First real trailer for X Rebirth. Looks like I will be building a new PC over the next few months :) I have built a new one ever since watching the gameplay slideshow that happened when I tried to run Beyond The Frontier on a P55 :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNs1rdSkUi8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNs1rdSkUi8)
Darkspire
Simply breathtaking...
Wow that looks good.
WOW! Just WOW!.
Between being able to actually walk around your ship and space stations and the shear scale of the game, only being able to pilot one ship isn't such a big deal anymore. And given the X modding community I'm sure that ability will be added in time.
Still no word on when it will come out?
Holy crap that's beautiful. Not sure it will ever come out though.Lol
Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 08, 2013, 12:27:39 PM
Still no word on when it will come out?
'Egosoft and Deep Silver will bring the next giant leap in space combat and exploration to fans in Europe on November 15, and Tri Synergy is bringing it to North America on November 19th!'
Quote from: Kushan on August 08, 2013, 12:27:08 PM
WOW! Just WOW!.
Between being able to actually walk around your ship and space stations and the shear scale of the game, only being able to pilot one ship isn't such a big deal anymore. And given the X modding community I'm sure that ability will be added in time.
And the cockpit is back is as well ;D did have some doubts watching this grow over the last few years but having seen all the bits put together it really does seem to be the X I have been waiting for since X2 and the canceled 'The Return', The X games after that were good but just did not have the same atmosphere and immersion as X2, looks like a return to the old UI with added ship characters and the long asked and waited for ability to enter the complexes and ships FPS.
Can't wait ;D
This video explains the scale, really blew me away when I first saw it, the trailer only scratches the surface ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEbL1p5vZpw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEbL1p5vZpw)
Darkspire
Sweet! I'll definately get this upon release. I wasted countless nights playing X3 Reunion when I lived abroad. Alone killing the time in between shifts.
Rebirth looks awesome!!
Wow! Please, please, please don't let this suck! It looks like Privateer on steroids! Potential awesomeness!
Also a controller vid:
Steam page here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/2870/
Looks great, but I am going to remain circumspect. Egosoft has proven themselves to be dedicated game devs, but this looks like a massively ambitious project, even for them. Add in the fact that the game is almost two years overdue, something that suggests more than a few development problems. This game is either going to take off like a rocket and be an instant classic, or it is going to be one of those over-ambitious projects that people will say "it
could have been great if only...." Knowing gaming, I fear the latter is far more likely. But here's hoping for the former!
Edit: Anybody going to be in Germany at the end of the month?
QuoteWe'd like to invite all our fans to visit the gamescom during the 22nd to 25th of August in Cologne. You will have the chance to play the new Egosoft title for the first time in public at the Deep Silver booth in hall 9.1 B11/C10. Be among the very first to set foot in the new universe of X Rebirth and gain a quick impression of its looks and gameplay.
Yeah, I'm hoping the comments don't have the dreaded "the game has a lot of potential"
I like how you can move around your ship... Even just a little. Helps immersion
Wow. Please let this live up to the trailer and not suck!
Between this, Star Citizen, and Elite: Dangerous we have to get at least one good one, right? Right?!
I haven't played an X title before. What type of game is it?
Quote from: jomni on August 08, 2013, 07:01:10 PM
I haven't played an X title before. What type of game is it?
Like Eve Online or Freelancer. It is a single player space sim where you explore, trade and fight your way to building a business empire. The game is incredibly deep, but it has one of the toughest learning curves in all of gaming. It is not a steep learning curve as much as a hostile learning curve. ;D Sometimes I think the devs did everything they could to scare people away from trying their game!
Here is a vid:
Here's a trailer for the 1.0 version:
It's just a big sandbox space trader game. You can fight and blow stuff up, you can take on missions to deliver things, you can do trade runs or you can build a trading/manufacturing empire by getting a hold of multiple trading ships and building stations. You can also get an armada of warships and go around enforcing whatever the hell it is you want. There is a campaign but its really just a single player open sandbox
Sounds good. As long as it's not really an RPG and 4X then I'm good to go.
I'll be watching this. Is it worth playing X3 or something?
Fantastic.
I am hoping (I don't recall it being mentioned specifically in the build trailer) that there's a reason for going onto bases...as in a "mission machine" or meeting people to get a mission and the like.
But it looks fantastic, sounds fantastic and I can't wait. Definite buy - even though I barely scratched the surface of X3, Terran Conflict or Albion Prelude...I've always wanted more (back to that gaming problem I have where I want a game and then just can't play it because it's exactly what I wanted!)
Quote from: jomni on August 08, 2013, 10:17:41 PM
Sounds good. As long as it's not really an RPG and 4X then I'm good to go.
I'll be watching this. Is it worth playing X3 or something?
Not really a 4x in the Distant Worlds / GalCiv sense, you do Explore, Expand, Exploit and Exterminate but you do not have the planet control, you can build an empire though if you want to, your choice of what type using space bases, goods factories, equipment docks, weapons factories etc. It is a sandbox Economic / Space Trader / Space Fleets / Space Battles / do what you want type game, it does have a fairly mean learning curve as has been mentioned but the forums are a friendly place and you will always get help there, the tutorials go back years so there is a comprehensive back library of material. Not to sure about Rebirth with the added characters / crew but the previous games were not really RPG's, the only being that leveled up was yourself with the experience and still finding new things to do six months down the line. Have a look on Steam for the X-Superbox, it has all the games on up to Albion Prelude, although that may now be included (not a steam fan / user)
For anyone wanting to try Reunion and / or Terran Conflict, there mods but are up to industry standard, both come with full manuals, and really increase the experience, the modders that created X-Tended Reunion went on to work with creating Terran Conflict with Egosoft so the Xtended version for that is really an expansion for the game .
X3 Reunion X-tended .7 trailer
X3 Terran Conflict X-Tended - Trailer
Darkspire
A bit more info and a hands on for those lucky enough to be in the area.
Quote
Release date
The action-loaded space simulation from Egosoft and Deep Silver will be released in Europe on the 15th of November 2013. "After seven years in development, people are naturally wondering why X Rebirth took so much time," says Egosoft's Studio Head Bernd Lehahn. "The reason for this is the sheer scope of our project. We not only want our universe to be huge, we want it to be huge and teeming with life. To me, the success of the Star Citizen funding shows that many people are waiting for our kind of game. A single factory compound in X Rebirth may consist of hundreds of buildings, some of which are so large that ships measuring kilometers in length can dock inside them. The player can even disembark in order to explore the station and meet its inhabitants."
There's also some good news for our fans in North America: Egosoft and Tri Synergy will be releasing X Rebirth on the 19th of November 2013 for the US market.
We'd like to invite all our fans to visit the gamescom during the 22nd to 25th of August in Cologne. You will have the chance to play the new Egosoft title for the first time in public at the Deep Silver booth in hall 9.1 B11/C10. Be among the very first to set foot in the new universe of X Rebirth and gain a quick impression of its looks and gameplay.
Darkspire
It's available for pre-order now, except for the English Collector's Edition. Details on that version will follow later.
I am getting a tiny bit worried;
Min specs for the processor call for an Intel i-series or AMD equivalent... I am still running a Core 2 Quad processor.
Other than that my system meets the recommended specs. Do you think this might turn out to be a problem for me?
You think you have it bad? My CPU is a Dual Core 1.8 GHz. I'm not even going to attempt to play this. :( :( :(
The X-games are notorious for bringing even powerful configs to its knees when the game first gets released...
I hope this time around the game will be properly optimized and there will be enough options to tailor the game to run on older rigs. My graphics card won't be the problem, but my CPU might be a bottleneck here, depending on how much data the game send by the CPU.
I remember buying X3 and being unable to play it until I'd upgraded to my current PC. However, my CPU isn't the only problem; my graphics card is a GT 240 which is also below the minimum spec for this game. I don't have a hope of being able to play it. :(
Its always a good reason to upgrade when a new version of X comes out, I have built a new system every time, the worst one was X3 Reunion, that was a nightmare to exceed the minimum specs, Custom PC used it for quite a while to benchmark new machines and rebuilds on it was that system intensive. The only problem on the horizon for me is the fact the GTA V is coming out and I have promised myself a 360, the new xbox or possibly a PS4 so I will have to see if I can wangle extra hours or a PT job as well so I can get the cash together for both, one I can do but both is going to be fun, there is no way I am going to not get either, waited for both and watched them through development over the last few years, at least I will hopefully have a good christmas with trying to decide which one to play next :)
Darkspire
My XB360 is waiting for GTA V! :) It's probably going to be the very last game I will buy for the system.
As for the X games, indeed! I still remember getting X3: Reunion.... ran like crap. Went to the pc store that same afternoon to get a new videocard. :) It helped only a bit as the game was pretty CPU intensive too.
I was just lucky my birthday was shortly after release so I could do a proper upgrade of my PC.
It will be interesting to see how Egosoft will fare against the dev of Star Citizen and the new Elite.
The one thing X has going for it, is that its a proper singleplayer (read: offline) game, where Star Citizen is sort of an MMO, always online deal IIRC.
X also has its name and about a year or two lead on Star Citizen going for it!
I really am excited about X, and November isn't TOO far away!
True!
I am so looking forward to Rebirth! :) It's a great 2nd half of the year, with Dom 4, Rome 2, EU4, X:Rebirth, FF:ARR :D
The cockpits are back ;D
Darkspire
Good interview here:
http://www.games-arena.ro/2013/08/25/interview-x-rebirth-with-bernd-lehahn/
QuoteGA: For the first time since X2, we'll be able to go inside space stations, with the character. What can we do in these stations? Is this a more elegant alternative to just directly calling up an NPC, or are we going to have more activities? I think I saw being able to crawl through ducts, in one of the videos.
BL: You need to hire people for many jobs. NPC hiring is a big part of this game and you always want to know how good people are at their jobs. There are minigames through talking to people to find this out and there are also traders and items you can collect on platforms. So yes there is a lot you can do there.
8)
My internal hype level is rising!! :P
X Rebirth - Trading and Mining
This just seems to get better with every vid released :)
Darkspire
I'm so stoked I pre-ordered this and cannot wait.
X Rebirth - Fight Trailer
Nuff said :)
Darkspire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiYTmHDMjZg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiYTmHDMjZg)
Rather excited about this...very much looking forward to it.
Quote from: Darkspire on October 21, 2013, 09:18:32 AM
X Rebirth - Fight Trailer
Nuff said :)
Darkspire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiYTmHDMjZg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiYTmHDMjZg)
Was that a cinematic trailer or actual gameplay, or maybe a bit of both spliced together? Regardless, looks good. But not on my 5 year old rig.
Actual gameplay, Egosoft cinematics are very easy to spot as there not that good, X2's reminded me of Thunderbirds.
If you have not tried it already, you should give X3 Terran Conflict a go, once you get the hang of it then bolt the extended on that I put trailers for here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7054.msg171942#msg171942 (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7054.msg171942#msg171942)
I am the same, I have a fairly old machine and a much better one about 80% complete on the workbench, I really dislike leaving an OS I have had on for years and have to move on from, I was the same for win98 to XP and now I am the same for XP to win7, some folks have dual booting drives but the software is only half the story, it is the hardware as well, I have the old win98 machine with a good box of spares, drive with stuff on that wont work on XP, I will do the same for this one, fit it out as maxed out as I can for XP and keep a good box of spares and then move onto my next machine which will also be a 64bit as well as an upgrade in the OS, some folks are a little hesitant about being retro but the games for me in the last 10 years have been a real step up in GFX compared to DOS retro gaming, for them I use DOSbox on here. Moving to 64bit means a major step away from stable compatibility so I will cling on to XP till someone turns the lights out :)
Darkspire
Quote from: Darkspire on October 21, 2013, 02:59:32 PM
Actual gameplay, Egosoft cinematics are very easy to spot as there not that good, X2's reminded me of Thunderbirds.
Lol! Indeed! But those in 3 are no better.
I personally have very little knowledge of this game, back after looking at some trailers and reading information, looks like it could be a good one. Anyone find the best pre-order deal? I am only interested in the standard edition since doesn't appear the collector's edition has much to offer, besides soundtracks and art. I found it at gamefly for $39 (with discount code). Any better offers out there before I pull the trigger?
From all the videos I have seen, the flying seems a bit more "smooth" than in X3. I'm wondering if Rebirth is going to be more Gamepad/Controller friendly so that I won't have to fiddle with my aging joystick. I believe RPS or something stated that they played the preview on a gamepad and it was quite intuitive and useful.
Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 10, 2013, 12:01:12 PM
From all the videos I have seen, the flying seems a bit more "smooth" than in X3. I'm wondering if Rebirth is going to be more Gamepad/Controller friendly so that I won't have to fiddle with my aging joystick. I believe RPS or something stated that they played the preview on a gamepad and it was quite intuitive and useful.
A few posts up shows a video of someone using a gamepad.....seems pretty easy to use and would be an incentive for me too since I would prefer to use it over keyboard/mouse. Now I just need to convince myself if I should buy or not:)
You should. Nuff' said! 8)
I think that the Gamefly deal with the 20% off is the best bet. You could have gotten the same thing at Greenmangames.com, but their 20% coupon just expired. No matter what you choose, I believe you are actually buying a Steam code, so you will be playing on Steam at any rate.
I'm preordering tonight. Got bored with x3...just kept asking "what am I supposed to be doing". This just looks too good and I think the ability to move around the ship will add to immersion
I'm excited about this one. I've been missing space since pulling the plug on EVE. I need some wide open outer space to scout.
Quote from: mikeck on November 10, 2013, 04:53:18 PM
Got bored with x3...just kept asking "what am I supposed to be doing".
What makes you think Rebirth will be any different in this regard?
(Not trying to be snarky...my PC won't run Rebirth so I haven't been reading about it...genuine question)
Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 10, 2013, 06:36:33 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 10, 2013, 04:53:18 PM
Got bored with x3...just kept asking "what am I supposed to be doing".
What makes you think Rebirth will be any different in this regard?
(Not trying to be snarky...my PC won't run Rebirth so I haven't been reading about it...genuine question)
+1
I didn't realize this is releasing in 4 days. Man, this looks like a must-buy and I'm not even a huge fan of space games. But boy those trailers look amazing.
Geez, I need more free time. Just too many good games anymore... >:(
no money and definitely no time too many games.......
Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 10, 2013, 06:36:33 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 10, 2013, 04:53:18 PM
Got bored with x3...just kept asking "what am I supposed to be doing".
What makes you think Rebirth will be any different in this regard?
(Not trying to be snarky...my PC won't run Rebirth so I haven't been reading about it...genuine question)
The manner in which the X series models space, economy, trade, war, etc. in an open sandbox world is unparalleled. The player can chose to pilot a single craft, or develop a vast interstellar conglomerate with dozens of capital vessels and stations spanning multiple systems. The player is free to start charting his own destiny from the very beginning, or follow the story guided missions which slowly help build up starting assets. At anytime, the player can move away from the storyline, play freely, and return to it at his leisure, or never return to it at all. The biggest problem with all this vast openness was the steepness of the learning curve which was somewhat complicated due to a poor unwieldy UI.
By all indications, Rebirth has streamlined the UI and eased the learning curve associated with developing your own little empire. The game appears by all accounts to be bigger, more alive, and much more immersive. This is one I have eagerly been awaiting for a long time.
I always though what the X universe needed was something very similar to the Total War or Civ games - an encyclopedia to help you with certain things.
As an example, I remember with X3 Reunion, it took me an absolute age to discover the trading tools...things to help you so you didn't have to buy products and then go to a different sector and dock at ALL the stations to discover what prices they were buying for. Was that the trading Extension? Can't remember...but the problem was you just didn't know about it...and even if you did, you had to find where it was sold because there were only a select VERY few places to get it (wasn't it just one place?)
The other thing I think a member was trying to work out what to do to get trading with an automated trader.
I think the info was there, but it was very difficult to find and not totally forth coming.
I above found that there are several user made guides that provide that info. Would be nicer in-game but they are very thorough
Pre-Ordered and waiting for departure. One of the biggest selling points to the X series is not only the openness but the modding community. It is very deep and no doubt many things that may felt left out will be covered by the modding community. The X series has played to this strength and I believe X-Rebirth will be no different.
I have been very excited about this release and even though we still do not have a lot of information about the game out there, there is enough to get started and then go explore! I hope this series turns another conner and achieves the lofty goals it has set out to accomplish... they continue to push the envelop and I give them props for that.
Time to boldly go..... or die.
PE
its all entirely new to me but if its generating this much excitement i look forward to reading some reports from you guys
The X universe is probably the single most absorbing and yet obscure universes to ever grace my PC. I loved it and hated it - though not in equal measure (love getting the lions share).
It's not great at giving you information and that makes it kind of difficult to love - but when you find out what to do (and especially if you WORK out what you're supposed to do), you feel immense reward.
And it is (imo) one of the most stunning pieces of software set in space...and HUGE!
I'm very much looking forward to this - it should take my mind off World in Flames.
Well GMG now has for 25% off, making it roughly $37 for me.....what to do....never played these games before so not sure if I will like or not...does look pretty though!
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 11, 2013, 05:02:05 AM
By all indications, Rebirth has streamlined the UI and eased the learning curve associated with developing your own little empire. The game appears by all accounts to be bigger, more alive, and much more immersive. This is one I have eagerly been awaiting for a long time.
This is so well put, that I have little to add. But being a big talker, I'll try! ;)
Actually, this is exactly why I was so excited for X-Rebirth. I loved X3, but it took a lot of time and a lot of heartache to actually get anything done. The best route to success was (before Albion Prelude) to find a high-end expensive abandoned ship (they were in static locations) and sell it for feeder cash to set up bases or buy freighters. Barring that, you had to either slog through some introductory combat missions to get to a chance to board a nice ship or "luck out" and manage to capture a ship on your own with limited weaponry and a whole-load of bravado.
Now they have changed some of the management aspects. You stay in your one ship but you control a host of drone ships. This is actually nearly the same as X3, as you could only pilot one ship at a time and relied on drone AI to pilot your other ships. I won't miss jumping from ship to ship, as the Albion is supposed to be fairly customizable to suit a multitude of purposes. Everything look much more accessible now, at least in the trailers, and combat seems to be more manageable (I always found combat to be a weaker element in X3).
Pre-Loaded and ready, 3 days until launch....
PE
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 12, 2013, 10:11:16 AM
Pre-Loaded and ready, 3 days until launch....
PE
+1
I am loving the movie clips showing the player looking around his cockpit and seeing other NPC's in there as well...very immersive
I have almost pre-ordered this several times...but it scares me. I played the original X years ago, and then X2. X3/TC/etc began to lose me. I began to hate the tiny sectors of space, though this new one has fixed that.
I trust you guys so Friday I hope to hear the good and bad. :) I'm mainly interested to see if the universe is as full and interesting as the videos make it out to be.
Quote from: republic on November 13, 2013, 07:44:02 AM
I have almost pre-ordered this several times...but it scares me. I played the original X years ago, and then X2. X3/TC/etc began to lose me. I began to hate the tiny sectors of space, though this new one has fixed that.
I trust you guys so Friday I hope to hear the good and bad. :) I'm mainly interested to see if the universe is as full and interesting as the videos make it out to be.
One thing I am curious about is if the stations will be different.... in terms of being able to walk around layout. I hope they are not your basic rooms just placed differently, or I hope at least by alien race they are different.
I know with the Capital ships that are yours... you can dock at them walk around the ship, however I know it will be limited as to what rooms are modeled. I do like the fact you can give orders to the captain of the ship and then I believe remain on the ship as it moves.
Also, your ship is suppose to be modular.. so you can make it a larger cargo ship, or add more weapons etc.... Really cannot wait until release. I am trying to not get my expectations too high.....
PE
I hope the interiors are functional and not just eye candy like Eve's "Walking in stations". I want to be able to walk around, but I need to have a reason to. Random encounters, etc.
Honestly what I'm hoping for is to finally have a game as immersive as Independence War was.
I would've pre-orderd this one, but don't think my rig (Core2Quad 2.66GHz / nVidia GTS 450 w/1GB vRAM) is up to it :-\.
Quote from: republic on November 13, 2013, 09:27:33 AM
I hope the interiors are functional and not just eye candy like Eve's "Walking in stations". I want to be able to walk around, but I need to have a reason to. Random encounters, etc.
Honestly what I'm hoping for is to finally have a game as immersive as Independence War was.
I believe there will be personal interactions with people on stations... meaning you can trade with the station itself, or with individuals that are currently visiting the station (personal items and I believe market items).
I believe there will be random loot that is throughout space floating around.... not real sure if I like that, but will wait and see. I believe your drones can be customized as well, but not sure what all the options are.
PE
Quote from: republic on November 13, 2013, 09:27:33 AM
I hope the interiors are functional and not just eye candy like Eve's "Walking in stations". I want to be able to walk around, but I need to have a reason to. Random encounters, etc.
Honestly what I'm hoping for is to finally have a game as immersive as Independence War was.
Well supposedly you move around the ship to get things done instead of using the UI. There are different crewman with different jobs in your ships...think Silent Hunter
Quote from: mikeck on November 13, 2013, 10:24:10 AM
Quote from: republic on November 13, 2013, 09:27:33 AM
I hope the interiors are functional and not just eye candy like Eve's "Walking in stations". I want to be able to walk around, but I need to have a reason to. Random encounters, etc.
Honestly what I'm hoping for is to finally have a game as immersive as Independence War was.
Well supposedly you move around the ship to get things done instead of using the UI. There are different crewman with different jobs in your ships...think Silent Hunter
wha???
this is silent hunter in space - id sell gus's mother for that
This shows some of the walking around in your ship and walking off your ship and around the space station...
There are more out there, just a random one I pulled off
One other feature change is no more SETA drives...... finally the universe has evolved to have spacial highways..... enabling you to get around faster.
PE
God he's annoying!
Thanks for the link though...looking forward to tomorrow(?)
*edit* Damn - Friday!
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 13, 2013, 11:17:05 AM
God he's annoying!
Thanks for the link though...looking forward to tomorrow(?)
*edit* Damn - Friday!
ooooooooo nothing worse than a premature Friday feeling!!
ill wait for the reports - not because it doesnt look cool but because i havent spent months drooling over it and need to read up
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 13, 2013, 11:17:05 AM
God he's annoying!
Thanks for the link though...looking forward to tomorrow(?)
*edit* Damn - Friday!
lol... yea, probably not the best guy to sell the game video out there... :P
PE
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 13, 2013, 11:20:11 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 13, 2013, 11:17:05 AM
God he's annoying!
Thanks for the link though...looking forward to tomorrow(?)
*edit* Damn - Friday!
ooooooooo nothing worse than a premature Friday feeling!!
ill wait for the reports - not because it doesnt look cool but because i havent sent months drooling over it and need to read up
Don't worry... you will hear jumping for joy.... or moaning..... I'll post feedback on the game as I play.... I am trying to temper my expectations.
PE
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 13, 2013, 10:30:31 AM
Quote from: mikeck on November 13, 2013, 10:24:10 AM
Quote from: republic on November 13, 2013, 09:27:33 AM
I hope the interiors are functional and not just eye candy like Eve's "Walking in stations". I want to be able to walk around, but I need to have a reason to. Random encounters, etc.
Honestly what I'm hoping for is to finally have a game as immersive as Independence War was.
Well supposedly you move around the ship to get things done instead of using the UI. There are different crewman with different jobs in your ships...think Silent Hunter
wha???
this is silent hunter in space - id sell gus's mother for that
Yeah, that's my dream game...but what I meant was that you have different people at different stations in your ship like navigator, weapons, etc. Replacing a clumsy AI are these stations where the AI. Few member processes your orders. At least, that's my understanding
Get your ships prepped and ready.....
Now less than
24 hrs away and Launch Trailer released.....
