12:09:27 PM
Good news. This game uses the old AGEOD engine, not the PoN one.
Umm.. it's one and the same.
Although, as previously mentioned, it won't be covering the whole world and it's economy & colonization during the industrial revolution as PrON did. ;)
Quote from: Nefaro on August 23, 2012, 11:40:04 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on August 23, 2012, 12:09:27 PM
Good news. This game uses the old AGEOD engine, not the PoN one.
Umm.. it's one and the same.
Although, as previously mentioned, it won't be covering the whole world and it's economy & colonization during the industrial revolution as PrON did. ;)
It has the same mechanics as Rise of Prussia, etc.
The army and supPly setup is like wia based on what is being said on agenda forums.
Quite so.
Quote from: Bismarck on August 30, 2012, 09:30:55 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 23, 2012, 11:40:04 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on August 23, 2012, 12:09:27 PM
Good news. This game uses the old AGEOD engine, not the PoN one.
Umm.. it's one and the same.
Although, as previously mentioned, it won't be covering the whole world and it's economy & colonization during the industrial revolution as PrON did. ;)
It has the same mechanics as Rise of Prussia, etc.
As did PrON, bit it had lots of extras added on top of it. The military side was the same as the rest of them.
Here's a really good youtube tutorial series to get everyone excited to play the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5s-jLI_VX0&feature=youtu.be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5s-jLI_VX0&feature=youtu.be)
Quote from: Bison on September 07, 2012, 09:42:12 PM
Here's a really good youtube tutorial series to get everyone excited to play the game.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DH5s-jLI_VX0%26amp%3Bfeature%3Dyoutu.be&hash=48d473b6be561d84117003a0ba4365df1ac6279c)
You used image tags.. can't see the linked vid.. ;D
Fixed it for you.
Quote from: Bison on September 07, 2012, 09:42:12 PM
Here's a really good youtube tutorial series to get everyone excited to play the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5s-jLI_VX0&feature=youtu.be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5s-jLI_VX0&feature=youtu.be)
I haven't watched it yet but if I like what I see I doubt I'll be able to resist pre-ordering any longer. Thanks for the link.
Hey I'm here to help you spend your money and stimulate the economy!
^Worked for me. Bastard.
A PBEM Beta AAR. Originally posted by bohmond over at the other forums.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?632034-The-Hero-The-Traitor-and-The-Barbarian-an-AJE-PBEM-Beginner-AAR (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?632034-The-Hero-The-Traitor-and-The-Barbarian-an-AJE-PBEM-Beginner-AAR)
This game looks lovely doesn't it? However I won't be able to buy it when it comes out, so would you all stop talking about it now? Thanks!
;)
Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 12, 2012, 12:47:26 PM
This game looks lovely doesn't it? However I won't be able to buy it when it comes out, so would you all stop talking about it now? Thanks!
;)
Naw.
4 days until those of us who pre-ordered can start moving pieces on that beautiful map!
Quote from: Bison on September 12, 2012, 06:22:47 PM
4 days until those of us who pre-ordered can start moving pieces on that beautiful map!
Did they ever say how it would unlock for us? Have to download a new file? I am assuming they have made changes since the original download so just curious how this plans to work.
I believe that we download a patch available on the 19th that will activate the game.
IIRC they are sending out an email with a link to a patch that will unlock the engine.
Quote from: mikeck on September 12, 2012, 06:53:21 PM
I believe that we download a patch available on the 19th that will activate the game.
Preorder is supposed to get access 3 days early, which I thought was the 16th. I could be wrong though.
My understanding is pre-orders get it on the 19th and everyone else gets it on the 22nd.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 12, 2012, 07:30:16 PM
My understanding is pre-orders get it on the 19th and everyone else gets it on the 22nd.
Mine too....
OK. I was thinking the offical release was the 19th.
I still haven't pulled the trigger on this one but I did find the manual for the game if anyone is interested.
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?25326-Useful-links-collection-%28docs-videos-anything-%29
I preordered last night. I blame people like Bison, Gus, and Jarhead for inciting my weak will.
Also, I'll be teaching this in two weeks. So I look at it as research.
Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 13, 2012, 03:31:48 PM
I still haven't pulled the trigger on this one but I did find the manual for the game if anyone is interested.
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?25326-Useful-links-collection-%28docs-videos-anything-%29
I find the manual to be the most complete, detailed and well-constructed I've read.
Quote from: Bismarck on September 13, 2012, 03:42:50 PM
I find the manual to be the most complete, detailed and well-constructed I've read.
Hey Jim, is it better than some of the older printed manuals for the AGE engine? Those seemed to use almost the exact same stuff but for some of the different general abilities & such. :-\
I've not read the latest ones much.
I think so.
I could not resist the pull of this game as well as finally breaking into AGEOD stuff. Is the manual now available? I'd like to read it before I start.
Quote from: Gusington on September 13, 2012, 09:02:37 PM
I could not resist the pull of this game as well as finally breaking into AGEOD stuff. Is the manual now available? I'd like to read it before I start.
uhhh I just posted it several posts ago. Starting the weekend early are you :P
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=2565.msg61825#msg61825
Sweet fancy Moses! Thanks.
Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 13, 2012, 09:04:13 PM
uhhh I just posted it several posts ago. Starting the weekend early are you :P
Give him a few hours, he may come back and ask the same question again. ;D
Hey so where's that manual?
Quote from: Gusington on September 14, 2012, 07:19:55 AM
Hey so where's that manual?
You know whats funny, your comment started a new page and when I read it I said to my self, "seriously didn't I just post that yesterday for him" I was about to hit reply and mock you further when I remembered the post before yours.....
Yup you got to wake up prreeeetttty early to get one over on me..... ;D
Feel free to jump on the mocking bandwagon anyway, lots of others do. Seems I am in the barrel permanently :/
My ploy worked.
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smileyvault.com%2Falbums%2Fstar-wars%2Fthumb_smiley-vault-star-wars-014.gif&hash=d30a10e691c77dbc074b5d0fc72ddd4b8a54f5e5)
Quote from: Nefaro on September 14, 2012, 10:23:28 AM
My ploy worked.
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smileyvault.com%2Falbums%2Fstar-wars%2Fthumb_smiley-vault-star-wars-014.gif&hash=d30a10e691c77dbc074b5d0fc72ddd4b8a54f5e5)
Awesome smiley. LB if you don't have that one it should be added to the collection.
How long do we think it'll take for this game to be released on steam?
Maybe a week?
Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 14, 2012, 06:38:15 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 14, 2012, 10:23:28 AM
My ploy worked.
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen!
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smileyvault.com%2Falbums%2Fstar-wars%2Fthumb_smiley-vault-star-wars-014.gif&hash=d30a10e691c77dbc074b5d0fc72ddd4b8a54f5e5)
Awesome smiley. LB if you don't have that one it should be added to the collection.
Why so little faith in The Force...?
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1081.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj349%2Flongblade%2FSmilies%2Femporerslightning.gif&hash=069b8617f375825ebb643ec176bf18797fb4e3aa)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1081.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj349%2Flongblade%2FSmilies%2Fholosith.gif&hash=2e50af85f168f6d0b93807dca5c4c366a8492a5d)
i consider The Blue Album to be the masterpiece of The Force.
one more day! cant wait to dive into this
I'm very excited for the game to unlock.
Quote from: Bison on September 18, 2012, 02:50:02 PM
I'm very excited for the game to unlock.
Despite my complete lack of time to play it (or Guild Wars 2, or Borderlands 2), I am also very excited!
Gus, it took me over sixty some years to have such short term memory problems. (Asking where is my hat while wearing it. Looking for my keys, while the engine is running, ad infinitum - ad nauseum.)