PE
I was a bit worried looking at some of the quality of the graphics on previous videos....seems I have nothing to worry about with that latest vid.
Looking forward to it!
lol - just for once I'd love for Steam to surprise us by releasing a title early ;D
If this game is not every bit as epic as it looks, I may need to commit Japanese ritual suicide.
At the least I fully expect this game to bring my computer to its knees first, just like the previous games did to my pc at the time. :)
Actually, the specs don't look too bad.
Watching the release video made me think of the Daft Punk Tron album...... specifically End of Line.. some cool shat there......
PE
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 14, 2013, 03:17:07 PM
If this game is not every bit as epic as it looks, I may need to commit Japanese ritual suicide.
LOL! I'll hide the tanto, just in case.
I really wish they had decided to have a midnight release. I have to work all day tomorrow and we have a guest coming in for a visit - so no X time for me!
Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 14, 2013, 04:43:25 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 14, 2013, 03:17:07 PM
If this game is not every bit as epic as it looks, I may need to commit Japanese ritual suicide.
LOL! I'll hide the tanto, just in case.
I really wish they had decided to have a midnight release. I have to work all day tomorrow and we have a guest coming in for a visit - so no X time for me!
None for me neither; I will be abroad for two days... At least there will be a nice present when I get home. :)
Looking forward to reading the grogheads impressions!
Just bought new radeon 7850 2gb card (not the best I'm sure but I won't spend $400 on a frickin video card) to replace the 1gb radeon 6700 series I have now. I don't replace these things myself anymore ever since they became the size of notebooks and have attached fans and crap. Last time I did it I ripped some wire that seemed to not be too important but still....dropping the rig off at computer store tommorow and picking it up after work. Crossing my fingers that I won't have problems.
Normally I wouldn't risk it when there is a new game I want to play right away but this game is too pretty not to play with graphics turned up a
bit.
Watching those machine-gun type weapons firing while the ship flew between parts of a station out me over the edge. Card had been there uninstalled for a month
Will the release be for everyone tomorrow or just certain countries? Thought I read somewhere that only Europe was tomorrow but maybe I read it wrong.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 14, 2013, 07:01:40 PM
Will the release be for everyone tomorrow or just certain countries? Thought I read somewhere that only Europe was tomorrow but maybe I read it wrong.
All countries tomorrow.... Initially it was EU first.
PE
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 14, 2013, 07:05:39 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 14, 2013, 07:01:40 PM
Will the release be for everyone tomorrow or just certain countries? Thought I read somewhere that only Europe was tomorrow but maybe I read it wrong.
All countries tomorrow.... Initially it was EU first.
PE
Great..thank you.
I found the manual posted online: http://cdn4.steampowered.com/Manuals/2870/X_Rebirth_Manual_English.pdf?t=1384425963 (http://cdn4.steampowered.com/Manuals/2870/X_Rebirth_Manual_English.pdf?t=1384425963)
I really want the game to be good...but I have exceeded my maximum number of games bought but don't play. So I have to wait for you guys to fill me in. Hopefully someone is taking off from work (take one for the team!) and can give us the goods midday so I can have it downloaded and ready when I'm off work. :)
I look forward to flying around for an hour, having no idea what I am doing, looking at the sites. Followed by the months of thinking "today is the day I learn to play this game".
Typically what happens with me in the X-Series
Quote from: republic on November 14, 2013, 07:38:32 PM
I found the manual posted online: http://cdn4.steampowered.com/Manuals/2870/X_Rebirth_Manual_English.pdf?t=1384425963 (http://cdn4.steampowered.com/Manuals/2870/X_Rebirth_Manual_English.pdf?t=1384425963)
I really want the game to be good...but I have exceeded my maximum number of games bought but don't play. So I have to wait for you guys to fill me in. Hopefully someone is taking off from work (take one for the team!) and can give us the goods midday so I can have it downloaded and ready when I'm off work. :)
While I am not taking off work.... I will be leaving work early after I finish up doing a little programming on a project. I'll post some pics and feedback.
PE
Checked this morning and it said "Pre-Load"
I am at work now and won't get home until 7pm...but the football and rugby is on tonight, so I'll likely not even get to fire it up. I'm out for the rugby tomorrow and on Sunday I'm going to see Thor with my daughter Cathryn and then watching the rugby.
So - I have no idea when I'm going to get to play it :-(
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 15, 2013, 04:37:58 AM
Checked this morning and it said "Pre-Load"
I am at work now and won't get home until 7pm...but the football and rugby is on tonight, so I'll likely not even get to fire it up. I'm out for the rugby tomorrow and on Sunday I'm going to see Thor with my daughter Cathryn and then watching the rugby.
So - I have no idea when I'm going to get to play it :-(
Football, chores and family can all kiss my a$$ tonight. When I get home, I'm playing rebirth.
I spent last night playing Evochron to get back into the "space mood". I sure hope today reveals good things about Rebirth. :)
Got some time to mess around with it a little bit this morning...
First, let me address a couple of things I have seen going around about comments on the manual. If you have played X games then you know the manual if very sparse... this is intentional... comments about the limited number of wares, weapons, ships, sectors, species etc.... are unfounded. The manual states that these are a "FEW", the rest is up to you to explore..... also, there are sectors that have gone "remote" over a long period of time and need to be exploited. The game is not "dumbed down", on the contrary it is more complicated however easier to access..... the economy system alone blows anything previous out of the water.
Also, there was a statement that in the manual you have to build or buy a constructer ship..... you can still hire a heavy mover to start building a station.....
I flew around and was able to walk around the ship. There at present was three areas modeled. The bridge, an area that is the hanger/cargo area where the ramp is... and a mess/rec room. In the mess/rec room there are two doors.. one to a bathroom and the other I could not open. You cannot walk around the bridge.... you go from your set to the back of the ship or vise versa when accessing the crew option.... I am sure this will be moded if possible.
I flew around and accidentally fired on a station.... and promptly got the station manager who said basically "I am sure that was an accident"..... looks like reproductions if I did it again.
Flew around and have to say.... it is very fun just weaving in and out of traffic and around the stations. I did not dock at a station as of yet.
I ventured around the highway.... one feeling I got was.... it is a living, breathing space... feels populated, unlike previous X games.
My monitor runs at a high res, but I had to reduce the game down as it was a lot to handle.. I had everything turned up.
The controls are about the same as before and where easy to change... I am currently using the mouse and keyboard... have not switched to a stick combo yet.
Also, it is just you and your 1st officer..... you have to find other crew members to hire.
I couldn't resist and had to load up this morning, but I only had about 10 minutes with it before I had to put a suit on and go play lawyer.
Anyway, I loaded the campaign and just tried to see what space looked like. Its beautiful. I'm using an xbox controller presently, but I'm having trouble configuring the roll. The menu seems to only let me select one button for roll...there is no selection for right roll and left roll. I'm going to have to play around with this.
Otherwise, the controller feels really good with the game.
Other than the very brief campaign interaction with the girl who I presume is going to become my first officer, I have not had much of a chance to play. The dialogue and plot is still corny, but that is how the entire series has been.
Getting through the day is going to simply be torture. I need the weekend.
Lots of dismay and gnashing of teeth going on over on the Steam X-Rebirth forum. Sounds like Rebirth is having some birthing issues, which from what I remember is not unusual for an X title...
Quote from: steve58 on November 15, 2013, 10:58:52 AM
Lots of dismay and gnashing of teeth going on over on the Steam X-Rebirth forum. Sounds like Rebirth is having some birthing issues, which from what I remember is not unusual for an X title...
Take ANYTHING you read in the steam forums with a grain of salt. They are almost as bad as the old gamespot forums. Seems they let any 6 year old, or lobotomized idiot post. I don't think I've ever read anything in the steam forums where people weren't b*tching about one thing or another.
In fact, putting purely technical complaints aside, it has been my experience that the more people are complaining about a game in the steam forums, the better it actually is and the more I will like it. Anything with any complexity whatsoever, is going to attract idiots who think the game sucks because they just don't "get it."
Quote from: steve58 on November 15, 2013, 10:58:52 AM
Lots of dismay and gnashing of teeth going on over on the Steam X-Rebirth forum. Sounds like Rebirth is having some birthing issues, which from what I remember is not unusual for an X title...
Yea.. this is an entirely new engine so there will have to be patience. It appears the game is not optimized well at the moment... but no X series game has been on launch. This game is a entirely new experience from the previous X games so you have to look at it as an entirely new game and not a continuation of the previous engine.
Hard to evaluate a game based on less than an hour of play from users.... Never read the Steam forums, pretty much useless on constructive feedback or criticism.
PE
I'm redownloading Albion Prelude until the dust settles. Too many of the complaints across multiple sites are speaking to what most feared.
I'll wait until you guys can give it time and report back to us.
Alright - alright! I'll fire it up when I get home....JEEEZ!!! The pressure! ;D
Quote from: republic on November 15, 2013, 11:45:10 AM
I'm redownloading Albion Prelude until the dust settles. Too many of the complaints across multiple sites are speaking to what most feared.
I'll wait until you guys can give it time and report back to us.
Oh come on. Just play the damn thing! :P
Downloaded it and fired it up with my new graphics card didn't play much but the game just looks beautiful... can't wait to dig into it
This first impression is pretty well done...
PE
Sorry to take this down to the lowest common denominator of 'how nice is the eye candy?' -- but does the game actually look as good as the trailers, which are pretty spectacular and claim to be pure gameplay footage?
I'm reading a lot of conflicting reports on that front...
I'm very conflicted on this. I still can't get Rome II TW to work on my system (which is hardly an exotic set up and still qualifies as reasonably high end), and I found Company of Heroes II to be a huge let down, in addition to crashy and buggy. Obviously that has nothing to do with X Rebirth, but I've been feeling very burned on the early adoption of AAA titles of late --
Quote from: sandman2575 on November 15, 2013, 12:41:21 PM
Sorry to take this down to the lowest common denominator of 'how nice is the eye candy?' -- but does the game actually look as good as the trailers, which are pretty spectacular and claim to be pure gameplay footage?
I'm reading a lot of conflicting reports on that front...
I'm very conflicted on this. I still can't get Rome II TW to work on my system (which is hardly an exotic set up and still qualifies as reasonably high end), and I found Company of Heroes II to be a huge let down, in addition to crashy and buggy. Obviously that has nothing to do with X Rebirth, but I've been feeling very burned on the early adoption of AAA titles of late --
Just from my short time playing.... the character models are not done very well. However, the space, space ports etc are done very well and appear as they do on video. I have not optimized my settings, but it looked very good to me. However, I could not run it at my desktop res of 2560x1440, so I have some configuring to do. The mouth movement looks very odd when talking to the npc(s), but then again it does not bother me that much.
I'll report back here in a bit.....
PE
for the love of god! What the hell is this?
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1160.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq499%2Fwmar1967%2FMisc%2FSnap1_zpsa0f0e321.jpg&hash=8e38818cfe638872da1d03365c75cbdcc6bde7ed)
It was already pre-loaded!
Well my initial impression is - ffs!
Only because I'm struggling getting my X52 Pro configured. There's no mouse support seemingly in the menus. This looks like what other games look like that are configured for consoles from an interface perspective.
Anyway - back to trying to get this damn thing working with my controller!
Oh and one other thing...imo (and I might have to load up Albion Prelude to check) the graphics are a step down. I mean, there seems to be considerably more going on - much busier - but the graphics don't seem to be quite as sharp as their previous editions. I am just 20 minutes in and spending time trying to get my controller working though...but my "initial" impression re the graphics is - meh. (everything maxed and at 1920x1080
I'll be back once I've had more time to piss around with it.
Had to come out. I'm too annoyed trying to get the controller configured.
Maybe I've just been spoiled with configuring controllers for other games - but this stinks of having been made with a "console" controller. Configure Pitch and it comes up with "Left Stick (Vertical)"
I can't seem to configure my trigger to weapons and my second button to missiles either. It's just a real pita.
I need to have a look online to see if I can find out how to do this. >:(
Hmm, I don't agree. I think the lighting has a lot to do with it. Graphics look better in darker systems. In a system with a bright yellow planet for instance, the inside of the ship looks cartoony. I find the graphics in rebirth to be better. Especially weapon effects and the stations! Oh my, the stations are beautiful.
Some people will read the usual negative comments on various forums and use it to justify their decision not to buy it...fine. But like Jarhead, I find forum complainers come out in force for every AAA title. Check out reviews from people you know on this forum or others.
Hell, there are people over at steam screaming because of game play decisions like having only one ship. Basically, "it's not how they wanted it"
I had the same issue with Rome 2. Over at Steam and TW center, it was the worst game of all time. People still complain about how horrible the game is...yet they still play it????
Rebirth will have bugs, sure. But it is a HUGE game and very pretty. If you don't want it, don't buy it, but don't justify that decision based on a bunch of whiney 14 year old IT kids
erm.....I'm not. I bought the game! ::)
I'm genuinely having issues setting up my controller. I'm no regurgitating anything I've heard or read...in fact apart from this forum I haven't been around to read anything on this.
IMO - the graphics are not a "crisp" as AP or even TC...but it's just my opinion. I don't know what it is - it could be the lighting...I have no idea...but they seem to be to be more "blurred".
And I'm glad you have got your weapons to fire. I can't seem to configure my stick so the trigger fire the damn things.
First docking at station..... Cool thing is you walk straight off your ship after you dock.... meet a guard and then walked around the station.... a lounge below and a trading area.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2Frx1.jpg&hash=b5cc2d71c9dd41ecfbc057aa782ae4083fb1b342)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2Frx2.jpg&hash=666c7b2556732ada53a6780931d87447d7e1b795)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2Frx3.jpg&hash=5927a2a5a936ab6795ca398168f7a30c6b602b8c)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2Frx4.jpg&hash=bb090269876b5d64e55f248108bd72014a3aea7b)
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 15, 2013, 03:19:40 PM
erm.....I'm not. I bought the game! ::)
I'm genuinely having issues setting up my controller. I'm no regurgitating anything I've heard or read...in fact apart from this forum I haven't been around to read anything on this.
IMO - the graphics are not a "crisp" as AP or even TC...but it's just my opinion. I don't know what it is - it could be the lighting...I have no idea...but they seem to be to be more "blurred".
And I'm glad you have got your weapons to fire. I can't seem to configure my stick so the trigger fire the damn things.
Sounds like they went the direction of overzelous post-processing Blur effects, as does so many others. Sad to hear.
I believe one reason they do it is to smooth over the jagged edges since running proper anti-aliasing is doubly taxing on unoptimized games and would choke a console's performance so terribly as to be unplayable. So they blur up their shit instead, and often don't give the option to use only AA to it's full effect. >:(
Judge...I have mouse control in the menus. However, after trying to tweak my X52pro options I lost it. I had to exit the game and come back in and I might have even had to unplug the controller. I switched to the xbox gamepad and was having a much better time.
I agree though, I was still having trouble configuring the pad the way I would like it...particularly with respect to roll. I am confident that these types of issues will be corrected.
Are all the station interiors identical?
^ Absolutely. I don't recall an X release without some teething issues. (I've only been on board since Reunion)
I am a bit surprised that they managed to pork controls though. It's worked (my x52) in all other releases without configuration.
Graphics wise - mmm. I'm not sure. There's certainly much more going on and it's certainly pretty - but they aren't as crisp as AP. I know this as I've just downloaded and reinstalled AP. The system(s) in Rebirth are flowing with AI. It might be what Nefaro suggested...kind of a fuzzy look about things - at least at a distance. They did look much better close up.
Anyway...I'll try again with the controller. Otherwise I'm off to watch the footie ;D
*edit* the ^ was meant for JH's post :)
Quote from: republic on November 15, 2013, 04:10:58 PM
Are all the station interiors identical?
I haven't managed to dock yet so can't say
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 15, 2013, 03:19:40 PM
erm.....I'm not. I bought the game! ::)
I'm genuinely having issues setting up my controller. I'm no regurgitating anything I've heard or read...in fact apart from this forum I haven't been around to read anything on this.
IMO - the graphics are not a "crisp" as AP or even TC...but it's just my opinion. I don't know what it is - it could be the lighting...I have no idea...but they seem to be to be more "blurred".
And I'm glad you have got your weapons to fire. I can't seem to configure my stick so the trigger fire the damn things.
Lol...not talking about you or anyone in particular!...just asking people to not to make purchasing decisions based on whiners at the steam forms
JH
When I load the game, I can see the mouse if I move it - but it keeps disappearing. I unplugged my X52 and plugged it back in and lo and behold, the mouse is now available properly in menu.
I'll see if that's fixed my joystick config woes.
Thx
Quote from: mikeck on November 15, 2013, 04:20:04 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 15, 2013, 03:19:40 PM
erm.....I'm not. I bought the game! ::)
I'm genuinely having issues setting up my controller. I'm no regurgitating anything I've heard or read...in fact apart from this forum I haven't been around to read anything on this.
IMO - the graphics are not a "crisp" as AP or even TC...but it's just my opinion. I don't know what it is - it could be the lighting...I have no idea...but they seem to be to be more "blurred".
And I'm glad you have got your weapons to fire. I can't seem to configure my stick so the trigger fire the damn things.
Lol...not talking about you or anyone in particular!...just asking people to not to make purchasing decisions based on whiners at the steam forms
Oh. I apologise. Your post followed my wee whine and I mistook your post for a reply to mine.
Still trying to get the joystick to work :-)
Well...seems I have menu mouse now but NO joystick at all. Before, I had no mouse in menu and could configure some joystick!
Oh dear.
I'm done for the night (and likely the weekend) so any of you peeps want some feedback, you'll have to get it from others...I'm checking out for the weekend...too much sport going on
When I played I use the keyboard and mouse. I am afraid to even try to use my joystick. May just skip it all and go right for the Xbox controller since that seems to be with the game was designed for.
I think as a picture the graphics were crisper in previous versions. However in this version everything seems to just flow smoother the ships move smoother the lighting I think is better not too sure about the blower. All in all I do like the graphics better in this version
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 15, 2013, 04:21:17 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 15, 2013, 04:20:04 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 15, 2013, 03:19:40 PM
erm.....I'm not. I bought the game! ::)
I'm genuinely having issues setting up my controller. I'm no regurgitating anything I've heard or read...in fact apart from this forum I haven't been around to read anything on this.
IMO - the graphics are not a "crisp" as AP or even TC...but it's just my opinion. I don't know what it is - it could be the lighting...I have no idea...but they seem to be to be more "blurred".
And I'm glad you have got your weapons to fire. I can't seem to configure my stick so the trigger fire the damn things.
Lol...not talking about you or anyone in particular!...just asking people to not to make purchasing decisions based on whiners at the steam forms
Oh. I apologise. Your post followed my wee whine and I mistook your post for a reply to mine.
Still trying to get the joystick to work :-)
No apology necessary. At this rate if I can't get my joystick working on level of through the whole damn thing to the wall anyway. I refuse to use the mouse to control spaceship and I'm not quite sure about an Xbox controller frankly I never tried it before either way it really shouldn't be this difficult to fly a spaceship out of the Gate with a joystick. I mean come on seriously?
Quote from: republic on November 15, 2013, 04:10:58 PM
Are all the station interiors identical?
So far yes, but with different characters.
PE
Nothing positive to report re the joystick. Whilst I can get the axis to work, the buttons are another matter. I simply cannot configure the fire weapon or fire missile buttons (amongst others).
So I'm going to leave it just now and see what the internet says in a day or two.
I don't really want to buy a controller (I only ever had one to play Madden games back in the day) and haven't owned one for a few years. I didn't pay £100 for an X52 Pro so I would need a £20 gamepad! lol
Enjoy all ye that can run it - I need my joystick and no - that's not a euphemism! :D
- Landed on my cargo ship, could not walk around, only access to the docking bay (maybe capital ships you can)
- Most stations have similar layouts with different personnel at each place
- Highway game is pretty cool
- Playing the campaign helps understanding the game
- Character models need work
- Most docks are setup the same, even the loot boxes
- game runs pretty well on my system, no crashes and one or two slow downs
- still too early to tell, but you can see that Egosoft will continue to expand this game into an epic experience
PE
What do I need to use an xbox controller? I have te controller but it works by remote with the console..is there a plug I an buy to plug it into the computer? Will it automatically recognize it or do I need to get some software somewhere?
Dang. I was hoping they'd generate different interiors. So that way exploration of stations would be fun. I hate to hear that loot and characters are in the same places...that's almost a deal breaker for me. It was ok in the 90s to have 1 interior, but with the procedural algorithms of today they could have at least made them in house with an algorithm and fixed the abnormalities.
^ I can kind of understand that.
But for me X is about space exploration. Being able to land on stations and walk around and interact with people I always thought would be cool...and now it's here, it is...but I understand that as they are the same, with the characters in the same place and with the same resources at the same locations (if that is the case)...that kind of makes the exploration of stations section a wee bit pointless.
But - it always was an "addon" for me in the X universe. It would still be nice for them to randomise it...I can see that it could become tiring after a while.
Right now I just want to get my damned joystick to bloody work! :)
The more I look at it the more I agree with Judge that the graphics are a step back. That said, the universe does feel more "alive" and the ability to target weapons systems and engines (plus weapon effects) makes up for it. Finally for the joystick partially working but can't fire weapons with it.
I like the graphics, but it is a matter of taste I think.
- One negative for me is the Maps.... Sector etc.... they have taken a step back imo.
+ The stations being close to the same actually has not bothered me
PE
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 15, 2013, 06:21:36 PM
- One negative for me is the Maps.... Sector etc.... they have taken a step back imo.
How so? I was hoping they would finally open space up like Eve instead of the old sector style. Is there anything out there between the sectors along the highways?
Quote from: republic on November 15, 2013, 06:29:33 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 15, 2013, 06:21:36 PM
- One negative for me is the Maps.... Sector etc.... they have taken a step back imo.
How so? I was hoping they would finally open space up like Eve instead of the old sector style. Is there anything out there between the sectors along the highways?
I guess I should clarify... I mean the on-board ship maps. They were better done I feel in X3. It is cumbersome to navigate, but maybe it is just me. As you explore more areas, the ships map are populated. Sorry for the confusion, I did not specify.
One cool feature is that there are inactive old jump gates setting around..... very cool to look at. Also, the areas of space do flow better than using the jump gates like before..... as highways you can jump on and off. It is more seamless.
PE
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 15, 2013, 06:21:36 PM
I like the graphics, but it is a matter of taste I think.
- One negative for me is the Maps.... Sector etc.... they have taken a step back imo.
+ The stations being close to the same actually has not bothered me
PE
Don't get me wrong...I don't dislike them. I am just finding them a bit more "cartoony" then x3. I have to figure out how to dock with stations. In x3 you would click a button and te station you highlighted would give a crap load of options. I need to read the manual
The game is admittedly flawed right now. There are many noticeable bugs. That being said, I'm still having fun flying through space and looking around. I have no doubt that this game will eventually be molded into a classic title.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 15, 2013, 07:40:48 PM
...I'm still having fun flying through space and looking around...
Jealous much :D
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 15, 2013, 07:40:48 PM
The game is admittedly flawed right now. There are many noticeable bugs. That being said, I'm still having fun flying through space and looking around. I have no doubt that this game will eventually be molded into a classic title.
+1. Have not regretted my purchase.
PE
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 15, 2013, 07:40:48 PM
The game is admittedly flawed right now. There are many noticeable bugs. That being said, I'm still having fun flying through space and looking around. I have no doubt that this game will eventually be molded into a classic title.
JH, I haven't even figured out how to dock yet. What have you noticed that are bugs and flaws? At least the big ones. At this point, I don't know what is a bug and what is operator error.
Outside of setting up the joystick which is clearly messed up
Quote from: mikeck on November 15, 2013, 08:28:52 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 15, 2013, 07:40:48 PM
The game is admittedly flawed right now. There are many noticeable bugs. That being said, I'm still having fun flying through space and looking around. I have no doubt that this game will eventually be molded into a classic title.
JH, I haven't even figured out how to dock yet. What have you noticed that are bugs and flaws? At least the big ones. At this point, I don't know what is a bug and what is operator error.
Outside of setting up the joystick which is clearly messed up
Lots of stupid little things...nothing game breaking yet. Yes, the control menu options seem to be a little nerfed. There are some graphics issues with models in stations and every time I speak with an NPC, they have a very odd habit of kneeling down after every interaction. The FPS movement in stations just doesn't feel right at all. I really think that adding this feature to the game was a pretty big misstep. It is totally unnecessary, doesn't really add anything to the game and it just doesn't feel right. I think they wasted valuable resources in making it that would have been better spent on polishing the space aspect of the game.
@ mikeck
To dock, enable the mouse cursor mode and put the cursor over the icon of station etc... and double click on it. A box should pop up and select Dock
@ JH
I think some of the polish comes later.... at least that is the way it feels. They have the core out and then start to refine it. One of the best things about this series is the modding community and the modding tools Egosoft supplies.....
PE
I am pretty disappointed to learn that you ship is only really the cockpit 1 room and the hanger area. I was hoping something more like a home in space. Like the Normandy from Mass Effect but much smaller.
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 15, 2013, 08:56:28 PM
@ mikeck
To dock, enable the mouse cursor mode and put the cursor over the icon of station etc... and double click on it. A box should pop up and select Dock
@ JH
I think some of the polish comes later.... at least that is the way it feels. They have the core out and then start to refine it. One of the best things about this series is the modding community and the modding tools Egosoft supplies.....
PE
Ok, so I have to click on the icon and not the station itself. Thanks
I saw that Egosoft has responded to the unwashed Steam masses
QuoteFirst of all let me start by saying that I am vey sorry if you personally experience problems with our new game. We are doing what we can to fix these issues as fast as possible. Below I will try to summarise some tips and inform you about our plans for updates and patches based on the feedback from threads in this forum and the egosoft community (which is unfortunately currently broken under the heavy load).
###### Bugs we are investigating ######
- Broken or missing voice recordings in language other than english
There is an update for german voices today (nov 15th) and another update end of next week. We apologize for these problems. French voices are expected to be added in mid december, russian voices should also follow in december.
- Performance problems on very high end PCs
It seems that some of you experience an unsatisfying framerate even though you have really high end machines. We want to know which systems are affected by this and need to reproduce these problems here. To do this it would help us immensely if you could send your DXDIAG reports and describe the framerates you measure (e.g with the FRAPS tool) in certain situations. Please describe the situation and give different examples (e.g landed on a station, in an empty zone, close to a station, in a highway etc.). Please send your information to info@egosoft.com with subject #PERFORMANCE INFO#
- Stuck object on platform: We are sorry that this still happens sometimes and will fix it ASAP, but you should however always be able to simply use ENTER - 5 to get back.
- We read reports of people who can not save: Please check if the harddrive that you are saving to has space left and the right are set correctly for the savegame folder. If you think this is all correct, please send us a DXDiag file to info@egosoft.com with subject #SAVING BUG#
- Crash right at gamestart (but not in or before start menu):
This is very likely memory related. Do not try running the game in 32 bit Windows (this is not officially supported). If you still want to experiment with 32 bit Windows, be aware that it may crash. More importantly it will definitely crash if you do not set your machine to allow more than 2GB of physical memory. There are tricks to achieve this but in general the rule is: Use a 64bit Windows! UPDATE: Patch 1.12 will give you a message at the start if the game has zero chance of running because of "out of memory" and not even start!
- Exiting the super highway (blue) millions of km away from anything
This seems to be a bug several people report. We are trying to reproduce this but it is not easy. If you have information on how to reproduce, please email info@egosoft.com
Please let us know if you had this problem with 1.12 or above, as we hope it was already fixed.
- After loading cursor vanishes
While running around on platforms the mouse cursor is supposed to disappear. If it happens in normal flight, please check if you have more than one physical monitor and the cursor may just moved off the screen?
- Ship flying through station:
We apologize for this happening. We hoped to have reduced the chance of this happening significantly, but are investigating this.
###### Tricks & Tips ######
- Dont run game in 32bit Windows and make sure you have enough memory free
- Make sure you have latest drivers installed.
- If you have problems with the game, reset all settings in the driver to default
- If you suffer performance problems set the LOD and view distance to low values. The game should still look good but this helps a LOT. Consider turning off shadows, consider medium or low shaders if your GPU is the bottleneck.
- Trading: Some people report problems that trade ships do not work as expected. In most cases this is not a bug with the trade ship AI but the ship did not get the right order through the trade menu. As mentioned above, we definitely want to improve this menu further, but most importantly you have to make sure that when you add a trade order to a ship, you click on NEXT after selecting the order and assigning it to the ship selected at the top of the menu. Then you select the amount and confirm the order. After this you should see that an order was added to the ships order queue. One thing we want to improve is management of this queue and show it more clearly in trade ship info menus.
- There seems to be a bug with menus remaining open sometimes. If you end up with a non working menu, please see if changing the screen resolution or AA settings (ESC - settings - graphic settings) helps to make the menus work again. You can undo those changes after it works again. If this happens repeatedly please email information on how you reproduce this to info@egosoft.com
###### Feedback about feature requests: ######
- Map and other menu improvement: We have a number of menu and map improvements planned. This includes more control over the map like the zoom that was suggested here and changing the layout of some of the text menus. We are also considering showing the "minimap" on the eventmonitor whenever there is "no signal" at the moment. These are a lot of individual improvements some of which will happen soon.
- Autopilot / SETA: We will add some autopilot support. However it is our goal with X Rebirth that you do not need to run the game semi-automatically for extended periods of time. This is also he reason why we will not support SETA / SINZA time acceleration. There should never be a need to wait 20 minutes for your trade ships once you have multiple ships. You can queue orders and do many things in parallel. Time acceleration as a trick to accelerate trading will not be in X Rebirth.
- Facial animations: We will look into improving facial animations.
- External view / Ability to turn around in cockpit: This was asked for a few times. Yes we will look into this but it will be part of a larger update and take more time than just a few weeks. It will also be combined with support for looking around in the cockpit (e.g with a joystick POV hat) and maybe also support for Oculus Rift style VR. So please be aware that this feature will take some time to add.
- Targeting hotkeys: Another feature that was requested a couple of times. Yes we will do this. Based on your feedback that is for one of the earlier updates even though such "explicit" targets only work in the mouse / keyboard mode. Not with controllers!
- Talking to people on stations: We have a plan for an early patch (early december) which will make the conversations and finding NPCs for jobs a lot easier and more accessible. This has a high priority.
- Skipping conversations: We will look into this, but I can not promise that this is always possible.
- Joystick support: We are aware that joystick support (as opposed to gamepad) at this time is not perfect. We definitely will make this a priority for one of the next updates, but please allow a little time for this.
I was a bit worried about not seeing the joystick mentioned - until I got to the bottom.
But I wouldn't categorise it as "feature request"...bug would be more like it!
I just hit what I believe is my first game stopping bug. Most of what you need to do in terms of navigation, trading, ship management, etc. is handled through a screen that pops up to your right on the bridge of the Albion Skunk...well, the screen is refusing to pop up for me now. I can't access galaxy, sector or system maps, can't check on mission status and can't accept trade deals. I exited and reloaded, but that did not seem to solve the problem. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but who knows. I'm playing the campaign and I'm at the point where I just delivered a defense officer to my freighter.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 16, 2013, 08:48:14 AM
I just hit what I believe is my first game stopping bug. Most of what you need to do in terms of navigation, trading, ship management, etc. is handled through a screen that pops up to your right on the bridge of the Albion Skunk...well, the screen is refusing to pop up for me now. I can't access galaxy, sector or system maps, can't check on mission status and can't accept trade deals. I exited and reloaded, but that did not seem to solve the problem. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but who knows. I'm playing the campaign and I'm at the point where I just delivered a defense officer to my freighter.
I'm past that point and had and issues where the screen popped up, but could get anything to work by clucking it... I reloaded a previous save and it worked the next time. I'm past trading E cells and taxi mission in the game.
I also ran into the highway bug mentioned above in the notes.... Reloaded and was ok.
PE
From a visual perspective, whilst I think the stations look good on the outside, the whole game, interface, in game graphics and distance viewing look cartoony, too brash and if I may say, very console-ish.
The map that comes up in the ship...what the hell is that? The res on it looks diabolical for a start, and I'm not entirely sure I know what it's showing me.
I think I'll down tools with this for the moment. Wait at least for them to sort out the joystick problem. I tried mouse and it's ok...but I'd rather use my X52.
It's kind of unforgivable for a company to drop a space simulation game, including flight and combat, and not support one of the most common joysticks out there!
I'm not pissed. I bought it knowing there would likely be issues. But I am not overly impressed with the graphics (which I still say are a step back from AP), and the interface and res of the interface. I have all graphics whacked up to max and at 1920x1080 and it's running fine but looks pretty poor tbh...and I think the reason it seems to be running so smooth is - well - because it kind of looks...a bit rubbish.
I like the tunnels(?) and how busy space looks. I think the stations looks nice up close - but I still think they're using low textures or something. As JH says, it does look alive. Also as JH says...the walking around bollox is, well, kinda just that. Not really a lot to do or see so a very, very empty gesture. I was one of those who always wished you could get out of your ship and walk around the station...but I wasn't really expecting such a bland implementation. Also the ship...what? Two rooms...and one of them you can't seem to do anything and the other one you are auto guided to your seat as soon as you open the door.
I loaded AP last night and the graphics to me did seem much crisper and the stations looked like they were made of some nice, shiny metal composite or something. The textures on the stations and the ships in this just seem pants tbh.
That's my mini impression. I haven't played much on it because I can't get my joystick to work. I'll leave it just now.
Maybe, just maybe, it's a "get used to" thing with the graphics...when I get the joystick working I'll see
I've been watching some "Lets Play" videos. I kept wondering where all that traffic that is always seen coming into stations was coming from, but in one of the videos I saw a steady stream coming out of a highway and forming a line to go to the station. When I saw that I thought "ahh...I think they will fix this."
Hopefully I'm right. :)
I'm going to buy it. :)
If the interior models can be changed up with modders or future patches, it would go a long way with me. They at least need to be different with different types of stations.
Quote from: republic on November 16, 2013, 10:16:34 AM
I've been watching some "Lets Play" videos. I kept wondering where all that traffic that is always seen coming into stations was coming from, but in one of the videos I saw a steady stream coming out of a highway and forming a line to go to the station. When I saw that I thought "ahh...I think they will fix this."
Hopefully I'm right. :)
I'm going to buy it. :)
If the interior models can be changed up with modders or future patches, it would go a long way with me. They at least need to be different with different types of stations.
Ran into a station that had a jail.... never seen that in the other stations I ran into. 8)
PE
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 16, 2013, 09:33:43 AM
From a visual perspective, whilst I think the stations look good on the outside, the whole game, interface, in game graphics and distance viewing look cartoony, too brash and if I may say, very console-ish.
The map that comes up in the ship...what the hell is that? The res on it looks diabolical for a start, and I'm not entirely sure I know what it's showing me.
I think I'll down tools with this for the moment. Wait at least for them to sort out the joystick problem. I tried mouse and it's ok...but I'd rather use my X52.
I'm using the LT Extreme 3D pro with no issues... weird that the X52 is not fully functional at the moment.
PE
^yeah - weird indeed.
For example - double click the Fire Weapon assignment (which currently says N\A) and the curser flashes - waiting for your input. The main trigger does nothing...and in fact I cannot assign ANY button to Fire Weapon or Fire Missile which makes using the joystick a bit useless.
Axis are ok though.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 16, 2013, 10:25:51 AM
^yeah - weird indeed.
For example - double click the Fire Weapon assignment (which currently says N\A) and the curser flashes - waiting for your input. The main trigger does nothing...and in fact I cannot assign ANY button to Fire Weapon or Fire Missile which makes using the joystick a bit useless.
Axis are ok though.
I had to use the Weapons II category to make it work.... once I used it and left Weapons category N/A it worked fine for me. I assigned Fire Weapons to Trigger (button 1) and Missiles to Thumb button (button 2) on Weapons II and is working. Never could get Weapons category to work correctly.
PE
Thx - I'll give that a go
lol. So now I was able to set the weapons...but I can dock. Before I got the joystick "working", I was using the mouse and double clicking the target icon to select Dock...but now I can't double click...and when I do, the menu briefly comes up and then disappears!
For the LOVE of small furry animals!
Just out it aside for a few days until it gets patched I know a lot of people are saying that menus are disappearing I haven't experienced it but I've seen plenty of post about it so I'm sure it will happen eventually. I'm having fun with it and I certainly - as with Rome 2- don't think it's as horrible as many of the people posting. I do however, think it does have its issues and it does seem like they didn't do enough beta testing on it
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 16, 2013, 08:48:14 AM
I just hit what I believe is my first game stopping bug. Most of what you need to do in terms of navigation, trading, ship management, etc. is handled through a screen that pops up to your right on the bridge of the Albion Skunk...well, the screen is refusing to pop up for me now. I can't access galaxy, sector or system maps, can't check on mission status and can't accept trade deals. I exited and reloaded, but that did not seem to solve the problem. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but who knows. I'm playing the campaign and I'm at the point where I just delivered a defense officer to my freighter.
RPS reported something like this. I don't know if it is exactly this bug, but something similar.
I'm a bit let down by what I'm hearing. I was very excited for this release.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 16, 2013, 08:48:14 AM
I just hit what I believe is my first game stopping bug. Most of what you need to do in terms of navigation, trading, ship management, etc. is handled through a screen that pops up to your right on the bridge of the Albion Skunk...well, the screen is refusing to pop up for me now. I can't access galaxy, sector or system maps, can't check on mission status and can't accept trade deals. I exited and reloaded, but that did not seem to solve the problem. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but who knows. I'm playing the campaign and I'm at the point where I just delivered a defense officer to my freighter.
From egosoft post above:
"- There seems to be a bug with menus remaining open sometimes. If you end up with a non working menu, please see if changing the screen resolution or AA settings (ESC - settings - graphic settings) helps to make the menus work again. You can undo those changes after it works again. If this happens repeatedly please email information on how you reproduce this to info@egosoft.com"
I suspect I'm one of the more forgiving players when it comes to UI, graphics, and even gameplay issues with a new game. I also really, really adore space games and have been really looking forward to Rebirth. I was aware of the "one ship" design decision and even ok with it.
I'm not really impressed with what we've ended up with.
Graphically, it almost looks cel-shaded. I think it's also way, way too busy. Getting on to stations is tedious, the environments are unattractive, and the character models are just plain scary. I keep thinking I'm in a zombie killing sim. I can't believe part of a space sim is walking around generic stations and looking for boxes to loot. Really? And you want me to crawl through vents, too?
I'm also really put off by the maps and a UI clearly designed for a gamepad. I don't have a gamepad, I play PC games because I don't want a gamepad, and if the game requires a gamepad that screams "console port" to me, which always, always suck.
Props to them for trying to simplify the game for a broader audience. It needed to be done; even as a X-series fan I admit I bounced off of AP. I'm sure Egosoft will fix a lot of the technical bugs. I'm not sure they can fix some of the design decisions that are kind of killing this for me. I want to captain a starship and explore space. I don't want a racing game and I don't want to loot chests. If I'm going to loot chests, I'll load up Skyrim.
Their treatment of drones seems like it might be really great, though. It could be their the first sim I've ever played to get that "right." I've never understood how a space sim wouldn't use ROVs at least as well as current technology; ES seems to have figured that out.
I prefer the graphics in x3 a bit more in regards to how things looked. That said, I really like rebirth. I can fly around the stations and I actually feel like I am flying a space ship as opposed to just moving from one point to the next. It is crowded but I like that, it feels "alive" to me. I also like getting out and walking around space ports. I imagine it will get tedious but for now, it is immersive. I like being able to get out of my ship and walk around. In x3, the act that I was stuck in my seat kind of killed immersion.
The game has bugs for sure, but I definitely like the design of rebirth better. As for maps, they are not anywhere near as intuitive and functional as before. But I do like how they pop up on your side screen..again, immersion..and I'm sure the functionality wil be fixed by modders.
They are going to have to polish this up with joystick control, menus disappearing and stuff like that; all in all though, I find this game very immersive and I kind of dig the "Blade runner" look to stuff
I was going to pre-order this the day before release, but the discount I was going to use expired so ended up being really no reason to purchase ahead of time. As I was looking around at the game, really seemed there wasn't a ton of information available, besides some limited trailers that didn't really show much besides the graphics. Typically you would be seeing some official previews and after release you would see reviews, but haven't seen those either. The lack of information concerned me so that was another reason I held off.
It's a shame that it seems it might not have lived up to full expectations but hopefully over time it can improve. Might be a good pickup for me during the holiday sale if things get better:)
The game has grown on me.... I am enjoying it. Sure, there is room for improvement... but given Egosoft's and the mod community's reputation, I have no doubt there will be no limit. The foundation is there to build upon and I am enjoying the game as is, some very good innovation with some steps backward... but overall I am enjoying it and look forward to the future.
@ mikeck
Thought the same thing, immersive with the Bladerunner edge to it.
PE
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 16, 2013, 03:24:59 PM
I was going to pre-order this the day before release, but the discount I was going to use expired so ended up being really no reason to purchase ahead of time. As I was looking around at the game, really seemed there wasn't a ton of information available, besides some limited trailers that didn't really show much besides the graphics. Typically you would be seeing some official previews and after release you would see reviews, but haven't seen those either. The lack of information concerned me so that was another reason I held off.
It's a shame that it seems it might not have lived up to full expectations but hopefully over time it can improve. Might be a good pickup for me during the holiday sale if things get better:)
I've come to the realization that almost every AAA title released will have multiple bugs and issues with it and will be relatively unfinished. I don't like it but that's just the way it seems to be.so when I purchased the game I purchase it knowing what I'm probably getting and if it turns out like CK2 for you for then I get a pleasant surprise
Quote from: mikeck on November 16, 2013, 04:06:55 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 16, 2013, 03:24:59 PM
I was going to pre-order this the day before release, but the discount I was going to use expired so ended up being really no reason to purchase ahead of time. As I was looking around at the game, really seemed there wasn't a ton of information available, besides some limited trailers that didn't really show much besides the graphics. Typically you would be seeing some official previews and after release you would see reviews, but haven't seen those either. The lack of information concerned me so that was another reason I held off.
It's a shame that it seems it might not have lived up to full expectations but hopefully over time it can improve. Might be a good pickup for me during the holiday sale if things get better:)
I've come to the realization that almost every AAA title released will have multiple bugs and issues with it and will be relatively unfinished. I don't like it but that's just the way it seems to be.so when I purchased the game I purchase it knowing what I'm probably getting and if it turns out like CK2 for you for then I get a pleasant surprise
To be honest, I am not as concerned with the issues unless showstopping, for me I still don't have a real grasp as to what this game is all about and whether it really is FUN to play. Typically in previews/reviews/videos I would get a better handle on things. I'll be keeping my eye on it for sure...
Quote from: mikeck on November 16, 2013, 03:13:38 PM
I prefer the graphics in x3 a bit more in regards to how things looked. That said, I really like rebirth. I can fly around the stations and I actually feel like I am flying a space ship as opposed to just moving from one point to the next. It is crowded but I like that, it feels "alive" to me. I also like getting out and walking around space ports. I imagine it will get tedious but for now, it is immersive. I like being able to get out of my ship and walk around. In x3, the act that I was stuck in my seat kind of killed immersion.
The game has bugs for sure, but I definitely like the design of rebirth better. As for maps, they are not anywhere near as intuitive and functional as before. But I do like how they pop up on your side screen..again, immersion..and I'm sure the functionality wil be fixed by modders.
They are going to have to polish this up with joystick control, menus disappearing and stuff like that; all in all though, I find this game very immersive and I kind of dig the "Blade runner" look to stuff
I agree with pretty much all of this. There's stuff to like and stuff to dislike. Unfortunately the problems with my controller/keyboard issues have prevented me from perhaps enjoying it as much as I should.
The graphics, for me, are defo a step down and mainly for two reasons, they look blurry (with the exception of being up close
I think and the textures look low res. (on my system at least)
Now you mention it, I do see the "Bladerunner" thing there. I like it, but it needs some attention. I also like the maps popping up at the side - I just wish they had better res or use the sector maps from X3 - which were bland but functional, non confusing and crisp (again with the crisp)...and I like the cockpit...feels like your flying a spaceship and not floating around in space.
If I can work out the damned controls perhaps I'll get some play time and be able to "feel" the game more...but when you start off frustrated it tarnishes your initial thoughts.
@JudgeDredd
What are you having uses with your controls?
PE
I think I'm just confused.
I had issues with the joystick so used the mouse...not ideal but worked. Now, using the joystick, the mouse cursor disappears and I can't use it in game or in menus. Then there's docking now. I get to a place to dock and I double click it with the mouse and it temporarily shows me the DOCK menu option - but then disappears before I can click on it with the mouse....I've tried buttons on my joystick to activate the docking icon so it brings the menu to DOCK up - but I can't. Nothing on my joystick brings up the DOCK menu option.
Despite everything I've read negative...I still find myself wanting to buy it. I only have about $100 set aside for gaming until the end of the year. I'm hoping ARMA 3 will go on sale during the black friday sales, and I plan to get the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass...
I'm having a blast just flying around. I am playing sandbox and you start with 100,000 credits. I want to start trading but I'm still figuring out how to do that. The UI is not bad...but it ain't know improvement. For example: how do I get info about my own ship? How much stuff I have, weapons, etc
Anyway, got in a fight with a pirate...head to head I fired a missle which was apparently guided as it shot up and then dive down on him. The explosion was cool enough, but what was bad-ass was the smoke and debrief cloud I flew threw after.
I haven't had the disappearing menus yet but I suspect I will eventually.
I love the highway system. Jump in and haul ass. Little details are cool. When you approach a sector there are highway signs showing what types of things are at that exit.Lol...like out highways with the signs showing gas stations and mcdonalds and such.
I'm glad I bought it..warts and all. I can't say that it is more or less complex than x3 cause I don't know what I'm doing. For me at least, rebirth is far more immersive
Edit: JARHEAD, I had the disappearing glass menu happen. I changed the AA from 2 to 4, restarted, and it was back...them just changed AA again.
Edit: if I hear "Show me your wares please" one more time, I'm gonna pass out
Edit: it appears like you only have to enter the stations to trade small items. Trading in the traditional wares like energy cells, ore, silicon, etc are done outside the station by clicking on one of the "offers" icons on the outside of the station. If you have a big trade ship, smaller ships will fly around loading your ship with the wares you purchased...pretty kewl
First impressions
Its butt ugly. Actually went through the graphics settings thinking I was missing something. Is Anisotropic filtering greyed out for everyone else? Booted up X-3 Terran Conflict and yes it looks 100 times better than X Rebirth.
Think I am getting good FPS, but I should considering how ugly it looks.
Quote from: bboyer66 on November 16, 2013, 09:41:26 PM
First impressions
Its butt ugly. Actually went through the graphics settings thinking I was missing something. Is Anisotropic filtering greyed out for everyone else? Booted up X-3 Terran Conflict and yes it looks 100 times better than X Rebirth.
Think I am getting good FPS, but I should considering how ugly it looks.
Sounds like your computer sucks. :P AA isn't greyed out on my end.
AA (Anti Aliasaing) I am running max at 8x
Anisotropic filtering is greyed out and wont let me select anything which is weird.
antiscopic is greyed out for me. "butt ugly"??? C'mon ...may not be as sharp as x3 but I wouldn't call them butt ugly. In many ways the graphics in rebirth are better...ship movement animations (NPC) are more fluid, particle effects are better, weapon effects are better, etc. I liked x3 graphics better but then again, you couldn't fly between parts of stations and target individual subsystems on those ships either.