IN all seriousness, you may want to have that checked?
It was a joke above! Come on now.
Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 18, 2012, 04:00:45 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 18, 2012, 02:50:02 PM
I'm very excited for the game to unlock.
Despite my complete lack of time to play it (or Guild Wars 2, or Borderlands 2), I am also very excited!
Who plays the game? I just like to move the pieces around on the beautiful maps!
The Unlock patch link is in an email.
Pre-orders are armed and fully operational.
Do orders between now and Saturday still count as pre-orders in terms of being able to play?
I pre-ordered a few days ago. Is it possible to download the game yet?
Nevermind. I managed to figure out how to D/L it.
It's possible to download the game as soon as you preodered. You should also get a mail for the activation patch today. Check your spam mails...all my AGEOD mails went there...
CHeers
Just ordered it. Looking forward to some ancient strategy gaming.
Very frustrating. I was tossing and turning until about 0300 last night, checking my email every three minutes for the unlock file. It didn't come until maybe 10 minutes before I had to leave for work at around 0800. Oh well, guess I'll get my game on tonight.
Got patch this am...installed before I went to work so its ready to go tonight!!
Just patched it up, will try it out later.
Quote from: tgb on September 19, 2012, 06:42:05 AM
Do orders between now and Saturday still count as pre-orders in terms of being able to play?
You can still get the Pre-Order deal until 12PM GMT. It says that on the order page, anyway.
There's something about the
feel of the ancient setting, in this AGE engine, that is supertasticles. I'm really getting into the Roman groove.
I hope they do an ancient Persia/Greece/Wars Of Succession one soon, too!
Nefaro, let me know when your ready to start on our WW2 mod.
Quote from: mikeck on September 19, 2012, 02:14:23 PM
Nefaro, let me know when your ready to start on our WW2 mod.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffreeemoticonsandsmileys.com%2Fanimated%2520emoticons%2FBuddy%2520Animated%2520Emoticons%2Fprotest.gif&hash=6deda1dfb2dba69f623ebc1c12d6883b042f126f)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffreeemoticonsandsmileys.com%2Fanimated%2520emoticons%2FViolent%2520Animated%2520Emoticons%2Fburied.gif&hash=1f53c6e39fd4d857b2c1a7fbdedecdf4fb97972d)
:)
Looks like Slitherine is going to publish this title, too.
Downloaded, patched up, and ready to go....but in my usual position with Ageod games....intimidated and no idea where to begin:) The tutorial was short and really covered the basics only. Might actually have to read the manual.
Patched and ready. Mikeck emailed me and ordered me to stick with it or else. I am intimidated since this is my first AGEOD foray. I have the manual at the ready.
Ok I've put it off long enough and now I am trying to buy it now but I can't find the pre-order link and I've only got 15 mins! Somebody please help!
edit .... never mind I think it ended already..... :'(
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 19, 2012, 05:05:42 PM
Downloaded, patched up, and ready to go....but in my usual position with Ageod games....intimidated and no idea where to begin:) The tutorial was short and really covered the basics only. Might actually have to read the manual.
Check out these tutorial vids...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5s-jLI_VX0&playnext=1&list=PL942DAFAC3BBD13E1&feature=results_video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5s-jLI_VX0&playnext=1&list=PL942DAFAC3BBD13E1&feature=results_video)
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 19, 2012, 07:05:02 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 19, 2012, 05:05:42 PM
Downloaded, patched up, and ready to go....but in my usual position with Ageod games....intimidated and no idea where to begin:) The tutorial was short and really covered the basics only. Might actually have to read the manual.
Check out these tutorial vids...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5s-jLI_VX0&playnext=1&list=PL942DAFAC3BBD13E1&feature=results_video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5s-jLI_VX0&playnext=1&list=PL942DAFAC3BBD13E1&feature=results_video)
Cool...thanks ...I really want this to be the game I actually finish:)
Just installed the patch. I'm pretty stoked to play the game, but I'm too exhausted tonight to do anything more than process a few turns. There will be some quality time devoted to it this weekend.
Well, i played around for a few hours and i like it. I will say though that in a lot of ways this game seems to have a lot in common with PoN. Not the bad stuff like turn times, but other stuff. Seems there is a lot of provence improvements like merchants, roads, walls, etc. Also, many of the decisions have to do with raising morale. This is different from the AGE games i am used to like Rise of Prussia and Wars in America. In those, all decisions were about raising troops, building artillery, etc. Basically, the game seems to be less about operational combat (although there is plenty) and more about maintaing moral, recruitment and loyalty.
I have to say that, as with most AGEOD games, its really hard to figure out what you are supposed to do. I mean, the objectives are clear, but where to attack, when you might get reinforcements, when a certain enemy will attack you, etc is unclear. Of course, once you play awile, through trial and error, you figure it out and dont feel so lost.
One example is the Spartaacus revolt. For three turns i just kept hitting next turn because i had no army absent some urban troops. Will an army appear? Do i have to recruit an army? Stuff like that caan only be figured out by playing. It is definitly more complex than any other AGEOD game except PoN.
If this is your first AGEOD game, i can only recommend that you just play through a scenario and plan on losing. Then start again knowing that you will need alot more troops, more morale or whatever. I am a bit overwhelmed myself the same way i was with PoN.
Of course the quality and gameplay is solid.
I definitely like the Decisions, too. They work similar to the way Colonial Decisions worked in PON but these are, as Mikeck mentioned, related to national morale, loyalty, and some pacification/requisition by force. These decisions give the game a bit more complexity, sure, but it also gives the player more options on how to manipulate the people in certain locales towards their favor without necessarily having to base troops there for long periods, along with some extra economic and building options.
My first game is 'Year of the Four Emperors' and each of the three playable factions in it has a unique strategic picture at start and these few extra decisions you'll need to ponder, along with a fair dose of (random?) events and diplomatic decisions unfolding as you go, has me very impressed.
liking it so far. my first game will go down as a defeat! i need to rtfm though. i have a large stack that can get somewhere in under a month and another smaller stack that takes triple the time. not sure what im missing!
Quote from: CptHowdy on September 19, 2012, 11:40:05 PM
liking it so far. my first game will go down as a defeat! i need to rtfm though. i have a large stack that can get somewhere in under a month and another smaller stack that takes triple the time. not sure what im missing!
Does your smaller stack have a command penalty? It would be a blinking red/white number on the far right side of the army view. I think that part of the penealty is that armies move slower. I have not read the manual or done the tutorials yet so don't quote me on that.
I jumped right into The Marius vs Sulla scenario. I find that jumping right in and losing a few games is the best way to go with AGEOD games. Its a a lot better then reading the wall of text that make up their tutorials. So far I have about retaken Greece as Sulla. Getting my A** handed to me in Italy though. Can't do much about that at the moment though. Hopefully I can send Sulla's army back and leave my other army to hold Greece and hopefully begin to retake Asia Minor. Loving the game so far. I have to say that the map looks absolutely beautiful.
Hmm Similarities to PoN. Interesting.
But can anyone confirm if the interface is now seamless instead of an obvious country management layer slapped over the classic AGE engine?
Also is the documentation now sufficient to cover all aspects of the country management part?
This two things are what ruied PoN for me.
Quote from: CptHowdy on September 19, 2012, 11:40:05 PM
liking it so far. my first game will go down as a defeat! i need to rtfm though. i have a large stack that can get somewhere in under a month and another smaller stack that takes triple the time. not sure what im missing!
Yeah, as Kushan said, sounds like a command penalty. Some leaders also have a "fast mover" skill, so one of your stacks may actually be receiving a bonus.
Jomni, the similarities to PoN involved territorial choices for improvements and such....that's about it. Everythinh else mechanically is like traditional AGEOD games. The UI is standard AGEOD and certainly fits the scope of the game.
Quote from: mikeck on September 20, 2012, 07:58:13 AM
Jomni, the similarities to PoN involved territorial choices for improvements and such....that's about it. Everythinh else mechanically is like traditional AGEOD games. The UI is standard AGEOD and certainly fits the scope of the game.
I was torn between this and Napoleon, but now I'm leaning more to this game. I like the idea of 'improvments' without PON wait times!
I think I'm going to make a copy of the manual at Kinkos or something. I love my BIA and AACW paper manuals.
Just played through the tutorial scenario and plan on tackling one of the bigger ones later this weekend. This is going to be a good one.
How is the first tutorial? Wall of text - like mentioned above?
Quote from: Gusington on September 20, 2012, 06:49:39 PM
How is the first tutorial? Wall of text - like mentioned above?
I personally did not find it very useful, pretty basic stuff.
Its the standard Ageod tutorial. How to move, basic grouping, basic army commands. The manual is pretty in depth and explains alot of what the tutorial skipped over. Ultimately Mikeck said it best. Play the game and learn little by little the engine and how the game plays out. As you play Ageod games if you stick with them, the mechanics begin to "click" into place.
^Roger. I will use both the tutorials and the manual.
We should probably list some basic beginner suggestions here, since there are some AGE novices trying to learn the system.
When I fire it up next, I'll post some methinks. Stuff like:
1) Drag & drop the armies and individual units in the unit window like pieces on a board. The army tabs can also be dragged & dropped which comes in handy such as when you need to order a move over a screen away (select unit, pan to target location, click-drag the army's tab at the top of the unit window onto the map).
2) Supply is life. Don't get ahead of yours without a good cycle of supply wagons making round trips back to your nearest supply depot.
3) You can drag your army 'piece' onto an enemy army on the map to give a pursue&engage order. Your army will then attempt to follow the targeted unit until running into them or losing sight of them in the fog of war. This can also be used to order new units to join your own armies - they will then follow it until joining up.
4) Cohesion is your effectiveness. Watch those blue bars on your army units! The lower it gets, the less powerful your army will be if it gets into a scrap. Be sure to leave some time for such tired units to rest before the possibility of battle. The army tooltip will list the daily cohesion gain if the unit were to be left in it's current location - good for helping calculate about how long it will take.
More later.
Good tips Nefaro. Makes me want to fire WIA again. Not too interested in Ancient Rome but this game will still be in my watch list.
Thanks Nefaro. I feel like I am attending virtual ancient OCS.
I would add: always include cavalry in a stack where possible. Cavalry increases hour detection rating making it harder for enemy units to move through the zone you occupy. Comes in real handy in the spartacus scenario where the enemy armies are small and have good evasion ratings.
Also, don't move across.mountains and immediately attack the same turn....mountains destroy cohesion. better to stop short with a defensive stance and regain your cohesion.
Another important but likely overlooked factor; learn the effects of 'Military Control'. IIRC, defeated and routing enemies cannot retreat into neighboring provinces in which they don't have at least 5% MC in, so this kind of stuff will help when attempting to surround and eliminate 'em.
Also realize that if you have less than 5% Military Control in a location, your armies must be in an attack stance when entering. If you leave them on defensive, they will automatically change to offensive, so you'll be forced to fight anyone there (as long as you've detected them) for a foothold in this area. So having 100% MC in an area, where your army is located, makes an effective blocking situation. Smaller forces take longer to gain MC in an area than larger ones, naturally, so you won't be establishing blocking routes as quickly with one small unit as you would with a big army. Although in AJE, since each turn is 1 month, the MC tends to change faster than other games in the series so it won't be as pronounced turn-wise.
Mike's cavalry suggestion is always a good one. There's nothing more frustrating than a small enemy unit making it through what you thought was your impregnable line because you didn't have enough 'Detection Rating' to find them. Cav, of course, have the best Patrol rating so the more you have, the better chance to find the sneaky bastids. Use this and Military Control if you need to prevent enemy forces from advancing through an area.
Does anyone know what time this is supposed to unlock? I wanted to get a couple of hours in before the wife wakes up, but GGate still shows it as a "preorder"
Not sure about the gamersgate version but pretty sure the actual Ageod site version is now available and has been since 12GMT.
Just checked gamersgate and looks like available now.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-AJE/alea-jacta-est
Thanks. Downloading now.
[Never mind - the link these numbnuts attached to my account is for the Spanish language version. Customer "support" will respond within 72 hours]
^typically, you select your language when you install. Are you sure?
^When I installed my preorder I could choose between French and English. Perhaps Spanish is now an option as well?
Yes, Spanish was the only choice. However, I downloaded it again and got the right copy this time.
^Let the Legions meet! Hail the SPQR!
Hmm ... I just finished watching the first two tutorial videos. Really excellent stuff. Complex games need all the spoon fed presentation they can get. This is particularly true if you want to bring in new customers and not just carry forward the early customer base from the more basic releases.
I had loaded PON a while ago, but it seemed to be subliminally telling me between the 3-4 FPS that "you need to buy a new PC".
I think I will see if I can get a copy to check out before I pack up my PC. The time period seems interesting. The last similar period I looked at was Great Invasions, one of Phil's early designs based on the Pax Romana Engine. I thought the game play concepts were quite interesting, but the engine was problematic. AGE is far more elegant and mature.
(I got an entire archive DVD of titles [AACW, WIA, ROP, NCP, RUS, PON, ...] which except for the original BOA, I haven't played. One of these days! But I do want to load up AJE and take a quick look.)
Well I've joined the ranks of those who purchased AJE. I noticed that the game is for sale on Gamersgate for 19.99 and directly from AGEOD for 24.99. I decided to purchase directly from AGEOD for two reasons:
- To show my support for this very good game company
- To show my displeasure with Gamersgate for the order issues I've experienced in the past 6 months
I finished playing the tutorial and started the Marius/Pontus scenario. I need to cozy up with the manual a bit before I continue playing but I like what I see so far. The game feels like ACW with a splash of PrON. Methinks I'm going to like this.
Quote from: W8taminute on September 22, 2012, 07:16:28 PM
- To show my displeasure with Gamersgate for the order issues I've experienced in the past 6 months
I haven't had any issues with them
per se, but it irritates me that I can't just pay for purchases with my card, directly, and it
pisses me off that the loyalty points expire.
Well, AGEOD pockets the most on direct purchases and can certainly use it.
Now, these services allow you to download your game multiple times. The truth is AGEOD is quite small and you would get another link to your installer if you accidentally lost it simply by sending an email.
Ageod are good people to work with....I had pre ordered the game and received the demo file plus the patch to unlock. I preferred to have a full release setup file like everyone else got today on release day. I simply sent them a message and a short time later without question they sent me a link to the full install file. Good service. The other nice thing about buying directly from them is if you pre ordered, you got a bonus scenario.
Grim, did your replacement full-install exe include the bonus or is that simply a matter of a serial for same? I'd prefer to have just one file for re-install as well.
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 22, 2012, 08:40:47 PM
Grim, did your replacement full-install exe include the bonus or is that simply a matter of a serial for same? I'd prefer to have just one file for re-install as well.
Wow...did not even think about checking for that. I just did and the bonus scenario is missing. Never thought about it. I have sent Ageod a message to see if a full install exists with it, but guessing not since it was a special.
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 22, 2012, 08:40:47 PM
Grim, did your replacement full-install exe include the bonus or is that simply a matter of a serial for same? I'd prefer to have just one file for re-install as well.
I just look at it as a patch, so I'll back it up & burn them together. I believe the future updates will all "unlock" the pre-order install, too.