AF greyed out here too.
In case it's relevant, I have an AMD HD7960
Well in a 4am coffee induced moment of weakness...I went ahead and bought it and am downloading now. :)
It isn't all bad. The X Series always has teething issues.
I was a little worried after reading the reports on this, but I had time to install and play for about an hour and a half today.
I must say I am pretty positive about the game in general.
The thing that immediately struck me was the immersion. The sectors are busy with all kinds of ships doing their business.
Police vessels scanning ships, taking down criminals, cargo vessels loading and unloading, etc.
The big structures with the Neon signs indeed have something Bladerunner-esque, which I like very much.
I find the graphics pretty good. I prefer them over those of the previous game because those had little colour. It was all huge metal industrial complexes and the ships only had some subdued coloring.
In Rebirth everything is much more colourful.
I do agree that the graphics are more blurry, but this might have to do with the unavailability of AF and I suspect the AA is not very optimized.
Perhaps forcing a setting on your graphics card driver suite will make things better.
Character models are indeed awful. Hopefully modders will be able to update those.
I disagree with the claim that walking in stations should have been left out. I find it does add to the immersion and feeling you are actually a captain of a ship.
The locations are repetative, but I am glad they are in.
Sound is pretty good. Effects are crisp and there are lots of ambient sounds. The music is great too I find.
Its too early to comment on the inner workings of the game yet , but performance is acceptable and the game is much less a dissapointment so far than I had expected from reading the various forums.
Looking forward to spending more time!
I've now started a free play after going through most of the campaign..... so far I've been smuggling and saving up some cash. I am working on purchasing my first cargo vessel and then I hope a station. I've had a lot of fun just exploring and picking up odd jobs here and there while trying to increase my reputation where I can. One thing I am going to mod myself is "Show me your wares please" ..... I don't talk like that and if I did they would mug me on the way back to my ship..... Have a couple of drones to protect and scan..... still enjoying at this point, a lot to discover and have found one stations changed enough that it has not bothered me or killed the immersion.
PE
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 17, 2013, 11:05:43 AM
I've now started a free play after going through most of the campaign..... so far I've been smuggling and saving up some cash. I am working on purchasing my first cargo vessel and then I hope a station. I've had a lot of fun just exploring and picking up odd jobs here and there while trying to increase my reputation where I can. One thing I am going to mod myself is "Show me your wares please" ..... I don't talk like that and if I did they would mug me on the way back to my ship..... Have a couple of drones to protect and scan..... still enjoying at this point, a lot to discover and have found one stations changed enough that it has not bothered me or killed the immersion.
How is the cap ship AI working? That's the main concern I have at this point. I get (and can agree with) a decision to abandon all the micromanagement of your fleet by assigning officers and letting them do their thing. What I've read is that it mostly isn't working...but I'm also wondering if that's an artifact of people hell-bent on playing this like it's X3.
I'm not a big fan of the mini-games, but other than that see a lot of potential in this. It isn't X4, but it has a measure of fun to it.
A major bug in the ship AI seems to exist that rears its ugly head in the campaign. If the player loads too many trips (ie. 3), the AI vessel seems to get confused and winds up sitting around doing nothing. When this happens the campaign mission cannot be completed. The fix for me was to open the save file and delete the 3 trips from the ship/trade section of the file. Once I did this, I jumped back into the game and was able to complete the transaction and move on with the campaign.
Still, a giant pain in the butt. I understand they are working on a "cancel mission" option for the menu system.
Anyway, just posting this here in case anyone else gets stuck.
My solution at this point was to skip the amosite and go right for sandbox
JH: did the AA fix work for you in restoring the menu?
I find this game MUCH more immersive and "fun" than x3. I actually feel like I am flying around space rather than from one point to another.
Quote from: mikeck on November 17, 2013, 12:29:08 PM
JH: did the AA fix work for you in restoring the menu?
No. Unfortunately, I had to go back to an older save.
I was reading a thread on this game over at SimHQ and they seem to be enjoying Rebirth well enough as well.
These thins tend to snowball. You get a game released with a lot of bugs and people get justifiably annoyed. Eventually people believe that every time something doesn't happen how they think it should, it's the result of a bug and start screaming.
One guy over at egosoft was screaming that there were only 4 sectors in the game with 3 races. Eventually someone pointed out that he was in a linear campaign and the other areas had not opened up to him. He had jut assumed that egosoft screed everyone and limited the universe
Well a few hours in and I'm not disappointed in the least. The station looting is silly and I wish I could figure out how or wish it were possible for the map to stay in the bottom right monitor like it does while your in Highways and other times...not sure when or why.
This is the most alive that space has ever felt.
If I could have a fix list:
1. Remove looting boxes and add it to the talking minigame. "I like you, here's some crap" etc.
2. I should see a radar/map in my cockpit.
3. Make the Skunk bigger. Let me collect crap from the talking minigame to fit out my ship.
Just a couple of items for the Free Play....
Best way to build up money is through missions.... and help gain reputation. Gaining money can be a grind, but once you get there purchase a freighter and start looking for trade offers.
Haven't even gotten to the point to where I can start to think about building a complex.
PE
Yeah, at first I thought "trading" was going into stations and buying odds and ends..didn't realize until later that the real trading is done outside with an "offer" system. Also, trade ships are specialized. I am trying to get some missions going. I really want to buy one of those particle cannons that look and sound like a minigun but don't have the rep
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 17, 2013, 01:39:10 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 17, 2013, 12:29:08 PM
JH: did the AA fix work for you in restoring the menu?
No. Unfortunately, I had to go back to an older save.
This fixed the disappearing menu for me: Use the radial menu to talk to your crew. Walk around the rear of the ship, and then use the comm pad next to the door to return to your seat on the bridge. Menu then works.
Seems like a bug happens where the game doesn't think you're seated and so doesn't pop up the menu.
Quote from: panzerde on November 17, 2013, 07:49:14 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 17, 2013, 01:39:10 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 17, 2013, 12:29:08 PM
JH: did the AA fix work for you in restoring the menu?
No. Unfortunately, I had to go back to an older save.
This fixed the disappearing menu for me: Use the radial menu to talk to your crew. Walk around the rear of the ship, and then use the comm pad next to the door to return to your seat on the bridge. Menu then works.
Seems like a bug happens where the game doesn't think you're seated and so doesn't pop up the menu.
What you describe did not work for me. I had to reload from an old save. I have not experienced the problem since.
The forum uproar about X Rebirth is silly. I hope the developers can squelch out the hoards of teenagers who bought it because of a Steam advert.
The game is a lot of fun and I haven't had any gamebreaking bugs yet. It could use a few patches, but what game doesn't these days?
Its positives far outweigh its negatives...at least for me. Definitely a step in the right direction for the X universe. Patches, expansions, modders will go to work...but as it is I already enjoy it quite a bit.
Its an amalgamation of Independence War 2, X Beyond the Frontier, and Freelancer....and a tiny bit of Evochron Mercenaries.
Quote from: republic on November 18, 2013, 08:00:09 AM
The forum uproar about X Rebirth is silly. I hope the developers can squelch out the hoards of teenagers who bought it because of a Steam advert.
The game is a lot of fun and I haven't had any gamebreaking bugs yet. It could use a few patches, but what game doesn't these days?
Its positives far outweigh its negatives...at least for me. Definitely a step in the right direction for the X universe. Patches, expansions, modders will go to work...but as it is I already enjoy it quite a bit.
Its an amalgamation of Independence War 2, X Beyond the Frontier, and Freelancer....and a tiny bit of Evochron Mercenaries.
same happened with Rome II - theyll get bored in a week and go scream at something else, leaving the forums for the people who want to discuss sensible tweaks
Rome II deserved every bit of criticism it received.
So far I am most disappointed in the visuals. Seems like a big step back from X-3. No exterior view WTF?
Lots of interesting posts on how this was not supposed to be X-4, but was made to be a game on the X-BOX.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349638
Im not necessarily saying this is a bad game. But like Rome II, and Battlefield 4, It sure does not seem like much of an improvement over its predecessors, and in some ways is a step backwards.
I have noticed that most mission on the early set is Fight missions and trade missions (which you cannot do on the outset of the Free Play). I have see couple of Build Missions floating around but still looking for Pilot Missions, and the Other Missions.
I found this posted at Roguey's (http://roguey.co.uk/xrebirth/) site that gives you the info for flying around the sectors.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2Fx4-1.png&hash=3661f401621114277bb32c35c54b49ce996ab93c)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2Fx4-2.png&hash=0315c90901bc17f819a9c90077ee38dd9c34baf2)
The universe
The universe in X-Rebirth has changed a lot since the previous games. In the older x-games, we had sectors which were connected together with gates. You would travel to a gate, to enter another sector and so on. Whilst there are still gates and sectors, they are very much different now.
At the top, we have the galaxy. The galaxy is basically everything in the x-universe. Think of it as the world (Earth) to make things easier.
Now Earth is divvied into smaller sections - called continents (ie America, Europe, Asia etc). The same happens in X-R, the galaxy is split into clusters. There are 4 clusters in the universe. In our example, the continents are linked together by planes which take you to other continents.
Each cluster is split into sectors. Whilst the name remains the same as the previous games, a sector is a lot larger than before. Think of a sector like a country (ie. UK, Germany, France etc.) in Europe, and say these countries are linked together by trains (I know there are other ways, but that will make things more confusing). So to travel between them we need to get on a train to reach them. We may not get-off the train at any-time, only at train-stops and we can only go in the direction of the train. In X-R these trains are called super-highways.
So we have countries, we have towns and cities too? Well in X-R these are called zones. Zones are just areas, like our towns/cities. Our towns and cities are linked together by roads. In X-R these roads are called Local highway's. Unlike the train, we can exit a road at any time in a car. However think of them as one-way roads.
I hope the real-world examples didn't add more confusion to my explanation. Here's a quick diagram of the above, which may make it a bit easier to understand;
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2Fx4-3.png&hash=1b0350ef30c2862cdbeb33e335f6abbe22b5e658)
PE
If only my mouse would work with the joystick plugged in I might be able to click on something.
BBOYER66 - I'm with you on the graphics thing. With everything cranked up, it pales in significance to TC or AP imo. It's busier yes, but as someone else said I think it can be because the graphics are poor...either that or someone stole my good eyes and replace them with ugly ones ;D
The X series has always meant 3 things to me
1 isn't there and I can't really see two and 3 and the moment because I've been so buggered with the controls. Now my joystick works but the mouse doesn't and so I can't click on anything, can't accept missions, can't dock, nothing.
I haven't been able to play much so can't really comment constructively or otherwise re the gameplay.
I will say this though...it's the only release I remember where it didn't bother me I couldn't play it on release. That says something...either I'm an arse or the game doesn't look as nice as I was expecting (looks pull me to a game before gameplay...I'm shallow like that ;D ).
I find it quite the stretch to call the graphics poor. They are less sharp and some ships (especially the lane traffic) seems to be rather low poly.
But if you look at the seamlessness of the game we should not underestimate the sheer amount of movement the game keeps track of.
For example; when you are walking on a station and look outside the window you are looking at the same busy sector in real time as when you are in the cockpit.
You can Dock at many ships, again when walking around in those the world outside keeps on going.
This is nothing short of spectacular and of course there has to be a tradeoff in polygons and detail.
Still, calling them poor is not fair IMHO.
Except the character models of course! Lol!
Another thing; the shading in stations and ship interiors seem to be sort of cell shaded not unlike Borderlands. I am not sure if the outside is as well. Perhaps this causes the view of certain aspects of the game having lesser graphics.
But I think All objects are shaded like this. It does give a different feel to the game from previous versions, but I do not want to call them poor.
But we cannot argue about taste now, can we. ;)
Speaking of character models. Why are women of the future so damn butt ugly? I mean, if you're going to clone the same model over and over again, at least make it look good.
I'm enjoying the game a lot. It feels more alive than X's of past. I prefer the highways to the interconnected cubes of space that the previous X's all had. Also, using SETA to travel always took me out of the game, if that makes sense. Both of those became major turnoffs for me... With Beyond the Frontier it was great, but as other space games were able to do vast expanses of space...the interconnected cubes seemed silly.
The single ship was told to us in the outset so while I wish I could fly other ships...they did at least tell me ahead of time. I'd like more ships, and I was lead to believe I could stand on the bridge of my capships and watch things happen...but maybe that will come later? Being a 1 ship game though, I was expecting more to do on the inside of my ship...I'm deeply disappointed in the 2 rooms, and only 1 is navigable. There's nothing to do in your ship except walk in and out of it.
The graphics are typical of many shader heavy games. X3 is 'clean' whereas Rebirth relies on lots of shader effects which makes the 'blurry' look. Its an art/graphics technology choice. I don't mind it, but I do understand why others would.
When I say poor, I'm comparing them to TC and AB. I preferred the look of those to this. This is cartoonish, brash and blurry.
And I totally agree about everything the game is "keeping track of". But I'm a graphics whore. Always have been. I didn't spend £1000 buying a new computer so I could buy and play ugly games and no, I'm not saying this is ugly.
Ok - I won't say poor either...I'll go with "the graphics in Rebirth are a wee bit shite compared to TC and AB" ;)
And yes JH - beautiful women of the future is what's required. More like her from Mass Effect 3 - she looked kind of cute iirc.
Well... to be honest I will still play both X3 and XreBirth. Both give me a different feel and I think they are different enough to still play both.
As for the women.... welcome to the new frontier and ugly women are the new norm... time to seek out new life forms! I find the dancing women in the bars..... comedy.. especially when I walk up to a women setting in the both of a dancing female hologram.
PE
Quote from: bboyer66 on November 18, 2013, 09:16:45 AM
Rome II deserved every bit of criticism it received.
So far I am most disappointed in the visuals. Seems like a big step back from X-3. No exterior view WTF?
Lots of interesting posts on how this was not supposed to be X-4, but was made to be a game on the X-BOX.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349638
Im not necessarily saying this is a bad game. But like Rome II, and Battlefield 4, It sure does not seem like much of an improvement over its predecessors, and in some ways is a step backwards.
I get what you are saying. But just like X rebirth, in Rome 2, much of the criticism was about the direction the game took with its user interface as well as concepts. Many people hated it because it was different claiming that Rome 2 was made for consoles...seems to be the new thing; if a game changes it's concept it must be because it's been ready for a console.
it turns out at least for me and for many others, that the changes in Rome2 make it a superior game to the campaign aspect of previous Rome total war games. I like the provinces and I like the way buildings are made. Much of the complaining about X is because you only get one ship or people don't like the way trades are made. heck, I've got a bunch of people complaining that the economy is broken! how could one possibly know after they have only played for a couple hours?
I think it's just snowballed and it's gotten completely out of control with people thinking that everything is a bug because it doesn't work the way they remembered it. And because they don't like design decisions the assumption that it must've been ported for console and the exaggeration of everybody being game breaking
I love the new trading system and I like the fact that I'm in a cockpit and I have to move around the station to go talk to people to trade wares... where as to me it's more immersive, to many, this is a proof it was made for consoles I just don't see it that way.
Lol, you like it or you don't and nobody is right or wrong. But many of the bugs in this game and Rome2 were highly exaggerated by people who hated the game because of the design decisions ...in both cases, decisions I think made the games better
I apologize if the above post is virtually unreadable. I am using the voice recording thing on my iPhone because I am driving and it does not always record properly.
Well... funny thing is that people complained about the slow start to X3... the SETA drive, jump gates making it less seamless, the exploit of the stock market... etc..... etc....
Now... all of a sudden those things were great. lol
I like both games for what they are and I am enjoying reBirth, it has been a adjustment, but nothing show stoping for me. Time will tell which one I play more, but at this point I will continue to play both.
PE
Quote from: mikeck on November 18, 2013, 12:04:13 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on November 18, 2013, 09:16:45 AM
Rome II deserved every bit of criticism it received.
So far I am most disappointed in the visuals. Seems like a big step back from X-3. No exterior view WTF?
Lots of interesting posts on how this was not supposed to be X-4, but was made to be a game on the X-BOX.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349638
Im not necessarily saying this is a bad game. But like Rome II, and Battlefield 4, It sure does not seem like much of an improvement over its predecessors, and in some ways is a step backwards.
I get what you are saying. But just like X rebirth, in Rome 2, much of the criticism was about the direction the game took with its user interface as well as concepts. Many people hated it because it was different claiming that Rome 2 was made for consoles...seems to be the new thing; if a game changes it's concept it must be because it's been ready for a console.
it turns out at least for me and for many others, that the changes in Rome2 make it a superior game to the campaign aspect of previous Rome total war games. I like the provinces and I like the way buildings are made. Much of the complaining about X is because you only get one ship or people don't like the way trades are made. heck, I've got a bunch of people complaining that the economy is broken! how could one possibly know after they have only played for a couple hours?
I think it's just snowballed and it's gotten completely out of control with people thinking that everything is a bug because it doesn't work the way they remembered it. And because they don't like design decisions the assumption that it must've been ported for console and the exaggeration of everybody being game breaking
I love the new trading system and I like the fact that I'm in a cockpit and I have to move around the station to go talk to people to trade wares... where as to me it's more immersive, to many, this is a proof it was made for consoles I just don't see it that way.
Lol, you like it or you don't and nobody is right or wrong. But many of the bugs in this game and Rome2 were highly exaggerated by people who hated the game because of the design decisions ...in both cases, decisions I think made the games better
Yep, game criticism is getting relatively less useful as games get better. Nowadays figuring out what people are actually seeing that they don't like is harder than just playing the game to see if you like it. I think it is a problem with analysis (and I've said this before) in that many games these days work so well at a basic level that his basic functionality disappears analytically. For example, no matter how you look at it, graphically Rome II's battles situate the formations/units in terrain much better than any game I've ever seen, but in effect it works so well that it is invisible in terms of analytic experience and people don't even notice what a masterpeice that all is graphically. So if the game is really good (like Rome II), most of the game is just not there for analysis because it is working all too well. So people only have whatever odd things they have noticed to say anything about. and that's pretty random from what I've seen.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 18, 2013, 10:32:39 AM
When I say poor, I'm comparing them to TC and AB. I preferred the look of those to this. This is cartoonish, brash and blurry.
And I totally agree about everything the game is "keeping track of". But I'm a graphics whore. Always have been. I didn't spend £1000 buying a new computer so I could buy and play ugly games and no, I'm not saying this is ugly.
Ok - I won't say poor either...I'll go with "the graphics in Rebirth are a wee bit shite compared to TC and AB" ;)
And yes JH - beautiful women of the future is what's required. More like her from Mass Effect 3 - she looked kind of cute iirc.
Yeah, I agree that in terms of a snapshot or a screenshot the graphics in Albeon pride or X.3 TC are superior. However I think the graphics are better in rebirth when you look at how fluid things move,the way the ships move the trails from the engines the weapons affects the way the ship soon and out of the stations everything moves much more fluid and realistic than X.3. That culmination of fluid movements to meet gets it overall better graphical presentation. I feel like I am in a live space sector as opposed to just a game basically
I'll definitely give you it feels more alive and less clinical than the previous titles.
Perhaps I've not played it enough yet.
I'm with Panzer, I'll be playing both. They are each good in their own right.
Ok..question: is there any reason to play the campaign other than as a turorial? In x3, you could play the campaign but stop for as long as you wanted between missions to do your sandbox thing. It was worth it for the goodies. Is it the same in rebirth? Can I stop after a mission and take a 100 hour break to build an empire...then continue?
Quote from: mikeck on November 18, 2013, 03:32:05 PM
Ok..question: is there any reason to play the campaign other than as a turorial? In x3, you could play the campaign but stop for as long as you wanted between missions to do your sandbox thing. It was worth it for the goodies. Is it the same in rebirth? Can I stop after a mission and take a 100 hour break to build an empire...then continue?
I have played through some of the campaign and stopped.... from what I can tell it is more or less to get you into the game and demonstrate how the game works. I may go back at some point, but is more fun playing the sandbox and exploring to me. I think you can just pick back up on your saved game.
PE
Some new mods for rebirth that change the cockpit, add trader commands, remove annoying dialogue (show me your wares please!) etc
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349319
Quote from: mikeck on November 18, 2013, 05:44:49 PM
Some new mods for rebirth that change the cockpit, add trader commands, remove annoying dialogue (show me your wares please!) etc
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349319
Fantastic! I knew the mod community would step up...just had no idea it would be so fast!
I have been playing for a good 2.5 hours tonight and I am totally enjoying myself!
While the interiors are the same for each type of structure, they are different between structure types. So the lack of variety doesn't really bother me at all so far. Enough change of scenery in the game.
I do find the UI clunky, even with a gamepad (which is very nice to use for controlling your ship in combat I found!). There's a lot of navigating through menu's and certain options are not very intuitive. But we'll adapt as we go.
Immersion all around! For example, one cool thing I saw just now was when my freighter had docked at a station to load some Energy Cells I had bought, you actually start seeing little loader ships going back and forth between the docking tubes of the station and the ship! O_O pretty cool!
There is so much going on around you that I find Rebirth the most fun game in the series, hands down. The immersion factor is just immense.
What I also find rather amazing is that when you're docked at a ship or station, you can actually still see the sector in real time with all the ships doing their business. All while you are running around in first person mode on the platform. Very nice.
Alas, time to go to bed, but I am seriously diving back in tomorrow again!
I just hate that the negativity is so vehement at Egosoft and on Steam. I'm tired of reading people blasting it for only being able to have 1 ship...we've known that for at least a year. Most people would like more than one ship...but the developers have been prepping the community for some time now.
For someone who has no experience with the series, do you recommend Rebirth?
Its the most approachable X to date. If you enjoy exploration and trade I don't think there is an equal. It isn't without its faults. I just experienced the "plop the player 100km away from the highway" bug today...but it was kinda fun to navigate my way back.
It truly replicates a living universe like no other game I've played.
Jomini...I love rebirth... More than x3:tc. Having said that, if you are going to dive in, I would recommend x3: Terran conflict and albion pride. There are two reasons. The first and most important is that since rebirth hasn't been out long as is completely new, there are not a lot of people that can help you if you have questions...we are all trying to figure it out. TC is older and has a dedicated fan base. Any question you have there are 10 people who will jump in and answer.
Secondly, there are bugs with rebirth. For someone just starting, why not go with the polished and relatively bug free version?
Of course, the other side of the argument is that if your going to sit down and learn a game, might as well be the one you really want
I don't really want any. Just curious. Har Har!
X-ReBirth is on Nexus Mods
http://xrebirth.nexusmods.com/mods/searchresults//?
PE
I'm apprehensive about modding the game up when I know there will be many incoming patches.
I am about to do a MASSIVE U-Turn here.
Rather than fire the game up and piss about with the poor interface and the poor control implementation, I decided to fire it up in sandbox and fly around using the mouse.
I actually took some time to fly around, check out some systems, check out some stations and ships and the universe is so totally alive. Very, very atmospheric and engaging. Ships with their "contrails". Slow moving big bugger ships. Fast moving wee ships. I went down towards a station which had a blue light going round in circles. As I got closer, I could hear the "thrum"..."thrum"..."thrum"... of it as the light passed around me.
I'm still not totally sure about the sector maps and I don't know what I'm doing with other things - but only half an hour without fighting the interface has changed my mind on the game and I can see what other people are seeing.
I still say the graphics (at a distance) are almost pre 2005, but up close, they're pretty good. They could be much better - but they aren't as ugly as at a distance.
As for the community...