Quote from: Nefaro on September 22, 2012, 08:47:19 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 22, 2012, 08:40:47 PM
Grim, did your replacement full-install exe include the bonus or is that simply a matter of a serial for same? I'd prefer to have just one file for re-install as well.
I just look at it as a patch, so I'll back it up & burn them together. I believe the future updates will all "unlock" the pre-order install, too.
Not a huge deal, just would have preferred a single file.
Some excellent explanations of AJE's supply system, which is a bit different this time around.
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?25289-Game-mechanics-questions
Note to self: Just because barbarians aren't included in a scenario description, that doesn't mean you can leave Brittania undefended. Dumbasstus.
Aargh!!! I am probably not going to get to install my copy. I guess it can wait. (system migrations and shut downs begin this week)
Quote from: tgb on September 23, 2012, 06:50:12 PM
Note to self: Just because barbarians aren't included in a scenario description, that doesn't mean you can leave Brittania undefended. Dumbasstus.
I remember him, but his full Roman name was Gaius Stupidus Asinus.
Still need to load this puppy up. Anyone take this to Kinkos to print out? I was wondering how much is cost.
Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 23, 2012, 08:38:21 PM
Quote from: tgb on September 23, 2012, 06:50:12 PM
Note to self: Just because barbarians aren't included in a scenario description, that doesn't mean you can leave Brittania undefended. Dumbasstus.
I remember him, but his full Roman name was Gaius Stupidus Asinus.
Still need to load this puppy up. Anyone take this to Kinkos to print out? I was wondering how much is cost.
I thought it was Biggus Dickus.
Why do you need to print the manual? If you've ever played an Ageod game you know most of it already, and can jump to the rest.
Just bought...downloading now. Yeah, like I really needed yet another computer game.
I only bought it because I wanted to play Oblivion, but it asked me for the disk and I'm too lazy to paw through my stack of 200 CDs to find it. Give me digital, or give me death I say!
Quote from: tgb on September 23, 2012, 09:38:06 PM
Why do you need to print the manual? If you've ever played an Ageod game you know most of it already, and can jump to the rest.
It actually has a few differences in the details.
For instance you don't get VP every turn in a city you control, which has less than 51% loyalty to you, unless you leave a regular unit (not a garrison) there at the end of every turn.
The supply system is a notable change since there's no supply "push" through cities and supply depots in AJE. So what you can carry is basically what you have and the regions produce varying amounts each turn - none of which can be stocked for later use. So supply can be more difficult when it comes to big armies compared to previous games.
I've noticed these differences by reading part of the manual thus far. There's probably some other subtle changes I've not read yet, too. It's not essential, though, especially since the betas are taking the time to explain such things on the AGEOD forums.
I don't normally have manuals printed anymore. As much as I like a physical copy, putting the PDF on my iPad is more convenient and cheaper in the long run. Having it on the iPad also lets me read manuals when I'm on lunch at work without having to carry something else with me.
I've tried the Marius vs. Sulla scenario 3 times now as Sulla. I end up losing all of Italy and then can't recruit more legions. Not sure if I need to just march Sula back to Rome instead of retaking Macedonia and Greece. I started a Caesar vs Pompey campaign this afternoon, playing as Caesar. I've taken all of Italy, not hard since Italy is defenseless at the start, and Sicily. Just beginning to advance into Spain and Greece. I didn't concentrate my forces like in the scenario description but sent most of my starting forces to Spain, and recruited new legions for the Greek theater.
Really enjoying the game so far, despite my failures as Sulla. What I'm not liking is that fact that enemy forces seem to just appear in my rear areas. As I advance into Spain, Pompeian forces keep just appearing outside of Massalia in Southern France and I have to send a force to take it back. I'm not sure if they are being dropped off by ship or what, there seems to be a constant FOW over sea zones unless you have units in it.
Quote from: Toonces on September 23, 2012, 09:56:00 PM
Just bought...downloading now. Yeah, like I really needed yet another computer game.
I only bought it because I wanted to play Oblivion, but it asked me for the disk and I'm too lazy to paw through my stack of 200 CDs to find it. Give me digital, or give me death I say!
You can get Oblivion on Steam for $20.
Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 23, 2012, 08:38:21 PM
Quote from: tgb on September 23, 2012, 06:50:12 PM
Note to self: Just because barbarians aren't included in a scenario description, that doesn't mean you can leave Brittania undefended. Dumbasstus.
I remember him, but his full Roman name was Gaius Stupidus Asinus.
Still need to load this puppy up. Anyone take this to Kinkos to print out? I was wondering how much is cost.
I tried to have my local staples print it out but they wouldn't do it because of the copyright on it. First time I have ever run into that situation with a manual.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 24, 2012, 04:17:03 AM
I tried to have my local staples print it out but they wouldn't do it because of the copyright on it. First time I have ever run into that situation with a manual.
Surely if you explain to the developer or publisher, they'll email you an approval?
Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 24, 2012, 01:50:29 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 24, 2012, 04:17:03 AM
I tried to have my local staples print it out but they wouldn't do it because of the copyright on it. First time I have ever run into that situation with a manual.
Surely if you explain to the developer or publisher, they'll email you an approval?
Not sure if that would work or not...just surprised me since I have printed many other manuals before without issue. Either way, not a big issue, I'll read onlone:)
Blame Michael Eisner of Disney for the MIckey Mouse rules regarding Copyright.
so hows the gameplay? immerssion? ai? strategy?
or is everyone just...............
photocopying the manual?
it's the manual that is most appealing. turn times are short and the pages are quite colourfull.
Got it this morning! I got to squeeze in one more extra day with my PC so that I can get it loaded.
Has anyone been checking out Charles's series on Youtube? They are quite good.
Yes they are very good videos. Something that Ageod games have needed for a long time to help make them more approachable.
There's a rather good and extensive Let's Play series on Youtube for AACW. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33eKwj1F18&feature=relmfu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33eKwj1F18&feature=relmfu) There are more than 30 videos in all and the author demonstrates his attempt at an unorthodox strategy as the Union. The results are mixed, though mostly positive. I've watched most of them but haven't finished the series, yet.
Quote from: Ubercat on September 25, 2012, 11:59:40 AM
There's a rather good and extensive Let's Play series on Youtube for AACW. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33eKwj1F18&feature=relmfu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33eKwj1F18&feature=relmfu) There are more than 30 videos in all and the author demonstrates his attempt at an unorthodox strategy as the Union. The results are mixed, though mostly positive. I've watched most of them but haven't finished the series, yet.
I like that guy's video's better ^^^^.. I didn't make it through the first one for Alea Jacta EST series.. maybe I'll give it another try once i pick up the game. One thing, does the guy really have to have a video of himself in the video? I want to know what I'm missing in the lower right hand corner!!! :o..
Again, I really enjoyed Zerotasker's ACW series.. it's long, but I learned a few things here an there, and he was the first to admit that he is not an 'expert' on the game. But it's aproachable, his narration is very good, not hard to understand like some Let's Play's i've found.
Snivel ... snivel ...
I had to archive my copy and code. I've spent the last two days getting a few desktops/network migrated to a single old laptop and iPad2.
Too bad I did want to spend an hour or two with the game. Well, it will have to wait until 2013.
Quote from: undercovergeek on September 24, 2012, 06:18:37 PM
so hows the gameplay? immerssion? ai? strategy?
or is everyone just...............
photocopying the manual?