I think we're being a bit naive and disingenuous to the X mob. Not to say "they're right", but Egosoft should expect alot of fire changing the game in such a drastic way - particularly from hardcore X fans. The series has a very loyal following and to think they wouldn't necessarily be up in arms at some of the changes introduced is a bit naive. Having said that - it's a game, and a good series, and you could argue they should get a life.
But such a drastic change to a beloved series would always ruffle feathers. I was taught at college as a software engineer that when making changes to a system, regardless of how the current system fights people, you should try and make the changes as subtle as possible and stay faithful where you can - because no matter how good your upgrade is - people fight change. I don't necessarily think that fits with the world of game programming - but "what aint broke don't fix" should.
And Egosoft should be slapped for releasing a simulator with an atrocious interface for setting your controls and a buggy one at that (I have to resort to using my mouse to get around and interact with the universe)
But - as I said at the beginning (yes - there was a start to this post), I did manage to fly around without being confuddled with the interface and the controls and it is alive and does look pretty good close up.
This seems to explain a few things, I put my purchase on hold and have gone back to X2 and Distant Worlds for the moment.
Darkspire
I just came across a gamestopper.
It's got to do with the plot, so I won't post spoilers unless you want me to, but it involved getting a new shield.
Instead of getting the new shield I sold my two current shields. Partly due to the fact the trade window wasn't making sense and I suspected a scripted event would happen resulting me in 'trading' my old shields for a new one.
No such thing; the old shields were removed from the Skunk and the mission continued as though I had gotten the new shield. Yisha actually tells me the new shield is installed when I get back to the ship, but the shield indicator is greyed out. Not good. :(
So, in fact, I just sold our only 2 shield generators to some guy on a remote station, just because his boss told me to. He never gave up his goods though! And now I do not have enough money to buy the darn things back... Load Game.
:)
Other than this I am having a blast! The campaign is actually much better than the corny versions that came before. The 'databursts' that fill the encyclopedia (the cutscene ones) are pretty cool imo. Fun game!
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 19, 2013, 07:09:21 AM
I just came across a gamestopper.
It's got to do with the plot, so I won't post spoilers unless you want me to, but it involved getting a new shield.
Instead of getting the new shield I sold my two current shields. Partly due to the fact the trade window wasn't making sense and I suspected a scripted event would happen resulting me in 'trading' my old shields for a new one.
No such thing; the old shields were removed from the Skunk and the mission continued as though I had gotten the new shield. Yisha actually tells me the new shield is installed when I get back to the ship, but the shield indicator is greyed out. Not good. :(
So, in fact, I just sold our only 2 shield generators to some guy on a remote station, just because his boss told me to. He never gave up his goods though! And now I do not have enough money to buy the darn things back... Load Game.
:)
Other than this I am having a blast! The campaign is actually much better than the corny versions that came before. The 'databursts' that fill the encyclopedia (the cutscene ones) are pretty cool imo. Fun game!
Same thing happened to me, except I had enough money to buy a better shield. I was getting a 40% discount so assumed that was the deal? Anyway, annoying, but hardly a game stopper.
Well it stopped my game there, didn't it? The mission right after that is a combat one. Doesn't work without shields. :D
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 19, 2013, 07:09:21 AM
I just came across a gamestopper.
It's got to do with the plot, so I won't post spoilers unless you want me to, but it involved getting a new shield.
Instead of getting the new shield I sold my two current shields. Partly due to the fact the trade window wasn't making sense and I suspected a scripted event would happen resulting me in 'trading' my old shields for a new one.
No such thing; the old shields were removed from the Skunk and the mission continued as though I had gotten the new shield. Yisha actually tells me the new shield is installed when I get back to the ship, but the shield indicator is greyed out. Not good. :(
So, in fact, I just sold our only 2 shield generators to some guy on a remote station, just because his boss told me to. He never gave up his goods though! And now I do not have enough money to buy the darn things back... Load Game.
:)
Other than this I am having a blast! The campaign is actually much better than the corny versions that came before. The 'databursts' that fill the encyclopedia (the cutscene ones) are pretty cool imo. Fun game!
I am playing the campaign to get the tutorial down and learn how to do things mechanically. After that though I'm going back to open sandbox. I have seen many posts about issues with the campaign and bugs and such which makes me think that it's really not worth doing the plotline at this point. If all you're looking to do is Starcher solar Empire then why not just do it on sandbox... there you can avoid all these bugs
Making my tour around the Universe I can confirm that stations are different depending on the area/race.... while some of the elements are the same, the station looks and feels different.... just fyi
Some post cards
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2Frx-5&hash=6a683ecb57d177eb7857ee5d266236183e683e28)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Flinesofcommand.com%2Fimages%2Frx-6&hash=4c74b70b4bd461cdd34660fe5428c94b98e2ac82)
PE
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 19, 2013, 05:07:34 AM
I am about to do a MASSIVE U-Turn here.
Rather than fire the game up and piss about with the poor interface and the poor control implementation, I decided to fire it up in sandbox and fly around using the mouse.
I actually took some time to fly around, check out some systems, check out some stations and ships and the universe is so totally alive. Very, very atmospheric and engaging. Ships with their "contrails". Slow moving big bugger ships. Fast moving wee ships. I went down towards a station which had a blue light going round in circles. As I got closer, I could hear the "thrum"..."thrum"..."thrum"... of it as the light passed around me.
I'm still not totally sure about the sector maps and I don't know what I'm doing with other things - but only half an hour without fighting the interface has changed my mind on the game and I can see what other people are seeing.
I still say the graphics (at a distance) are almost pre 2005, but up close, they're pretty good. They could be much better - but they aren't as ugly as at a distance.
As for the community...
I think we're being a bit naive and disingenuous to the X mob. Not to say "they're right", but Egosoft should expect alot of fire changing the game in such a drastic way - particularly from hardcore X fans. The series has a very loyal following and to think they wouldn't necessarily be up in arms at some of the changes introduced is a bit naive. Having said that - it's a game, and a good series, and you could argue they should get a life.
But such a drastic change to a beloved series would always ruffle feathers. I was taught at college as a software engineer that when making changes to a system, regardless of how the current system fights people, you should try and make the changes as subtle as possible and stay faithful where you can - because no matter how good your upgrade is - people fight change. I don't necessarily think that fits with the world of game programming - but "what aint broke don't fix" should.
And Egosoft should be slapped for releasing a simulator with an atrocious interface for setting your controls and a buggy one at that (I have to resort to using my mouse to get around and interact with the universe)
But - as I said at the beginning (yes - there was a start to this post), I did manage to fly around without being confuddled with the interface and the controls and it is alive and does look pretty good close up.
Good post and I agree 100%. Wait until you fly through a factory and actually see the factory pouring molten ore into molds and welding the molds into the solar panels that it sells to trade shifts incredible detail.
Your point reminds me of a quote:
"there are two things cops hate: change and the way things are now."
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 19, 2013, 07:40:39 AM
Well it stopped my game there, didn't it? The mission right after that is a combat one. Doesn't work without shields. :D
Right...but you're the dummy :P that went ahead and sold your existing shields without checking to make sure you had enough cash to buy a replacement...oh, and by the way, you could have repurchased what you sold at the same price. At least, it was listed for sale for the same price with the merchant I dealt with.
Anyway, you can't totally blame this on the game. You played a part too.
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 08:49:20 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 19, 2013, 07:09:21 AM
I just came across a gamestopper.
It's got to do with the plot, so I won't post spoilers unless you want me to, but it involved getting a new shield.
Instead of getting the new shield I sold my two current shields. Partly due to the fact the trade window wasn't making sense and I suspected a scripted event would happen resulting me in 'trading' my old shields for a new one.
No such thing; the old shields were removed from the Skunk and the mission continued as though I had gotten the new shield. Yisha actually tells me the new shield is installed when I get back to the ship, but the shield indicator is greyed out. Not good. :(
So, in fact, I just sold our only 2 shield generators to some guy on a remote station, just because his boss told me to. He never gave up his goods though! And now I do not have enough money to buy the darn things back... Load Game.
:)
Other than this I am having a blast! The campaign is actually much better than the corny versions that came before. The 'databursts' that fill the encyclopedia (the cutscene ones) are pretty cool imo. Fun game!
I am playing the campaign to get the tutorial down and learn how to do things mechanically. After that though I'm going back to open sandbox. I have seen many posts about issues with the campaign and bugs and such which makes me think that it's really not worth doing the plotline at this point. If all you're looking to do is Starcher solar Empire then why not just do it on sandbox... there you can avoid all these bugs
Yes true indeed. But, like you, I have started the campaign solely to get my feet wet and get introduced to the different mechanics of the game; which are pretty different from its predecessors. Still, you can just leave the missions be indefinately and free roam in the campaign too, taking up the missions again as you see fit.
My Skunk has seen some nasty battles just now and I need to repair my hull. Money is the biggest problem at the moment. I do not have enough to completely repair the hull (I miss the incremental repairs of X3 here; in Rebirth repairs are divided by system, but you have to pay the full amount for the system upfront).
So I am flying around in a ship that's held together with duct-tape, Plutarch is jumping me whenever they get the chance and I need to get a few jobs done to earn some cash! I haven't found a lucrative trade run for my freighter either.. They all sell above the average, making it impossible to make a profit.
Still, I am enjoying myself tremendously!
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 19, 2013, 09:31:23 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 19, 2013, 07:40:39 AM
Well it stopped my game there, didn't it? The mission right after that is a combat one. Doesn't work without shields. :D
Right...but you're the dummy :P that went ahead and sold your existing shields without checking to make sure you had enough cash to buy a replacement...oh, and by the way, you could have repurchased what you sold at the same price. At least, it was listed for sale for the same price with the merchant I dealt with.
Anyway, you can't totally blame this on the game. You played a part too.
Yes I am certainly to blame for this, but like I said; the trade window is pretty vague. Plus as it was a mission I expected a scripted action, not a normal trade.
But no, I could not buy them back at the same price. I checked. He sold them for 8% profit. Bastard!
Blow up his station...or at least work toward that goal
Has any one tried the escort missions? I have done two and both worth about 50K apiece.... killed 4 pirates only to have 2 more attack out of no where once we get to the station at the same time to blow up the ship I am escorting..... aarrrggghhhh
PE
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 19, 2013, 09:34:13 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 19, 2013, 09:31:23 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 19, 2013, 07:40:39 AM
Well it stopped my game there, didn't it? The mission right after that is a combat one. Doesn't work without shields. :D
Right...but you're the dummy :P that went ahead and sold your existing shields without checking to make sure you had enough cash to buy a replacement...oh, and by the way, you could have repurchased what you sold at the same price. At least, it was listed for sale for the same price with the merchant I dealt with.
Anyway, you can't totally blame this on the game. You played a part too.
Yes I am certainly to blame for this, but like I said; the trade window is pretty vague. Plus as it was a mission I expected a scripted action, not a normal trade.
But no, I could not buy them back at the same price. I checked. He sold them for 8% profit. Bastard!
Yes, the trade window is definitely confusing...no doubt about it. That's interesting that the merchant in your game was selling for a profit. I wonder if the 40% discount I was getting had to do with the number of 'i' icons I have explored at the particular station...you know how that unlocks deals and gives extra discounts, etc.
I noticed Escort missions vary every time you accept it.
I had the same problem where my target for escort got destroyed a few times. Each time I reloaded the game and each time the enemies emerged at different points in the Mission.
Also, the escort targets sometimes seem to cruise into the unknown void without an aparent target only to suddenly turn around and fly straight to their target again.
Beware enemies can pop up at any time!
JH, yes I know about the unlocks. Ironically the whole station had been scanned already.
...so i keep the old shields unitil i have earned the money to pay the difference for the update, right ?
(i visited the trader ... and now plan to continue with the story and will visit him later again)
Ok. I'm doing the campaign as a tutorial and I am at the beginning. Basically, I just found my freighter and was tasked with finding a pilot..which I did. I delivered him to the ship, assigned him there and added the ship to my squad. Then I had to find a repair officer to fix my ship.Fine. Next task is to hire a ship defense officer. There is no guidance for this and I can't find one. The one I did find right next to the repair doesn't offer an option for hire.
So...where do I go? Is there one around in te same platform as the repair officer or so I have to fly to different sectors? Also, does my -now piloted- freighter automatically follow me or does he just hang out in that sector?
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 01:06:20 PM
Ok. I'm doing the campaign as a tutorial and I am at the beginning. Basically, I just found my freighter and was tasked with finding a pilot..which I did. I delivered him to the ship, assigned him there and added the ship to my squad. Then I had to find a repair officer to fix my ship.Fine. Next task is to hire a ship defense officer. There is no guidance for this and I can't find one. The one I did find right next to the repair doesn't offer an option for hire.
So...where do I go? Is there one around in te same platform as the repair officer or so I have to fly to different sectors? Also, does my -now piloted- freighter automatically follow me or does he just hang out in that sector?
Fly to the bar and look around... once you hire him, you will have to fly and dock with your freighter and then assign him to the ship. Your freighter will just set there until it has a pilot.
PE
Nevermind. I asked the one I had found before where I could find a defense officer and that activated the guidance
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 19, 2013, 01:12:23 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 01:06:20 PM
Ok. I'm doing the campaign as a tutorial and I am at the beginning. Basically, I just found my freighter and was tasked with finding a pilot..which I did. I delivered him to the ship, assigned him there and added the ship to my squad. Then I had to find a repair officer to fix my ship.Fine. Next task is to hire a ship defense officer. There is no guidance for this and I can't find one. The one I did find right next to the repair doesn't offer an option for hire.
So...where do I go? Is there one around in te same platform as the repair officer or so I have to fly to different sectors? Also, does my -now piloted- freighter automatically follow me or does he just hang out in that sector?
Fly to the bar and look around... once you hire him, you will have to fly and dock with your freighter and then assign him to the ship. Your freighter will just set there until it has a pilot.
PE
It has a pilot. Will it sit there until I give it a mission or will it try to follow me?
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 01:30:01 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 19, 2013, 01:12:23 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 01:06:20 PM
Ok. I'm doing the campaign as a tutorial and I am at the beginning. Basically, I just found my freighter and was tasked with finding a pilot..which I did. I delivered him to the ship, assigned him there and added the ship to my squad. Then I had to find a repair officer to fix my ship.Fine. Next task is to hire a ship defense officer. There is no guidance for this and I can't find one. The one I did find right next to the repair doesn't offer an option for hire.
So...where do I go? Is there one around in te same platform as the repair officer or so I have to fly to different sectors? Also, does my -now piloted- freighter automatically follow me or does he just hang out in that sector?
Fly to the bar and look around... once you hire him, you will have to fly and dock with your freighter and then assign him to the ship. Your freighter will just set there until it has a pilot.
PE
It has a pilot. Will it sit there until I give it a mission or will it try to follow me?
If you assign him to your fleet, he will follow you until you give him a mission.... I believe next it will direct you to buy goods and sell them. Once you do, your freighter will move in to pick them up.... then when you sell them, he will move to drop them off.
PE
No more Grannys in Space..... :P
http://xrebirth.nexusmods.com/mods/88//?
PE
Does the station walk-around part of the game take up much time?
Frankly, that looks like a facet that wasn't needed at all and the terrible character models and small repetitive area just reinforces that picture.
I'll probably pick this up when I get back to serious digital gaming, mainly because everyone says the game feels like it's "more alive" which is something the X-series has desperately needed. And despite the graphics being lowered to obviously work smoothly on consoles. But the station walkarounds just sound like a waste of developmental effort and not very amusing at all. Hopefully they don't take up too much time or effort because this series is all about being in the cockpit.
Quote from: Nefaro on November 19, 2013, 02:46:32 PM
Does the station walk-around part of the game take up much time?
Frankly, that looks like a facet that wasn't needed at all and the terrible character models and small repetitive area just reinforces that picture.
I'll probably pick this up when I get back to serious digital gaming, mainly because everyone says the game feels like it's "more alive" which is something the X-series has desperately needed. And despite the graphics being lowered to obviously work smoothly on consoles. But the station walkarounds just sound like a waste of developmental effort and not very amusing at all. Hopefully they don't take up too much time or effort because this series is all about being in the cockpit.
Honestly you don't have to spend a lot of time in them when you start trading... as trading is done outside of the station. There is already a mod that allows you to interact with people without having to land. Most of the time you are in space and you can control your ships and crews remotely, only land when I actually want weapons, repair etc..... so all in all most of it is in space.
PE
Yeah I can see where the running around gets tedious when you have played for a long time and just want to ramp up your empire's efficiency with dealing with NPC's. But as said; a mod is already available, so that's something I keep in mind for when I get tired of it.
One thing I noticed is that the loot crates and the credit stashes remain 'discovered' on a given location. They do not respawn, or if they do it takes a fair bit of time.
Not at all sure where you use all that stuff for that you find in those lockers and crates.. ?
Anyway, when you are looking for a specific crew member to hire, you can ask around. If the NPC (or ships captains) know a location of someone you're looking for they will give you guidance just like a mission to its location. Quite handy.
Though it might take some asking around, because I find more people have NO clue whatsoever than those who do. :)
SPOILER AHEAD
You might want to make some serious use of the freighter you get at the start of the campaign and pause the plot... It isn't yours anymore quite soon after and seems to just function as a tutorial in what you can do once you have one of your own. The plot does not explain why it suddenly isn't around anymore though. Pretty awkward and dissapointing. I think I am going to restart actually.
Quote from: Nefaro on November 19, 2013, 02:46:32 PM
Does the station walk-around part of the game take up much time?
Frankly, that looks like a facet that wasn't needed at all and the terrible character models and small repetitive area just reinforces that picture.
I'll probably pick this up when I get back to serious digital gaming, mainly because everyone says the game feels like it's "more alive" which is something the X-series has desperately needed. And despite the graphics being lowered to obviously work smoothly on consoles. But the station walkarounds just sound like a waste of developmental effort and not very amusing at all. Hopefully they don't take up too much time or effort because this series is all about being in the cockpit.
I believe there is a mod that eliminates the need to enter a station to trade wares or communicate with those inside
Be careful to check first wether a ship you want to make a traderun with actually is able to carry the product you want to buy from the station.
If not, then you can get the Tradescreen remain locked in view and the only thing left to do is reload the game. I just had it get stuck.
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 19, 2013, 04:02:13 PM
SPOILER AHEAD
Dang it...I was afraid of that once I was asked to go where I was asked to go. :(
Thanks for the answers guys.
I'll pick this up when the Spaceman mode hits me. Hopefully it'll have more post-release fixes in by that time. I am looking forward to checking it out just from the reports of the galaxy feeling more alive.
Played a few more hours tonight. This is the first X game I've gotten into since the original. The campaign is a nice primer, but I feel like I'm only snorkeling in the ocean...there's a lot below the surface once I'm ready to go all in. :)
I have to say, I am loving this game. I like just sitting and watching the little ships load my freighter with the items I bought. I like flying through a huge station and watching the bowls pour molten ore into molds, the molds traveling down an assembly line and then another machine stacking them. Amazing detail! I like that when I pull up the galaxy/sector map, I turn and face the large glass screen...makes me feel like I am actually I a ship instead of everything just happening on my monitor.
I also dig the drones. I arrived in a sector that had a hostile ship. I stopped and deployed my assassin drone and slowly piloted it up behind the enemy ship. He didn't even know it was there. BLAMMO...couple of shots and his engines started smoking. I called the drone back and watched the good guys blow him up from a distance.
Assuming the economy works as claimed, the detail is unreal. Things dont just exist and aren't just instantly created . Every energy cell (for example) in the game is actually made in a plant as I described above and tracked. If you were to destroy 100 energy cells, there would be 100 less in the economy until one of these plants received a shipment of silicon and actually made the new cells.
This opens up a whole new strategy of warfare. If you want to cripple another corporation, you can actually destroy a base or large shipment of a component he needs. Those components must actually be remade, reloaded and re shipped as opposed to just appearing after a certain time.
There are a few bugs but I have to completely disagree with the crowd complaining about the design decisions. I don't care about having to pilot the same ship...this game is so much more immersive:
X:rebirth:
1. Purchase ore
2. Freighter arrives and docks with ore plant
3. For about 30 minutes of real time, small ships scurry about actually transporting ore from the mining base over to your ship.
4. Ship loaded
X3:
1. Order Ore
2. Ship loaded
The highway system is awesome too. I don't feel like I am just traveling room to room. It finally feels like one big galaxy in which there are shortcuts. I don't care for the "drafting" mini-game so I don't use it. I just enjoy the ride. Walking through stations gets old but most of the trading takes place outside of the stations so unless I need wares, it doesn't matter
Some people just don't like it and I get that. But I think many others (on the egosoft/steam forums) would really enjoy it if they would stop whining, asking for refunds, complaining this isn't x3 redux and taking polls about whether egosoft will go bankrupt, and just play the game for awile.
Every thread about a game eventually gets a "oh s*** I like the sound of that" post
Well done Mikeck.... Christmas treat list just got bigger :D
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 09:16:05 PM
I have to say, I am loving this game. I like just sitting and watching the little ships load my freighter with the items I bought. I like flying through a huge station and watching the bowls pour molten ore into molds, the molds traveling down an assembly line and then another machine stacking them. Amazing detail! I like that when I pull up the galaxy/sector map, I turn and face the large glass screen...makes me feel like I am actually I a ship instead of everything just happening on my monitor.
I also dig the drones. I arrived in a sector that had a hostile ship. I stopped and deployed my assassin drone and slowly piloted it up behind the enemy ship. He didn't even know it was there. BLAMMO...couple of shots and his engines started smoking. I called the drone back and watched the good guys blow him up from a distance.
Assuming the economy works as claimed, the detail is unreal. Things dont just exist and aren't just instantly created . Every energy cell (for example) in the game is actually made in a plant as I described above and tracked. If you were to destroy 100 energy cells, there would be 100 less in the economy until one of these plants received a shipment of silicon and actually made the new cells.
This opens up a whole new strategy of warfare. If you want to cripple another corporation, you can actually destroy a base or large shipment of a component he needs. Those components must actually be remade, reloaded and re shipped as opposed to just appearing after a certain time.
There are a few bugs but I have to completely disagree with the crowd complaining about the design decisions. I don't care about having to pilot the same ship...this game is so much more immersive:
X:rebirth:
1. Purchase ore
2. Freighter arrives and docks with ore plant
3. For about 30 minutes of real time, small ships scurry about actually transporting ore from the mining base over to your ship.
4. Ship loaded
X3:
1. Order Ore
2. Ship loaded
The highway system is awesome too. I don't feel like I am just traveling room to room. It finally feels like one big galaxy in which there are shortcuts. I don't care for the "drafting" mini-game so I don't use it. I just enjoy the ride. Walking through stations gets old but most of the trading takes place outside of the stations so unless I need wares, it doesn't matter
Some people just don't like it and I get that. But I think many others (on the egosoft/steam forums) would really enjoy it if they would stop whining, asking for refunds, complaining this isn't x3 redux and taking polls about whether egosoft will go bankrupt, and just play the game for awile.
I agree 100%
I hope that Egosoft stops listening to the mindless drones in the forums and pays attention to the Steam stats of people actually playing.
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 09:16:05 PM
Every energy cell (for example) in the game is actually made in a plant as I described above and tracked. If you were to destroy 100 energy cells, there would be 100 less in the economy until one of these plants received a shipment of silicon and actually made the new cells.
This has always been the case as far as I know. The difference, though, is that you actually see all kinds of cool animations going on at the stations producing the goods and you can actually see loader ships loading the good on board of freighters.
This does take some time, as you pointed out, instead of it being just a click of the mouse and its all loaded up.
But the economy has always kept track of the units. This is what drove supply and demand in the previous games as well.
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 20, 2013, 07:11:14 AM
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 09:16:05 PM
Every energy cell (for example) in the game is actually made in a plant as I described above and tracked. If you were to destroy 100 energy cells, there would be 100 less in the economy until one of these plants received a shipment of silicon and actually made the new cells.