I finished my campaign as Caesar last night. The AI isn't bad IMO but it could be better. It made a couple of good moves, like invading Italy when I left it undefended and doing naval landings behind my lines. But in the end, I brought Caesar back to Italy from Greece, and I learned to keep small forces to knock out its raiding forces. It never seemed to mount a real significant attack or defense. It didn't do any major counter attacks where it tried to take on my main armies. Most of its armies consisted of 2-3 legions and occasionally support troops. When it did have a decent stack it seemed to split it forces into smaller armies. I had two main forces in the east and west (consisting of 4-6 legions and some auxilla), supported by 1-2 smaller armies of 2 legions and some cavalry each. From that particular scenario I get the feeling like I out produced the AI, and simply had a stack of doom. Maybe that particular scenario is balanced so that Caesar has the "easier" win and Pompey has things bit harder.
In my Sulla vs Marius campaigns (playing as Sulla), I feel the AI did better. The Marius AI systematically took control of my Italian cities. The AI also kept the pressure on me in Greece by sending Pontus forces via Byzantium. The Pontus forces were pretty good size stacks, so I unless I wanted to lose all of Greece, I couldn't just send Sulla back to Italy to deal with the Marius forces. I'm going to try that the next time I play the scenario to see if it works out differently.
As I said, I'm not sure if the scenarios have a favorite to win, and are designed around giving the underdog a greater challenge. That may be why Caesar felt like a cake walk, and Sulla felt a little more difficult. Both of my games were played with default difficulty settings, which I think are one step below what the developers recommend, Attrition/supply was also set to default settings.
Either way, I'm enjoying the game. Looking forward to having to having Early/late Roman republic scenarios next year.
I believe some of the testers mentioned that the available supplies in the system need to be further reduced so that those big Doomstacks melt away much faster when in the same spot.
I've had at least one situation where my 4+ legion army has had some brief supply problems but not enough to actually start taking noticeable losses. Obviously the AI is overly cautious about the supply situation and it's not quite that bad in reality. Fixy fixy!
I'm not sure how constrained it should be for this period, myself. Just how many men/legions in a single army could be expected to live off the land while on the march in the Roman period without losing many of their numbers to malnutrition, disease, deseration, etc? Kushan's 6 legions sounds too big, to me. I'm not even sure if my 4+ one would be tenable in quite a few locales and that one was marching through modern day Switzerland.
Playing as Caesar or sulla is somewhat easy. try the big scenario as Pompey or the "Marius v Sulla" as Marius for a challenge. I am an ageod vet and have not beaten Sulla with Marius. Also, make sure the AI gets "extra time" and has a medium fog of war advantage.Pompey and Marius is where its at!
Yea, I'm pretty sure my 6 legions isn't that realistic. I had a 6-8 supply wagons with them. I never built one supply wagon, they just appeared in captured cities or where at battle had been fought. I assume they had been captured from the enemy. I obviously don't read the message log as thoroughly as I should. I never really did have a supply shortage with the wagons. When they got low I would rest the army in passive mode in a coastal city to resupply. I think cohesion should be tweaked a little bit as well. The only time I noticed mine drop significantly was when I marched one of my forces from the far end of Iberia back Italy. Took 3 turns to get back, rested them for 2-3 and they were ready for action.
If I recall from my time on the RTW EB temp years ago, a typical consular legion during the republican era was 2 roman and 1-2 allied legions. The only reason created my doom stack was to counter a few that the AI had, but the AI didn't seem to concentrate its forces on one spot. The Italian raiders arrived at once, then split into 4-6 smaller forces.
Thanks mikeck. I figured that scenarios were balanced so that one side had it easier the the other. I do have give extra AI checked. I'll set the AI detection range up to its recommended setting. I'm also going to set attrition up to a higher setting, for myself and not the AI if possible.
Quote from: undercovergeek on September 24, 2012, 06:18:37 PM
so hows the gameplay? immerssion? ai? strategy?
or is everyone just...............
photocopying the manual?
Gameplay is quick and smooth. Lots of fun things to do. The AI is enterprising, even sneaky. I haven't played enough
to comment on overall strategic fun, but it looks promising.
Is there difference between the versions from Matrix, GamersGate and ageod?
Besides the obvious giving the money directly to ageod :)
Quote from: Cougar_DK on October 08, 2012, 01:37:58 PM
Is there difference between the versions from Matrix, GamersGate and ageod?
Besides the obvious giving the money directly to ageod :)
Not that I am aware of besides likely the download/install method. It was originally a better deal to download from Ageod because you got earlier and extra scenario.
I'm loving this game. It's getting alot of attention from me - and I don't get the era - no historical knowledge of the time at all.
It's got immersion - a seemingly good AI (or I am very poor - which is also true mind) - brilliant graphics and gameplay seems fairly swift.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 08, 2012, 01:48:12 PM
Quote from: Cougar_DK on October 08, 2012, 01:37:58 PM
Is there difference between the versions from Matrix, GamersGate and ageod?
Besides the obvious giving the money directly to ageod :)
Not that I am aware of besides likely the download/install method. It was originally a better deal to download from Ageod because you got earlier and extra scenario.
Thanks GR
1. Rome, nice city and all.
2. Caesar, the evil twat that lost agains a little Gallic village.
3. Augustus likes Britain but does love the Med even more.
4. Claudius takes over Britain.
5. Roman Legionairs invent soccer in Britannia in 41 dc
How are the AGEOD veterans here liking AJE compared to previous releases?
I wouldn't call myself a veteran - but I'd like to pass my thoughts on...
I had Birth of America - and liked it after a while
I got Wars in America - and fired it up occasionally but never really got into it
I got American Civil War - and I wanted to like it - but I just kept firing it up and looking and going "Oh my god" and getting the hell out of there
I got ProN and fired it up and left!
I got AJE and didn't fire it up for the first couple of weks of having it - and I actually love this game! It's kicking my arse and I'm still getting a buzz out of playing it!
Well WELL worth the money - what was it? Like £19 or something? Crazy value for money.
^I feel a certain kinship with what you have posted. I have some AGEOD titles but have always been intimidated. I already own AJE! I need some precious time to immerse myself. Knowing that a similar person to me is loving it gives me confidence :)
Better than PoN; more depth than WiA or ACW.
Accessible depth?
Quote from: Gusington on October 08, 2012, 03:58:52 PM
Accessible depth?
Since there's no intricate Army organization required, it's certainly more accessible. That doesn't mean it's easy per se, but it's more like Wars In America with the extra unit creation and region decisions available of later games in the series.
^Fair enough. Most importantly I guess what I am asking is if the complexity is still fun. If it is, then I have a lot to be psyched about. If AJE feels like work to get to the good stuff it will be much harder for me to stick with it for the payoff.
I dunno. I just can't relate how it is to a relative newcomer since I've been playing the AGE games off & on for years. What seems simple drag & drop to me can be confusing to others. *shrug*
So when if I said it's pretty easy to get into, keep in mind that I'm measuring it by the others which a number of people find confusing.
The game itself has a rather immersive feel to it IMO but that could just be because I always look forward to an ancients setting, and the quality AGE interface artwork always adds a nice flavor.
I love AGEOD games. That said AJE is my favorite with the exception of Rise of Prussia. To me era of RoP is fascinating and it is the perfect balance. You get to organize corps and armies (which is lacking in AJE) and get to recruit and pick events like im AJE. It does lack the province decisions of AJE though. Like is said before Gus, if you pick one, stick with it and learn it...you can then play all of them.
I'd love to see one covering the long era of European wars from the late 1600s through 1700s. PON-light prequel? :D
.. and more ancients, of course.
Quote from: Gusington on October 08, 2012, 03:33:07 PM
How are the AGEOD veterans here liking AJE compared to previous releases?
I've played them all. I would have preferred RUS, but it never quite worked at least when I was playing it.
So, it seems like the best AGEOD game so far. I'm hoping for some expansions: Vandals, Justinian, Heraclitus, lots of Persians, Islam,
Pepin the Short, Charles Martel etc.