This has always been the case as far as I know. The difference, though, is that you actually see all kinds of cool animations going on at the stations producing the goods and you can actually see loader ships loading the good on board of freighters.
This does take some time, as you pointed out, instead of it being just a click of the mouse and its all loaded up.
But the economy has always kept track of the units. This is what drove supply and demand in the previous games as well.
Yes, what I mean is that each cell is "made" now. Silicon is transported, it is then smelted and poured into molds and POW we have an e cell. Previously, the program just POOF decided to create an e cell. Does that make sense?
I wonder if they could mod the ability to control other ships with the drone control. I think that would go a long way towards fixing the entire "one ship" issue many people have.
I don't see why not. You would just have to change what the drone picture looks like when you're flying it around to make it look like the interior of another ship. The mechanics would be the same it would just look like you're sitting in the cockpit of the ship instead of looking through the eyes of the drone
Much needed mod....
Verbose Traders
http://xrebirth.nexusmods.com/mods/133//?
This mod uses show_notification to allow your traders to inform you of their trading progress via the event window.
Currently shown events:
* Initial trade requests
* Trader moving to trade location
* Wares Receiving to cargo
* Wares Transferring from cargo
* Waiting for Orders
* Successful Finish
* Failing Finish
PE
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 20, 2013, 03:02:46 AM
Every thread about a game eventually gets a "oh s*** I like the sound of that" post
Well done Mikeck.... Christmas treat list just got bigger :D
Just keep to keep in mind there are plenty of people who don't like the game too... Many for good reasons. it does have bugs. Most importantly my description is about my observations and how the economy is supposed to work. whether or not it really does work like that underneath all the layers only time will tell. Seems to me it does but others will tell you it doesn't. Some will say it was originally designed for an Xbox 360 and assemble by five-year-old children working 15 hour days and sweatshops in the Philippines
WTF... Muslims space games or what? ::)
Tasteful Yisha Armour: this mod replaces the 'boob window' in Yisha's armour with a more tasteful grey mesh
http://xrebirth.nexusmods.com/mods/55/?
go figure, it has 600 downloads and is rank number 4 at nexus ? LOL
whats next a Burka mod :o
Lol!
My guess is we will actually see a 'rangeless sticky drone' to control other ships officially or by means of a mod fairly soonish.
If they patch up the empire management UI to become something that's intuïtive to use I will have no doubt the game will become a classic.
An old high profile community contributor called Giskard has put up his views (dont have the link here but its easy to find).
While I do not agree with All his points I do think he is spot on on the view as a whole and what we can expect.
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 20, 2013, 12:59:00 PM
Lol!
My guess is we will actually see a 'rangeless sticky drone' to control other ships officially or by means of a mod fairly soonish.
If they patch up the empire management UI to become something that's intuïtive to use I will have no doubt the game will become a classic.
An old high profile community contributor called Giskard has put up his views (dont have the link here but its easy to find).
While I do not agree with All his points I do think he is spot on on the view as a whole and what we can expect.
Is that on YouTube, steam forums, what?
Great thread recounting a battle:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=352243
Sorry, here is the thread with the link:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=352173
You're crazy if you don't balance the good with the bad in X-reBirth.... like the economy, however the fact that you can order a ship to be built..... and then watch it being assembled/constructed in the space dock... that is pretty cool.
PE
I agree! There is an insane amount of detail in Rebirth! I also like to Dock at one of my freighters while it is inbond to load or unload goods.
The captain even tells you when they are starting while he is standing there, not genericly over the comm channel.
It would be even more awesome if you could actually see stuff happening in the background of the hangar of the ship, but then again this might be unrealistic given the size of the freighter.
The amount of goods have been increased in Rebirth too. There are more energy cell types now. I find it difficult to gauge what good oppertunities are though.
The freighter you start with in the campaign can only transport energy cell types, but its very hard to sell them at a profit I find.
I have 800 units of Plasma Cells in my cargo, but the only place that takes them so far only needs 400 and besides buys them at -5%.
BTW does this percentage always reflect in relation to what you bought it for or what the price is according to system/galaxy average? This might make a pretty big difference and requires keeping notes if its the latter...
I think it also might become tedious fast if you always need to skim around stations to unlock them and cause discounts to appear when you want to trade.
Or does the reputation system still works to get standing discounts and the hands on icon hunting only provides readily available bonus discounts for the active player?
In that case I can live with the feature because you can build up relations to make a decent trade agreement for long term.
Also, how does the trade window present its deals? Are only deals listed for complexes you have unlocked / found? Do you need to update your info by visiting again to get a new tally?
I think the three of us are just talking to each other..but anyway.
Great fight video: after a few minutes if fighting, fast forward to 17:30!and watch him strafe that ship. Love it
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=aWY45kBGcIM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaWY45kBGcIM%26feature%3Dyoutu.be
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 09:16:05 PM
I don't care about having to pilot the same ship...this game is so much more immersive:
Woahhhh! Wait.
The player only gets
one ship to fly the whole game?! :o
Quote from: Nefaro on November 20, 2013, 03:58:31 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 09:16:05 PM
I don't care about having to pilot the same ship...this game is so much more immersive:
Woahhhh! Wait.
The player only gets one ship to fly the whole game?! :o
...and now gentlemen, we have come full circle... ::)
Quote from: Nefaro on November 20, 2013, 03:58:31 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 09:16:05 PM
I don't care about having to pilot the same ship...this game is so much more immersive:
Woahhhh! Wait.
The player only gets one ship to fly the whole game?! :o
Woahhhh! Nef, you wait there too. This has been no secret and Egosoft have been upfront about the fact that the Albion Skunk was the only ship the player was going to fly himself. Already after the first announcement of Rebirth they were pretty clear about this, so if this is still a surprise you haven't tracked the game properly.
Not to be a douchebag here, but this single criticism I really don't get, yet it pops up VERY often on the Egosoft forums too.
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 20, 2013, 04:38:22 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 20, 2013, 03:58:31 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 09:16:05 PM
I don't care about having to pilot the same ship...this game is so much more immersive:
Woahhhh! Wait.
The player only gets one ship to fly the whole game?! :o
Woahhhh! Nef, you wait there too. This has been no secret and Egosoft have been upfront about the fact that the Albion Skunk was the only ship the player was going to fly himself. Already after the first announcement of Rebirth they were pretty clear about this, so if this is still a surprise you haven't tracked the game properly.
Not to be a douchebag here, but this single criticism I really don't get, yet it pops up VERY often on the Egosoft forums too.
mmmhmmm...<looking at Nefaro disappointingly>
<mod>
Pilot multiple ships
</mod>
PE
Question about the tutorial. I got the mission to buy 100 energy cells and I purchased 100 energy cells. I then went on the mission to transport the passenger to the other station. After dropping off the passenger it told me to go back to the original sector where I purchased the energy cells. Now it still has my mission as buy 100 energy cells? I don't understand I'd already purchased 100 energy cells is a just a question of me waiting long enough for my ship to load up with the cells?
I went ahead and purchased 100 again and now my freighter is moving. Does the campaign mission not changed to "sell 100 energy cells" until the cells are actually loaded up?
Quote from: Nefaro on November 20, 2013, 03:58:31 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 09:16:05 PM
I don't care about having to pilot the same ship...this game is so much more immersive:
Woahhhh! Wait.
The player only gets one ship to fly the whole game?! :o
Yep. With a few caveats. The first being that you can dock on your own capital ships you own and walk around them. So you can ride on other ships :)
Seriously though, you have drones that you can launch and pilot so I suspect that someone will mod the "drone" view into a "capital ship" view
I prefer the single ship better. I become attached to it. Frankly, every ship I flew in x3 felt the same except for how fast in turned. I enjoyed flying my M7 but it looked the same through my monitor as the m3 for the most part.
So if you had your heart set on piloting multiple ships, stick with x3
Quote from: mikeck on November 20, 2013, 05:47:38 PM
Question about the tutorial. I got the mission to buy 100 energy cells and I purchased 100 energy cells. I then went on the mission to transport the passenger to the other station. After dropping off the passenger it told me to go back to the original sector where I purchased the energy cells. Now it still has my mission as buy 100 energy cells? I don't understand I'd already purchased 100 energy cells is a just a question of me waiting long enough for my ship to load up with the cells?
I went ahead and purchased 100 again and now my freighter is moving. Does the campaign mission not changed to "sell 100 energy cells" until the cells are actually loaded up?
There is a bug in this mission. See my comments a few posts up in this thread.
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 20, 2013, 04:38:22 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 20, 2013, 03:58:31 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 19, 2013, 09:16:05 PM
I don't care about having to pilot the same ship...this game is so much more immersive:
Woahhhh! Wait.
The player only gets one ship to fly the whole game?! :o
Woahhhh! Nef, you wait there too. This has been no secret and Egosoft have been upfront about the fact that the Albion Skunk was the only ship the player was going to fly himself. Already after the first announcement of Rebirth they were pretty clear about this, so if this is still a surprise you haven't tracked the game properly.
Not to be a douchebag here, but this single criticism I really don't get, yet it pops up VERY often on the Egosoft forums too.
I never really checked out details on the new game. I've been getting them directly from you guys. So, yes, I've been ignorant of this situation. I didn't really expect the game to be finished until next year and find that avoiding pre-release info cures me of the pre-release hype and yearning. It has worked out rather well other than not noticing that you only get a single ship to fly. I thought one of the coolest things about these space pirate/merchant/freelancer games was being able to progress through or buy more advanced ships on your way up. It's likewise been a staple of the X games.
This really does kinda suck. Hopefully there is a
lot of customization available for your one ship. I'm surprised the ship variety got axed. Do you think it was done to save time until release or that maybe they'll add more in DLC or some such thing? :o
I'm happy with the single ship. It reminds me of Independence War, I loved that ship by the end of the game.
I do wish we had more rooms in the ship so that once we get an autopilot we could futz around in the other parts of the ship doing things. Also be fun to have additional crewmembers as DLC or something.
I REALLY enjoy X Rebirth, and I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time. I feel like there are things to be discovered. I even like watching other people play it lol
I think that its a tragedy that potential lifelong fans are going to be turned away by the mindless drivel that is most of the forum complaints on both Steam and Egosoft forums...
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 20, 2013, 06:02:02 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 20, 2013, 05:47:38 PM
Question about the tutorial. I got the mission to buy 100 energy cells and I purchased 100 energy cells. I then went on the mission to transport the passenger to the other station. After dropping off the passenger it told me to go back to the original sector where I purchased the energy cells. Now it still has my mission as buy 100 energy cells? I don't understand I'd already purchased 100 energy cells is a just a question of me waiting long enough for my ship to load up with the cells?
I went ahead and purchased 100 again and now my freighter is moving. Does the campaign mission not changed to "sell 100 energy cells" until the cells are actually loaded up?
There is a bug in this mission. See my comments a few posts up in this thread.
Yeah, saw that. Except I had only given 1 trade order...now my ship is moving.
Is there a way to see what missions are queued up for the trade ship ?
Edit: had to load an old save and start over . My ship had two trade orders and said that it had completed both..but I couldn't sell to the new station and my ship was still hanging out in the gem-whatever- sector.
Nefaro, I am in fact a bit dissapointed about the level of customization being available for the Skunk. From the info that was presented to us and the questionnaires asked about how this would work once Rebirth got announced, I expected the Skunk to become more like the played HQ in X3, just in ship form. I expected we could add whole modules to th ship.
No such thing.
You can upgrade shields, weapons, software and drones as far as I am aware. You cannot add new compartments to it.
You can also hier crew which give you some added functionality like an Engineer on board repairing your ship.
Still, I do not think this is such a bad thing.
All is still there to build up a fleet and empire in the game. The UI just needs work to make it less of a chore to command things around, especially when your empire gets bigger. Because I do see where this will be a problem at the current state of the game.
BTW if you guys are wondering wether you can drop items from your inventory to prevent getting caught with illegal wares by the police, you can; go in the main menu (ENTER) to Info and then Personal Status. You can then check your inventory and drop items. Its a bit obscure but it can be done.
Mikeck, the trade window has a seperate page for selling and one for buying. Be sure to display the correct one depending on what you want to do. Otherwise it might appear you cannot sell when in fact you can.
Another thing to keep in mind is the naming of goods; Plasma is the raw resource, whereas Plasma cells are a fabricated good. Both are seperate items in the game.
Freighters also are specialized; check what they can actually transport.
I am still wondering wether the Adjustment percentage on the selling price is in relation to your buy price or to the region (or galaxy) average?
The price offers do seem to be tied to time. Once you leave a region prices will not update on your computer until you visit again.
Hopefully prices do keep updated if you have an owned ship there rather than the Skunk, but I haven't been able to test that yet. If not, trading will become a big chore once you have multiple ships.
I do expect though that they will get fed to you as long as you have presence in that region with either ships or stations.
For a sole trader things are hard, but that has always been the case in any X game. It takes a fair bit of work before you can make some profitable traderuns and once you get more ships and a complex you get some steady income.
No different in Rebirth.
Can any of you confirm whether you get your capital ship back later on in the campaign? I've returned to where my freighter should be but the only other ship listed in my employ is the smaller one given to me at the other place. Sorry for vagaries, trying to keep spoiler free.
QuoteThe price offers do seem to be tied to time. Once you leave a region prices will not update on your computer until you visit again.
Hopefully prices do keep updated if you have an owned ship there rather than the Skunk, but I haven't been able to test that yet. If not, trading will become a big chore once you have multiple ships.
I do expect though that they will get fed to you as long as you have presence in that region with either ships or stations.
Navigation Relay Satellites? They must still be available, I always seed a good few of those in the best areas before doing any trading in the previous games and then put one in every sector except for the pirate ones when I get further on.
Darkspire
Quote from: republic on November 21, 2013, 05:33:48 AM
Can any of you confirm whether you get your capital ship back later on in the campaign? I've returned to where my freighter should be but the only other ship listed in my employ is the smaller one given to me at the other place. Sorry for vagaries, trying to keep spoiler free.
I think you lost that first freighter. I had pointed out this happens a while back in this thread. I didn't continue the story afterwards so I am not entirely sure, but the simple fact that the ship doesn't show up anymore under 'Owned property' makes me pretty convinved you've lost it for whatever vague reason. It doesn't make sense and frankly feel like you have been robbed. Especially after shelling out over 100.000 credits for a Defense Officer. :(
Quote from: DarkspireNavigation Relay Satellites? They must still be available, I always seed a good few of those in the best areas before doing any trading in the previous games and then put one in every sector except for the pirate ones when I get further on.
Darkspire
I haven't seen any satellites in the game yet. But there are a great variety of drones, so perhaps a drone version has gotten this function. Not sure, have to look into it, but thanks for the tip in any case! :) *thumbsup*
I've encountered a bug. The mission where you have to use the UAV to scan the station...I've completed it 3 times and it keeps looping... As soon as I complete it it tells me to get in the UAV and has me scan the same things again...not sure whats going on
Edit: Not a bug, I was using the "Beholder" drone and I needed the "Hacker" drone. I wasn't supposed to scan I was supposed to hack :)
Just goes to show that the forum fervor can be contagious. Instead of re-reading the mission I assumed I'd found a bug.
Quote from: republic on November 21, 2013, 06:54:39 AM
I've encountered a bug. The mission where you have to use the UAV to scan the station...I've completed it 3 times and it keeps looping... As soon as I complete it it tells me to get in the UAV and has me scan the same things again...not sure whats going on
Edit: Not a bug, I was using the "Beholder" drone and I needed the "Hacker" drone. I wasn't supposed to scan I was supposed to hack :)
Just goes to show that the forum fervor can be contagious. Instead of re-reading the mission I assumed I'd found a bug.
True. but on the other hand the game could provide some better feedback to the player at time too.
That doesn't defend the vitriol at the forums of course, but just saying the game does leave the player oblivious at times while a simple message in-game would prevent this.
A good point made by RPS which I have had to deal with as well is this;
Quote from: RPSDrones play a few roles in the game: as one of the meagre upgrades to the ship they can act as defence buffs, and they can be directly controlled by the player in offensive roles. In this case, I was told to use a hacker drone (actually called a "Beholder Drone", but why use the actual word when an unused term can be substituted?) to compromise a station's defences. But because of my standing with the zone's police state – a standing that the plot forced on me – my ship was a beacon for all the police in the zone. Leaving the ship in the drone meant I couldn't defend it while it was under attack, and there are no automated defences: the co-pilot just sits there, dimly allowing the shields to fail and the ship to be destroyed. I had to return and defend myself, which only escalated the problem. This isn't really bugged, but it's a good example of the lack of care Rebirth has receive. I managed to complete the mission by jamming my ship into a gap in the zone's station.
Indeed a serious problem and I hope we get either automated defenses on the Skunk (stations already have those) or co-pilot AI to flee with your ship under certain circumstances.
Anyway...
In my game I have decided to get rid of the Plasma Cells. In the whole of Lookout Alpha and Inner World there are no oppertunities to sell them with a profit. I do not want to check other sectors.
So I have sold 560 of the 810 I have for a -13% profit... ouch.
I have found that the offers listed in the trade window do expire. This is because with the new system of supply and demand every trade is a seperate entry in the list. So whenever an AI or the player decided to take the offer it is considered done and removed from the list. After this you need to rescan the trade nodes to get new entries in this list.
On the one hand this is cool in that selling/buying points at stations are running in real time too; some aren't active UNTIL they have goods they need or want to sell. Pretty cool.
However, the downside is that it is pretty laborous to look for good deals when you just have the Skunk and a freighter. Because there is no way to automatically keep the tradelist up to date. I seriously hope there is a way to do this (as asked above), because I haven't found satellites or probes yet like we could use in the previous games.
Any suggestions on how to tackle this?
This brings me to another point about immersion (again!): There are so much little things going on, so much detail if you look closely that it almost seems like the devs were totally into creating this society, this living world (in which they have succeeded) that they forgot to put in some good thought about how the player was going to interact with all this on all levels (e.g. only having a single ship, vs having an empire). The more I play, the more I come across these things. (Have now played for 13 hours). It really is an unpolished gem, but we as player mostly need additional tools to interact with it all.
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 21, 2013, 08:17:40 AM
This brings me to another point about immersion (again!): There are so much little things going on, so much detail if you look closely that it almost seems like the devs were totally into creating this society, this living world (in which they have succeeded) that they forgot to put in some good thought about how the player was going to interact with all this on all levels (e.g. only having a single ship, vs having an empire). The more I play, the more I come across these things. (Have now played for 13 hours). It really is an unpolished gem, but we as player mostly need additional tools to interact with it all.
I agree with this statement and I believe that is why the first mod extensions we are seeing are mods that give feedback to the user.... better trading communication and control, Warning System feedback, better fleet control/comms... you would think these things would have been implemented to begin with, however some of the much needed elements of the game are being addressed.
No doubt with time this will be a solid title, and I have equally as much faith in the Modding community as I do Egosoft.
PE
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 21, 2013, 08:37:52 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 21, 2013, 08:17:40 AM
This brings me to another point about immersion (again!): There are so much little things going on, so much detail if you look closely that it almost seems like the devs were totally into creating this society, this living world (in which they have succeeded) that they forgot to put in some good thought about how the player was going to interact with all this on all levels (e.g. only having a single ship, vs having an empire). The more I play, the more I come across these things. (Have now played for 13 hours). It really is an unpolished gem, but we as player mostly need additional tools to interact with it all.
I agree with this statement and I believe that is why the first mod extensions we are seeing are mods that give feedback to the user.... better trading communication and control, Warning System feedback, better fleet control/comms... you would think these things would have been implemented to begin with, however some of the much needed elements of the game are being addressed.
No doubt with time this will be a solid title, and I have equally as much faith in the Modding community as I do Egosoft.
PE
isn't this the case with all games that are easily modded? paradox does it with crusader kings, eu. the total war games, skyrim etc... as ive said in another thread I consider mods to be quality of life items, graphical improvements. did they get halfway through this and say "hey you know what the modding community will fix this for us or come up with something better"
I think I'm ready to start off my own. Should I start a new sandbox campaign or wait until the rails stop on the campaign and start in the campaign ?
Well... I just purchased X: Rebirth. The big thing that made me pull out the wallet was the nearly universal reports of the galaxy feeling "more alive". No matter if you only get one ship with only a few limited customization slots or if they went overboard on the post-processing bloom effects.. I want to see how well they did on this immersion thing. I couldn't get into the X3 series for very long due to the universe feeling kinda sterile so maybe this one will hold me a bit longer.
I just got done checking out the Starpoint Gemini 2 Alpha and it looks much more polished than their first one, even in Alpha. It's a good time to be a Space Trader-Pirate.
Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 10:04:32 PM
Well... I just purchased X: Rebirth. The big thing that made me pull out the wallet was the nearly universal reports of the galaxy feeling "more alive". No matter if you only get one ship with only a few limited customization slots or if they went overboard on the post-processing bloom effects.. I want to see how well they did on this immersion thing. I couldn't get into the X3 series for very long due to the universe feeling kinda sterile so maybe this one will hold me a bit longer.
I just got done checking out the Starpoint Gemini 2 Alpha and it looks much more polished than their first one, even in Alpha. It's a good time to be a Space Trader-Pirate.
I think you will like it...but be prepared for some bugs and also for things you think are bugs but really aren't...just UI confusion
By the way, modding the game is a breeze. Creat a folder called "Extensions" and out in in your main x-rebirth folder. Them just drop the mod in...automatically activates.
I'm finding several very useful. Particularly the one that looks you to get station and trade info from a greater distance and the one that gives more feedback from trade ships
Yes those are pretty much must-haves right now.
The looking for and scanning of 'i' icons on stations is starting to get annoying now. I would assume that once you scan a certain component it is known to you and does not need to be scanned on a different station with that same module. But the game doesnt work like this. I find it a bad design decision and I cannot see why this is deemed fun, especially not in the long run. Why on earth do I want to keep scanning the same modules over and over again just to get some discounts on trades? It is silly and annoying after a while, so every mod that makes this easier is great .
And then I didnt even mention that the icons are dissapearing Willy nilly under certain angles, making it even more of a PITA to scan them.
Apparently the new 1.16 patch introduced a bad bug (must be the same patch development team total war uses) that causes the game to crash upon exiting the highways...so that doesn't help. Not much you can do with steams auto-patching so hopefully they will put out a hotfix.
Why do these types of patches always come out on Friday?
My initial impressions are good.
I'm not really seeing much in the way of poor framerate performance. The only really noticeable slowdown was during one of the video intermissions thus far. I just built a new computer, though, so that probably mitigates the performance spikes. It does look quite good when cranked up to eleven. The space part does, anyway.
My major complaint is the space station walk-arounds. The camera view has obviously been catered to the low FOV consoles. It gives me a nasty headache and nausea even walking around a space station for a few minutes. It literally makes me ill because everything looks too close and the mouse movement is touchy yet imprecise at the same time. Probably some mouth smoothing going on there (console-ish again?). This side of the game has prevented me from playing further than I have so I will absolutely need to find whatever mod allows the player to access internal space station stuff from outside. I expected the walkaround bit to suck from the start, and still think it's just a waste of development resources, so it's not a surprise.
I'm also still disappointed with ship customization. I thought it would at least have more of it. I can understand complaints about not having multiple ships, but I could get by with one if we could switch parts in & out of our lone vessel. There doesn't seem to be much there. I've come to expect such things in this genre since at least Privateer and it's a noticeable omission. They could've at least included 'modules' like that in Darkstar One; it only had one ship to fly but a variety of systems you could upgrade.
I've not played enough to get the full scope of what you can do in the game. I hope there is some kind of exploratory "look what I found!" kind of stuff. I would expect there to be since X3 had derelicts and such you could find if you looked around but I dunno if they've improved and expanded it or cut it back like they did with ship variety.
It looks great (minus the walkaround part with it's character models) and I've not yet experienced a game-lurching bug after about 90 minutes in. It does feel more "alive" but this is probably just due to the highways shooting more ships past at any moment, along with increased streams of regular traffic near stations. That is definitely an improvement. The ship controls feel good with mouse & keyboard although finding some things in the menus can be a pain in the ass, as is some NPCs listed as being inside stations but nowhere to be seen . Typical X menu interfaces that take some digging to find what you're looking for.
The game obviously needs post-release improvements but it's been playable for me thus far. I'm not sure how enthralling the ship combat will be since there's not much in the way of customization and advancement. *shrug* I'll probably enjoy Starpoint Gemini's combat and RPG-ish system more, once they finish it. X seems like it's more focused on gaining game wealth, which could possibly make me feel like I'm grinding money in Eve Online which wasn't all that fun. It does look like it can be some free-roaming sandbox fun as a whole, however. I'm gonna save any final thoughts until after I can find a way to avoid the nausea-inducing space station walks and let this initial patch-fest settle down so I don't have to constantly re-mod it.
I think you might find you enjoy the combat. Yes, your weapons are more limited than in x3 but franky, many of the x3 weapons were different versions of "glowing balls".
In rebirth, the combat is smoother due to ship movement and the localized damage features make for cool battle damage. You can also target subsystems. Shoot out the cap ships engines and they begin to smoke heavily and the ship loses control...vs x3 hit point system
Nefaro, I should add that you may-as i was- be really disappointed that there is no anti-missile defense. I really enjoyed watching my ships blast missiles out of space with mosquito defense missles...no joy here. I like the mechanics, graphics, damage modeling and fluidity of combat in rebirth but x3 had far more options in terms of weapons, load outs, missles, Etc
I have seen mosquitos been fired by other ships though. The Skunk just can't equip them. Perhaps this will change with a patch or a mod too.
But I am pretty sure they are still in the game.
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 23, 2013, 02:10:32 AM
I have seen mosquitos been fired by other ships though. The Skunk just can't equip them. Perhaps this will change with a patch or a mod too.
But I am pretty sure they are still in the game.
That's odd. I would expect them to be a player option if they're in the game. ???
Those mosquitos are those 'swirly' shells that fool a missile, right?
In that case I am positive they are in game, just saw them with me own eyes. ;)
I had my first crash because of the latest patch. :(
It seems the highways and boosting can cause it to crash now. All I did was tell the woman "Ludicrous speed, GO!" What could go wrong?
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 23, 2013, 07:08:16 AM
Those mosquitos are those 'swirly' shells that fool a missile, right?
In that case I am positive they are in game, just saw them with me own eyes. ;)
No, they are missles that destroy other missles. Originally they were not designed to, but x3 modders made such good use for them as anti-missile missles, that egosoft sort of adopted those mods
Disappointed in the recent patch as I now have routine random crashes with memory dump. Was fine until 1.16
question about the sandbox game: (i am new to the x-universe and started with campaigns as a tutorial of course)
what will trigger the gate to the other system to open (and then get closed by the evil company Plutarch faction too? ) in sandbox mode ...or are those gates already open, or open after some time when you managed to piss off Plutarch enuf...
Quote from: MikeGER on November 23, 2013, 09:49:32 AM
question about the sandbox game: (i am new to the x-universe and started with campaigns as a tutorial of course)
what will trigger the gate to the other system to open (and then get closed by the evil company Plutarch faction too? ) in sandbox mode ...or are those gates already open, or open after some time when you managed to piss off Plutarch enuf...
The gates are already open to you.
PE
Patch 1.17 is out . Fixes gate crash and trade ship traffic jams. Thought this was cool: read a thread where a player was in a sector with a shipyard. In the dry dock was an incomplete frigate. Upon delivering ore and some other items needed by the station , the construction drones began completing the frigate...some time later it flew out of the drydock and jumped out of the sector. Kind of neat when things are working.
Ship ordered
Dock acquires raw materials
Dock builds your custom ship
Ship delivered
if i listen very carefully i can hear 40 pounds desperately trying to get out of my wallet
You won't regret it...well, you might regret it.
Seriously though...just give it a few weeks. The game will still be here and will be a bit more stable. Not everyone is an impulsive as me. If a game comes out at $50 and you told me the next day it would be on sale for $35...I would still buy on day one for $50
Two questions:
1. Is there anything to do with wares other than missiles and drones? I see people selling food, spacesuits, calcite shells, etc. Besides being there to buy scavenged items, does anyone trade with them? I made a killing buying some missiles and later selling them at a $1,500 a piece profit.
2. Is the partical repeater cannon not the most bad ass gun on any space game? C'mon...a three barreled Gatling gun spitting out red balls of....red?
I'm getting frustrated with the campaign. It forces you to become enemies with the Plutarch Mining Corp. and then makes you run through space filled with their forces. You get attacked constantly, and then when you fight back, they report you to local police patrols. Stupid.
I left the campaign and started a sandbox game. Lol, unfortunately, after taking a few combat missions, I found that most were against either Plutarch or their pirate henchmen. After I took a capital ship destruction mission (which I competed) I have a very negative rep with Plutarch.
I've decided that I will just assume the role of anti Plutarch guy. I plan on assembling a trade fleet to make money and a battle fleet to destroy Plutarch trade ships where I can. Will see if I can beat back Plutarch monopoly
I was reading Tom Chick's (?) review of this game last night and man did he and the masses pound it. I'm glad to see you guys are able to find the fun here because this sounds just like another Rome 2 on some of the other forums.
Yeah, but I had fun with Rome2 also ! Lol
I don't know. I just play the game I have, enjoy the good parts, put up with the bad parts and have fun.
Rome 2 was never as bad as many suggested and neither is rebirth. It's buggy...but many act like it's the worst game ever.
Quote from: Toonces on November 24, 2013, 02:26:14 PM
I was reading Tom Chick's (?) review of this game last night and man did he and the masses pound it. I'm glad to see you guys are able to find the fun here because this sounds just like another Rome 2 on some of the other forums.
RPS also pounded on it. I'm waiting a little bit to boot my copy up. Still, people here that I trust seem to be having fun, so that holds more weight than RPS and WAY more weight than Tom Chick (remember, he also panned Distant Worlds).
+1 to that.... haven't bought it yet but will before Christmas based solely on people's views here
Egosoft is hard at work too. Patch 1.17 is live since a day or two.
I have been abroad so havent tried it, but did it fix the frequent crashes introduced in 1.16?
I ignore many review sites lately. There is something weird going on in internet land . Rome 2 was stomped while that was nowhere near as bad as the internet made you believe and Rebirth goes through the same shit.
Sure, the games aren't where they were supposed to be at launch, but come on, the internet speak in excessives rather than nuance.
I find it much better to discuss with communities like this one where a decent mature and mostly nuanced discussion about a game can be held.
I like Rebirth so far, but it does need to get some changes to its gameplay and give the player more control over things that concerns his ability to keep going at the slogans of the game; build, fight, trade and think.
There an excessive amount of think involved which often doesnt even lead to a solution to the trade, build and fight options. ;)
But I have no doubt this will be a darn fine game in a few months.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 24, 2013, 12:44:36 PM
I'm getting frustrated with the campaign. It forces you to become enemies with the Plutarch Mining Corp. and then makes you run through space filled with their forces. You get attacked constantly, and then when you fight back, they report you to local police patrols. Stupid.
I hit a point where PMC sent no less than a dozen fighters after me, and the cap ships I was supposed to protect refused to engage the enemy. I tried to get past this in various ways for a couple of hours, and realized that this game, for all the pretty, pretty graphics, had turned into a complete fun-suck for me. I'll give it a try again in a few months when Egosoft and the modders have had a chance to make it playable.
Dammit - the games running of defenders!
Quote from: panzerde on November 25, 2013, 06:02:35 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 24, 2013, 12:44:36 PM
I'm getting frustrated with the campaign. It forces you to become enemies with the Plutarch Mining Corp. and then makes you run through space filled with their forces. You get attacked constantly, and then when you fight back, they report you to local police patrols. Stupid.
I hit a point where PMC sent no less than a dozen fighters after me, and the cap ships I was supposed to protect refused to engage the enemy. I tried to get past this in various ways for a couple of hours, and realized that this game, for all the pretty, pretty graphics, had turned into a complete fun-suck for me. I'll give it a try again in a few months when Egosoft and the modders have had a chance to make it playable.
Not sure that is a bug.? (There are many) Ships you escort may or may not be armed or have a defense officer. Dunno...I am not playing the campaign.
There are a bunch I mods out though. One makes the NPCs harder but haven't seen one that deals with that issue...enemy sending too many
Take a look
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349319
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 25, 2013, 06:29:48 PM
Dammit - the games running of defenders!
No, you're confusing "panzers east" with "panzerde"
attached a screenie. Thought it it was cool with the freighter loading up
the second is the player ship..I love the old battle scarring and weathered look...not to mention the gun
few more...me flying through some sort of farm
and also me escorting my charge...a ship filled with water (top left..love the "weathered" look)) the farm I flew into is in the background
Quote from: mikeck on November 25, 2013, 06:46:02 PM
Quote from: panzerde on November 25, 2013, 06:02:35 PM
I hit a point where PMC sent no less than a dozen fighters after me, and the cap ships I was supposed to protect refused to engage the enemy. I tried to get past this in various ways for a couple of hours, and realized that this game, for all the pretty, pretty graphics, had turned into a complete fun-suck for me. I'll give it a try again in a few months when Egosoft and the modders have had a chance to make it playable.
Not sure that is a bug.? (There are many) Ships you escort may or may not be armed or have a defense officer. Dunno...I am not playing the campaign.
In this case it's a bug. The ships aren't mine, they're the entire HOA attack fleet, which is supposed to be attacking a station. PMC responds. There's dialog about the enemy jumping in, and how the HOA fleet is going to "keep them busy." The entire time, four or five HOA cap ships just sit there. They don't move to attack, they don't fire at the enemy, nothing. The one time I hung on long enough to get the order to dock with one of the cap ships, the game hung as soon as I did so.
The game has potential. I'm just seeing too many cases where trading doesn't work, or cap ships don't, or something else is not functioning. It seems that Egosoft has started to address some of this, but it'll take awhile. In the meantime I have plenty of not broken games to play.
Gotcha, yeah I quit the campaign because I didn't feel like guessing when I was doing something wrong or there was a bug. Plus, I just wanted to do my own thing
I played X:BTF a lot, and X2 a little, but I have to admit I never really gave X3/TC/AP a chance because I was a new parent and had no time. X Rebirth has actually made me go back and try X3: Albion Prelude and I have to admit...I understand why people are upset about Rebirth.
Its a little like comparing DCS: A-10C vs the A-10A module. Or War in the East vs Unity of Command. All good but distinctly different in their goals. One towards simulation the other towards gameplay.
I have to say also, that I'm disappointed in the level of customization that you can do for the Skunk. The whole selling point of the single ship was that you would get to know it, and it would grow with you...but as far as I have played and read...all you can do is upgrade the equipment like you could in the previous X series...nothing new. You have 1 room you can walk around in, and the cockpit that you walk in and out of.
Independence War did the 'one ship' idea much better, with the various navigation, damage control, and other screens you felt in control of your ship. Rebirth's side monitor doesn't provide that same feel.
Right now X: Rebirth feels like I'm playing the first Distant Worlds. I can see a great game...but its a ways off. Distant Worlds had/has the advantage of being the only game in town that does what it does so it had time to grow X:Rebirth has previous X's to compete with along with Evochron/Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen/Squadron 42 etc.
Right now Rebirth feels like a mix between X3 and Evochron...but doesn't provide the best of either. I like it...but right now it is like eating a poor quality steak. For me...all steak is good...but its a shame to waste a steak by cooking it poorly.
I will continue to eat my steak, but man it could use some seasoning and marinade time...
(I stink at analogies)
I agree. My problem is that the things i think x3 AP lacked, are actually present in rebirth. Unfortunately, rebirth lacks a lot of what X3 has. I hated that the x3, the universe didnt feel alive. Once I got some trade ships and a few factories, I got bored...I mean...what to do? I COULD buy warships to attack someone..but who? Everyone likes me. I WANTED to start a trade war with another corporation but whatever I destroy is respawned instead of remanufactured!
I know there is a mod but I'm talking about ships. I declare I'm fighting joneferco or something..I send ships in to destroy joneferco ships...then what? I lose a shit load of reputation and accomplish nothing! The ships just respawn and reappear after awhile like nothing happened.
So without a "living universe" I didn't feel like there was any reason to build a fleet since whatever I destroyed, magically was just remade instantly.
With Rebirth, I feel like if I blow up a ship, the Plutarch company had to spend a lot of time and effort to order new ones. If I destroy enough, I can ruin that corporation because they cannot replace the losses.
So I would rather play x3ap...but I can't because I don't feel like there is any reason for me to attack anyone when their crap just reappears 10 minutes later. Example: I fly into a war sector and destroy 30 Terran ships...then I fly to another and kill 100 xenon ships. Have I accomplished anything?????anythibv at all? No...because the game just respawns them.
At least in rebirth, when working properly, that should be more difficult since they must have the proper resources delivered and then actually build it. In x3, get just "spawn"
That's the best way I can describe it. x3tc and Ap are BY FAR superior games...but they lack that immersiveness...that "thing" that makes me feel like there are reasons why I should do things and attack things and that my actions actually affect the universe. That doent happen when ships and stations just respawn. Why bother to attack the terrans at all when they can replace any losses by respawning?
So for me, fully acknowledging its flaws, bugs and poor design, I will continue to play rebirth, not because it is a better game (it's not) but because it is the only x game that makes me feel like what I do actually matters...
Edit: the one thing that really pisses me off is being flat out lied to. For example, being told that we could modify the skunk to be whatever we wanted it to be; fighter, cargo ship, etc with various modules. Nothing like that exists
Quote from: mikeck on November 26, 2013, 10:49:14 AM
I agree. My problem is that the things i think x3 AP lacked, are actually present in rebirth. Unfortunately, rebirth lacks a lot of what X3 has.
That sums it up right there.
I'm sure the developer had time constraints in mind when they cut some of the X3 features from this one. The new one has a nice living feel to it, something X3 didn't have so much. But at the same time it's saddening to see what was lost.
I'll probably just sit on this one until it's matured some more. I kinda have to since I'll be reliant on mods to bypass the 3rd person station walking since it makes me literally ill. I don't want to be forced to wait on the mod to be updated every time there's a patch to the game which, with Steam games, is a constant deluge of small ones. Hopefully some leaps can be made and the frequency settles down after a bit.
Just had THE BEST space battle I can remember. I took a mission to destroy the commander of a rival faction who, apparently, was riding around in a capital ship without an escort. I took off an found the ship nearby attacking the station. Many of the local ships were firing on the capital ship.
I fired my nova drones which are like visually guided missles. Once you fire, it switches your view so you are piloting the drone...I drove the bitch right into the left engine..BOOM! Engine on fire and smoking. The ship is actually "listing". I fired my second drone and took out the second engine...now there are sheets of flame shooting from the top rear of the ship.
Apparently, the ship saw me hiding 8km away (fire drones from a long way off) and launched about 10 fighters. I switched to my anti-fighter missles and started dogfighting. I killed about 5 and the friendly station ships got the rest.
I use a missile mod which makes the "crusher" missles into slow anti cap ship missles. I launched two which hit the cap ship amid ships. The cap ship started firing these hugs ass lasers at the station and smaller flak stuff at me. I started strafing her with my plasma launcher and took out some sort of shield generator and a weapon. After a few minutes, the station fire really took its toll with these big blue plasma ball thingies and i got the warning :
"Enemy ship destroyed...massive explosion imminent...evacuate the area"
So I take off and spin around to watch. The ship goes up...and here is the best part...the explosion took out part of the station! Blue off a whole section. I took a screen shot of the floating wreckage of both. If you blow up a capital ship next to a station , it will take out a chunk of it...and I have no idea of it's repaired
This game has issues but I haven't had a battle that cool since free space. Will post the screenie later
Wow! That is pretty awesome!
Even more if this results in the faction that lost the part of the station going to rebuild that part and you would see a shift of needed materials for trade in the economy in that sector.
Are you going to stick around and try to find out?
I had a smaller version of your battle, where on the the cap ships blew up, but only took with it other ships in the vicinity.
As of its current state I find the game pretty cool as a dogfighter, small trader kind of setup, but I get really frustrated when I want to take things bigger. We desperately need more 'tools'.
I also find it very dissapointing that so many content seems to have been cut for the player. In previous games one of the fun things was to configure your ship any way you like. Egosoft claimed we would be able to with the Skunk as well, but the options so far seem hopelessly limited. :( That's a bummer and might contribute to the often heard complaint by people that they think the game was developed as a console shooter type of game more than a true X game.
I *really* hope Egosoft will turn Rebirth more towards the previous games in terms of player interaction. We need the Build, Trade and Think back.
As usual - with all the X games - I find myself flying around rather aimlessly.
The only thing I can see to do is pick up container loot on stations, fly by stations to unlock locations and info.
I don't know how to get started on trading. I don't know what the aim is. I don't know where to buy ships and even if I should buy ships. I don't know what I'd do with said ships if I did have them as you can't actually fly them. I don't know what missiles to buy or where to buy them and what would get me started on just being a kick arse astronaut. Simply put - not a clue.
So I started with the campaign. At the minute I have "found" a big ship...I was directed to go there...and I bought a pilot and an engineer and a defence officer I think...all of which have pretty much broke my bank. Last time I loaded the campaign, I was instructed to get someone else for the ship - but a) I have no money and b) I'm sure it was a repeat of one I just bought (Engineer I think). Now I'm in space with no icon to show me where to go to continue the mission and I can't find out where to go to find out what my mission is. But I digress - I don't want to play the campaign anyway really. I'm only doing it because it offers some kind of structure and at least occasionally I feel like I know what I'm doing.
If they simplified the game and the interface for idiots - it didn't work or I'm some kind of super idiot.
As with all the X games - they look great and the openness is VAST - but that just helps to confuse me more.
I expect one day it will kick in as did X3.
Oh and mikeck - that is a cool story.
Is that the campaign or sandbox?
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 28, 2013, 04:52:37 AM
I don't know how to get started on trading. I don't know what the aim is. I don't know where to buy ships and even if I should buy ships. I don't know what I'd do with said ships if I did have them as you can't actually fly them. I don't know what missiles to buy or where to buy them and what would get me started on just being a kick arse astronaut. Simply put - not a clue.
They keep info on lots of game mechanics vague on purpose, because they want you to 'think'. (See what I did there? ;) )
Seriously, they do want you to explore and find out stuff on your own.
You want to buy ships? Fine, you can! How you use them is up to you.
Its just that the tools to use them are just lacking in Rebirth.
As for weapons (and about every other item in game) you can look up in the Encyclopedia in-game what they can do and what they are intended for.
Press the big 'I' in the top left of the item screen to access the Encyclopedia entry, or go into the main menu (ENTER) and choose 'Info' - 'Encyclopedia'.
^ thanks.
I wasn't meaning to be critical. It's what X games are about. If anything, it's my lack of digging that stops me getting into sandbox games. Other people thrive on investigation...I'm a bit of a lazy gamer I think.
It's the lack of direction in sandbox games that hinders me. I'm at logger heads. What do I do? What do I want to be? Shall I get a fighter and make some money killing stuff? Should I get a freighter first? What about stations? Hold on - I've got no money!
But once something "clicks" it's always nice.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 28, 2013, 04:55:21 AM
Oh and mikeck - that is a cool story.
Is that the campaign or sandbox?
Sandbox... I generally don't do campaigns...like to do my own thing
I very much prefer rebirths model of corporation warfare over x3 racial warfare. I feel like I an join in with my own corporation!
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 28, 2013, 06:32:47 AM
^ thanks.
I wasn't meaning to be critical. It's what X games are about. If anything, it's my lack of digging that stops me getting into sandbox games. Other people thrive on investigation...I'm a bit of a lazy gamer I think.
It's the lack of direction in sandbox games that hinders me. I'm at logger heads. What do I do? What do I want to be? Shall I get a fighter and make some money killing stuff? Should I get a freighter first? What about stations? Hold on - I've got no money!
But once something "clicks" it's always nice.
That has always been the best thing and worse thing about x games. The problem with rebirth is because of the bugs, it's hard to know whether something is tough to figure out or broken.
Anyway, to your question. I did two things. First is that I used The very basic "Save game editor" in the rebirth mod forum to "edit" my save with an extra $1,000,000 credits!
Not really enough to do much but did allow me to buy missiles and new weapons and such. In the beginning, you can't trade because you can't afford a ship (sandbox)...so either cheat and give yourself more money OR so what I am doing and fly around accepting increasingly difficult combat missions. It adds up...$50k here...$35k there.
A recommendation: I added an experimental mod that fiddles with the trading in an effort to get the universe trading like it should.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=355127&sid=91078418c92e1d1cca2910e7f35f1dbe
I recommend it. It's too early to tell how effective it is but I instantly noticed two things when I installed it: 1. More trade ships actually docking and leaving port with supplies...second, when I found a shipyard and look at the available ships I noticed that ships were in the process of being built! One was at 86% completion when I started the conversation with the vendor, by the time I was done it was 97% complete. That indicates to me that the shipyard is getting deliveries of materials they need to actually build the ships so I recommend giving the mod a try it seems to really stimulate the economy
In my game trading has broken, fleets of capital ships just sit near the stations. The patch to fix it is due soon, and you can get it now if you opt in for the beta patches...but I'm too chicken I'll lose my progress.
I had the bug where you can't see your console, that took a bit to fix itself.
Then I landed on a station and was apparently attacked by Plutarch...its annoying because I'm in a hanger looking at my ship and I hear the computer "Shields critical"... That's pretty immersion breaking. I guess when you land your ship actually stays in space to the game engine. :(
I am using the beta patch. Seems to be working but I don't have a trade ship yet so I can't tell for sure. My glass map thingy disappears on occasion but if you just hit (enter) the (5) to go see your crew, when you re enter the cockpit it works.
The mod I mentioned above worked well for trading but I removed it for the new beta.
On the stability front, after 1.17 I have not had a single crash. The only issue I had was a ship that I was supposed to escort seemed to just fly around aimlessly and never dock. I just hired Marine Officer and 20 marines so I am ready to start capping ships and making some money. Goal is to destroy Plutarch
I tried the Enter 5 thing, it went to the cargo room and then back but still didn't work. I ended up having to exit completely. When it exited it did a crash dump log...not sure what the deal was.
Dunno, sorry to hear your having a lot of trouble with it after initially enjoying it. I know it's disappointing when you WANT to like something but can't
Maybe opt into the beta 1.18 patch and see if it helps. If not, so what a lot of others are... Shelve it for a few months and come back
I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. The game alternates from amazing to broken. I feel like I'm dating this girl:
Post in egosoft forums. Apparently, a group of guys with lots of time on their hands are actually really exploring the rebirth universe... As in, flying off into deep space and looking around. They are discovering planets and abandoned wrecks. This one is an old water carrying station... Notice the detail of the frozen water:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iWr5foX7T7c&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiWr5foX7T7c
Apparently, they are finding that all of the planets and moons move in real or it's around their stars. It's a pretty interesting read about the details of what is out there in space away from the sectosrs
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=355462&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
"SteveMill wrote:
And is there any game-play in these infinite spaces? Or is it just empty space?
There are interesting stations' wrecks, space objects (planets' satellites) being able to be reached, someone also saw a big capital-ship. The main thing in all this is that you can reach and see these objects in close. Even a planet.
As for the opportunity to build something - the guy didn't make such tests. So we don't know, if something can be built there."
Go down the thread until you see the post with the pics.