Best AGEOD so far??
I too hope for a Fall of the Roman Empire module/expansion...Vandals would be choice. As would Goths. And Persians.
The fall is always more interesting than the rise for me.
lol...you should be playing my game...it's definitely the fall of Rome.
I would be willing to give my save to someone. It'd be interesting to see how they fare compared to me...see if Rome can be salvaged
I am positive that my first foray into this won't result in a win for me either. With so many not really knowing what they are doing yet, I know I'll be lost too. I am Just hoping for the patience to soldier on once I start.
I was going to review this a month ago but was pulled off track by editorial demands so many of you now have more experience with AJE. Which scenario would make for the best review? Thanks.
The mithradic war scenario is good. Romans vs Pontus in the east and the Sertorious rebels in Spain. Just stay away from the Spartacus scenario....it is much too limited.
Roger. Thanks :)
If anyone is curious about the background to the Mithradatic war, here is an excellent study:
http://www.amazon.com/MITHRIDATES-GREAT-Romes-Indomitable-Enemy/dp/1844158349
The official 1.01 update was just released today.
Stick a fork in it, 'cause it's done!
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?26981-AJE-Officiial-Patch-1-01
GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm overwelmed with the number of awesome wargames that have come out recently.
My WWI fixation has overode my ancient Rome obsession. For now.
Quote from: Bison on November 16, 2012, 05:09:22 PM
GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm overwelmed with the number of awesome wargames that have come out recently.
+1
Quote from: Gusington on November 16, 2012, 07:46:46 PM
My WWI fixation has overode my ancient Rome obsession. For now.
Mine hasn't. But it's also moving back towards the ACW so I'm back to eyeing Scourge of War expansions, too. I'm all over the damn place right now. Confuzzled.
It will be OK. Here, drink this.
Quote from: Nefaro on November 17, 2012, 06:36:19 AM
[
Mine hasn't. But it's also moving back towards the ACW so I'm back to eyeing Scourge of War expansions, too. I'm all over the damn place right now. Confuzzled.
As opposed to when?
Quote from: Bismarck on November 17, 2012, 11:44:43 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 17, 2012, 06:36:19 AM
[
Mine hasn't. But it's also moving back towards the ACW so I'm back to eyeing Scourge of War expansions, too. I'm all over the damn place right now. Confuzzled.
As opposed to when?
I think it's getting worse.
Enough so to become completely indecisive every time I sit here and wonder what to play. Another one of those quandary periods. :-\
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fhighfivetothat.files.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F06%2Fgil-head-explode-again.gif%3Fw%3D584&hash=bf15ddf594e63bf194ce853b86142fe8839eb545)
I shouldn't talk. A review of AJE and re-learning Guns of August have drained me. Today, I'm just watching early Hitchcock and Midsomer Murders.
Quote from: Bismarck on November 17, 2012, 07:16:47 PM
I shouldn't talk. A review of AJE and re-learning Guns of August have drained me. Today, I'm just watching early Hitchcock and Midsomer Murders.
I'm not going to lie. I instantly inserted Matlock after the words "I'm just watching early..."
Nothing wrong with Matlock.
I actually used to watch Matlock, but he's no Quincy. I'll tell you that much.
I'll see your Quincy and raise you a Mannix and M Squad.
I do agree, Quincy was the man. Mannix and M Squad are before my time :)
Quote from: Gusington on November 18, 2012, 12:51:00 PM
I do agree, Quincy was the man. Mannix and M Squad are before my time :)
What, no love for the rumpled raincoat and the glass eye?
Gus's mum?
My mom has ironed her coat.
Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2012, 08:04:05 AM
My mom has ironed her coat.
That sounds like code for something...
It is.
It's a code for "One more thing".
Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2012, 08:17:26 AM
It is.
So Peter Falk was your mom? That must make Kate Mulgrew your dad.... :o
Exactly. I am outed.
I also got Alea Jacta Est for xmas.
It Is Big and Pretty. Mmmmmmmmm.
All in a period of History unstudied by myself.
The Romans were the toga guys with haircuts
I think. And everybody else was us. Yay!
Quote from: Longdan on January 02, 2013, 09:06:02 PMThe Romans were the toga guys with haircuts I think. And everybody else was us. Yay!
This is by far my favorite forum quote of the year so far. ;D
Thank you Jason. Actually it is Roman Civil War. But the other part is true.
AJE Patch 1.02 is out:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27919-AJE-Official-Patch-1-02
Looks like they're also going to be having DLC available in the next few days. Cantabrian Wars up first.. and then it looks like the First Punic War will be coming after that. 8)
Note: Being a pre-orderer, with my pre-order installer and all, I got some strange email containing (what I guess to be) an update to the Spartacus scenario for 1.02. I didn't quite understand what PhilThib's mass-mail was on about but it looks like those of us with the pre-order version will also have to use that file attached in the email, after updating to 1.02..?
birth of Rome will be out on the 29th of January. is this an expansion or stand alone?
http://matrixgames.com/news/999/Ageod.travels.back.to.the.Birth.of.Rome
Quote from: jomni on January 22, 2013, 05:23:47 PM
birth of Rome will be out on the 29th of January. is this an expansion or stand alone?
http://matrixgames.com/news/999/Ageod.travels.back.to.the.Birth.of.Rome
Looks like stand-alone...
Quote
As a full standalone release, Birth of Rome does not require Alea Jacta Est.
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27995-Birth-of-Rome-Release-Anouncement&p=260813#post260813
Not sue I understand the strategy of bor compared to Aje. So these will be totally separate games with their own dlc paths? Just not sure why bor wasn't released as an expansion versus full game since cant really see any major feature differences. Seems like this can become a little confusing sort of like when combat mission Italy was released as a a stand alone:) developers should keep t simple but thinking it likely allows them to make more money.
I would much rather have one core product with expansions versus separate products, especially if not major differences.....I would even be willing to pay the same cost to keep simple:)
Well. If you own AJE, it simply adds them as additional scenarios I believe. Or, you can buy it as a stand alone. Similar to scourge of war and its Chancellorsville expansion
Quote from: mikeck on January 22, 2013, 07:39:03 PM
Well. If you own AJE, it simply adds them as additional scenarios I believe. Or, you can buy it as a stand alone. Similar to scourge of war and its Chancellorsville expansion
Pretty sure complete stand alone unless I missed something in their advertisements.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 22, 2013, 07:42:15 PM
Quote from: mikeck on January 22, 2013, 07:39:03 PM
Well. If you own AJE, it simply adds them as additional scenarios I believe. Or, you can buy it as a stand alone. Similar to scourge of war and its Chancellorsville expansion
Pretty sure complete stand alone unless I missed something in their advertisements.
Read it that way as well, they stated a New Game from.... The Cantabrian Wars – 29 BC, The Spartacus Revolt – 73 BC is considered the DLC. I have to say, AJE was one of my favorite games of last year and I still play it a lot. This one has me baffled a little because an expansion was an insta buy, will it have new features, added content etc(?) that is the question. Have to wait and see how the pricing is.
PE
I got the Email too and saved the patch somewhere where I HOPEFULLY won't forget it the next time I purge my rig and reinstall everything.
If I'm going to have to fiddle with separate patches for every DLC I buy, I probably won't bother buying them. There's too much stuff to keep track of on my PC as it is. The base scenarios are pretty good.
Hmm, not sure then. Doesn't make sense to have people purchase a whole new game everytime new scenarios come out but whatever. Either way , early Roman history doesn't do much for me so either way I'm taking a pass. Hit me with Caesars Gallic wars or the dacian wars and I'm game
There is some info (albeit somewhat confusing info) in this Ageod thread (http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27732-BOR-First-AJE-Expansion/page2) (starting around post #44). If I read it right, it seems that future DLC will/may be compatible with both games? ???