On another note. Concerning the economy, here is a pictorial laying out the economy itself: as in, what must be built and delivered to build something else:
http://stuff.incertum.net/x-rebirth/x-rebirth-all.png
Trade seems to work I. 1.18. When they get this thing running right, it will be unbelievable
Wow! That is pretty cool!
So an upgrade to the long range scanner might give some nice surprises! :)
If we are able to build in those remote locations too, it gets even more interesting! Provided the AI actually knows how to find your station in that case.
I have stopped playing for now. I am keeping tabs on what goes on in the forums and once I feel like the game is where I need it to be to become a less frustrating experience I will definately jump back in.
It feels like a gift still needed to be unwrapped, while looking at some other gifts in the mean time. :)
Good move. I can play around the issues I just do things other than what's bugged for example the last two weeks I just haven't been trading much I just go on missions and blow stuff up. Now with 1.18 working I'm going to A few trade ships see if I can start my trade fleet up
Some interesting observations by these guys that spent (literally) 3-4 days straight flying in rebirth:
"Exactly. He could reach a huge wreck, which you see, when enter DeVres, he found 3 secret zones and reached some planets' satellites (even found out, that they move according to physic's laws). Anyway, the main thing he found is that the space is real, and you can fly from one galaxy to another without gates (though it will take A LOT of time).
When the devs fix trading, I'd buy some plants and go travel myself"
"The longest distance i fly was close to 900km outside the zones.Even at that distance you still can find asteroids, eneny ships, deserted ships and stuff.Some dude even fly inside the planet crater in Omicron.The big empty is not empty at all.
I've come to take aggregate rating sites like Metacritic with a healthy dose of salt, particularly when the average score from professional reviews varies wildly from the average score for players reviews (such as with Rome 2).
But then there's this (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/x-rebirth). Man, I've never seen both a game's fanbase and established gaming sites alike so thoroughly roast a game before. Is it really that bad? At least some of you seem to be enjoying it, so I can't help but wonder.
Well many people have problems with change as a general rule. And Rebirth is different, that's pretty obvious. :) So perhaps this might explain why the reaction is quite excessive towards the game's weak points.
Having that said, though, the game does lack features so a negative remark on those points is valid. There have been quite a few crashes too, but most are solved now.
Like I said earlier; I think Rebirth has tons of potential, but it doesnt give the player enough control for now.
Game mechanics are lept vague on purpose, so people bitching about that obviously have no experience with X games.
Do I think the game is great ? No I don't, but it does have potential and certainly is not as bad as the internet make it sound.
Do you have to adapt as a player? Yes you do, even if everything would work as advertised, so give yourself some time to adapt.
Wow, I just experienced a capital ship battle...that was amazing!
I thought I was taking screenshots but turns out the hotkey wasn't working...so the ones I did get were as the battle was nearly done.
They should have opened the game with one of these battles and I think the reviews would have been much more forgiving.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcloud-3.steampowered.com%2Fugc%2F488935505780534815%2FFBAB46E5A7F83404831E140974C48ECA4980EF9D%2F&hash=699080787c43a6a069dfd213b865f253a9c2fabf)
Quote from: Martok on December 01, 2013, 11:12:22 AM
I've come to take aggregate rating sites like Metacritic with a healthy dose of salt, particularly when the average score from professional reviews varies wildly from the average score for players reviews (such as with Rome 2).
But then there's this (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/x-rebirth). Man, I've never seen both a game's fanbase and established gaming sites alike so thoroughly roast a game before. Is it really that bad? At least some of you seem to be enjoying it, so I can't help but wonder.
No, it's not that bad. With the new 1.18 beta, I have not had a single crash and trAde seems to be working.
Egosoft deserved to be hammered. The game was unstable and a lot of things didn't work. More importantly, the game lacked important things that they promised: like an modifiable skunk ship. Instead, all I can do is upgrade scanners and weapons. They had told us that yu could make it into a cargo ship or whatever.
On the other side, many people hate the changes and refuse to look at the good parts. For example, the universe is much larger, it is continuous (no room hopping), ships move with much more fluidity, combat graphics are superb, and most importantly, the economy is dynamic. Everything is actually produced in a station with raw materials that are actually mined and transferred by a ship.
I think the game is far more immersive that any x game before. It has the potential to be flat-out better than any of them. Right now though, there are too many bugs and as complex as x games are, you cannot expect people to try and guess whether something is WAD or a bug.
All in all, I am having a blast and will never go back to X3. I like just flying around, exploring and fighting. You just have to try to differentiate between people hating on the game because they don't like the changes and people that have genuine issues with the performance of the game. Lots of these people don't like the changes so then they just sees on every little blog and declare the game unplayable.
To me this is a lot like Rome two. The game was released it had issues and it was bulky but people exaggerated these bugs and issues and to clear the game horrible and unplayable. Meanwhile I was playing the game just fine and having a good time with it but then again I'm the kind of person who can play a game and enjoy the good parts and be willing to look past the problem areas until the repaired.
If I was you I would just wait a few weeks until a few more patches are released and then go ahead and pick it up
Had my first successful boarding action. I do like the complexity of the boarding system.
Hired a marine officer, hired a captain and then found a marine recruiter and purchased 20 marines and 5 veteran marines. I found a Rahana freighter owned by the beryll company and attacked.
Selected "board" and was given instructions to take out the shields, jump drive and both engines. When I did my marines shot out in pods and attacked. Took about 5 minutes for them to get inside and another 5-6 minutes to take the ship. Once I got word they had it, I docked with the freighter, dropped off the new captain, orders it to follow me and sold it at a shipyard for $3.5 million.
It was pretty cool watching a drifting ship with smoke and flames billowing from the engines and amidship while marines were launching to attack.
I feel like an a/hole pirate but damn...3.5 mill! Daddy needs a new frigate to start showing these companies who the new boss is.
Next capture I will fix up and use to start trading. After a few more, I plan on buying a destroyed and a few frigates for my navy. Eventually I want a station and wil begin taking out other trading companies.
Out of curiosity, how did it follow you after capture if you had taken out its engines and jump drive during he action?
Additionally, when you recruit marines, where do they go? Are they berthed on he skunk, or do you need some kind of transport capable ship?
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 01, 2013, 09:57:00 PM
Out of curiosity, how did it follow you after capture if you had taken out its engines and jump drive during he action?
Additionally, when you recruit marines, where do they go? Are they berthed on he skunk, or do you need some kind of transport capable ship?
I found an engineer in the system where my newly acquired derelict ship was floating, docked and asked the engineer to "repair ships". If it was out of system, I would have had to hire the engineer and physically transported him to the ship. Truthfully, I think I should have had to place him on the ship even in system to be realistic but whatever... So yes, I had to repair the ship first.
Not sure where marines go... The ether I suppose. You hire them but only the officer shows up in your crew bay. When you order them to board, a bunch of pods (one for each mark e) fire out from your ship. So I suppose it's "modeled" that they are in the inaccessible cargo bay or something. But no, you don't need a transport, they are on the Skunk... Somewhere
Quote from: mikeck on December 01, 2013, 09:20:09 PM
Had my first successful boarding action. I do like the complexity of the boarding system.
Hired a marine officer, hired a captain and then found a marine recruiter and purchased 20 marines and 5 veteran marines. I found a Rahana freighter owned by the beryll company and attacked.
Selected "board" and was given instructions to take out the shields, jump drive and both engines. When I did my marines shot out in pods and attacked. Took about 5 minutes for them to get inside and another 5-6 minutes to take the ship. Once I got word they had it, I docked with the freighter, dropped off the new captain, orders it to follow me and sold it at a shipyard for $3.5 million.
It was pretty cool watching a drifting ship with smoke and flames billowing from the engines and amidship while marines were launching to attack.
I feel like an a/hole pirate but damn...3.5 mill! Daddy needs a new frigate to start showing these companies who the new boss is.
Next capture I will fix up and use to start trading. After a few more, I plan on buying a destroyed and a few frigates for my navy. Eventually I want a station and wil begin taking out other trading companies.
the more i read of your stories the more my card starts vibrating - i just wish there wasnt an equal and opposite story to cancel out yours elsewhere on the net!!!
but im taking your advice and hope to be flying around on Christmas Eve
After the capital ship fight I was in, I'm still in awe. At the end of the fight my ship was thrashed so I was hiding inside one of the friendlies watching the battle take place. At one point your told to dock so the fleet can jump out. I docked and stood on the capital ship and looked up through the opening as 2 enemy ships start spewing destruction at the ship I'm docked at. Lots of explosions and then 'blink' we are in a different system. Right out of Battlestar Galactica. :)
I downloaded a mod that lets you get more specific with instructions for your capitals. I'm going to try to use it for quicker transport. Dock with my capital and then order it to jump where I need to go.
Undercover, don't get me wrong there are problems with the game but I just don't think there is a big deal is a lot of other people do. It's my understanding the trade bug has pretty much been worked out in patch 1.18 but every once in a while someone will pop up on the form claiming their trading still is not working. As I stated before I think a lot of people just don't like the design decisions so their hate for the game builds off that...other people are genuinely having performance issues that makes them not like the game.
I'm having fun with it I think it's a great game. I'm not really trying to counterbalance anything I just like talking about my experiences in the game. I haven't really tried to trade yet so I can't comment on that. maybe when I run into the trade bug out I will find myself more annoyed.
Edit: by the way I am playing in sandbox mode and not the campaign I think that may have something to do with it. The campaign is buggy but people are still trying to slam their way through it and are just missing out on the enjoyable parts of the game. Try sandbox with the save game editor give yourself about $1 million so you can upgrade your shipment start having some fun go Cap ships
this will be my first x-perience (man, i amaze myself sometimes) so theres no bias - i think ill do the very very basics of the tutorial like how to fly(!!!) and then jump in
I am walking into a meeting... When I get out, I will get you the links to some mods that help out a lot. In your main rebirth folder, create a new folder called "extensions". This is where mods go and they are activated in game by opening "extensions" in the main menu
You know, the more I read on the forums, it's possible that I didn't repair my captured ship but only my skunk. Either way, I was still able to sell the ship at a shipyard in another sector...who knows. House rules...I never used captured ships...is like driving to work everyday in a stolen car, so doesnt effect me. I suppose it's possible the shit never moved from the original sector but the shipyard still purchased it even though it wasn't in the shipyard sector.... I had just assumed it followed me there because I was able to sell it.
Just throwing it out there as there is a thread on egosoft about the inability or complexity of repairing engines on captured ships
I use the Realistic Hiway mod that gets rid of the fake traffic, the manual commands mod, and the ignore jump fuel mod.
Ok, great mod to deal with post boarding repairs on captured ships:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353254&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Basically, repairs work if you put an engineer on a ship that also had construction drones. Unfortunately, during boarding, we are often told to "destroy the drone pad". If you do, your engineer won't have access to the drones and repairs won't happen. (Which is why some have not been able to repair captured ships)
This mod allows you to buy construction/repair drones for your skunk. Then you land your skunk onto the captured ship containing and engineer. Basically, the engined uses the skunk's drones instead of the native ship drones and repairs commence (although it takes a lot of time...maybe 20 minutes)
The alternative is make sure you are attacking a ship that has construction/repair drones and don't destroy the drone pad when that bimbo tells you to...your marines will still take the ship.
The pathfinding is a little annoying. I just had a freighter fly to a station then fly 35km away from where it needed to go, come within 5k, then go back out 20k, only to eventually pass through the entire station and park at the transfer point...
The game is so close to being absolutely amazing, and then it does weird crap like that.
...i love my free game so far in version 1.18 ...and still exploringthe possibilities
question: on boarding Ops
are the Marines for boarding (not the officer) get all a one-stunt contract, and are gone after a successful, or not successful boarding operation, .... or do they return to the Skunk and you can build up a little private army ...and are there casualties that may need replacements to buy after an assault on a ship?
My marines went away after the boarding action, but the officer stayed on board the ship I captured.
No you still have your Marines. Go talk to the Marine captain and ask him about his skills there you'll see the number of Marines you still have.
Quote from: MikeGER on December 05, 2013, 04:17:08 AM
...i love my free game so far in version 1.18 ...and still exploringthe possibilities
question: on boarding Ops
are the Marines for boarding (not the officer) get all a one-stunt contract, and are gone after a successful, or not successful boarding operation, .... or do they return to the Skunk and you can build up a little private army ...and are there casualties that may need replacements to buy after an assault on a ship?
After you board the ship go find your Marine captain on the ship you just took you can dock with the freighter... Your Marine captain will be standing around somewhere in the ship or freighter you just took find him and tell him to come back on board The skunk. He will automatically bring his Marines with him. To verify how many Marines you have left alive ask the Marine officer about his skills in there you will see a list of veteran, recruit and elite Marines he has
Quote from: mikeck on December 05, 2013, 08:17:30 AM
After you board the ship go find your Marine captain on the ship you just took you can dock with the freighter... Your Marine captain will be standing around somewhere in the ship or freighter you just took find him and tell him to come back on board The skunk. He will automatically bring his Marines with him. To verify how many Marines you have left alive ask the Marine officer about his skills in there you will see a list of veteran, recruit and elite Marines he has
Your absolutely right, I had no idea.
Excellent! ...that is build into the game the way i was hoping for :)
i don't feel strong enuf to already piss off a now friendly fraction... i will explore more of the universe before i start a war, but already have a Marine officer on my ship ( i hope i can board a vessel of the existing enemies)
...and a single Fedhelm to mine for resources/credits so far... and don't even have started leaving the system through a jump-gate
Just remember when boarding that once the pods are launched and on the way, you don't really have to keep blowing stuff up on the ship. Obviously you want to keep the jump drive disabled but don't destroy the drone platform and the engines (that are repaired) as your co pilot instructs. Your marines will take the ship anyway as long as you have 20-25 of them
Do any of you remember the mod that shows what your trade ships are doing on the monitor? I'm having trouble with my ships getting stuck and I don't' find out until it's sat there for hours. I've found a mod to 'fix' that but...its not a mod yet and I don't feel comfortable messing with the game files.
Gotta admit, this thread has me thinking hard about trying out xbirth after all. I've paid $50 for less impressive experiences than mikeck's exploding ship taking out part of a starbase. That sounds awesome!
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on December 05, 2013, 06:14:37 PM
Gotta admit, this thread has me thinking hard about trying out xbirth after all. I've paid $50 for less impressive experiences than mikeck's exploding ship taking out part of a starbase. That sounds awesome!
I am probably going to hold out until xmas sales, but you can get here for about $39. Its a place for steam keys. I have used them for some games in the past and had zero issues.
http://www.kinguin.us/catalogsearch/result/?q=rebirth
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 05, 2013, 06:19:46 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on December 05, 2013, 06:14:37 PM
Gotta admit, this thread has me thinking hard about trying out xbirth after all. I've paid $50 for less impressive experiences than mikeck's exploding ship taking out part of a starbase. That sounds awesome!
I am probably going to hold out until xmas sales, but you can get here for about $39. Its a place for steam keys. I have used them for some games in the past and had zero issues.
http://www.kinguin.us/catalogsearch/result/?q=rebirth
Or if your more comfortable with mainstream, gamefly has it for $39, when you use the coupon code of GFDDEC20
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on December 05, 2013, 06:14:37 PM
Gotta admit, this thread has me thinking hard about trying out xbirth after all. I've paid $50 for less impressive experiences than mikeck's exploding ship taking out part of a starbase. That sounds awesome!
I would wait another few weeks until they get another patch or two under their belt.
Probably will just 'cause I'm filling my plate thanks to great wisdom on games here. For example, I can't wait for spectacular failure in my new digital copy of Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm!
That's a great game. You'll love it
Following the plot and there was a bit of Fawlty Towers humor put in there. :) Egosoft is a team after my own heart lol
Well, I captured 3 ships and sold 2...all from "no limits" mining so they don't like me. I kept the third and ordered if on its first trade. Apparently it's still not fully repaired as only one engine is working but the jump drive works to we are good. It's a liquid tanker so I am starting by picking up some water for sale cheap...not a money maker but I don't want to go for broke on my first time out. Have about 9million in the bank. From here out, I make my money legit...no piracy due to bad rep.
Plan is two but another freighter or two. Then build a station. Eventually, I'm buying a fleet and am going to start taking out the competition to see just how dynamic this economy is
Quote from: republic on December 05, 2013, 09:00:56 PM
Following the plot and there was a bit of Fawlty Towers humor put in there. :) Egosoft is a team after my own heart lol
Ya see --
that's the kind of insight yer only gonna get on Grogheads!
I'm sold!
New 1.19 beta patch. Seems pretty healthy and seems to address any of the problems I have had:
Before downloading this public Beta version, please make sure you read, understand and agree to the Public Beta Rules and Information. By downloading and installing the public Beta, you agree to abide by these rules and accept the disclaimers it contains.
Instructions
1. Make sure that your savegames are backed up!
2. To start using the Beta version. right-click X Rebirth in the Steam client, select Properties and go to the Betas tab. Enter the password IBackedUpMySaves then select public_beta from the dropdown list.
3. To return to using the non-Beta version, select NONE from the same dropdown list. Remember that savegames made using the Beta version may not work when you do this.
Note: Please avoid re-posting the above information outside this forum. If you wish to tell other people about this Beta program, please post a link to this forum so that people joining the Beta are aware of the risks and the rules.
Note: Problems encountered while using a modified game will be considered invalid. Please make sure your game is a clean, unmodified game before you start.
Release Notes
• Fixed major slowdown after loading savegames.
• Fixed several more causes of crashes.
• Fixed more cases of trade ships getting stuck.
• Fixed large ships being unable to trade with Canteran station in DeVries.
• Fixed undocking problems after trading.
• Fixed ammunition trade problems.
• Fixed mining drones getting stuck.
• Fixed negative number of drones in cargo.
• Fixed cargo bays containing more wares than they can hold.
• Fixed cockpit animations hanging.
• Fixed problem with targeting player-owned ships.
• Fixed incorrect player position during highway flight.
• Fixed player owned ships being assigned the wrong commander.
• Fixed ships with missing AI functionality.
• Fixed problems with Engineer functionality.
• Improved flight behaviour for boarding and claiming.
• Improved combat behaviour for capital ships.
• Fixed station defence problems.
• Fixed incorrect defence routines being used on ships.
• Fixed switching the AI mode of the Defence Officer.
• Added defend and attack mode options to Defence Officer.
• Rebalanced skills of existing NPCs in line with new ones.
• Rebalanced contents of boxes and other containers on platforms.
• Rebalanced cost of ship and station repair.
• Fixed transport passenger mission getting blocked after cutscene.
• Fixed sounds not stopping sometimes.
• Fixed buttons not working with mouse input.
• Added facility to unmap controls in control mapping menu (press Delete).
• Added video capture mode with ability to switch off cockpit (Expert settings).
• Fixed too many missing extensions breaking the load game menu.
• Several localisation improvements.
Note: If a problem is not listed as fixed above then it is probably not being addressed in this patch, but may be planned for a future one.
As I slowly learn about the supply/demand needed to build ships and keep things going...I'm convinced that Rebirth is a realtime first person Distant Worlds.
Once we get the ability to interact more with the underlying simulation, I think thats exactly what it will be like.
A couple of handy links:
Wiki: http://www.starfreeze.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
Map: http://www.seizewell.de/rebirth/map/Map-Rebirth.jpg
THX for the head-up mikeck and the 1.19 beta access :)
i found this side very resourceful
http://roguey.co.uk/xrebirth/help/
This is hands down, the most accurate and honest review I've seen:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zE4jofI_rKY
Also puts to rest myths like (x rebirth universe is small)
christmas eve purchase for sure - tis a fine marketing campaign youve run!
So what is the state of the game? I haven't seen an update in quite some time...This worries me.
Anyone still playing?
I have not. I had to keep restarting after each patch so I decided to wait for th to slow down. Iay pick it back up since most of the issues seemed to have been fixed.
I'm the end though, I run into the same problem as x3...boredom
I'm in a storyline mission and the relations are screwed up such that the Heart of Albion and Plutarch won't fight each other. I tried editing them but it didn't work right away and I gave up. I figured I'd come back later to play once Dammit Jim is sleeping more regularly and I can have a better gaming schedule.
Just an update for those who put this one down for awile, there have been several huge patches over the last month that seem to have addressed most of the issues. Now, the game is- in essence- the same...so if you didn't like the overall game, you probably still won't. But, if you were just tired of bugs and such, it is much improved. Here is the latest patch
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=355582&sid=464d4cd53f3b491ced79be4191b9fbc3
...and the earlier ones since feb 1 starting with 1.24
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4214779#4214779
Are these auto updating on steam? I don't remember anything significant over the last few weeks.
Yes, the last was 1.25 and a hotfix. The top link is to 1.30 which is a beta. Sorry, should have mentioned that. Anyway, if you check the update history, you should have gotten a hotfix today (1.26 maybe?)
Edit: I noticed in the 1.30 beta that they now have STEAM WORKSHOP support...which is great for games that have tons of mods.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 02, 2014, 07:45:39 PM
Are these auto updating on steam? I don't remember anything significant over the last few weeks.
They have, current version is 1.25 with Hotfix 1.
PE
I'm a bit disappointed to see that this is still going for $50 on Steam, and the forums are not being kind...even for Steam forums which are notorious for bitching about the target game.
Do we still have to walk around space stations to find people to talk to in the boring side game?
Not only was that dull and a waste of time, the way the space station walkabout was displayed gave me a headache.
Quote from: Toonces on April 02, 2014, 10:25:51 PM
I'm a bit disappointed to see that this is still going for $50 on Steam, and the forums are not being kind...even for Steam forums which are notorious for bitching about the target game.
I see people bitching about rebirth on steam in forums for different games...that's how bad ithe situation is.
Yep. I quit offering my opinion as to how enjoyable I found the game because on different sites, people would take that as some sort of personal attack and just rip into me for some reason... just became annoying. So now I pick it up I play it every now and then. I enjoy it. I like flying around and just looking at stuff. it's definitely not X4...it's just a different kind of game but I dig it. It's definitly not everyone's favorite space trading game
Been awhile since there has been any discussion about this series, but I figured I would mention that there are public test builds of new updates for X3 Albion Prelude, X3 Terran Conflict and X-Rebirth. I'm glad Egosoft is still actively supporting all of these games. Egosoft is also working on a VR exclusive version of Rebirth that will be released to early access sometime in the first half of 2017.
...perhaps the best news of all, though? The developer is working on X4...a true successor to X3, that everyone thought and hoped Rebirth would be. Fingers crossed.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 29, 2016, 04:11:43 PM
Been awhile since there has been any discussion about this series, but I figured I would mention that there are public test builds of new updates for X3 Albion Prelude, X3 Terran Conflict and X-Rebirth. I'm glad Egosoft is still actively supporting all of these games. Egosoft is also working on a VR exclusive version of Rebirth that will be released to early access sometime in the first half of 2017.
...perhaps the best news of all, though? The developer is working on X4...a true successor to X3, that everyone thought and hoped Rebirth would be. Fingers crossed.
I actually started a rebirth game 4 days ago. I run into the same problem that I do with every space/trading/open world type game: I can't enjoy RPG after a while and I need some type of goal. Just flying around and building stuff to no end loses me. Same thing happened to naval action and Elite.
But as far as the game mechanics go I did not run into any bugs and everything seems to be working normally. It's certainly not elite dangerous or star citizen but it's a lot more like the previous X games than it was at release
^ both good news posts.
Perhaps I'll give it another look - in between Star Citizen and Elite >:D
It has come a long way indeed. And if you just can ignore the fact that you're only able to fly the one ship I think Rebirth offers a great experience right now.
The way the world around you is alive and teeming with activity is unprecedented in any other game IMO.
Still, I would like X4 sooner rather than Rebirth. :) Big empire building is what makes these games so cool and Rebirth misses that mark just by a bit.