I can understand their reasoning, different time periods may appeal to different customers etc..... however, I hope they discount the stand alone for those who own AJE. I will not pay full price for a game that is essentially another set of scenarios, no matter how much I would like to have them.
PE
Quote from: PanzersEast on January 23, 2013, 08:59:17 AM
I can understand their reasoning, different time periods may appeal to different customers etc..... however, I hope they discount the stand alone for those who own AJE. I will not pay full price for a game that is essentially another set of scenarios, no matter how much I would like to have them.
PE
That will be the interesting thing to find out....how they are differentiating between DLC content and stand alone products. If the stand alone has more than just scenarios, I can understand that. Otherwise, scratching my head.
I thought it a bit odd to have numerous standalones, too. Seems like this is the latest Matrix Games trend after they picked up SOW.
It's not such a big issue with AJE, if the amount of scenarios or estimated play-time is similar to the original. Because the original was only $20! If that pricepoint is kept, then it probably won't bother me much - unless there isn't a comparable amount of aforementioned scenario content.
According to this thread over at Matrix, Birth of Rome is not standalone
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3252158 (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3252158)
Day 1 purchase for me. I've always preferred the rise and late republican eras rather then the imperial era.
That may be old news/original intent, but both Ageod and Matrixgames just in the past day or two, have said its stand-alone. Here is a quote from the news release (http://www.matrixgames.com/news/999/Ageod.travels.back.to.the.Birth.of.Rome) at Matrixgames...
Quote
Samnites, the Senones, the Greeks and the Carthaginians were Romes first enemies and great leaders such as Pyrrhus and Hannibal fought to defend their lands. It was the start of an entire era of wars for domination, where innovation in military equipment was the key to success.
Birth of Rome is the new turn-based strategy game from Ageod (www.ageod.com) telling the story of those first epic wars that led to the unification of Italy and started Rome's quest for global domination. The game uses the acclaimed AGE engine and is developed using the game structure and mechanics of Alea Jacta Est.
Birth of Rome features five scenarios from the 3rd Samnite War in 298 and 291 BC to the long and arduous First Punic War that raged from 264 to 241 BC. Birth of Rome features a particular emphasis on fleets and sea power, as they were vital to ensure control of the seas and maritime supply. As a full standalone release, Birth of Rome does not require Alea Jacta Est.
Birth of Rome is a true simulation where players are challenged to create armies and fleets, organize and maneuver them, sustain and reinforce them. All the time taking into account military, economic, political and diplomatic parameters.
Yay confusion!
I have cut and pasted this post from the Ageod forums which might bring some clarity.
Current Official status is simple, PhilThib has already said it:
- BOR will be a standalone game, with it's own install path, desktop shortcut, etc, and will not need AJE to work, of course.
- AJE current version is 1.02. AJE patches are NOT for BOR
- current owners of AJE, if they buy BOR, will have two games: BOR (with BOR scenarios) and AJE (with AJE scenarios)
- current available DLCs (Spartacus and Cantabrian wars) are meant for AJE
- the price of BOR will be around 20€, as it always was supposed to be, even when we planned it as an expansion
Regards
This whole thing honestly annoys me. He also said you could play the AJE DLC scenarios in BOR. So why the hell force to seperate game file paths? I don't really find the if people don't want AJE they can get BOR explanation to be a satisfying. They should have just done what Matrix did with SoW and make the game either a stand alone install or an expansion install into the AJE folders. I personally don't want 4, 5, 6 or whatever the end number of AJE base games each with a seperate file path. Honestly it annoys me with the CMX2 WW2 series too.
Quote from: Bison on January 25, 2013, 10:30:25 PM
This whole thing honestly annoys me. He also said you could play the AJE DLC scenarios in BOR. So why the hell force to seperate game file paths? I don't really find the if people don't want AJE they can get BOR explanation to be a satisfying. They should have just done what Matrix did with SoW and make the game either a stand alone install or an expansion install into the AJE folders. I personally don't want 4, 5, 6 or whatever the end number of AJE base games each with a seperate file path. Honestly it annoys me with the CMX2 WW2 series too.
Agreed. If the new game has no new features which appears to be the case, this should just be an expansion. This will become really confusing when you have different patches and dlc across all these versions. I am sure somehow they think this will make them more money.
And it's completely silly. People who like Ageod games are going to buy the damn thing even if the expansions are priced at the same price as the base game. Given Matrix/Slitherine price model you aren't too likely to see AJE or BOR fall to gamersgate/steam cheap sales prices ever so I don't see any reason financially or frankly the practicality of the whole thing to publish it this way.
Can't argue that....I am with you but I doubt they will change their strategy at this point. Guessing fans of the game will buy either way.
I'd like to see them install to the same path (if they use the same engine), even if they're standalones. There's no sense in having multiple duplicated program files in different locations is there?
I'll take it either way, however. I want to have PhilThib's grog-baby. :-*
Seems like BOR is now available at the Ageod site. I didn't fully try it myself since I am on the fence with this one. Appears to be $24.99 USD, which I guess equals about $5 per included scenario.
http://www.ageod.com/en/45-birth-of-rome.html
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 28, 2013, 06:28:17 PM
Seems like BOR is now available at the Ageod site. I didn't fully try it myself since I am on the fence with this one. Appears to be $24.99 USD, which I guess equals about $5 per included scenario.
http://www.ageod.com/en/45-birth-of-rome.html
Although at the moment it appears the checkout has some kind of bug...forces you to choose a physical shipment which adds like $10 to the order...maybe they are still getting things ready.
I'm a dirty little AGEOD whore...but I'm passing on this. I don't have much interest in early roman history...basically, anything pre- Punic wars. Makes me a sad panda
Quote from: mikeck on January 28, 2013, 06:51:43 PM
I'm a dirty little AGEOD whore...but I'm passing on this. I don't have much interest in early roman history...basically, anything pre- Punic wars. Makes me a sad panda
For me, the early years are the most interesting as you can watch the Roman system evolve.
Something for everyone. I am still a little perturbed that this is standalone...seems like selling packs of scenarios as DLC would be better.
Sounds like the way John Tiller markets his games (as separate titles).
I read this in the matrix forum...if it's correct, i think it's a good solution (afaik, this is working likewise with Scourge of War: Chancellorsville)
QuoteIt's not a DLC if that's what you mean. Birth of Rome does not require ownership of Alea Jacta Est as it is a stand alone product all by itself but if you already happen to own AJE, BOR will add its new scenarios & expand certain parts of the basic AJE game.
Quote from: Anguille on January 29, 2013, 04:35:00 AM
I read this in the matrix forum...if it's correct, i think it's a good solution (afaik, this is working likewise with Scourge of War: Chancellorsville)
QuoteIt's not a DLC if that's what you mean. Birth of Rome does not require ownership of Alea Jacta Est as it is a stand alone product all by itself but if you already happen to own AJE, BOR will add its new scenarios & expand certain parts of the basic AJE game.
I am pretty certain the developers over at ageod have made it clear it is a separate install and will not automatically merge the two products together. In fact they recently posted where they discouraged copying the scenarios into Aje since they can't guarantee they will work and might promote piracy. Look at post 104.
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27732-BOR-First-AJE-Expansion/page4
As much as I want to purchase (Early Rome is every interesting, First Punic War) however I will hold off for now..... not sure $25.00 is the right price point for 5 scenarios, maybe it is just me.
PLEASE.... give me CK2 set in the Early Rome era.
PE
Quote from: Anguille on January 29, 2013, 04:35:00 AM
I read this in the matrix forum...if it's correct, i think it's a good solution (afaik, this is working likewise with Scourge of War: Chancellorsville)
QuoteIt's not a DLC if that's what you mean. Birth of Rome does not require ownership of Alea Jacta Est as it is a stand alone product all by itself but if you already happen to own AJE, BOR will add its new scenarios & expand certain parts of the basic AJE game.
No, scourge merges the games. So if you owned Gettysburg already, Antietam and Chancellorsville install as add on scenarios even though that latter can be purchased as a stand alone...the way AGEOD should have done it
AJE and BOR just got their official 1.02 update released!
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?28692-BOR-Official-patch-1-02a
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?28691-AJE-Official-Patch-1-02a
Necro'd the $&!@ out if this thread, but just saw this at matrix:
"Hannibal: Terror of Rome is an Alea Jacta Est game currently in development, which has as its main focus the Second Punic War when Rome was threatened by the invading army of Hannibal Barca. Ageod will also be showing two other games. One of which will be announced shortly, the other one we will be announcing at the event itself."
I know I have been looking forward to this.
http://www.ageod.co.uk/news/1379/Home.of.Wargamers.-.New.Games.Revealed.
Oh hell yes!
I knew they were gonna do one for the 2nd Punic War but I hadn't heard much about it recently. 8)
Nice!
Excellent news! Time to dust off my copies of BOR and AJE and get back in practice.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 29, 2013, 05:50:19 AM
Quote from: Anguille on January 29, 2013, 04:35:00 AM
I read this in the matrix forum...if it's correct, i think it's a good solution (afaik, this is working likewise with Scourge of War: Chancellorsville)
QuoteIt's not a DLC if that's what you mean. Birth of Rome does not require ownership of Alea Jacta Est as it is a stand alone product all by itself but if you already happen to own AJE, BOR will add its new scenarios & expand certain parts of the basic AJE game.
I am pretty certain the developers over at ageod have made it clear it is a separate install and will not automatically merge the two products together. In fact they recently posted where they discouraged copying the scenarios into Aje since they can't guarantee they will work and might promote piracy. Look at post 104.
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27732-BOR-First-AJE-Expansion/page4
It is a separate install. There was some criticism about drive bloat with having the two games, but I understand they can be merged successfully saving unnecessary duplication of files when you come to play. IIRC, I mention this in my earlier review http://grogheads.com/?p=1824#more-1824 Philippe Malacher (Pocus) gave me a workaround for this at the time, which has worked perfectly for me. Try it. :)
Some new preview pics of Hannibal: Terror of Rome - http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35652-Preview-Hannibal-Terror-of-Rome&p=315579 (http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35652-Preview-Hannibal-Terror-of-Rome&p=315579)
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 29, 2013, 05:50:19 AM
Quote from: Anguille on January 29, 2013, 04:35:00 AM
I read this in the matrix forum...if it's correct, i think it's a good solution (afaik, this is working likewise with Scourge of War: Chancellorsville)
QuoteIt's not a DLC if that's what you mean. Birth of Rome does not require ownership of Alea Jacta Est as it is a stand alone product all by itself but if you already happen to own AJE, BOR will add its new scenarios & expand certain parts of the basic AJE game.
I am pretty certain the developers over at ageod have made it clear it is a separate install and will not automatically merge the two products together. In fact they recently posted where they discouraged copying the scenarios into Aje since they can't guarantee they will work and might promote piracy. Look at post 104.
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27732-BOR-First-AJE-Expansion/page4
Even so - Pocus gave me a solution to avoid drive bloat with AGE/BOR, which I posted in the BOR article I did a while back. IIRC you copy the AJE scenarios, and textures to the BOR folder. Check it out properly though, as I can't remember off the cuff whether that was all that was required. It worked for me without any problems. And you save a huge amount of HDD space that otherwise gets taken up by redundant files!
Hannibal will be stand alone, but again IIRC if you already have AJE/BOR it will be this time treated automatically as a scenario pack for AJE/BOR depending on what you're using. No need to manually cut and paste bits, and mess around with 2 installs. There is a point of view that this is what should have happened first time around. Anyway, it should be all very easy now, with no uneccessary drive bloat.
Hannibal: Terror of Rome Released. $20.
Quote
http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1450/Hannibal:.Terror.of.Rome.Released!
The Alea Jacta Est series expands with a standalone release centered on Hannibal's campaigns.
Hannibal - the legendary Carthaginian military commander - is reviewing his troops before the battle. Today he's waging one of his most important campaigns with the release of Terror of Rome, the latest installment of the Alea Jacta Est Series!
In this new Grand Strategy game using the AGEod engine, you will be able to join the Roman or the Carthaginian forces and relive one of the biggest clash of Ancient History with only one goal in mind: vying for hegemony in Mediterranean territories.
Hannibal: Terror of Romeis a true simulation that puts you in the place of the main commanders of the Ancient World. You will be in charge of building, managing, organizing and maneuvering armies, whilst taking into account the economic, military and political situation. The game is built on the renowned AGE engine and offers a comprehensive level of detail and historical accuracy.
The game features five historical scenarios:
The First Illyrian War(230-228 BC) sees Rome opposing the aggressive Illyrian pirates and the Greek cities of the South in the Adriatic Sea. To contain the pirate's activity, military forces were sent by the Achaean League and even Rome. For the first time the Roman consuls focus on the East.
The Cisalpine War(225-222 BC) confronts Rome with a ferocious Celtic tribe. It's time for revenge as these Gallic warriors sacked Rome in 390 BC.
The Second Punic War(219-201 BC) is a major campaign that starts even before the clash between Rome and Carthage; with Roman legions fighting in the Second Illyrian War, and Carthage finishing its conquest of Hispania...
Cannae(216-201 BC) begins with panic in the Roman army after its catastrophic defeat at the Battle of Cannae. The scenario starts with the withdrawal of Syracuse, Capua and Taranto from the war in Italy. The situation is critical!
Scipio Africanus (211-201 BC) narrates the Spanish campaigns of the best Roman general of the war, and his final fight against Hannibal in Africa.
Note this is a stand-alone game that does not require the Alea Jacta Est base game to play.
At that price, I'll be buying it sooner rather than later. 8)
AJE is now available on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/313660/) and is $9.99 for the first week.
http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1548/Another.wargaming.classic.lands.on.Steam!
...ninja'd by Kushan in the Sales thread :))
Can anyone comment on the quality of the DLC for AJE that's also available on Steam now? Cantabrian Wars and Spartacus? They are cheap, but was just wondering how much meat there is to them.
I have Spartacus but never played that scenario. It's small/short in relation to all the others in the base game. So the larger ones always got my attention.
Cantabrian Wars is smaller but not especially easy. I haven't tried Spartacus although I have it.
Incidentally, nice to see Groghead's AJE review prominently displayed on the Steam product page. Not sure who reviewed, else I'd give credit where due.
Will have to buy at this price...
Newbie question... I bought AJE, and was playing the tutorial, and couldn't figure out a way to slow down the turn resolution. My armies move a lightning speed across the map, and it makes it a bit hard to follow what's going on. Is there an option to slow it down?
Thanks in advance!
I *think* if you go into the game Options, then "Media" and click the last box on "Focus on Move" it'll effectively slow things down. The default is "No Focus" so the game doesn't pause or move to the region where a unit moves at the end of a move. That last box should cause the focus to move to the region where the unit moved and then delay for a time. The other boxes shorten the delay if the game is pausing too long - if I remember correctly.
Hi guys,
For those of you who just bought the game and are new to the series, we are going to do a live gaming session on our Twitch channel (http://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup/) today at 20:00 CET (14:00 EST). Here we will go over the basics of the game and gameplay rules to make it easier for you to jump in :)
Cheers,
Surtur